1. Suicide Bounce
2. Street's Disciple
3. Unauthorized Biography of Rakim
4. Virgo (Ft. Ludacris & Doug E. Fresh)
5. Remember the Times (Intro)
6. Remember the Times
7. The Makings of a Perfect ?
8. Getting Married
9. No One Else In The Room (Ft. Maxwell)
10. Bridging the Gap (Ft. Olu Dara)
11. War
12. Me & You (Dedicated to Destiny)
13. Thief's Theme

Alright, this album is widely believed to be one of Nasir's worst efforts. If this is true then Nas might indisputably have the best catalogue in the game 10 albums deep. I've seen a lot of people ? on this album so here's your chance to explain in depth how this album isn't severely underrated.

I remember copping this ? when it came out.. I was in the 9th grade. Listened to this ? in my cd player every day on the bus. Anyway, this album was clearly the true turning point in his career where he became a man. His first album after turning 30, he delivered 2 discs and an hour and a half worth of dopeness. Very well-executed double album. We got everything from Nas on this one. The social commentary he had shown us glimpses of from the beginning of his career and a preview of what was to come on Untitled and Distant Relatives was put on full display in classic Nas fashion with the opening track "A Message To the Feds" and continued on joints like American Way, These Are Our Heros, Reason, etc..

"Rappers battlin' non-rappers, carryin' on backwards
Laughin' sayin' Nas thinks he's Farrakhan preachin' blackness
Hell yeah, awareness is my alias
Word to the 'Braveheart' written on my bare chest
The realest, HERE IT IS!"

To add to the social topics, Nas brought us back into his personal life as he had in the past like he did heavily on ? 's Son and The Lost Tapes. This time he gave us a melodic dedication to his daughter Destiny on "Me & You", "Bridging the Gap" which was a fushion rap/jazz/blues track with his father and jazz legend Olu Dara, as well as the sequence on the second disc dedicated to his new bride Kelis.
This ? is so soulful, dope, descriptive, but also humorous at the same time.

He also gave us the creative joints we have become accustomed to in the same lane as "Last Words", "Fried Chicken", "Fetus", the infamous "I Gave You Power", with the self-produced U.B.R. givin us the history of his idol... and of course the "Sekou's Story/Live Now" sequence, which I feel is better executed than "Who Killed It" but not on par with "Blaze a 50" and "Undying Love". I'ma be honest, I didn't find out the female was really Nas until a couple years later. Lol.. I was young but since he got me I would have to say the joint was definitely well executed and hot. Especially how the beat switches up and all that and it really feels like a movie.

Then you got the light hearted party records like the beat-boxed "Virgo" with Luda and Doug E. It could have been a hot single. Also "You Know My Style" (I could have done without that one). And of course we got the straight up street records where Nas lyrically spazzes and shows us he never lost it. "Nazerath Savage", "Disciple", "Suicide Bounce", "Street's Disciple" are some of the strongest lyrical displays of the decade that went under the radar.

"Moonstruck stuck, slow as molasses in my actions
That's compliments of a fast spliff in the night life
In my flight jacket, adrenaline heightened, mimickin Tyson
after watchin him cut up Razor Ruddock
In the gutter, which was once ghetto prophecy is now ghetto scripture
Lookin back at it, ? from pretty ? addicts
Older Gods wantin no static, told some lil' ? they can have it
Coke baggin and toe-taggin
They took Will, let me describe him, a live one
I think that he was the true +? 's Son+ - not Jesus, but fearless
His ear was up on them sounds too, he'd hear somethin
not to his likin, and say 'Son they bitin you"
He never got to see my debut, wild-mannered
But wild with them hammers, ? frontin couldn't stand it
Took him off the planet, left us in 9-2
With the philosophy of what arms do, a true street's disciple"

and of course the singles. This album had no radio friendly singles (Still sold over 200k first week) but I still remember females in my high school that loved the Quan assisted "Just A Moment" dedicated to our fallen comrades. And possibly one of the most gulliest and rawest singles of the 21st century that still gives me chills "Thief's Theme"

This album is definitely one of Nas more well-rounded efforts and still manages to be cohesive and effective due to good sequencing. If this album was cut down to it's 15-16 best tracks I bet we might even hear people calling it a classic.

So tell me how it's wack.

Comments

• RayLY
    RayLY Members Posts: 339
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I co-sign this, never understood why people call it wack.

And I agree that Nas has the best catalogue in hip-hop history and is showing no signs of falling off, only showing growth.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Oh yeah... to add.. as if I didn't rant enough already in my original posts... I hear people ? on Salaam Remi (who produced majority of this album) all the time but he can take credit for some of Nas' greatest songs ever recorded like "Made You Look" and my favorite song on this album and probably one of Nas' better songs in his discography, War:

Man those horns are so smooth. He produced Nazareth Savage as well. Yeah, he may not be the greatest and he does have missteps but he gives us gems as well.

Some of the questionable productions might be "American Way" where Nas hooks back up with Q-Tip over the Atomic Dog sample... I'm used to the original because I grew up on Parliament so it took some getting used to for me but now I love it. The only thing bad about the song is Kelis' ? awful singing. Outside of that song, You Know My Style, and Makings of the Perfect ? (reminds me of a more refined "Big Girl" and Dr. Knockboots).. I don't skip any tracks.

I didn't like "No One Else In The Room" with Maxwell at first either because I wasn't used to Nas on something so uptempo and it wasn't the Maxwell I'm used to either but it grew on me.. especially hearing it on my Beats By Dre, the beat has a lot going on but its a pretty cool record.. sounds good. Lol that's all my insight on this album for now.. sorry, I know I sound like a stan but I never saw this album discussed in depth before.
  • illogics
    illogics Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    It's wack because it has alot of wack songs on it. If it was condensed to one cd, it might have been a top album from Nas.
  • buttuh_b
    edited April 2011
    Options
    illogics wrote: »
    It's wack because it has alot of wack songs on it. If it was condensed to one cd, it might have been a top album from Nas.

Name the wack songs.....
  • birdcallaveli
    birdcallaveli Members Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    for the most part i liked it. thief's theme is one of my favorite nas songs.
  • illogics
    edited April 2011
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Name the wack songs.....

The joint wit Amerie, The joint wit Kelis, No one else in the room, these are our hero's, Disciple was ruined by the hook, you know my style, The rakim biography,
  • illogics
    edited April 2011
    Options
    A Message To the Feds (but dead the verses after the 1st)
    Suicide Bounce
    Just A Moment
    Reason
    Nazareth Savage
    Live Now
    Sekou Story
    Remember the Times
    Thiefs Theme
    Me & You

^ That to me would have been a hot album. Cut off all that fat.
  • buttuh_b
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The joint wit Amerie, The joint wit Kelis, No one else in the room, these are our hero's, Disciple was ruined by the hook, you know my style, The rakim biography,

Disagree with bolded. "Rest of My Life" is smooth... and I would ? Amerie raw. There's no way to front on "Disciple". I guess I can kinda feel where you're coming from with the Rakim but to me it was dope that he was giving an ode to the person who inspired him, especially for younger fans like me who might not have been up on Ra like that.. he put a brief biography on wax and that's why we get joints like what Jay Electronica did on The Styles War EP.. hadn't heard too many tracks like that in the past.

As far as "These Are Our Heros" it had to be because the beat was unorthodox because you couldn't have not felt the message??? I was kinda shook at first because he got at Kobe and I would take a bullet for Kobe back then (and still to this day).. I stan for Kobe harder than I do for Nas.. but he was on some Mos Def, Dead Prez type ? with that track. ? was dope to me how he was callin folks out and talkin bout Red Fox and ? . A lotta good name drops.

That's 7 songs you weren't feeling. I know you didn't think "Disciple" was wack. So subtract those 6 tracks plus the interlude/intro... That's still 17 dope tracks! Far from a wack album.
  • illogics
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Tracks like These are our heroes and the biography of Rakim are cool but the way they're formatted, it's like one listen tracks. Not something to put on a album for repeated listens.

In my opinion.
  • buttuh_b
    edited April 2011
    Options
    A Message To the Feds (but dead the verses after the 1st)
    Suicide Bounce
    Just A Moment
    Reason
    Nazareth Savage
    Live Now
    Sekou Story
    Remember the Times
    Thiefs Theme
    Me & You

^ That to me would have been a hot album. Cut off all that fat.

Add War, Disciple, Virgo as a single.. that's a classic album.

"If I present iron somebody dyin', don't even worry 'bout it
    Then dress warm for the cemetery climate
    When I speak I need cemetery silence, terror
    See me, gold Hummers, Lamborghinis, man who stole the summer
    Hand straight gleamin', if I don't know you toe-tag you
    Drag you through the cement, fo-fo maggie
    Body parts in my man's Maserati car, then party hard in Madagascar
    While rigor mortis'll grab ya, him ? , I'm pass that
    Gloves on, where the mask at? Too many love songs
    All the thugs gone, what happened? Where's the passion?"

-"Disciple"
  • illogics
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Then you got those forgettable ass tracks like Getting Married, Bridging the gap, yea he had his pops on it but that don't mean the ? rock, War...it was aight
  • illogics
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Add War, Disciple, Virgo as a single.. that's a classic album.

? , I'd rather add makings of a perfect ? over virgo and disciple. That track got a pac vibe all over it.
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Definitly a underated album.

disc 1 > 2 though.

If this was a single disc it wudda been a classic

1. Intro - 5/5
    2. A Message to the Feds, Sincerely, We The People - 5/5
    3. Nazareth Savage - 3/5
    4. American Way (Ft. Kelis) - 4/5
    5. These Are Our Heros - 5/5
    6. Disciple - 5/5
    7. Sekou Story - 5/5
    8. Live Now - 5/5
    9. Rest of My Life (Ft. Amerie) - 3/5
    10. Just a Moment (Ft. Quan) - 5/5
    11. Reason - 5/5
    12. You Know My Style - 2/5

Disc Two:

1. Suicide Bounce - 4/5
    2. Street's Disciple - 5/5
    3. Unauthorized Biography of Rakim - 5/5
    4. Virgo (Ft. Ludacris & Doug E. Fresh) - 4/5
    5. Remember the Times (Intro) - 2/5
    6. Remember the Times - 2/5
    7. The Makings of a Perfect ? - 2/5
    8. Getting Married - 2/5
    9. No One Else In The Room (Ft. Maxwell) - 5/5
    10. Bridging the Gap (Ft. Olu Dara) - 2/5
    11. War - 5/5
    12. Me & You (Dedicated to Destiny) - 1/5
    13. Thief's Theme - 5/5
  • buttuh_b
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I enjoy Bridging the Gap. The harmonica and how it switched it up... I love blues and jazz so Olu's voice was just fresh... just like the joint Nas did with Gil Scott-Heron...

"Tribrary of these rap skits, styles I mastered
    Many brothers snatched it up and tried to match it
    But I'm still number one, everyday real
    Speak what I want, I don't care what y'all feel
    'Cause I'm my oooooown master, my Pop told me be your own boss
    Keep integrity at every cost, and his home was Natchez Mississippi
    Did it like Miles and Dizzy, now we gettin' busy
    Bridging The Gap from the blues, to jazz, to rap
    The history of music on this track"

Nosign "Makings of a Perfect ? ". Had a bad Pac track like "Whatz Ya Phone Number" vibe to me... ? was just weird... like dude constructing his own perfect ? . I thought it cool like the women he was using and putting together tho.

"Gimme Sade's mystique, she gotta know her way in the streets
    Like Billie Holiday in Harlem
    Body from Ketoi Johnson and Kenya Moore and Apple Bottoms
    Maya Angelou's brain and some groove from Terry McMillan
    Them Angelina Jolie lips, Angela Davis, Sista Souljah's wit
    Helping me load clips
    Some words form a ? was, "Nas, it just don't exist"
    But homes is twisted, a home ain't a home without without the misses
    All the girls that I named are queens, no disrespect
    But I need me someone to disappear, reappear like I dream of Jeannie
    Whenever I want, I think I met her, it's on, forever I'll flaunt"

Maybe the beat was just too much for me...

I don't know how you don't like "Virgo". That was the jam.
  • illogics
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Virgo was aight, but on a grand scale alot of the tracks were serviceable but dull at the same time. Like, alot of the tracks wasn't really ? to get excited for but you couldn't completely call it trash at the same time.

It was serviceable and alot to me is forgettable. I hate when ? say Nas is dull but if they said that to me only having this album to reference....the ? could I really tell them?
  • buttuh_b
    edited April 2011
    Options
    He was hype on some tracks though.... "Nazareth Savage" and "Suicide Bounce" in particular.

Can you at least agree this is one of his more versatile albums??? Others I would say are maybe I Am.... and Stillmatic.
  • MICHAEL-V.I.
    MICHAEL-V.I. Members Posts: 1,898 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    nas_20Streets_20disciple.jpg

Released: November 30, 2004

Disc One:

1. Intro
    2. A Message to the Feds, Sincerely, We The People
    3. Nazareth Savage
    4. American Way (Ft. Kelis)
    5. These Are Our Heros
    6. Disciple
    7. Sekou Story
    8. Live Now
    9. Rest of My Life (Ft. Amerie)
    10. Just a Moment (Ft. Quan)
    11. Reason
    12. You Know My Style

Disc Two:

1. Suicide Bounce
    2. Street's Disciple
    3. Unauthorized Biography of Rakim
    4. Virgo (Ft. Ludacris & Doug E. Fresh)
    5. Remember the Times (Intro)
    6. Remember the Times
    7. The Makings of a Perfect ?
    8. Getting Married
    9. No One Else In The Room (Ft. Maxwell)
    10. Bridging the Gap (Ft. Olu Dara)
    11. War
    12. Me & You (Dedicated to Destiny)
    13. Thief's Theme

Alright, this album is widely believed to be one of Nasir's worst efforts. If this is true then Nas might indisputably have the best catalogue in the game 10 albums deep. I've seen a lot of people ? on this album so here's your chance to explain in depth how this album isn't severely underrated.

I remember copping this ? when it came out.. I was in the 9th grade. Listened to this ? in my cd player every day on the bus. Anyway, this album was clearly the true turning point in his career where he became a man. His first album after turning 30, he delivered 2 discs and an hour and a half worth of dopeness. Very well-executed double album. We got everything from Nas on this one. The social commentary he had shown us glimpses of from the beginning of his career and a preview of what was to come on Untitled and Distant Relatives was put on full display in classic Nas fashion with the opening track "A Message To the Feds" and continued on joints like American Way, These Are Our Heros, Reason, etc..

"Rappers battlin' non-rappers, carryin' on backwards
    Laughin' sayin' Nas thinks he's Farrakhan preachin' blackness
    Hell yeah, awareness is my alias
    Word to the 'Braveheart' written on my bare chest
    The realest, HERE IT IS!"

To add to the social topics, Nas brought us back into his personal life as he had in the past like he did heavily on ? 's Son and The Lost Tapes. This time he gave us a melodic dedication to his daughter Destiny on "Me & You", "Bridging the Gap" which was a fushion rap/jazz/blues track with his father and jazz legend Olu Dara, as well as the sequence on the second disc dedicated to his new bride Kelis.
    This ? is so soulful, dope, descriptive, but also humorous at the same time.

He also gave us the creative joints we have become accustomed to in the same lane as "Last Words", "Fried Chicken", "Fetus", the infamous "I Gave You Power", with the self-produced U.B.R. givin us the history of his idol... and of course the "Sekou's Story/Live Now" sequence, which I feel is better executed than "Who Killed It" but not on par with "Blaze a 50" and "Undying Love". I'ma be honest, I didn't find out the female was really Nas until a couple years later. Lol.. I was young but since he got me I would have to say the joint was definitely well executed and hot. Especially how the beat switches up and all that and it really feels like a movie.

Then you got the light hearted party records like the beat-boxed "Virgo" with Luda and Doug E. It could have been a hot single. Also "You Know My Style" (I could have done without that one). And of course we got the straight up street records where Nas lyrically spazzes and shows us he never lost it. "Nazerath Savage", "Disciple", "Suicide Bounce", "Street's Disciple" are some of the strongest lyrical displays of the decade that went under the radar.

"Moonstruck stuck, slow as molasses in my actions
    That's compliments of a fast spliff in the night life
    In my flight jacket, adrenaline heightened, mimickin Tyson
    after watchin him cut up Razor Ruddock
    In the gutter, which was once ghetto prophecy is now ghetto scripture
    Lookin back at it, ? from pretty ? addicts
    Older Gods wantin no static, told some lil' ? they can have it
    Coke baggin and toe-taggin
    They took Will, let me describe him, a live one
    I think that he was the true +? 's Son+ - not Jesus, but fearless
    His ear was up on them sounds too, he'd hear somethin
    not to his likin, and say 'Son they bitin you"
    He never got to see my debut, wild-mannered
    But wild with them hammers, ? frontin couldn't stand it
    Took him off the planet, left us in 9-2
    With the philosophy of what arms do, a true street's disciple"

and of course the singles. This album had no radio friendly singles (Still sold over 200k first week) but I still remember females in my high school that loved the Quan assisted "Just A Moment" dedicated to our fallen comrades. And possibly one of the most gulliest and rawest singles of the 21st century that still gives me chills "Thief's Theme"

This album is definitely one of Nas more well-rounded efforts and still manages to be cohesive and effective due to good sequencing. If this album was cut down to it's 15-16 best tracks I bet we might even hear people calling it a classic.

So tell me how it's wack.

It aint wack , only on All Hip Hop have I heard any of Nas albums being trash rap
  • lion_heart
    lion_heart Members Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Album was boring too me. I played it once all the way through on a long road trip to Springfield Mass and I've never played it again. I've only done that with 3 albums and two of those albums was on the same day (other being Diplomatic Immunity 2).

I ? with the singles Nazareth Savage, Thief Theme and Street's Disciple though.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Disc One:

1. Intro-- This is dope and a nice prelude to the next song
    2. A Message to the Feds, Sincerely, We The People This is a nice song. 4/5
    3. Nazareth Savage Straight up raw w/ Nas going on 4.5/5
    4. American Way (Ft. Kelis) Hot mess of a song. Dope lyrics though 3/5
    5. These Are Our Heros Dope concept, but poorly executed as it is pretty random 3.5/5
    6. Disciple Cool track, but repetitive. 3.5/5
    7. Sekou Story Dope story and the beat switch is dope 4/5
    8. Live Now Same as above except this one brought some emotion 4/5
    9. Rest of My Life (Ft. Amerie) Awkward beat and flow, but it's a cool song overall. 3.5/5
    10. Just a Moment (Ft. Quan) Nice song, but the video version w/ the extra Nas verse is better. It feels more like Quan's song than Nas's 4/5
    11. Reason Nice song here 4/5
    12. You Know My Style Dope club banger. 4/5

Disc Two:

1. Suicide Bounce Dope. Plain and simple. 4/5
    2. Street's Disciple Best song on the album and one of Nas's best songs period 5/5
    3. Unauthorized Biography of Rakim Cool song and concept 4/5
    4. Virgo (Ft. Ludacris & Doug E. Fresh) Always hated this song 2/5
    5. Remember the Times (Intro) This wasn't needed
    6. Remember the Times A little over the top and lacks replay 3/5
    7. The Makings of a Perfect ? I thought this was a cool song. 3.5/5
    8. Getting Married The best song out of the relationship tracks by far. 4.5/5
    9. No One Else In The Room (Ft. Maxwell) This gets unnecessary hate. It's good song. 4/5
    10. Bridging the Gap (Ft. Olu Dara) Nas's worst single to appear on his solo albums 2/5
    11. War Another highlight. 4.5/5
    12. Me & You (Dedicated to Destiny) Never liked this one either. 1/5
    13. Thief's Theme Vintage Nas. 5/5

Album comes pretty close to 4 overall. It hasn't aged well over the years though. Still a pretty good album.
  • MastaAceTheGOAT
    MastaAceTheGOAT Members Posts: 724
    edited April 2011
    Options
    accidently voted mediocre. dont shoot me :(
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I like this thread and observations made about this album. It's definitely not a bad work. 4/5 material for me. Like most double albums it suffers from uneven material and filler. On one side it's one of the most diverse and rounded records Nas made, on the other it's not cohesive and accidential mix of his songs. But 1st disc is excellent.
  • [Trillmatic]
    [Trillmatic] Members Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    too much filler...if he woulda took the best songs and made it into a single disc..it woulda probably been a classic. the joints on that album that are dope, are REALLY dope.
  • GrizTitan
    GrizTitan Members Posts: 2,075 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Sad I bought it when it first came out . Scanned through it and never listened again. Got to find it then I will have an answer.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The album did get some unjust hate. But I have to keep it real, even as a huge NaS fan, it's not more than 3.5 MICS. Jay suffered the same issues on his double album. Both of them may have been a little to late in their careers for a double. My issues with the album were more from a production standpoint. I love Saleem Remi and Chucky Tompson, but they both produced the whole LP. NaS should of used a little more variety in production. People get on NaS for his beat selection but this album is one reason I can see that. The record was a little all over the place. Disc 2 had the most weak songs on it.

But I agree with the T/S that even NaS's so called "Worst" efforts makes a lot of other rappers catalog look even worst considering the album was far from wack. But let's not kid ourselves, after coming off "STILLmatic", "The Lost Tapes" and "? 's SON" it was kinda a let down. Also the title of the album is a little misleading. He originally said "Street's Disciple" on "ILLmatic" which had many fans thinking he was going back to that style by making it a Hard Core NY Street album. But instead the album was extremely more laid back and yes was a foreshadow of the future albums and sounds NaS was going for. Again since I enjoy most all NaS's music, I still loved the album despite the hate it gets. But I'd be lying if I said it was anything over 3.5 MICS. As a NaS fan, I do give it 4 MICS though, but taking my NaS's glasses off, it's about 3.5.

My favorite Tracks from the album:

Intro
    Message to the Feds
    Nazareth's Savage
    Sekou's Story
    Live Now
    Just A Moment
    Reason
    Suicide Bounce
    Street's Disciple
    Remember The Times
    Bridging the Gap
    War
    Theif's Theme

So for the most part I did enjoy most of the album. But there was filler.

ILLmatic - 5 MICS
    STILLmatic - 5 MICS
    It Was Written - 4.5 MICS
    Untitled - 4.5 MICS
    I AM - 4 MICS
    ? 's Son - 4 MICS
    Street's Disciple - 3.5 MICS
    Hip Hop Is Dead - 3.5 MICS
    NaStradamus - 3 MICS

So Yes, I do consider it in the Bottom Half of NaS's career. But again it's funny, if you look at my list. NaS's 3 "Worst" LP's are better the some dudes in the game best. I think as years go on people will appreciate Nas's catalog more.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I never thought it was a terrible album. It's definitely not his best. ? Son>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I really do like this album. Message To The Feds is one of my most played Nas tracks.
    I thought Getting Married was a great track concept track.

The album lacked consistency. Sometimes it was hot then it slummed off. The first disc was better then the second to me. It's about 3.5/5. It's not the worst double album nor Nas album i have heard.