?
    just
    gott
    real
  • arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I love UFC, but this is some ole ? . UFC was already cuttin ? left and right. Now that trend is just gonna increase. With their ? up way of picking fighters in the title picture, and fighters outside their picture, Dana White's infatuation with brawlers as opposed to actual fighters is just gonna continue to create technically deficient matchups.

Looks like Bellator is our only hope for some sort of balance in the MMA world.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ehhhh...........
  • Ducky
    Ducky Banned Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I love UFC, but this is some ole ? . UFC was already cuttin ? left and right. Now that trend is just gonna increase. With their ? up way of picking fighters in the title picture, and fighters outside their picture, Dana White's infatuation with brawlers as opposed to actual fighters is just gonna continue to create technically deficient matchups.

Looks like Bellator is our only hope for some sort of balance in the MMA world.

Bellator is full of the people they cut...so go watch ur meidicore fights of dudes who couldnt cut it against the worlds best

Seriously yeah they cut people...u would to, u wanna pay for losers? they dont just cut u for no reason unless ur on a losing streak or u do something deserving to get cut....
  • bluprint
    bluprint Members Posts: 465
    edited March 2011
    Options
    UFC didn't buy them Zuffa did they also own UFC
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    oh great....more Dana White cutting every fighter and oversaturated the market with pay previews

Anyone remember when he threaten to cut Silva if he didn't make his fights more exciting I.e... Brawl instead of using his technical fighting skills

but yet he praises GSP... When he lays on his opponent all fight long

Dana White will ruin mma

hes gonna ruin it but where was it with out him
  • P-Dogg77
    P-Dogg77 Members Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    This is no good whatsoever since there wont be any Strikeforce vs UFC fights so ? Dana White.
    Dana is a girls name .
  • aswadh
    aswadh Members Posts: 411
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Heard about this on sherdog yesterday. I don't think this is a good thing for mma. Looks like UFC/ Zuffa wants to monopolize the sport. We've all seen what happened with Pride after they bought them out. The two situations are not 100% comparable but still. I think Dana's gonna get the best fighters from Strikeforce to sign with the UFC after their contracts end and Strikeforce will be either a lower level competition for rejects or done in a few years...
  • bluprint
    edited March 2011
    Options
    aswadh wrote: »
    Heard about this on sherdog yesterday. I don't think this is a good thing for mma. Looks like UFC/ Zuffa wants to monopolize the sport. We've all seen what happened with Pride after they bought them out. The two situations are not 100% comparable but still. I think Dana's gonna get the best fighters from Strikeforce to sign with the UFC after their contracts end and Strikeforce will be either a lower level competition for rejects or done in a few years...
    NFL, NBA, NHL and PGA are all monoplys you get the best people in one place. I hope they can get better pay but it makes a better product
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    its great now it can be more like boxing and after the best fighters actually fight each other
  • bignorm73
    bignorm73 Banned Users Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    lol. This whole sport sux.

Didnt they buy Bodog fight a few years back?
  • arbitration
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Ducky wrote: »
    Bellator is full of the people they cut...so go watch ur meidicore fights of dudes who couldnt cut it against the worlds best

Seriously yeah they cut people...u would to, u wanna pay for losers? they dont just cut u for no reason unless ur on a losing streak or u do something deserving to get cut....

Bellator may not have the talent, but it's a straight up more fair system. No politics involved in who gets a title shot. Meanwhile, in UFC, if you fight with a ? nose, you're all of a sudden dubbed a warrior and get to fight as long as you want. Tell me how guys like Stephan Bonnar are still allowed to fight in the promotion while Brandon Vera gets cut. ? disgusting and you know it.
  • blank..
    blank.. Members Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Lol @ ? just purchasing ? .
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Strikeforce isn't being dissolved, yet atleast. They are still going to function under Scott Coker too.

Bellator is actually a pretty good promotion. May not have the best fighters, but they have good fights so I can still watch. And Bellator has the most politics of anyone. The people who run it are like a country club, and if you're not in with them, its not easy. Just what I've heard from fighters who have been involved with the org.
  • aswadh
    aswadh Members Posts: 411
    edited March 2011
    Options
    bluprint wrote: »
    NFL, NBA, NHL and PGA are all monoplys you get the best people in one place. I hope they can get better pay but it makes a better product
    Bad comparison. UFC fighters will even be more 'cautious' when they fighting because if they get cut, there's nowhere to go to. If a basketballplayer can't make it in the NBA his career ain't over. He could go to Turkey, Spain, Israel, even China etc.

Get ready for more fighters who'll fight not to lose, get ready for more wall 'n stalling and lay 'n praying. Get ready for more wrestlers f*cking the game up since these American rules favor them heavily. UFC is all about profit and not the development of the game. Notice how it's all about the marketability of fighters instead of their skillset. Some fighters got cut for no apparent reason while others got titleshots based on their marketability. MMA as we know it is in serious danger if UFC monopolizes the game but alot of people don't get it...
  • esco soprano
    esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    So not really a big UFC follower what's the significance without this move? Is it NBA buying ABA or NFL AFL merger type?
  • bluprint
    edited March 2011
    Options
    aswadh wrote: »
    Bad comparison. UFC fighters will even be more 'cautious' when they fighting because if they get cut, there's nowhere to go to. If a basketballplayer can't make it in the NBA his career ain't over. He could go to Turkey, Spain, Israel, even China etc.

Get ready for more fighters who'll fight not to lose, get ready for more wall 'n stalling and lay 'n praying. Get ready for more wrestlers f*cking the game up since these American rules favor them heavily. UFC is all about profit and not the development of the game. Notice how it's all about the marketability of fighters instead of their skillset. Some fighters got cut for no apparent reason while others got titleshots based on their marketability. MMA as we know it is in serious danger if UFC monopolizes the game but alot of people don't get it...

Don't they still have DREAM, Bellator, K-1 and some others. Duffe left and if enought fighters go somewhere it will build another brand.
  • P-Dogg77
    P-Dogg77 Members Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Lol @ Dana buying every single fighting organization so Fedor won't have a choice but fight under him or retire.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I think there is a good chance strikeforce is kept around as a farm club and so the UFC name doesn't oversaturate the marker.
  • arbitration
    edited March 2011
    Options
    So not really a big UFC follower what's the significance without this move? Is it NBA buying ABA or NFL AFL merger type?

Not yet. Basically, Dana White says he's going to keep Strikeforce as its own separate promotion, just like when WEC was owned by UFC but operated separately all these years. I think that the UFC is trying to wait until its roster settles in from teh WEC merger before it thinks about another merger with Strikeforce.

It's going to be interesting to see what guys like Dan Henderson (LHW champion), Paul Daley, and Fedor are going to do now. My guess is that Dan Henderson and Paul Daley will probably stick around, but since Fedor is with M-1 and there is so much bad blood between them and Dana, he may decide to jet.

From a purely competitive perspective, this is horrible I think. Even though UFC has the talent, I think we can all agree that there is a lot of politicking involved with who gets title shots and big name fights. I never heard of the politics with Bellator, but I think that havign a straight up tournament to decide title shots is better than having Dana White and his crony Joe Silva call the shots.