Identity Politics Run Amok: Autism is a culture?

Options
13»

Comments

• 808HiLife808
    808HiLife808 Members Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    .....as soon as america gets "the good doctor"...this
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Interesting discussion. Just heard about this girl with down syndrome. She's apparently a (special?) Olympics champion and model now. I'm an ? , but her story was actually uplifting and interesting. Still kind of weird to me though, especially the modeling part. Thought it would be relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7dt573_JM0
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think i have autism but i cant be sure

Lmao
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    Well many people function perfectly fine with autism. There’s adults all over that fell through the cracks like me that are autistic as ? but never got a diagnosis.

You've probably got Asperger's..........not autism.

'Thinking I might have it to, but I'm not gonna do anything about it.

Either that or I'm just crazy.

All the Up North ? I come in contact with say I'm..........."7:30."

Something's definitely wrong with me, but...............

lpplowmjwwsw.gif
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still dont know what the ? autism is ? get off the spectrum. So its muthafuckas that daydreamed and didnt talk back in elementary school?
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Autism and gender dysphoria are just the beginning.

If we start telling people their mental and medical problems are valid and no cause for concern we create some dangerous ideas.

*We tell anorexics that its okay to be anorexic.
    *We let people with body dymorphoria chop off perfect healthy limbs because they think something is wrong with
    *We let people who have phantom pain believe their pain is real
    *We let people with PTSD think their thoughts are normal.
    *We let people with bipolar disorder act however they want because theres nothing wrong with them

There's no such thing as mental problems, we're all just "special" and "different" despite the fact that mental illness is highly correlated with violence, criminal behavior and suicide.

The thing with mental illness, is people have a right to refuse treatment. Nobody can make you address whatever is ailing you, physically or otherwise, unless there's some legal reason for it (you've lost power of attorney, you are a risk to society, etc). People can get a diagnosis and do nothing about it and from a bioethics standpoint they can't make you address it. I say that to say, even if more professionals got on board with the gender dysphoria criticisms, there technically isn't anything they could do to force the issue or pressure people to use meds or anything
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »

If we start telling people their mental and medical problems are valid and no cause for concern we create some dangerous ideas.

*We let people with body dymorphoria chop off perfect healthy limbs because they think something is wrong with
    *We let people with bipolar disorder act however they want because theres nothing wrong with them

There's no such thing as mental problems, we're all just "special" and "different" despite the fact that mental illness is highly correlated with violence, criminal behavior and suicide.

The thing with mental illness, is people have a right to refuse treatment. Nobody can make you address whatever is ailing you, physically or otherwise, unless there's some legal reason for it (you've lost power of attorney, you are a risk to society, etc). People can get a diagnosis and do nothing about it and from a bioethics standpoint they can't make you address it. I say that to say, even if more professionals got on board with the gender dysphoria criticisms, there technically isn't anything they could do to force the issue or pressure people to use meds or anything

That's all very true, which is incredibly sad.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In some ways, but it's a necessary evil sometimes. In order to preserve that freedom, we need limits on the power we give doctors. If we don't restrict that power we end up with situations where they can diagnose and lock up anyone they think fits the diagnostic criteria, or force people to get surgeries or other procedures that they do not want. Imagine if doctor's forced Bob to amputate his toe because it's for his own good? It would be a huge abuse of power.
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is political power to obtain by being considered a distinct group.

There is no political consideration given to those who are just white. Hence lgbt, disability groups, old folks, etc etc. It all started with white women successfully lobbying to get covered under civil rights legislation as distinct and marginalized class.

Basically white people have found a way to gain considerations under civil rights legislation while marginalizing the very people it was intended to serve--Black people.
  • jono
    edited December 2017
    Options

In some ways, but it's a necessary evil sometimes. In order to preserve that freedom, we need limits on the power we give doctors. If we don't restrict that power we end up with situations where they can diagnose and lock up anyone they think fits the diagnostic criteria, or force people to get surgeries or other procedures that they do not want. Imagine if doctor's forced Bob to amputate his toe because it's for his own good? It would be a huge abuse of power.

It's a damnable situation.
    We don't want to create a society where people can be forcefully medicated or treated against their will, but I still don't think placating their illness is a positive thing.

That's dangerous.

• jono
    Options
    LordZuko wrote: »
    There is political power to obtain by being considered a distinct group.

There is no political consideration given to those who are just white. Hence lgbt, disability groups, old folks, etc etc. It all started with white women successfully lobbying to get covered under civil rights legislation as distinct and marginalized class.

Basically white people have found a way to gain considerations under civil rights legislation while marginalizing the very people it was intended to serve--Black people.

Absolutely.

I always make sure to separate those with legitimate gender dysphoria with these transtrenders who just want to be anything other than a straight white male.

The self-hate in white America (and Canada, and Europe) is amazing. I literally feel like I woke up one day and all of white America decided the enemy was itself and they started chewing off their own arms and legs.