Madlib thread

Options
BobOblah
BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
I’ve never fully dug into his work but I feel like it’s up my alley. Best projects? Post your favorite beats/songs.

Comments

• BobOblah
    edited December 2017
    Options
    That’s like one of the only madlib projects I do have lol
  • Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    delete this thread, the less ? know about him, the longer I can enjoy the music.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Madvillain (MF DOOM Rapping, Madlib Producing) - Madvillainy

Madvillainy_cover.png

R-29402-1182745411.jpeg.jpg

^Very first break into the music scene with his friends. Madlib Raps on it and does all the beats. Madlib, Wildchild, and DJ Romes

R-158142-1431784416-1023.jpeg.jpg
    Madlib Remixing songs from Blue Note Records Catalog

Champion_Sound_album_cover.jpg

Jaylib. J Dilla and Madlib Collab album.

They took turns on each song. One song will be a J Dilla Rapped song with Madlib Beat, next song will be a Madlib Rapped song over a J Dilla Beat.

PerceeP-Perseverance_cover.jpg

Percee P is a legendary MC from New York. He should have been a bigger deal, but he always stuck to selling mixtapes out of his backpack, even to this day.

He signed to Stones Throw in the early 2000's and Madlib produced his entire album. Pretty dope album.

STH2243CD.jpg

Guilty Simpson (Detroit MC signed to Stones Throw) had Madlib Produce the entirety of his album OJ Simpson

He also has a series of Instrumental mixtapes called Madlib Medicine Show. There are a TON of them, but the original 12 were released awhile back and for awhile the theme was Madlib would select songs from a certain country/region and sample them for that specific mixtape.

One mixtape would feature beats of sampled indian music, the next would feature beats from african music.

Lot of dope beats in there.

His Quasimoto albums are cool too, but getting used to that high pitched voice took me awhile.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quasimoto is dope as hell to me
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Quasi is dope. Always go back to Adventures Of Lord Quas.
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never been into instrumental albums hard but I greatly enjoyed the Shades of Blue album. Of course the other albums already dropped in this thread are great too: Gibbs, DOOM, and the collab with Dilla

Was never a fan of his Quasimoto stuff though
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Two words: Beat Konducta. Madlib is in a whole other realm when it comes to production. He has ? in his catalogue where you can sit, vibe and at the very worst ask "where in the ? did he find this?".

As far as albums... aside from the obvious Madvillian, Lootpack and Jaylib joints, my favorite albums he produced are WLIB, Liberation with Talib Kweli and Searching For Stoney Jackson with Strong Arm Steady.

https://youtu.be/U1Iw402J_qg
    https://youtu.be/fMNgBQlByoY
    https://youtu.be/1um9AfbDKus

@Lou_Cypher I necessarily didn't have to do this cuz I'm a weirdo, but most cats that ? with Quas, particularly The Unseen, had to be on acid or shrooms to appreciate it.
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And while I'm here... a couple years back I had a Madlib beat tape called 62 Beats Feb 2005. I can't find it anywhere; all the links are dead and the only torrent available is seedless. If anyone has it in their collection... I got these cheeseburgers man.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    Options
    ? gave some ? to Dudley Perkins too
  • Lou Cypher
    Options

Dudley Perkins is so Underrated lol. Never hear anyone talking about him. His wife is pretty dope too, Georgia Ann Muldrow or w/e her name is.
  • BobOblah
    Options
    Oh yea I had that Talib joint too at some point cuz I’m a big Talib fan, I don’t think I have it anymore. Will have to re-download
  • BobOblah
    edited December 2017
    Options
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »

Dudley Perkins is so Underrated lol. Never hear anyone talking about him. His wife is pretty dope too, Georgia Ann Muldrow or w/e her name is.

Thats his wife?!? ? bagged one of the illest beatmaking females chill.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »

Thats his wife?!? ? bagged one of the illest beatmaking females chill.

Yep. Not sure if they are still married, but they were married back in the early stone throw days. 2004-2008ish
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Unseen, too.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »
    The Unseen, too.

I ? with Unseen hardbody. But on Adventures beatwise imo Madlib went a little more crazy
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    edited December 2017
    Options
  • So ILL
    Options
    That ? got music forever and under a million different names with a lot of different ? , it's probably just easier to just find a Madlib mix somewhere and let it ride. I'd start off with Quasimoto or Lootpack (his group) and go from there. That Soundpieces: Da Antidote and Lost Tapes albums are my ? forever. Madvillainy (with DOOM), The ? with Gibbs, Dilla, the Beat Konducta instrumentals, Shades of Blue are all fire, too.
  • So ILL
    Options
    The Unseen, too.

I ? with Unseen hardbody. But on Adventures beatwise imo Madlib went a little more crazy
    Yeah, that Unseen, you can tell he was just chilling hard and was in the zone. That ? was super high on Further Adventures..lol
  • BobOblah
    Options
    That ? got music forever and under a million different names with a lot of different ? , it's probably just easier to just find a Madlib mix somewhere and let it ride. I'd start off with Quasimoto or Lootpack (his group) and go from there. That Soundpieces: Da Antidote and Lost Tapes albums are my ? forever. Madvillainy (with DOOM), The ? with Gibbs, Dilla, the Beat Konducta instrumentals, Shades of Blue are all fire, too.

Lol that’s what it seemed like which is why I needed yall to tell me what the best ? is
  • So ILL
    Options
    BobOblah wrote: »

Lol that’s what it seemed like which is why I needed yall to tell me what the best ? is
    He got ? for days, bruh. The ? I listed ain't nowhere close to all of his ? I like. You just gotta find a mix lol.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    He also has "yesterday's new quintet" which is jazz. He takes jazz records and samples different instruments and uses those samples to make new songs.
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TALIB KWELI/MADLIB: LIBERATION

SHORT & SWEET...BUT REALLY DOPE.