Official Star Wars Cinematic Universe Thread: Now Showing : Ep VIII - The Last Jedi (15 Dec)

Options

Comments

• texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Now that I think none of the characters accomplished anything except Rose sister and Luke with the diversion at the end. What was the point of the whole Benincio Del Toro storyline
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    texas409 wrote: »
    Now that I think none of the characters accomplished anything except Rose sister and Luke with the diversion at the end. What was the point of the whole Benincio Del Toro storyline

The theme of this movie was failure . the point was to show that the good guys don't always succeed. Look at how Poe's actions cost the lives of many and the plan he hatched with Finn cost the lives of the fleet. Also luke fucosimg on his past failure with ben i'm paraphrasing a post I read on gta forums.
  • thegreatunknown
    thegreatunknown Members Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I enjoyed Rebels much more than Last Jedi. The Force Awakens more, but not by much. Although it was a good movie, the buildup to certain aspects and then the results shown were a let down.

When you say rebels do you mean rougue one? I stopped liking staw wars rebels for some reason. I only like when guest stars like lando, tarkin , Leia or Darth Vader shows up. It has a few good episodes other than that the show sort of bores me and I don't like the crew especially that big purple cat looking dude. It doesn't feel like cannon.

Yea, I meant Rogue One, got it mixed up with the animated series...
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Luke contemplating killing kylo isn't that crazy to me.He's older and saw what Kylo would become plus he didn't do it.

Plus going back to the prequels,the Jedi can be kinda controlling at times.That's why Luke is disillusioned.hypocrisy

And yes failure is a running theme.but rose and Finn's mission really was a success because they inspired new rebels with the kid.
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    texas409 wrote: »

The theme of this movie was failure . the point was to show that the good guys don't always succeed. Look at how Poe's actions cost the lives of many and the plan he hatched with Finn cost the lives of the fleet. Also luke fucosimg on his past failure with ben i'm paraphrasing a post I read on gta forums.

It was failure due to gross incompetence, stupidity and moral cowardice.

If you take these forced issues out of the movie it gave falls apart.

1)if the vice admiral shares her strategy with the remaining crew let alone poe it would have saved countless lives and erased that stupid rose and finn sub plot

2) if luke doesn't try to ? ben in his sleep, but tries to teach him to mitigate the influence of the dark side there's no kylo ren. Luke acts out of character for the sake of plot.

3)if Luke was resigned to let the Jedi order die, why did he leave his emergency contact information?

4) why didn't the First Order send out for fast cruisers to hyper jump to their location and finish off the fledgling new republic/rebels?

That slow speed chase in space is the dumbest ? ever. It added tension but only because Hux is a ? ? .

The theme of the movie is failure because of bad writing.
  • LordZuko
    Options
    In the prequels it took years of training to learn force powers like levitation.

Anakin was a teen in clone wars just really grasping how to levitate small objects. And Anakin was established as one of the most raw talent Jedi and eventually most powerful Jedi in history.

How the ? does Rey lift up a group of heavy ass stones and hold them in the air, when previously she had no control over lifting even small pebbles?

Whether you are a Sith or a Jedi it takes focus to master use of the force, not a two day seminar with Luke Skywalker's "How to become a Jedi in three easy steps"
  • LordZuko
    Options
    How does Rey get the jump on Luke? Luke's been a Jedi for forty or fifty years. Rey has been montaging light saber swings against a rock for 12 hours but she gets good enough to not only get the upper hand on a Jedi master but the ? Praetorian guards of Snoke? Kylo was struggling pvp against one guard at one time but Rey snuffs hers no sweat?

The ability to master force powers has always been about control mental and emotional discipline. Whether you are talking about the Sith using and harnessing negative emotions or the Jedi learning to subdue and detach from emotions. Rey has never established this.

This is why i say neither the writing staff nor the director understood the material, they just wanted to ? on the already established lore in order to go in their own direction and profit off the name.

They put out a subpar product as a result.

Episode 8 is low-key on the same scale as this last Ghostbusters
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think kylo lied about her parents
  • (ob)Scene
    (ob)Scene Members Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beta wrote: »

Kylo didnt tell her anything about her parents. He asked and she answered the question herself. And that was after it was implied in the cave.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    (ob)Scene wrote: »
    Beta wrote: »

Kylo didnt tell her anything about her parents. He asked and she answered the question herself. And that was after it was implied in the cave.
    he said they were just junkies pretty much who sold her for cheap. I think he saw something diff to hide it from her
  • LordZuko
    Options
    You're an imbecile. You respond to valid criticism with emotional outburst.

This a grown folks table, boy
  • LordZuko
    Options
    The meta theme of star wars is that the classic heroics of male heroes are actually symptoms of toxic masculinity and that if the men just went along with the women everything would be fine.

Adventure and action movies are a predominantly male interest. However the leadership roles are assigned to female characters. The male protagonists are taken from this heroic height to being superfluous, impetuous cowards as reflected in Finn, Poe and Luke.

Even the male antagonists are portrayed as bratty children and not some galaxy level evil threat.

Females with no prior feats are just awarded power Rey and Leia specifically.

This movie and the direction of this franchise is the subversion of masculinity.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LordZuko wrote: »
    The meta theme of star wars is that the classic heroics of male heroes are actually symptoms of toxic masculinity and that if the men just went along with the women everything would be fine.

Adventure and action movies are a predominantly male interest. However the leadership roles are assigned to female characters. The male protagonists are taken from this heroic height to being superfluous, impetuous cowards as reflected in Finn, Poeand Luke.

Even the male antagonists are portrayed as bratty children and not some galaxy level evil threat.

This movie and the direction of this franchise is the subversion of masculinity.

Poe was far from a coward he was in a x wing going against a Dreadnought 1 on 1 taking out its cannons .
  • Splackavelli
    edited December 2017
    Options
  • Splackavelli
    Options

Yeah and you're a nerd who nitpicks those things in star wars movies nobody else usually gives a ? about because you have too much time on your hands.
  • LordZuko
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »

Adventure and action movies are a predominantly male interest. However the leadership roles are assigned to female characters. The male protagonists are taken from this heroic height to being superfluous, impetuous cowards as reflected in Finn, Poeand Luke.

Poe was far from a coward he was in a x wing going against a Dreadnought 1 on 1 taking out its cannons .

I didn't say he was a coward. He was depicted as a cocky brash ? , an alpha type. Which is why the first thing Leia did was demote him after a botched plan.
    Basically they turned the heroism he displayed and was lauded for in the last movie on its head and used it to castigate him.

Which is also why the vice admiral, the first thing she said to him is "i know your type" "flyboy" "dangerous" they also put her in heels or whatever to tower over him as she was confronting him.
  • LordZuko
    Options

Yeah and you're a nerd who nitpicks those things in star wars movies nobody else usually gives a ? about because you have too much time on your hands.

Oh i get it. A Star Wars movie thread isn't the place to discuss glaring plot holes and continuity issues that caused the overall movie to fail....

dsyd98c1vhue.gif
  • Splackavelli
    Options

Oh i get it. A Star Wars movie thread isn't the place to discuss glaring plot holes and continuity issues that caused the overall movie to fail....

dsyd98c1vhue.gif

A lot of these movies had plot holes like the when the general kept her evacuation plan on the low but I remember her saying she did not for a reason and Poe's mutiny and his gambit with Finn ruined it. The thing is you keep bellyaching and we ain't listening. You're one of those people that likes the sound of their own voice. I bet you give yourself a pat on the back or. look yourself in the mirror and make a gunshot motion then blow out your finger every time you post
  • LordZuko
    Options
    And you can't read.

ad hominem attacks? Logical fallacies when one really has no reason.

Go away kid.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options
    alright calmdown, stop with the petty insults and discuss the movie or im banning yall from this thread....
  • Splackavelli
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    alright calmdown, stop with the petty insults and discuss the movie or im banning yall from this thread....

Man I'm just having fun. Ain't no point in banning anymore since the site is gonna be dead soon.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options
  • Splackavelli
    Options
    I don't understand why some people hate that Leia scene. It's like they wanted her to die and early in the film at that. She's a 60 something year old woman who's been with the force for 40 or so years of her life . was it so impossible to use the force to draW herself to the ship? In her mind she was prolly like "reach out ,feel the life force in the ship, pull yourself towards it. Can people just suspend disbelief for a brief moment? Everyone is so ? now a days to where they complain about impossible feats in a science FICTION movie. Obviously Luke trained her I wouldn't be surprised if she uses a light sabre in the next movie.