How come people born after 1985 get a pass for knowing what Hip Hop is?????

Options
eyecandy1978
eyecandy1978 Members Posts: 16
edited March 2011 in The Reason
Late 80's babies don't know ? about hip-hop too. most y'all start listen to hip-hop around shiny suit era (1997-1987)that ? is not ol school yet. They are in same boat as the kids that was born in the 90's. They miss out on the golden age of hip hop. Lil Wayne, Gucci Mane Soulja boy is also their era.

Comments

• Calii Comfort
    Calii Comfort Members Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    lol right. whats up with these threads lately why does that qualify for knowing about hip hop
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Late 80's babies don't know ? about hip-hop too. most y'all start listen to hip-hop around shiny suit era (1997-1987)that ? is not ol school yet. They are in same boat as the kids that was born in the 90's. They miss out on the golden age of hip hop.

I was born in 88
    66.jpg
  • Maalik
    Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Hell nah....born in 88. I definitely have no connection with today's music. My head is forever trapped from 1994 to about 2002. Anything from "Ready to Die/Illmatic" to Dipset & Blueprint-era Jay-Z. I know & respect Hip Hop my ? . I hate what this ? became
  • CrownChakra
    CrownChakra Members Posts: 351
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Time%201989.jpg
  • Calii Comfort
    edited February 2011
    Options
    people are trapped in time and can't get out the box and explore other music
  • D.James1026
    D.James1026 Members Posts: 257
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Its music ? ....Relax....
  • eyecandy1978
    eyecandy1978 Members Posts: 16
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I have read plenty of times that if you are into Nicki Minaj,Lil Wayne, Drake, Gucci, Soulja boy etc... that you must be either young, a hoodrat or ? and the main people saying this dumb ? , fall within the age group of being a late 80's/90's baby. I'm like really??? These same people who weren't even born when KRS battled MC Shan, when "Lodi Dodi" was the hottest song on the radio, when all the little girls in the neighborhood were reciting Roxanne Shante's diss to UTFO, were alive to experience the collective euphoria of the entire Hip Hop community the first time "Eric B. For President" was played on the radio and witness Rakim completely bring lyricism to the forefront, to listen to Mr. Magic, Red Alert and Chuck Chillout exclusively play nothing but Hip Hop on Friday and Saturday nights, when only a major Hip Hop record could get airplay before 6:00 PM because it was still not a completey accepted form of music, running home from school to catch the 3:30 PM airing of Video Music Box on channel 31 and living in an era where Public Enemy was the HOTTEST group on the planet...genre be damned, have the NERVE to generalize an entire fanbase of one artist, yet they want to be respected as a Hip Hop fan who has knowledge of the history. Umm..no. People (not all) in that age group pop the MOST ? , because they are trying so hard to be "down", because they are insecure in the fact that they haven't LIVED it.

These same late 80s/90's babies will say dumb ? like, "Only teenagers like *insert whatever artist here*". I'm like, WTF?!?! The majority of Hip Hop fans back in it's earliest stages were teenagers. The most legendary artists dropped their first albums when they were teenagers. Rakim put out his first album at the age of 18 and a lot of the songs on his debut were written years prior. Nas was rhyming with MC Search when he was a teenager. The Juice Crew were teenagers during their reign. Special Ed was 15 when he dropped, "I Got It Made". Doug E. Fresh, Slick Rick, Dana Dane, LL etc. were teenagers when they came out. Have they ever seen a clip of a Run DMC concert when they were in their prime?!?! The majority of those concert goers were teenagers. Back in the day, MC Hammer was clowned for being old and he was 27 at the time. So, by the rationale of these idiots, it's ok for a teenager or an artist in their early 20's to make music, but if teenagers happen to gravitate to a certain artist, that artists' credibility is non existant?! WTF?! The youth has always been the primary fanbase of Hip Hop. The people most familiar with the history of Hip Hop today are in their 30's and 40's. So, how old would that make them when "Rappers Delight" came out? Not that they don't exist, but, I don't know any 60 or 70 year old Hip Hop heads. The only difference today from about the early to mid 80's is the talent scale. The mainstreem success of Bow Wow, Romeo, Souljah Boy etc. has made it uncool to have youngins as fans, so, you have a bunch of dumbfucks who were born in the late 80's and early 90's, running around like any artist who appeals to teenagers is automatically "wack" and that is 100% false. Hell, neither the Sugar Hill Gang, Kurtis Blow or Bizzy Bee had lyrical skills, but they are the elders of Hip Hop. I don't consider myself to be an elitist because I'm a 70's baby, but when I hear someone who wasn't even born during these times fix their lips to discredit an artist based on what their particular standards are, especially when they go against the foundation of what Hip Hop was in the beginning, I just shake my head. I don't care what your age is, respect my opinion and I will respect yours...stop the generalizations, it's stupid. Is a 60 year old who grew up on the Jackson 5, Earth Wind & Fire, The Temptations, Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes, Tina Turner, The Supremes, Chaka Kahn etc. to be considered young, ? , dumb and hoodratish because he/she happens to enjoy the music of Rihanna, Tierra Marie, Chris Brown and Trey Songz
  • Sovo_Nah
    Sovo_Nah Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    they remedial.
  • Calii Comfort
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Sovo_Nah wrote: »
    they remedial.

guys like these think they know everything and ? on other posters for liking people like wayne,drake, and niki.
  • D.James1026
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I have read plenty of times that if you are into Nicki Minaj,Lil Wayne, Drake, Gucci, Soulja boy etc... that you must be either young, a hoodrat or ? and the main people saying this dumb ? , fall within the age group of being a late 80's/90's baby. I'm like really??? These same people who weren't even born when KRS battled MC Shan, when "Lodi Dodi" was the hottest song on the radio, when all the little girls in the neighborhood were reciting Roxanne Shante's diss to UTFO, were alive to experience the collective euphoria of the entire Hip Hop community the first time "Eric B. For President" was played on the radio and witness Rakim completely bring lyricism to the forefront, to listen to Mr. Magic, Red Alert and Chuck Chillout exclusively play nothing but Hip Hop on Friday and Saturday nights, when only a major Hip Hop record could get airplay before 6:00 PM because it was still not a completey accepted form of music, running home from school to catch the 3:30 PM airing of Video Music Box on channel 31 and living in an era where Public Enemy was the HOTTEST group on the planet...genre be damned, have the NERVE to generalize an entire fanbase of one artist, yet they want to be respected as a Hip Hop fan who has knowledge of the history. Umm..no. People (not all) in that age group pop the MOST ? , because they are trying so hard to be "down", because they are insecure in the fact that they haven't LIVED it.

These same late 80s/90's babies will say dumb ? like, "Only teenagers like *insert whatever artist here*". I'm like, WTF?!?! The majority of Hip Hop fans back in it's earliest stages were teenagers. The most legendary artists dropped their first albums when they were teenagers. Rakim put out his first album at the age of 18 and a lot of the songs on his debut were written years prior. Nas was rhyming with MC Search when he was a teenager. The Juice Crew were teenagers during their reign. Special Ed was 15 when he dropped, "I Got It Made". Doug E. Fresh, Slick Rick, Dana Dane, LL etc. were teenagers when they came out. Have they ever seen a clip of a Run DMC concert when they were in their prime?!?! The majority of those concert goers were teenagers. Back in the day, MC Hammer was clowned for being old and he was 27 at the time. So, by the rationale of these idiots, it's ok for a teenager or an artist in their early 20's to make music, but if teenagers happen to gravitate to a certain artist, that artists' credibility is non existant?! WTF?! The youth has always been the primary fanbase of Hip Hop. The people most familiar with the history of Hip Hop today are in their 30's and 40's. So, how old would that make them when "Rappers Delight" came out? Not that they don't exist, but, I don't know any 60 or 70 year old Hip Hop heads. The only difference today from about the early to mid 80's is the talent scale. The mainstreem success of Bow Wow, Romeo, Souljah Boy etc. has made it uncool to have youngins as fans, so, you have a bunch of dumbfucks who were born in the late 80's and early 90's, running around like any artist who appeals to teenagers is automatically "wack" and that is 100% false. Hell, neither the Sugar Hill Gang, Kurtis Blow or Bizzy Bee had lyrical skills, but they are the elders of Hip Hop. I don't consider myself to be an elitist because I'm a 70's baby, but when I hear someone who wasn't even born during these times fix their lips to discredit an artist based on what their particular standards are, especially when they go against the foundation of what Hip Hop was in the beginning, I just shake my head. I don't care what your age is, respect my opinion and I will respect yours...stop the generalizations, it's stupid. Is a 60 year old who grew up on the Jackson 5, Earth Wind & Fire, The Temptations, Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes, Tina Turner, The Supremes, Chaka Kahn etc. to be considered young, ? , dumb and hoodratish because he/she happens to enjoy the music of Rihanna, Tierra Marie, Chris Brown and Trey Songz

Might be my young ignorance talking....But Im definitely not reading all that ? ....Good day, sir.
  • Chillin&Postin
    Chillin&Postin Members Posts: 3,057
    edited February 2011
    Options

excellent post

it reminds me of why i say you cant hate on these kids making swag/dance music

classic hip hop was swag/dance music

wearing clothes that those today would clown and/or call ?
  • bigrizz
    bigrizz Members Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    So could a painter say Leonadro Divincis work is overrated? Can the Muhammed Ali be called irrelevent? Thats what i see alot of younger kids say in regards to older hip hop.....NOT ALL. But some. And thats ? up. You cant take what someone else built and act like its all yours. I like alot of the younger MCs doing it, but it seems like its more for money, ? , and fame than it is for the music. But that existed in the 80s too. But rappers were trying to catch up to the dealers back then. Now hip hop is so TMZ its sad. Its a popularity contest. I like some of waynes ? . But alot of times, he aint talking about ? and just ? giggles??? Hip hop can be whatever it is you want it to be. But it will never change from what the originators made it to be. Telling the story of the inner city, and trying to have a good time too. But it always had a point. Not just babbling over a beat.

My point is if we respect the youngins, they will respect the heritage, and in turn, have more to bring to the table. But we cant expect them to keep things exactly the way they are. But the youngins gotta realize whatever you doing now, you aint the first one to do it, so respect what you are giving to the masses as your own interpretation hip hop.
  • FieldTripsToTheHood
    FieldTripsToTheHood Members Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    lebowskiopinion.jpg
  • Sovo_Nah
    edited February 2011
    Options
    guys like these think they know everything and ? on other posters for liking people like wayne,drake, and niki.

guys like you are showing off for other guys. you assume that i dont like wanye, drake or nikki.

wanye is wayne. Drake had a nice album and nikki was cool on the mixtape tip (who you know make a million dollarz off a mixtape?)

in the words of some old school Ice Cube, circa 1990 "get off my ? ? , and tell yo ? to come here!"
  • D.James1026
    edited February 2011
    Options
    lebowskiopinion.jpg

You haven't heard? No such thing as opinions in this rap ? .....Just stone cold "facts" on why some artists are better than others.....
  • Calii Comfort
    edited February 2011
    Options
    guys like you are showing off for other guys. you assume that i dont like wanye, drake or nikki.

wanye is wayne. Drake had a nice album and nikki was cool on the mixtape tip (who you know make a million dollarz off a mixtape?)

in the words of some old school Ice Cube, circa 1990 "get off my ? ? , and tell yo ? to come here!"

i'm not showing off for anyone its just these guys who kick all this knowledge ? fail to grasp the concept of times change

for example all the guys saying new guys killed hip hop ? is mad annoying
  • Chillin&Postin
    edited February 2011
    Options

how in the hell did nikki make a million off a mixtape???
  • Sovo_Nah
    edited February 2011
    Options
    how in the hell did nikki make a million off a mixtape???

HEY ? , hey idiot, hey you stupid ? who didnt get it. you are trying to diss me to show off for these other guys who read this.

let me clue you in because you letting everyone know that you dont listen to music on the street/mixtape level. you ? ? lol

it was a Nikki Minaj line. she said it. I said it to prove that ive listened to her. And guess what you fool, she said it on a major album. wanna know who you ? ? ?

I'll give your ? ass a clue: it was on Drake's album and the song is called "up all night."

You hoes love to disagree just for the sake of it and its sickening. real talk. you ? dont know your ? from a hole in the wall and got the nerve to try and debate me everytime i make a post.

now close your account because i just p'owned you. Be-yitch!
  • D.James1026
    edited February 2011
    Options
    HEY ? , hey idiot, hey you stupid ? who didnt get it. you are trying to diss me to show off for these other guys who read this.

let me clue you in because you letting everyone know that you dont listen to music on the street/mixtape level. you ? ? lol

it was a Nikki Minaj line. she said it. I said it to prove that ive listened to her. And guess what you fool, she said it on a major album. wanna know who you ? ? ?

I'll give your ? ass a clue: it was on Drake's album and the song is called "up all night."

You hoes love to disagree just for the sake of it and its sickening. real talk. you ? dont know your ? from a hole in the wall and got the nerve to try and debate me everytime i make a post.

This muhfucka is FURIOUS.
  • Sovo_Nah
    edited February 2011
    Options
    This muhfucka is FURIOUS.

hell yeah!!! if everytime you make a post, and someone comes to dispute it, you'll be mad too. mad cuz people cant dig your deepness and trying to make a name off you for rebutting. like joe budden.

i aint even as hiphop as i was back in 02-03. just like i aint been a real fan of the NBA since 02-03. people grow. ive grown, but i aint lost in the loop. i knows what be's goinz zone.

sucks that i have to debate with little kids on the ic. i aint found that grown-man hiphop messageboard yet. if there even is a such thing because the kids will always follow the adults. its the way of the world.
  • jonlakadeadmic
    jonlakadeadmic Members Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    illmatic and reasonable doubt.
  • Chillin&Postin
    edited February 2011
    Options

you-mad-o.gif

WHY YOU MAD

i jus asked a question.
    i really dont agree with alot of whats posted on this board so i couldnt be the one to say anything jus to agree with someone,
    i jus asked a question.
    i really dont listen to enough of the woman's musci to know that she said that.

last i remeber nikki minaj was a NY rapper who made a remake to Warning
  • Chillin&Postin
    edited February 2011
    Options
    so yeah,
    my condolences to sovo for letting the Reason get the best of him.
    im not even a troll and i got the best of him asking a legit question
    and i ask again

how da ? did she make a million off a mixtape???
    or maybe she was jus sayin that ? like i have heard drake twice now say he was marrying her
  • Sovo_Nah
    edited February 2011
    Options
    so yeah,
    my condolences to sovo for letting the Reason get the best of him.
    im not even a troll and i got the best of him asking a legit question
    and i ask again

how da ? did she make a million off a mixtape???
    or maybe she was jus sayin that ? like i have heard drake twice now say he was marrying her

u are a troll, and so is ya momma. you cant "out-witt" your way outta this ? . u came off dumb. and u still dont know. u fancy huh? lol. u still being cool for the ic dudes?

the reason didnt get the best of me. i responded to you, ? . I said where that line comes from and you still is not grasping the concept. it aint me, its you. YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

how she make a million off a mixtape? well, let me break this down to a level where you may be able to understand. she-said-it-on-a-drake-song-and-before-a-? -tried-to-say-that-i-dont-listen-to-them-so-i-quoted-a-line-from-young-money-artists-to-show-that-i-listen-to-them.

its ok to be ? , but leave the G's alone. really tho. why? damn ? , do i need to post the song? ok, i will cuz u remedial too.

? !!!!!

@1:13 you idiot.
  • uncle_ignant
    uncle_ignant Members Posts: 240
    edited February 2011
    Options
    u are a troll, and so is ya momma. you cant "out-witt" your way outta this ? . u came off dumb. and u still dont know. u fancy huh? lol. u still being cool for the ic dudes?

the reason didnt get the best of me. i responded to you, ? . I said where that line comes from and you still is not grasping the concept. it aint me, its you. YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

how she make a million off a mixtape? well, let me break this down to a level where you may be able to understand. she-said-it-on-a-drake-song-and-before-a-? -tried-to-say-that-i-dont-listen-to-them-so-i-quoted-a-line-from-young-money-artists-to-show-that-i-listen-to-them.

its ok to be ? , but leave the G's alone. really tho. why? damn ? , do i need to post the song? ok, i will cuz u remedial too.

? !!!!!

@1:13 you idiot.

hey ? boy take a ? up your ass and call it a day.