Official Star Wars Cinematic Universe Thread: Now Showing : Ep VIII - The Last Jedi (15 Dec)

Options

Comments

• Agrv2385
    Agrv2385 Members Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sooooo what was the point of Snoke then?

exactly.....have a ? thats supposedly stronger than anakin and the emperor, and then give us no explanation where he came from or how he came to be. He;s been around awhile if he had turned Ben while he was training like Luke said. So how did he even know about the skywalkers or any of that ? ? Sounds like some lazy ass writing to me. And if that ? can manipulate and read kylo's thoughts how he catch that body then??? gtfoh.
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LordZuko wrote: »
    I'm just here to talk about how trash episode 8 was.
    It's actually worse than phantom menace.

This was the first star wars movie where i was bored after 10minutes.

First 10 minutes was a spaceship fight so how is that possible?

"After ten minutes" major key
  • LordZuko
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    I'm just here to talk about how trash episode 8 was.
    It's actually worse than phantom menace.

This was the first star wars movie where i was bored after 10minutes.

its your opinion but gtfoh , phantom menace really ? .

Worse.

Here's why

1) the movie doubles down on all the ? you hated about phantom menace and return of the Jedi
    Remember pod racing? Now you've got horse racing
    Remember how everyone hated little orphan anakin? Now you've got dozens of orphaned kids?
    Remember ewoks? Now we got these over cgi created little penguin bird ?
    Jar jar binks was such a hated character that we'll give you more purposeless cgi characters.

Remember how people love the r2d2 c3po dynamic? None of that.

The only saving grace in phantom menace is the 30 minutes of darth maul qui gon and obi fight.

There's no such thing in this movie. There's not even a light saber fight in this movie. Not between rey and kylo not between luke and rey or even luke and kylo.

The one redeeming factor phantom menace had is absent in ep 8.

Which makes this movie worse.

I'll post more about why this movie sucked later
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agrv2385 wrote: »

exactly.....have a ? thats supposedly stronger than anakin and the emperor, and then give us no explanation where he came from or how he came to be. He;s been around awhile if he had turned Ben while he was training like Luke said. So how did he even know about the skywalkers or any of that ? ? Sounds like some lazy ass writing to me. And if that ? can manipulate and read kylo's thoughts how he catch that body then??? gtfoh.

People are really forgiving the ? poor writing of this movie. I wouldn't have as big of a problem with this movie if it would have explained well just about anything
    All this movie left me with was a bunch of ? questions. Who is Snoke? Why did Luke try to ? Kylo instead of working his jedi magic on him? Why does the ? first order even exist? How the hell do Kylo and Rey have a force bond akin to Luke and Leia(Snoke couldn't have forced a bond like that otherwise he could have done it with Luke)? Where the hell are these movies going?
  • Agrv2385
    edited December 2017
    Options

People are really forgiving the ? poor writing of this movie. I wouldn't have as big of a problem with this movie if it would have explained well just about anything
    All this movie left me with was a bunch of ? questions. Who is Snoke? Why did Luke try to ? Kylo instead of working his jedi magic on him? Why does the ? first order even exist? How the hell do Kylo and Rey have a force bond akin to Luke and Leia(Snoke couldn't have forced a bond like that otherwise he could have done it with Luke)? Where the hell are these movies going?

yep and what exactly are we left with for Ep 9 to anticipate since we didnt get any proper resolutions to the questions Ep 7 brought along? a rey and ren encounter? Thats about all thats left. All the OT cast is gone, Leia probably wont be in 9 very much so were just left with Rey, Finn and Poe to carry the whole third movie? They aint that interesting. So what loose ends are left to tie up or will we get more ? cop outs like we did here.
  • LordZuko
    Options

Luke trying to ? kylo is the most uncharacteristic thing about the movie.

Remember the original trilogy is abouta son redeeming his father. An actual Sith Lord. The most savage ? in all Jedi history yet Luke was still able to see the good in him and spent a whole film doing so.

Kylo was a little dark and Luke considers mercing him, in his sleep?

The same kylo who is the son of his twin sister and best friend?

Doesn't make sense.

If Luke did become this person, how? We don't get this. We just get a bunch of presuppositions without context.
  • LordZuko
    Options
    Secondly, the writers don't understand the dark side.

The dark side doesn't exist as some separate entity. It's part of the force.

Force sensitives are seduced to the dark side of the force, usually by moral or character failings revenge greed ? for power given to anger. Basically the 7 deadly sins. So what is kylo tempted to the dark side by? There is no motivation for this character hence why he is unappealing and does not seem like s threat despite his power. He comes off like a emo little ? .

So what was ben solo's journey to the dark side? It couldn't have been Luke trying to ? him because that's after the fact.
  • Agrv2385
    Options

Force sensitives are seduced to the dark side of the force, usually by moral or character failings revenge greed ? for power given to anger. Basically the 7 deadly sins. So what is kylo tempted to the dark side by? There is no motivation for this character hence why he is unappealing and does not seem like s threat despite his power. He comes off like a emo little ? .

So what was ben solo's journey to the dark side? It couldn't have been Luke trying to ? him because that's after the fact.

apparently by that time snoke already had kylo's heart, luke said he sensed it in his training. But since we dont know ? about snoke we dont know what seduced kylo to the dark side. or even what snoke saw in ben to sense there was darkness in him so that he could be lured.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

apparently by that time snoke already had kylo's heart, luke said he sensed it in his training. But since we dont know ? about snoke we dont know what seduced kylo to the dark side. or even what snoke saw in ben to sense there was darkness in him so that he could be lured.

That's my whole point, without understanding who Snoke is and what his reasons are none of this ? makes sense. I'm trying to understand how people have forgiven the fact that even the questions they answered were half assed, that explaination of who Rey's parents are is some ? I don't care what you say.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kylo killed han......pretty sure luke thought about preventing it with his saber but couldn't ? his young apprentice
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been thinking.... What if they borrow from dark empire and snoke has clone bodies so he reincarnates himself into a new snoke body in the next movie
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm blinded by bias but I will say that I didn't like how the movie jumped around so much between poe, finn, and rey

It wasn't smooth transitions imo plus I don't think there needed to be so much emphasis on the whole rebellion running outta gas thing and finn is unnecessary as a character to me. Like he's not important at all sadly

Leia flying through space turned me off too

But the opening scene was great
  • Beta
    Options
    I will however defend what happened with snoke, rey, and kylo though because it added so much to kylo's character as far as depth imo

That being said, I don't hate the movie but I would prefer if Rian doesn't direct the next one. (I can't remember who is)
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    I will however defend what happened with snoke, rey, and kylo though because it added so much to kylo's character as far as depth imo

That being said, I don't hate the movie but I would prefer if Rian doesn't direct the next one. (I can't remember who is)

JJ ABRHAMS
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You guys bring up some very good and relevant questions

Of course, some folks are going to try to explain the hows,what, & why
    But that's the WRITER(s) of the film job! Not the fans.

Visually this is the most impressive movie in the series and directing and cinematography were A-1

But the writing and plot just came off as..."meh". The editing in certain scenes were choppy to

And reading that the director/writer of the movie admit that he had no story outline going in REALLY shows once you put the film under greater scrutiny

• Beta
    Options
    Beta wrote: »

JJ ABRHAMS

Ahh okay but what if we isnt ambitious enough?

He has to have quality lightsaber usage in it also. Like prequel level
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    ? was cool. Space/vehicle battles were dope but melee fight choreography is trash on this new trilogy. That’s my only complaint. They need to bring back whoever did the fight scenes for Revenge of the Sith, because these ? look Youtube fanfictionish
  • Inglewood_B
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Say what y’all want about Hayden Christensen stiff acting... that ? knew how to swing a lightsaber.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Say what y’all want about Hayden Christensen stiff acting... that ? knew how to swing a lightsaber.

They used wu shu and kenpo fighting techniques . the prequel trilogies were going for agile and flashy fight choreography.
  • Inglewood_B
    Options

They used wu shu and kenpo fighting techniques . the prequel trilogies were going for agile and flashy fight choreography.

Do it again for episode 9 or expand on the force powers like some force unleashed type ?
  • LordZuko
    Options
    ? want the old wars buy the old movie

Ok. But this ain't new star wars.

Literally the only thing connecting the new trilogy to the original is that some guys sometimes might use a light saber.
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Snoke was useless, Finn and Rose was useless and didn't even accomplish their mission. And their love story was forced.

Poe defying authority ran on a little too long.