What Does An Artist's Background Have To Do With Their Music?

Options

Comments

• Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    so youre admiting youre a grown ass man who still listens to fairy tales?

Yes, this is entertainment not English class.
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    When i was pushing weight back in '88
    You was a ballerina, i got ya pictures, i seen ya
    ballerina_p_snicka_dot_com.jpg
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    TheFix wrote: »
    Rap Is The Ghetto's CNN - Chuck D. Now take that statement and ask yourself, do you take mediatakeout seriously as a media source? A lot of these ? are media takeout ass ? , but when you really want to know something. You go to a credible news source.

This is exactly how I see it...the key word is AUTHENTICITY...and there is none with today's rappers. Even if they hyperbole a little it should be authentic to the point they participated in whatever negative past they been in whenever they spitting..
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    hlf wrote: »
    Yes, this is entertainment not English class.

That's the problem...too many Hollywood rap ass ? .
  • esco soprano
    esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Kushington wrote: »
    Take Wayne or Rick Ross for example

They may have questionable pasts

But the music they put out is quality

How can anybody deny the fact that they are the two biggest rappers right now

It all goes back to the origins of hiphop.....back then it was super important and you had to be who you say you were. ? would pull your card in a heartbeat. Authenticity was the most important thing back then and into the 90's. It went away in the millenium for some reason. Now its all about the money....nothing else.
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    It all goes back to the origins of hiphop.....back then it was super important and you had to be who you say you were. ? would pull your card in a heartbeat. Authenticity was the most important thing back then and into the 90's. It went away in the millenium for some reason. Now its all about the money....nothing else.

thats the reason why everybody and they mama wasn't rappin in the 80's and 90's(like they do now), that ? was a lifestyle. you couldn't just come out and say anything like you can now, cause you had to be who you say you was.
  • Stew
    edited May 2011
    Options
    That's the problem...too many Hollywood rap ass ? .

But all of rap isnt like that. Nas's "Rewind" isnt real, its a fairy tale and dope as ? .
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    But all of rap isnt like that. Nas's "Rewind" isnt real, its a fairy tale and dope as ? .

i don't think he saying everything should be a biographic documentary type song, but if it aint comming from a credible source, what the ? is you listening to? why listen to a ? spew some ? he knows nothin about? why? cause he say it in a good way? thats wild.
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    Fazeem_Blackall Members Posts: 4,216 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    it's hard for me to listen to you with or without music if you're full of ? or kissing another grown ass man. I can't, it's something mentally in my brain that switches off and can't give a dam about a word you have to say. Whether you sitting in front of me talking or on a cd.
    LOL quote of the day and 10000000000000000000000000000000% agree...
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Rick Ross C.O. but doesn't pay the Real Freeway Rick Ross to use name and personal history

Calvin Klein had Jay Z as his coke mule
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Sovo_Nah wrote: »
    ? , not tryin to be a tough guy. just answer the question clair.

and yo hoe ass probably too young to understand that reference. lol

man up. u only typing. all im sayin is, holla at me. I should not be teaching you to man up. ya daddy should have done that. but if u ? wit me out here in public, imma ? with you back. 14,000 ass post ass ? .

whoa there, john wayne
    you over there angry as ?
    ? talkin bout "holla at me"
    we online
    you see what i say
    respond, don't catch feelings and say a ? throwing subliminals
    we in the same thread, talkin bout the same ?
    i swear you ic tough guys never cease to amaze me with this tough ?
  • Stew
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i don't think he saying everything should be a biographic documentary type song, but if it aint comming from a credible source, what the ? is you listening to? why listen to a ? spew some ? he knows nothin about? why? cause he say it in a good way? thats wild.

Its music/entertainment homie. Who cares If he dont know what he's talking bout, If it sounds good why should I care what or how he came about it? I aint trynna be that ? friend, I just wanna hear the music. Most of the greatest musicians of all time are weirdo's(Jay, Em, Pac, MJ, George Clinton), I dont give a ? what they do in their spare time just give me something to bob my head to. If you a fan and take these ? seriously then thats a you problem.
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I'm cut from a different cloth than a lot of dudes, I'm an actual man.

I don't need a role-model, father-figure, or hero when I listen to music. I want some slick poetry and a beat that knocks.

I don't care if Nas Escobar was really flipping kilos, or if Biggie Smalls had 100 bricks, I don't care if JayZ lost 92 bricks, I don't care if Rick Ross knew Noriaega, and I truly don't care if Styles P committed 450 unsolved murders.....because street-poetry dosent have to be a criminal confession for me to enjoy it.

Squares and geeks have to get their street-science from rappers which is why they are so fascinated with the Street-Cred of these rappers who manipulate their stupidity and corniness by selling them crafted images.
  • HipHopFiend91
    HipHopFiend91 Members Posts: 2,394
    edited May 2011
    Options
    its music nice beats and good lyrics are what i'm looking for. really don't care what they did to be quite honest.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I dont care about the person i care about the music the music makes the artist.

you guys should quote me on that.
  • thecomebacklegend
    thecomebacklegend Members Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    TS searching for a excuse 2 buy lil b album
  • gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Kushington wrote: »
    Take Wayne or Rick Ross for example

They may have questionable pasts

But the music they put out is quality

How can anybody deny the fact that they are the two biggest rappers right now

da real question is y r we even worried about 2 BLK MEN backgroundz n hiphop when da highest sellin artist n hiphop is a LYIN WHITE RACIST REDNECK? imean thatz HOUSENIGGA ? worryin about da BLK MAN who lied about sum ? & they get crucified fa doin BLK MUSIK while da white boy getz away scottfree fa LYIN about bein RACIST & is da HIGHEST SELLIN ARTIST N HIPHOP...HIPHOP LOST! smh
    If you dont listen to someone because of their background or some ? they did 20 years ago your a ? ......unless they come out the closet.

YA A WHITE MAN ANYWAY LIKE YA MAN CRUSH ? AZZ DRE THATZ Y U WILL LET A WHITE RACIST REDNECK CALL U A ? AS LONG AS DA REDNECK MAKEZ 'DOPE MUSIK'...SMH@ THAT STUPID WHITE BOY LOGIK!
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Nope, as long as the music is dope, the artist's personal lives should matter none...but then again this is hip-hop where the fans are dumb and they put too much value into trivial ? such as what an artist is wearing or who they smashing out
  • prada_g24
    prada_g24 Members Posts: 794 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I really don't care I never sold bricks so ? it. But these rappers are to blame IMO. They make it personal "I moved weight I was on the block all night I did this n thar" and they never turn that persona off. U always see them with 100 goons in the hood. They are never themselves. They lie so much they start to believe it
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    It now realize that acting and embellishing and fantasy is just a part of rap for most who do it. Truth is not a requirement, nor is actual life experience. You can witness it from you folks pad scribble I'm your notepad and create your "life."

A lot of these rap ? want so bad to escape the lameness or sadness of their miserable existence, so they'll fake it 'til they make it and ? love a good actor/ picture painter.
  • deadprezreppinme
    deadprezreppinme Members Posts: 195
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Because if you say you propellen hoes and there fathers you better be able to back it up. There is somethin about the south side that makes me wanna act bad.
  • MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    It now realize that acting and embellishing and fantasy is just a part of rap for most who do it. Truth is not a requirement, nor is actual life experience. You can witness it from you folks pad scribble I'm your notepad and create your "life."

A lot of these rap ? want so bad to escape the lameness or sadness of their miserable existence, so they'll fake it 'til they make it and ? love a good actor/ picture painter.
    LMAO @ the bolded!
    telling a story is one thing but as far as making "good music" the fabrication and falsifying ? bleeds through the music and lowers the quality anyway.

Jay-z's "meet the parents" was a fictional story (maybe a better term would be hypothetical) but it wasnt a claim of a false reality so while not a true story, it wasnt tough to swallow and the smell of ? didnt plague the song
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bruh, this is rap/hip hop
    a.k.a. the soundtrack to fatherless, role model-less, disenfranchised youths in the ghettos across America
    if you ain't sold no pies, had a job, had a nice upbringing, 2 parent home, or never got shot or shot at then ? gon hate you

unless you make dance songs
    Stew wrote: »
    If you dont listen to someone because of their background or some ? they did 20 years ago your a ? ......unless they come out the closet.
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    so youre admiting youre a grown ass man who still listens to fairy tales?

this is entertainment not English class.

Its music/entertainment homie. Who cares If he dont know what he's talking bout, If it sounds good why should I care what or how he came about it? I dont give a ? what they do in their spare time just give me something to bob my head to. If you a fan and take these ? seriously then thats a you problem.
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »

I don't need a role-model, father-figure, or hero when I listen to music. I want some slick poetry and a beat that knocks.

its music nice beats and good lyrics are what i'm looking for. really don't care what they did to be quite honest.
    I dont care about the person i care about the music the music makes the artist.

i feel all this long as its not completely outrageous like juicy j and dj paul rapping about doing magic tricks to kick crunchy black out or some ? like that. i couldnt just make up wild stories myself and i'd might feel different if i actually knew the rapper but i dont. aint too much out of the realm of possibility that drake can actually defend himself or tyga actually knows people in gangs anyway. like i said b4 lot of these idiots have no guidance and wanna be really be taught something or feel like cuz the rapper is doing it its the right thing to do. dumb ? need to find they parents or pick up a ? book and just enjoy and see if u can relate to this music.
  • Noble Al Lee
    Noble Al Lee Members Posts: 914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »

I don't care if Nas Escobar was really flipping kilos, or if Biggie Smalls had 100 bricks, I don't care if JayZ lost 92 bricks, I don't care if Rick Ross knew Noriaega, and I truly don't care if Styles P committed 450 unsolved murders.....because street-poetry dosent have to be a criminal confession for me to enjoy it.

Squares and geeks have to get their street-science from rappers which is why they are so fascinated with the Street-Cred of these rappers who manipulate their stupidity and corniness by selling them crafted images.

/thread.

Anyone talking about they dont listen to so & so because its not 100% real is a weirdo. Im an adult male with the common sense to discern fact from fiction. Get your mind right and grow up. Its music. Not a gauge to measure reality by.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    a.k.a. the soundtrack to fatherless, role model-less, disenfranchised youths in the ghettos across America
    if you ain't sold no pies, had a job, had a nice upbringing, 2 parent home, or never got shot or shot at then ? gon hate you

exactly how the game works

Unfortunately and ironically, most of the ? hating came from the same background you described that they despise the rapper for.