Will Smith to star in "The Last Pharoah"

Options
Maalik
Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Thank ? ...bout time they did a film about Egypt using Black actors.

Sun Media talked to screenwriter Chris Hauty (Never Back Down), who is polishing a script by Carl Franklin (Devil in a Blue Dress) called The Last Pharaoh, which is at Will Smith's Overbrook Entertaiment production company.

The film centers on Taharqa, who was king of Egypt (from 690 BC to 664 BC) and a member of the Nubian or 25th dynasty of Egypt. He was the son of Piye, the Nubian king of Napata who had first conquered Egypt, and the younger brother and successor of Shebitku. The story is about Ethiopians battling Assyrians for the throne of Amun-Ra.

"It's an open writing assignment from Will's company. It's something he's taken a big interest in," Hauty said.

The actual "last Pharaoh" was Cleopatra VII, of course.

Read more: Will Smith, The Last Pharaoh? - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=43259#ixzz1EcgbpAzU

Comments

• dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ...definitely checking for this
  • Maalik
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Another article on it...i think it comes out in 2013

http://blog.moviefone.com/2008/09/08/will-smith-is-the-last-pharaoh/

Will Smith really wants a ? at the ancient history epic, and this time it looks like he's going to get it. According to Variety, Smith has hired the go-to guy for historical epics, Randall Wallace, to pen The Last Pharaoh for him to star in.

It won't actually be about the last pharaoh of Egypt (Cleopatra still holds that distinction),
    but Taharqa, a member of the Nubian dynasty of Egypt, who ruled from 690 to 664 B.C.E. Mentioned by Greek historian Strabo as one of the greatest military tacticians in the world, he's believed to be Tirhakah, king of Ethopia, who's mentioned in the Old Testament as driving Assyrian king Sennacherib away from destroying Jerusalem. Taharqa wasn't just a fighter, though -- he was devoted to peaceful works like restoring temples, and building sanctuaries all over Nubia and Egypt. Nevertheless, his biggest claim to fame is fighting the Assyrians, who invaded Egypt in 677. He didn't exactly defeat them -- they took Memphis and established the 26th dynasty, and Taharqa was driven back to Nubia, where he died in 664.

It definitely has the potential of an action packed story, but I'm curious as to how it's going to be fleshed out. With Wallace (nearly) at the helm, I am willing to bet Taharqa will become a mix of King Leonidas and William Wallace. The saving of Jerusalem is, I think, the high point of the story and has the most historical relevance ... but it's not as romantic as defending one's homeland, and that's reportedly what the film will focus on. And Wallace's scripts tend to be heavy on the romance, iffy on the accuracy. Still, it will be very interesting to see Smith in a sword-and-sandals epic, and I'll watch ancients hack each other onscreen anytime. What about you?
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Maalik wrote: »
    Another article on it...i think it comes out in 2013

http://blog.moviefone.com/2008/09/08/will-smith-is-the-last-pharaoh/

Will Smith really wants a ? at the ancient history epic, and this time it looks like he's going to get it. According to Variety, Smith has hired the go-to guy for historical epics, Randall Wallace, to pen The Last Pharaoh for him to star in.

It won't actually be about the last pharaoh of Egypt (Cleopatra still holds that distinction),
    but Taharqa, a member of the Nubian dynasty of Egypt, who ruled from 690 to 664 B.C.E. Mentioned by Greek historian Strabo as one of the greatest military tacticians in the world, he's believed to be Tirhakah, king of Ethopia, who's mentioned in the Old Testament as driving Assyrian king Sennacherib away from destroying Jerusalem. Taharqa wasn't just a fighter, though -- he was devoted to peaceful works like restoring temples, and building sanctuaries all over Nubia and Egypt. Nevertheless, his biggest claim to fame is fighting the Assyrians, who invaded Egypt in 677. He didn't exactly defeat them -- they took Memphis and established the 26th dynasty, and Taharqa was driven back to Nubia, where he died in 664.

It definitely has the potential of an action packed story, but I'm curious as to how it's going to be fleshed out. With Wallace (nearly) at the helm, I am willing to bet Taharqa will become a mix of King Leonidas and William Wallace. The saving of Jerusalem is, I think, the high point of the story and has the most historical relevance ... but it's not as romantic as defending one's homeland, and that's reportedly what the film will focus on. And Wallace's scripts tend to be heavy on the romance, iffy on the accuracy. Still, it will be very interesting to see Smith in a sword-and-sandals epic, and I'll watch ancients hack each other onscreen anytime. What about you?

Seems interesting, would check for it......
  • sdca
    sdca Members Posts: 290 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    will smith need to play a bad guy

then i will take him seriously

lol, yeah..

but does 'Six Degrees of Separation' count?
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    this particular pharaoh was nubian, so of course a black guy should be cast

the egyptians themselves were not black, tho
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    NAWLEDGE_REIGNS Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    America's Favorite ? ...Will Smith
  • Neslom
    Neslom Members Posts: 431
    edited February 2011
    Options
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Dammit! I was writing a script on Piye!! It's Will Smith though, so it should be good but damn. SMH
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options

Me too. With conviction as well.
  • DarkGable
    DarkGable Members Posts: 477
    edited February 2011
    Options
    He been talking about this script for a few years. I hope it's truly EPIC. Shot on location, with a real budget.
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited February 2011
    Options

translation:
    hey guys!! anybody wanna argue?? please man im desparate for attention!!. is there anyone here thats wants to argue?? anybody?? i mean, even if you dont wanna argue about this lets go somewhere else and argue!! i love the attention
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    u mad?

sounds like u mad.
  • thenatureboy
    thenatureboy Members Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Good to hear something like this is getting made with a high profile actor.
  • Maalik
    edited February 2011
    Options
    translation:

why'd you bite LOL...I pretended I didn't see his post for a reason

Anywho...this movie just might be epic

SMH @ this being the last movie on Egypt
    prince-of-egypt.jpg
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    edited February 2011
    Options
    should be good
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options

No he doesn't. He the biggest draw in Hollywood according to the box office lot's of actors get away with doing the same ? .
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I'm shocked a Black Man is staring it in since Hollywood has this obsession of making Egypt anything but Black oriented, lol. Will is due for a EPIC and a Bad Guy role to round out his resume so with the right director this should be pretty dope. Enough saving the world from Aliens Willl even though I will be watching "Men In Black III" next summer, lol.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options

family-guy.jpg

you almost got me
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    can we get a movie about hannibal???
    :mad:
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Bout damn time...
  • Maalik
    Options
    Maalik wrote:
    Thank ? ...bout time they did a film about Egypt using Black actors.

Sun Media talked to screenwriter Chris Hauty (Never Back Down), who is polishing a script by Carl Franklin (Devil in a Blue Dress) called The Last Pharaoh, which is at Will Smith's Overbrook Entertaiment production company.

The film centers on Taharqa, who was king of Egypt (from 690 BC to 664 BC) and a member of the Nubian or 25th dynasty of Egypt. He was the son of Piye, the Nubian king of Napata who had first conquered Egypt, and the younger brother and successor of Shebitku. The story is about Ethiopians battling Assyrians for the throne of Amun-Ra.

"It's an open writing assignment from Will's company. It's something he's taken a big interest in," Hauty said.

The actual "last Pharaoh" was Cleopatra VII, of course.

Read more: Will Smith, The Last Pharaoh? - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=43259#ixzz1EcgbpAzU

I actually had to do a paper on Taharqa & Shabaka.

Gave me a different perspective.
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not holding too much hope for a move written by the same guy that wrote never back down
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    will been trying to get this for a few years now....its needed
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited March 2012
    Options
    will check (no pun)
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fact: many pharoah's mentioned in hte bible were black, yet were not pointed out as different than other pharoahs.

Another fact: mary joseph and jesus "hid" in Egypt, giving a hint of what they looked like.