The Official Boxing Thread

Options

Comments

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/vasyl-lomachenko-go-on-world-tour-2018--123112
    Vasyl Lomachenko To Go on a World Tour in 2018?
    By Steve Kim

This weekend from the Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York City, WBO super featherweight titlist Vasyl Lomachenko (9-1, 7 KOs) faces Guillermo Rigondeaux (17-0, 11 KOs) in an unprecedented battle of two-time Olympic gold medalists that will be televised on ESPN.

If Lomachenko should come out victorious, what's in store for the gifted southpaw in 2018?

"You can not believe the proposals that I have from all over the world who want a Lomachenko fight," said his promoter, Bob Arum of Top Rank, to BoxingScene.com. "I mean from Asia, to Europe to the Middle East, everybody wants Lomachenko. Maybe we'll have him do his next fight in Australia, England or the Middle East because ESPN has shown a great willingness to do fights from outside the country. And then bring him back here."

Lomachenko has already captured featherweight and super featherweight titles and Arum added - "I would say by the end of the year he'll be challenging for a world lightweight title."

As for how many times he'll perform in 2018, Arum explained," Lomachenko will fight in 2018 at least three times. He's going in December this year and then three more times. I said to Lomachenko four times a year but we're not on a calendar year."

This will be Lomachenko's first fight in the venue since his one-punch fifth-round knockout victory of three-time WBO junior lightweight champion Roman "Rocky" Martinez on June 11, 2016 to claim Martinez's title.

The Martinez victory not only made Lomachenko a two-division world champion, but he once again he broke a record doing it, winning world title No. 2 in a record least amount of fights -- seven.

Lomachenko captured his first world title -- the vacant WBO featherweight title -- winning a scintillating majority decision over the previously unbeaten and future world champion Gary Russell Jr. on June 21, 2014. It remains the only blemish on Russell's record.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lomachenko need to focus on this Cuban Boxing lesson my boy Rigo about to give him on Saturday. Let's go champ
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    4 days to fight night and still no promo...they really protecting this CAC and hurting Rigo
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    4 days to fight night and still no promo...they really protecting this CAC and hurting Rigo

this is ? . for a number of reasons
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

this is ? . for a number of reasons

go on...
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ill narrow it down to one line..

they are ? fighting saturday
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they did underpromote this fight tho
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/rigondeaux-what-happened-brook-khan-happen-me--123140
    Rigondeaux: What Happened to Brook, Khan Won't Happen to Me
    By Keith Idec

NEW YORK – Guillermo Rigondeaux thinks too much has been made about him moving up two weight classes to challenge Vasyl Lomachenko.

The unbeaten Cuban southpaw has never weighed in at more than 125½ pounds for any of his 18 professional bouts, but will battle Lomachenko at the super featherweight limit of 130 pounds Saturday night. The long-reigning WBA super bantamweight champion considers skill more important than weight, though, and the two-time Olympic gold medalist feels he has been underestimated entering their 12-round title fight in The Theater at Madison Square Garden.

“[Weight] has nothing to do with it,” Rigondeaux said through a translator before an open workout Wednesday at Mendez Boxing Gym. “When there’s quality, you don’t need size or anything else.”

Based on their face-to-face meetings, Rigondeaux doesn’t think Lomachenko is all that much bigger than him.

Ukraine’s Lomachenko (9-1, 7 KOs), who began his professional career at featherweight (126 pounds) four years ago, is listed at 5-feet-6. Rigondeaux (17-0, 11 KOs, 1 NC), who has been almost exclusively a super bantamweight (122) since he turned pro eight years ago, is listed at 5-feet-4.

There is a clause in their contracts that prohibits either fighter from weighing more than 138 pounds during a second-day weigh-in Saturday morning. Rigondeaux refused to answer Wednesday when asked how much he expects to weigh at the official weigh-in Friday afternoon, at the second-day weigh-in or when he enters the ring Saturday night.

“More weight than what they think and less than what they really imagine,” Rigondeaux said. “Less than 140 and more than 122. You’ll see at the weigh-in.”

Regardless, Rigondeaux is confident he’ll fare far better than other boxers who’ve moved up two weight classes for big fights in recent years.

“What happened with Brook and what happened with Amir Khan,” Rigondeaux said, “it’s gonna be different because I’m gonna win.”

Rigondeaux referenced England’s Kell Brook, who was stopped by Gennady Golovkin in the fifth round when Brook moved up from welterweight for a middleweight title fight in September 2016 in London. England’s Khan, another welterweight, also got knocked out by Canelo Alvarez in the sixth round when he moved up for their middleweight title fight in May 2016 in Las Vegas.

ESPN will televise the bout between Lomachenko, 29, and Rigondeaux, 37, as the main event of a four-fight telecast set to start Saturday night at 9 p.m. EST/6 p.m. PST.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/caribe-sues-roc-nation-over-lomachenko-rigondeaux-fight--123141
    Caribe Sues Roc Nation Over Lomachenko-Rigondeaux Fight

According to numerous reports, Miami-based Caribe Promotions has sued Roc Nation Sports in Manhattan Supreme Court for allegedly freezing them out of Saturday's fight between two Olympic gold medalists Guillermo Rigondeaux and Vasyl Lomachenko, which takes place at The Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The fight is being televised as the main event on ESPN.

Caribe, who became Rigondeaux’s lead promoter in 2009, cut a co-promotional deal with Roc Nation in November of 2015.

According to the court documents, Roc Nation cut a deal for Saturday's fight with Lomachenko's promoter, Top Rank, without telling Caribe.

Caribe also claim in the lawsuit papers that Roc Nation dropped their name from promotional materials and refused to give them tickets to the event or approve their attendance at press conferences.

According to Caribe’s Vice President Luis Fonseca, the freeze out is in response to his refusal to pay for $108,000 in expenses related to another fight in June - when Rigondeaux stopped Moises Flores in the first round on the Andre Ward vs. Sergey Kovalev rematch at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. The fight was later changed to a no-decision after it was determined that Flores as hit after the bell.

Fonseca acknowledges the $108K amount, but says he was never warned about the costs. Caribe is asking the judge to force Roc Nation to share promotional perks for Saturday’s bout.

Caribe claim that it will suffer "disastrous" financial consequences if it's brand name is not featured prominently in the fight.

"Denying Caribe the benefit of association with its marquee fighter in this historic bout cannot be remedied by money damages," Fonseca said in an affidavit.

The suit indicates that the two promoters are already in arbitration regarding a breach of their agreement. Caribe says it sued because the arbitration will not be resolved before the fight. The suit seeks an emergency court order, allowing Caribe to act as co-promoter of the event.
  • JLacey
    JLacey Members Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Lomachenko need to focus on this Cuban Boxing lesson my boy Rigo about to give him on Saturday. Let's go champ

Rigo bout 50 fr. ? bout to get his ass beat
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree. I dont feel rigo or his team is prepared for lolochenko
  • Koltrain
    Koltrain Members Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dontae reporting that ESPN removed Teddy Atlas from the broadcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zay2A1Wy4Xs
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/espn-confirms-teddy-atlas-work-loma-rigo-broadcast--123152
    ESPN Confirms Teddy Atlas Won't Work Loma-Rigo Broadcast
    By Keith Idec

Longtime ESPN boxing analyst Teddy Atlas won’t work the cable network’s telecast Saturday night of the highly anticipated Vasyl Lomachenko-Guillermo Rigondeaux fight.

Yahoo! Sports’ Chris Mannix reported Wednesday that the outspoken Atlas, a former trainer who has worked ESPN boxing broadcasts for nearly 20 years, won’t take his usual ringside seat alongside blow-by-blow announcer Joe Tessitore in The Theater at Madison Square Garden. The move comes less than month after Atlas spent a significant portion of an ESPN broadcast verbally sparring against Mark Kriegel, a former newspaper columnist and new member of the network’s announcing team.

That distracting dynamic drew criticism from television and radio columnists and fans following the November 11 broadcast from Fresno, California.

It is not known if the arguing between the always-animated Atlas and Kriegel had anything to do with Atlas’ removal from the Lomachenko-Rigondeaux broadcast or if it’s a permanent move. Stephanie Druley, an ESPN senior vice president for event and studio production, did tell Mannix that Staten Island’s Atlas, 61, has provided a feature piece for Saturday’s telecast and will continue to contribute to the network’s boxing coverage.

“Teddy’s expertise and knowledge of boxing is unparalleled and he will continue to be part of our boxing coverage,” Druley said. “As we embark upon a new approach with our boxing coverage, we are also going to utilize different talent lineups.”

She did not confirm the team that’ll work Saturday’s telecast.

The four-fight telecast is scheduled to begin at 9 p.m. EST/6 p.m. PST. In addition to the 12-round, 130-pound title bout between Ukraine’s Lomachenko (9-1, 7 KOs) and Cuba’s Rigondeaux (17-0, 11 KOs, 1 NC), it’ll include fights featuring 2016 Olympic silver medalist Shakur Stevenson (3-0, 1 KO), a featherweight from Newark, New Jersey, Irish featherweight prospect Michael Conlan (4-0, 4 KOs) and Puerto Rican super featherweight contender Christopher Diaz (21-0, 13 KOs).
  • JLacey
    Options

Fight is already sold out. They don’t have to. That’s just spending money for no reason. They just saving money. People gonna watch regardless
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rigo for the W!!!!
  • JLacey
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    Rigo for the W!!!!

Bet 50
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JLacey wrote: »
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    Rigo for the W!!!!

Bet 50

I don't do internet money bets
    fd19cfc4d297fce7300d1f02e01d7d07_400x400.jpeg
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
  • JLacey
    Options
    I got 100 for any of you ? taking Rigo
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol ? too little. Buttah 75 today or 100 Saturday
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/rigondeaux-im-gonna-just-beat-sht-out-lomachenko--123159
    Rigondeaux: I'm Gonna Just Beat the Sh*t Out of Lomachenko!
    By Keith Idec

NEW YORK – Guillermo Rigondeaux is 37 years old, has fought a total of three rounds in the past two years and has moved up two weight classes to challenge one of the best boxers in the world.

You wouldn’t know it.

The supremely confident Cuban southpaw promised Wednesday to “beat the sh*t out of” Vasyl Lomachenko when they square off Saturday night in The Theater at Madison Square Garden. Ukraine’s Lomachenko (9-1, 7 KOs), the defending WBO super featherweight champion, is more than a 3-1 favorite over Rigondeaux (17-0, 11 KOs, 1 NC) in this unprecedented clash between two-time Olympic gold medalists.

Rigondeaux, who has competed almost all of his professional career within the super bantamweight division, has paid no mind to doubtful fans, media and odds-makers.

“I have no idea,” Rigondeaux told BoxingScene.com when asked to assess Lomachenko’s skills. “I don’t even look at that sh*t. I adapt, no problem. Like with anyone else, we’re gonna resolve this issue and I’m gonna just beat the sh*t out of him. I know what I’m bringing. I don’t know what the hell he’s bringing, but I know what I’m bringing. I’m bringing mine.”

Known as one of the best defensive fighters in boxing, Rigondeaux didn’t divulge whether he plans to be more aggressive offensively in this scheduled 12-round bout to keep Lomachenko from pressing him.

“Each opponent is different and I adapt to each opponent,” Rigondeaux said. “Sometimes it takes more offense, sometimes it takes more defense. We adjust as we’re in the ring.”

Beyond being able to make weight more easily because he won’t need to cut eight extra pounds, Rigondeaux didn’t do anything different to prepare for this high-profile fight than in previous camps.

“We trained well and we’re 100 percent,” Rigondeaux said. “We had a great training camp. We always train hard for every opponent.”

ESPN will air Lomachenko-Rigondeaux as the main event of a four-fight telecast Saturday night (9 p.m. EST/6 p.m. PST).

Rigo Season is almost here ? ...

Just like i said. Rigo has no game plan for lomochenko. His trainers is just as lost as he is
  • JLacey
    Options
    Fights not going the distance. Rigo too small. I see a late stoppage