Official Star Wars Cinematic Universe Thread: Now Showing : Ep VIII - The Last Jedi (15 Dec)

Options

Comments

• Agrv2385
    Agrv2385 Members Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In an interview with LA Times, Johnson was asked why the decision was made to NOT reveal that Rey was from a lineage of “‘special’ Jedi Kin.” He responded:

“It felt like the way to go because it’s the hardest thing that she could possibly hear. It would be the easy thing for her to be defined by, “Yes, this is how you fit into this story — it’s because your parent is so and so!” In that moment, for Kylo to be able to use that [information] as a knife and twist it to try and get what he wants, felt like the most dramatically potent option.”

he's not lying about her lineage get over it. If they change it later itll be because abrams fixed this mess this fool made with his ? decisions to do ? for the sake of shock value.
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't understand why some people hate that Leia scene. It's like they wanted her to die and early in the film at that. She's a 60 something year old woman who's been with the force for 40 or so years of her life . was it so impossible to use the force to draW herself to the ship? In her mind she was prolly like "reach out ,feel the life force in the ship, pull yourself towards it. Can people just suspend disbelief for a brief moment? Everyone is so ? now a days to where they complain about impossible feats in a science FICTION movie. Obviously Luke trained her I wouldn't be surprised if she uses a light sabre in the next movie.

Obvious when? When did Luke train her and when did Luke display such an ability?

It's not about suspending belief. That's already done upon agreeing to see the movie.

The movie is set in a universe with established rules and the film ignores those established rules for idiotic reasons. Which breaks suspension of belief
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They pretty much wasted Snoke and Luke.... It was no point and 2 many questions unanswered
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    I think kylo lied about her parents

I don't think he lied because in that hole 2 faceless black figures joined and made her.

And they are highlighting that any random person can have the force.

Rose,Finn,Rey,Annakin and Luke were all orphans or slaves and they all have the force or at least the force with them or whatever.

No matter who Rey's parents were they knew they couldn't compete with "I am your father" so they did what nobody expected.Made her just your average Joe.

As far as Rey needing training,Rey has been looking up to and practicing rebel training and fighting off ppl all her life.Plus she has the force anyway so like annakin she already shows talents beyond her age.Luke had little training until The last movie.

Sidenote I liked the pod race in Phantom Menace.Not a fan of that movie though.What a waste of Darth Maul but we always got Insidious

Luke dissapearing makes me wonder if obi was doing something different than I thought when he disappeared in the original trilogy.

• loch121
    Options
    LordZuko wrote: »
    The meta theme of star wars is that the classic heroics of male heroes are actually symptoms of toxic masculinity and that if the men just went along with the women everything would be fine.

Adventure and action movies are a predominantly male interest. However the leadership roles are assigned to female characters. The male protagonists are taken from this heroic height to being superfluous, impetuous cowards as reflected in Finn, Poe and Luke.

Even the male antagonists are portrayed as bratty children and not some galaxy level evil threat.

Females with no prior feats are just awarded power Rey and Leia specifically.

This movie and the direction of this franchise is the subversion of masculinity.

Leia is a rider.She got busy in the original movies.She bust her gun too.

Rey done put in work too.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »

I don't think he lied because in that hole 2 faceless black figures joined and made her.

Rose,Finn,Rey,Annakin and Luke were all orphans or slaves and they all have the force or at least the force with them or whatever.

No matter who Rey's parents were they knew they couldn't compete with "I am your father" so they did what nobody expected.Made her just your average Joe.

As far as Rey needing training,Rey has been looking up to and practicing rebel training and fighting off ppl all her life.Plus she has the force anyway so like annakin she already shows talents beyond her age.Luke had little training until The last movie.

Sidenote I liked the pod race in Phantom Menace.Not a fan of that movie though.What a waste of Darth Maul but we always got Insidious

Luke dissapearing makes me wonder if obi was doing something different than I thought when he disappeared in the original trilogy.

Actually Luke has had training in the new extended universe between episodes 4,5and 6. Also he spent a year on degobah with Yoda but that was of screen between episodes 5 and 6
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    When Laia became Superman and flew in space I was like....

dxsl6ca0gmgm.gif

1. there's no gravity in space. why do you think they keep astronauts tethered to the space station in real life? they'll aimlessly float forever without it

2. the force can be used to pull objects to the force user, so why would it be farfetched that it could be used to pull the force user to a sturdy object like a door?
  • LordZuko
    Options

Rey was fighting the local ? squad from a ? heel desert planet no one gave two ? about.

That's like saying if you spend all your life fighting wack ? on the street you'd have a chance of winning if you step in the ring with say a prime Mike Tyson.

The Praetorian guards are elite trained soldiers. Trained for years specifically to fight Jedi which is why they have the weapons they do. No ? way Rey wins.

If you took a two day boxing seminar would you be prepared to fight andre ward?
  • LordZuko
    Options
    Rey is force sensitive which means she can unconsciously use the force.

That's worlds different from training to use the force to obtain a specific end.

Anakin trained for years

Luke received training by yoda then he had five years honed his skills between empire strikes back and rotj where he is a confident Jedi able to take on jabba and Vader.

This movie ? on everything that came before while putting up a subpar product.

Then Yoda burning the Jedi library and saying let all that go was a ? you to the fans of the star wars expanded universe who knew how comprehensible and well put together the lore was that was expounded upon in 30 years of literature.

Pretentious arrogant clowns.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's worlds different from training to use the force to obtain a specific end.

Anakin trained for years

Luke received training by yoda then he had five years honed his skills between empire strikes back and rotj where he is a confident Jedi able to take on jabba and Vader.

Then Yoda burning the Jedi library and saying let all that go was a ? you to the fans of the star wars expanded universe who knew how comprehensible and well put together the lore was that was expounded upon in 30 years of literature.

Well Rey has the texts so it was an empty building that burned
  • Splackavelli
    Options

Anakin trained for years

Yeah when yoda told Luke she alreadyhas everything she needs that was a joke because yoda already knew ray had taken the books
  • LordZuko
    Options
    It's not about holding on to the old guard of Luke leia and Han. The star wars mythology expands and extends beyond them so it's not about fans unable to deal with letting go. There are awesome characters and stories and sagas told before and after the original trilogy.

It's about the fact that the writer's and director's decisions to not only cut the remaining characters off from the past but to cut the fans and the story off from any meaningful story going forward.
  • LordZuko
    Options

Anakin trained for years

The only way this works is if Luke or yoda or hell obi wan appear as force ghosts to help guide or

Or the next movie takes place years after this last one where rey struggles with the material.

As the story progresses we see rey not only exhibit ability or potential but illustrate mastery. There is no character arc for her. There is no hero's journey.

Finn as a subplot character has more of an arc and development than Rey.

The movie just gives too much to Rey, unlike how the struggle and journey is established.

So any feat she performs feels unearned.

She's not even tempted by the dark side really. There's never a serious moment where you think Rey is gonna turn, like Luke in rotj as Vader threatens to go after Leia or how Anakin is seduced by the desire to protect his family.

Her connection to Han is thin which makes her outrage towards Kylo even more contrived.
  • LordZuko
    Options
    Here's what could've saved this trilogy and actually take it from ? on a stick to the ? ? .

Kylo actually convinces Rey to join him, they wipe out the remaining rebel fleet either ? poe or finn. Leia is killed off. Luke sensing the tragic loss of his twin sister regains his resolve to end this destructive conflict.

the next movie is poe/finn and Luke going to confront the two new Sith lords. Poe/finn confront Rey and Luke confronts Kylo. Kylo kills Luke in an epic duel. Poe/Finn have this heartfelt action dialogue about family and belonging. Just as Rey is about to strike the killing blow something triggers causing overwhelming internal conflict. Kylo on another part of the ship senses this as does Luke. Rey comes back to her senses. The duo briefly embrace then go race off to assist Luke.

Kylo rages having lost his companion turns full dark side he draws upon all his power and knowledge. Luke is fading under this new resolve. Rey races to the chamber just in time to see Luke get cut down. Kylo turns toward her his face a mask of rage his eyes yellowed with Sith energy. He fires force lightning at her she blocks it with the light saber and this last duel begins. This one has all the weight as it's one last Jedi one last Sith the fate of the galaxy hangs in the balance. Eventually, She kills Kylo, the skywalker saga comes to a close Rey trains to become a Jedi master with an understanding of both the light and the dark.

Roll ? credits audience applause and congratulations on the well deserved Emmy and Oscar nominations.

That's how you do a ? Star Wars movie.
  • Agrv2385
    Agrv2385 Members Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Johnson also spoke to Business Insider about the negative fan reaction The Last Jedi has received in some outspoken corners of the internet and Twittersphere.

“Having been a Star Wars fan my whole life, and having spent most of my life on the other side of the curb and in that fandom, it softens the blow a little bit,” said Johnson of the criticism. “I’m aware through my own experience that, first of all, the fans are so passionate, they care so deeply — sometimes they care very violently at me on Twitter. But it’s because they care about these things, and it hurts when you’re expecting something specific and you don’t get it from something that you love. It always hurts, so I don’t take it personally if a fan reacts negatively and lashes out on me on Twitter. That’s fine. It’s my job to be there for that. Every fan has a list of stuff they want a Star Wars movie to be and they don’t want a Star Wars movie to be. You’re going to find very few fans out there whose lists line up. And I also know the same way the original movies were personal for Lucas. Lucas never made a Star Wars movie by sitting down and thinking, ‘What do the fans want to see?’ And I knew if I wrote wondering what the fans would want, as tempting as that is, it wouldn’t work, because people would still be shouting at me, ‘F— you, you ruined Star Wars,’ and I would make a bad movie. And ultimately, that’s the one thing nobody wants. And let me just add that 80-90% of the reaction I’ve gotten from Twitter has been really lovely. There’s been a lot of joy and love from fans. When I talk about the negative stuff, that’s not the full picture of the fans at all.”

Read more at http://www.superherohype.com/news/409579-last-jedi-deleted-scenes-plus-rian-johnson-on-fan-criticism#
  • loch121
    Options

Actually Luke has had training in the new extended universe between episodes 4,5and 6. Also he spent a year on degobah with Yoda but that was of screen between episodes 5 and 6

I'm just talking about in the movies.In the movies yoda had him stand on his head or some ? ,lift some rocks then it was off to fight the universe's biggest villain.

By the time we get to ROTJ Luke has been training himself and is a full Jedi roughly a year or so later.

So rey is actually more capable than Luke with a sword because she was already a sword fighter.

And while Luke didn't finish her training,she did a lot of practicing and learned the force on that island.

Luke was a lot like Yoda was to him.Aloof.
  • loch121
    Options

Anakin trained for years

There was only 6 months to a year in between Empire and ROTJ

Han wasn't frozen for no 5 years and Leia wasn't a sex slave for 5 years

sidenote Jabba totally ? Leia
  • loch121
    Options

Rey was fighting the local ? squad from a ? heel desert planet no one gave two ? about.

That's like saying if you spend all your life fighting wack ? on the street you'd have a chance of winning if you step in the ring with say a prime Mike Tyson.

The Praetorian guards are elite trained soldiers. Trained for years specifically to fight Jedi which is why they have the weapons they do. No ? way Rey wins.

If you took a two day boxing seminar would you be prepared to fight andre ward?

Rey has the force
  • Splackavelli
    Options

I'm just talking about in the movies.In the movies yoda had him stand on his head or some ? ,lift some rocks then it was off to fight the universe's biggest villain.

By the time we get to ROTJ Luke has been training himself and is a full Jedi roughly a year or so later.

So rey is actually more capable than Luke with a sword because she was already a sword fighter.

And while Luke didn't finish her training,she did a lot of practicing and learned the force on that island.

No he didn't train himself before return of the Jedi he told Yoda he would come back during empire strikes back and he did. The time between empire and Roth was about 2 or 3 years apart. Luke was 19 in empire he was 22 yes old in Roth between that time he went back and forth to degobah to complete his training. As for the jabba plan it took some time for lando to earn Janna's trust and get a position in his crew etc it took some time for all the pieces to fall into place on that plan. You didn't think they immediately rushed to save han from janna right after the end of empire strikes back did you?
  • loch121
    Options

No he didn't train himself before return of the Jedi he told Yoda he would come back during empire strikes back and he did. The time between empire and Roth was about 2 or 3 years apart. Luke was 19 in empire he was 22 yes old in Roth between that time he went back and forth to degobah to complete his training. As for the jabba plan it took some time for lando to earn Janna's trust and get a position in his crew etc it took some time for all the pieces to fall into place on that plan. You didn't think they immediately rushed to save han from janna right after the end of empire strikes back did you?

After Luke left he didn't come back until ROTJ when Yoda was about to die,in the movies.

So whatever skill he picked up he did it by practicing and fighting in the rebellion

And no it may have been as little as 6 months to a yr in between Empire and ROTJ

I'm talking strictly in the movies.

• LordZuko
    Options

Anakin trained for years

You're right it wasn't 5 years it was a year. But it had been four years since new hope and since Luke began his training under obi wan and yoda. Which means he's been training for years before he faced Vader the first time and lost his hand and was more attuned to the force the second time.

Point being it took time for Luke, greatest Jedi ever Skywalker, three years, what it took Rey less than a week to do.

Bad writing due to "yay girl power" agenda
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There was no reason for Rey not to join kylo

Like seriously she didn’t join him because of reasons basically
  • loch121
    edited December 2017
    Options

Anakin trained for years

You're right it wasn't 5 years it was a year. But it had been four years since new hope and since Luke began his training under obi wan and yoda. Which means he's been training for years before he faced Vader the first time and lost his hand and was more attuned to the force the second time.

Point being it took time for Luke, greatest Jedi ever Skywalker, three years, what it took Rey less than a week to do.

Bad writing due to "yay girl power" agenda

Luke wasn't really training using the Force until Empire though.That's when Yoda appeared.

I think that Kylo and Rey are more powerful than even Darth and Luke ,because of the fact that they both showed high skill levels early and were strong enough to scare Luke just like Luke and his father scared Yoda and Obi and all the jedi before.

I'm taking the politics out of it.IDC if Rey is a woman,but I'm totally aware of the strong woman theme.

Just for the sake of change it doesn't bother me.

I can poke a hole in every complaint about this movie.I even asked myself some of those same things.

Even if rey practiced fighting w/ bums,she was still more battle tested than Luke in the originals.

And having the force strong in you makes you have other skills like being a great pilot or mechanic or sword fighter naturally.

The more I hear ppl complain the more I like this movie.I paid to see it and now I'm watching the bootleg and it's even better on the rewatch.

Some of the jokes do hit more because some of those jokes do come back around by the end.

And as far as Snoke we didn't know ? about the Emperor either at 1st.He didn't even appear until Empire as a hologram.We didn't really see him until ROTJ.

We actually know Snoke more than the Emperor .All we knew was the emperor was bad and took ? over before the film even began.Kinda the same w/ Snoke except Snoke hasn't taken over fully like The Empire.

I guess this is about Kylo and not Snoke.and also this is a trilogy so more questions will be answered.

Most of the ppl on here probably weren't even born when these movies came out or were babies.Those originals aren't perfect,but are great.we picking them apart now as grown ppl.

• (ob)Scene
    (ob)Scene Members Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man forget about the sabers. Luke's 1 in a million shott at the end of New Hope using the force was more out there for someone with minimal training than somebody who is already combat trained getting a boost with the force against some guards.

But you'll never see these people complain about those things.