IN THE WORDS OF LYOR COHEN - PART 1 - "WE'RE NOT SELLING DOOR KNOBS" lol ;)

Options
antarticp
antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in The Reason

i research the hell out of the game ... and its funny to find that alot of times ... the guys who we here on the IC think are against what we stand for .... creativity ...... and artist freedom / integrity .... to hear it from them they actually do think like us ..... atleast thats what they portray ... im not gonna go into much details im just gonna let them speak on it .......... first wit Lyor Cohen ... the white jewish guy who sells black music ... currently CEO / Chairman of Recorded music for Warner Music Group ... who many sees as a culture ? ... oppurtunist ... communist dictactor to what gets THE GREEN LIGHT !! ................. but is he ???????????????????

Comments

• akomax
    akomax Members Posts: 483 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    u are joking we can't hear anything ...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    how do threads like this get slept on ....
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    How in the ? did this thread get slept on? This, I repeat THIS is a prime example shown of what goes on in the mentality of these Jewish executives. Smh @ Lyor talking that ? and ignoring the chick when she brought up the fact that Lupe turned in the album (the REAL Lasers album 2 years ago and making that "we're not making door handles" comment. ? that. That's exactly what that Lasers album was..a ? ? door handle.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    wow.............
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    turn that ? down cracka
  • Disciplined InSight
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Smh @ this muthafucka using a boom box radio...couldn't he afford a bigger sound system?
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I don't see what he said wrong. If ? want creative control...remain Indy. You can't take a ? 's money and then say "nah, b. I'ma do it my way." Nah ? , it's my money, you're gonna do it MY way!

Y'all see Social Network? They didn't show the part where the Venture Capital Firm(the one owned by the Paypal guy) made Mark Zuckerburg fire Sean Parker.

It was Mark's company, it was his dream, he created it, he designed it, but he took other people's money, so he had to answer to them.

I get where Lupe's coming from, but he knew what he was getting into.
  • Disciplined InSight
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I don't see what he said wrong. If ? want creative control...remain Indy. You can't take a ? 's money and then say "nah, b. I'ma do it my way." Nah ? , it's my money, you're gonna do it MY way!

Y'all see Social Network? They didn't show the part where the Venture Capital Firm(the one owned by the Paypal guy) made Mark Zuckerburg fire Sean Parker.

It was Mark's company, it was his dream, he created it, he designed it, but he took other people's money, so he had to answer to them.

Well..yeah that's true too.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Smh @ this muthafucka using a boom box radio...couldn't he afford a bigger sound system?

he used the boom box to promote it in a "pure" hip hop fashion ....

I've always knew lyor got down like this .. its sad to see a dude who came up as road manager with rundmc (realhiphop) be strictly about that paper .... i expect it though ..
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    BoYBe$T wrote: »
    he used the boom box to promote it in a "pure" hip hop fashion ....

I've always knew lyor got down like this .. its sad to see a dude who came up as road manager with rundmc (realhiphop) be strictly about that paper .... i expect it though ..

That's his job, son. I'm sure the ? still loves hip-hop, but if he wanted to love hip-hop and preserve the culture, he would've been a curator at a hip-hop museum. He's the CEO of Warner Music Group. He isn't making door knobs. I don't know why people act like he's wrong and Lupe's right. If Lupe wanted to do his own ? , he should've stayed Indy. Don't go to a major and then ? b/c they make you do what they want you to do.
  • kingofharts
    kingofharts Members Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Good points about signing to a major though. It's a business.

Lol at door handles. He may not make door handles, but that joint sure could pass as a door ? ornament, or a mini Frisbee.

Sike, it's a couple good tracks on there.
  • antarticp
    Options
    Good points about signing to a major though. It's a business.

Lol at door handles. He may not make door handles, but that joint sure could pass as a door ? ornament, or a mini Frisbee.

Sike, it's a couple good tracks on there.

lol hey man dont take it easy on em give them your true opinion lol ;)
  • c.b.b.
    c.b.b. Members Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

All good points, but I don't see why Atlantic allowed Lupe to make socially conscious music for his first two albums and then forced him to go further left in the pop lane.

I know pop was more of a dominating force in the music industry between The Cool and Lasers, but the label didn't have to force Lupe to do more than 2-3 pop songs.

His first two albums sold well, I don't see why Lupe wasn't allowed to continue his formula and maybe only make 2-3 commercial tracks for the album

• antarticp
    Options
    c.b.b. wrote: »

All good points, but I don't see why Atlantic allowed Lupe to make socially conscious music for his first two albums and then forced him to go further left in the pop lane.

I know pop was more of a dominating force in the music industry between The Cool and Lasers, but the label didn't have to force Lupe to do more than 2-3 pop songs.

His first two albums sold well, I don't see why Lupe wasn't allowed to continue his formula and maybe only make 2-3 commercial tracks for the album

man i wish we could be in on them meetings to truelly find out why ... there are def alot of hidden agendas going on .....
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Lyor was a clown for doing that and anyone co-signing him is co-signing the leeching of the culture.

If you come up making music and giving it away for free, and you get the attention of the masses and companies, it was by virtue of your own creative and marketing efforts. No self-respecting musician signs to a label thinking "I'm willing to compromise my creation for cash". That's called cooning, and it's a lot of ? and ? co-signers out there.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lyor was a clown for doing that and anyone co-signing him is co-signing the leeching of the culture.

If you come up making music and giving it away for free, and you get the attention of the masses and companies, it was by virtue of your own creative and marketing efforts. No self-respecting musician signs to a label thinking "I'm willing to compromise my creation for cash". That's called cooning, and it's a lot of ? and ? co-signers out there.

Remember Lyor introduced Rick Ross at the MMG press conference.
    this is why I have a deep resentment towards William
    Lyor is also a key player in the Roc-A-Fella break up too
  • soul rattler
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »

I didn't watch the MMG conference. What happened in regards to Lyor?

And Rocafella didn't break up. There was a consolidation of power.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Then why the ? should I as an investor give you my money?? WTF? I run a business, I have employees that I have a responsibility to, I have a board of governors to be held accountable to. You damn right I am going to have a hand in the final product. Dont want to be in the music BUSINESS then dont take a BUSINESS'S money.
  • Disciplined InSight
    edited June 2012
    Options

Very major point..I keep telling people this but no one wants to believe it. He was the one in Jay's ears and convince him to branch out from Dame basically for a better term "expanding"..
  • soul rattler
    Options
    rage wrote: »

Then why the ? should I as an investor give you my money?? WTF? I run a business, I have employees that I have a responsibility to, I have a board of governors to be held accountable to. You damn right I am going to have a hand in the final product. Dont want to be in the music BUSINESS then dont take a BUSINESS'S money.

The same reason "you as an investor" looked at "me the artist" in the first place. The genuine potential. There are alot of talented people with record deals that have to go through the label politics concerning creative control.
  • Turfaholic
    Options

Very major point..I keep telling people this but no one wants to believe it. He was the one in Jay's ears and convince him to branch out from Dame basically for a better term "expanding"..

Yea, I forgot if it was a interview I read or watched, but Dame was very vocal about accusing Lyor of getting in Jay ear. Roc-A-Fella was probably becoming bigger than he wanted. Roc-A-Films was a legitimate hip hop movie production company. Roc-A-Wear was poppin. They had Kanye who was the hottest rapper/ producer at that time. Lyor also probably didnt like how flamboyant dame was as well. I seen footage of Dame getting loud in meetings when ? wasnt going his way. Smh RIP to the ROC
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Interesting statement. Because it seems like the business models of Record company's is that of a company selling door knobs. Mass produce as, quickly as is possible and sell cheap.

A record company, CEO or AR shouldn't have that much control over an artists project. Simply because, in the end there will be records that artist\company loves and records that the artist\company hates. So, it's a always going to be a comprise when the final product is released. So, for any one person to act as if they are more talented then the ARTISTS they sign is, backward. The artists may not always get it right either. But at least the artist get an opportunity to create, learn and grow. The chances of failure are the same. So long as the playing stays the same. i.e. resources, marketing. The company doesn't give the artist a leg up musically by saying work with this person, look like this, or sound like this.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dame burned bridges stop blaiming everything but Dame.That ? had a huge ego and ? on his employee's.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And from what I know Lyor Cohen got Wu tang there first deal.? need to go indy ? it I said it.
  • Turfaholic
    Options
    Dame burned bridges stop blaiming everything but Dame.That ? had a huge ego and ? on his employee's.

True, but look at where that got him. Dame was never a yes man to any record label.