Options
    subliminal pac hate thread

lmao can't you tell, that envy breathing deep in here
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I'm gonna throw Nas in here too.

His first album was considered classic out the gate even if it didnt sell that much. Then he turned into Escobar and released IWW a mafioso album inspired by KGR, Raekwon, Biggie and yeah Jay-Z. He had his first commercial success thanks to the L. Hill assisted If I Ruled The World and tried to follow it up with The Firm album. Most of his original fans at this point stopped checking for him. He wasn't wearing a shiny suit like Puff and Ma$e, but he was borderline.

Then Nas spent his next 2 albums trying to achieve some balance and didn't really get Hip Hop fans checking for him until the beef with Jay, Lost Tapes, and Stillmatic. As much as fans today like IWW, Nas has been moving further and further away from it ever since and don't expect him to ever make another album that sounds like that.

let me add that it was written didn't get a ton of critical acclaim when it was released in the summer of 96. people thought it was wack, it took a few years for people to go back and realize that the album wasn't as bad as they originally thought, now people wanna say it's better than illmatic. in 96 that would be blasphemy.

i think it was written was the only album that nas acheived that balance of mainstream/pop with that pure underground style
  • ibedamned
    ibedamned Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options

so stating you opinion on pac makes it subliminal hate?
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yea Pac was all over the place. i think the love came for Pac b/c he reminded each of us of a person we know in real life. Somebody that seems to be smart and have that intelligence but at the same time says or does some of the dumbest ? ever. I really think at some point Pac seen how controversy and all the wrong ? he did was getting him more love and publicity over his positives. Yea trapped, Brenda's got baby, dear mama, and keep your head up were hits but it was like none of that ? was anywhere on the level of all his controversy. His persona became bigger than his music, and once that happened there was no turning back. Just like Reasonable Doubt a lot of ppl skipped over Pac's best work in Me against the world just to focus on his controversy. We never took time to appreciate the album. then he got out of prison on straight beef mode and him signing to death row over shadowed everything.
  • ustreet_monsta
    ustreet_monsta Members Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options

Nah. Just correcting history. He made some great inspirational music with soul. Unfortunately, after he played Bishop in Juice he started focusing more on being thuggish and less on being militant. The media ran with that image and you can see it in a lot of the rap that came out after he died.

I gotta give it up to Pac tho. Keep Ya Head Up and Dear Mama were huge records. I can remember my mom and aunt hating rap music, but loving those songs.

Edit: forgot how much everyone loved Dear Mama
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    DanknDrank wrote: »

I can't tell. Uou had every opportunity to add on and didn't.
  • Kwan Dai
    edited June 2011
    Options
    jamacia wrote: »
    let me add that it was written didn't get a ton of critical acclaim when it was released in the summer of 96. people thought it was wack, it took a few years for people to go back and realize that the album wasn't as bad as they originally thought, now people wanna say it's better than illmatic. in 96 that would be blasphemy.

i think it was written was the only album that nas acheived that balance of mainstream/pop with that pure underground style

I do agree with this though.
  • motrilla
    motrilla Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    To just say Jay was just another rapper is really slighting him. The only thing that was slighted was Jay's overall album that nobody seemed to pay attention too. but dead president's got a lot of play and once folks seen biggie in the video they started showing Jay more love. Then Aint no ? took the ? off. folks weren't talking about how great reasonable doubt was but everybody new who Jay was. the song he had for player's ball soundtrack got a lot of burn too. Jay had a pretty nice size buzz for volume 1. a lot of ppl were anticipating it then he dropped Sunshine and that ? stopped all his buzz right in their tracks. funny thing folks want to say he was a nobody b/c he was yet to have commercial success. But in the hood where hip hop used to be folks ? with jay. ? didn't really talk about his album is classic and ? back then. we either liked it or didn't. Then after the commercial success of volume 2 all of the sudden Reasonable doubt was a classic.

This is why I said when BIG was alive he was just another rapper. Ain't no ? was a hit no doubt but Foxy was actually more popular at that time her debut went platinum.
  • ibedamned
    ibedamned Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    DanknDrank wrote: »

envy? nobody even dissed pac, nobody said hes wack or terrible. How old were you when pac died because were all stating our observations and giving examples we remember, you meanwhile....
  • ustreet_monsta
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Where's the revisionist history? Everyone knows this about Nas and the story hasn't changed.

The revisionist history is that IWW was considered a good or classic album when it was released. Fans today will even argue it's better than Illmatic. IWW's increase in value is only rivaled by Hell on Earth and Reasonable Doubt.

People hated Hell on Earth when it dropped. Fans at the time were mad Drop a Gem on Em was included and they thought the Mobb had sold out, even though the album sounds pretty similar to The Infamous with better raps from Prodigy and especially Havoc.
  • 5th Letter
    edited June 2011
    Options
    let me throw biggie in there too. i think he was one of the all time greats but some would say biggie was the be all that ended all in eastcoast hip hop. keep in mind that the wu were doing their thing around that time too. odb, ? , and rae were dropping hits. the fugees were popping and nas started off slow but he started making hits in 96.
  • Kwan Dai
    edited June 2011
    Options
    motrilla wrote: »
    This is why I said when BIG was alive he was just another rapper. Ain't no ? was a hit no doubt but Foxy was actually more popular at that time her debut went platinum.

Truth!! Jayz had been rhyming 10 years prior to making his Splash. Mafuccas act like he came in the game killing ? and had this big Buzz. He was a Nobody. He was from Brooklyn and BK had groups like the Bush Babies, and Cella Dwellers who were more known in and around NY then him.
  • lamontbdc
    edited June 2011
    Options
    motrilla wrote: »

But just b/c Biggie(who you can argue as the most loved rapper ever) is bigger than jay that doesn't make him just another rapper. If that's the case you can say that about dam near every rapper in Ny at the time. Foxy was more popular at the time but that was directly due to Jay. 3rd bass were just some other rappers
  • Kwan Dai
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The revisionist history is that IWW was considered a good or classic album when it was released. Fans today will even argue it's better than Illmatic. IWW's increase in value is only rivaled by Hell on Earth and Reasonable Doubt.

People hated Hell on Earth when it dropped. Fans at the time were mad Drop a Gem on Em was included and they thought the Mobb had sold out, even though the album sounds pretty similar to The Infamous with better raps from Prodigy and especially Havoc.

I'll agree that IWW gets more Props now but that's mainly because, of Gangster rap in general. But let's keep it true. Illmatic by most standards and polls is Head and shoulders above IWW.
  • 5th Letter
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Truth!! Jayz had been rhyming 10 years prior to making his Splash. Mafuccas act like he came in the game killing ? and had this big Buzz. He was a Nobody. He was from Brooklyn and BK had groups like the Bush Babies, and Cella Dwellers who were more known in and around NY then him.

but you dont go gold in your first year with no type of buzz though. he may not have been the biggest artist at the time but he had to have had "some" buzz at that time.
  • Kwan Dai
    edited June 2011
    Options
    But just b/c Biggie(who you can argue as the most loved rapper ever) is bigger than jay that doesn't make him just another rapper. If that's the case you can say that about dam near every rapper in Ny at the time. Foxy was more popular at the time but that was directly due to Jay. 3rd bass were just some other rappers

Revisionist History at it's finest. Jay couldn't even make himself popular. Cut it out.
  • Kwan Dai
    edited June 2011
    Options
    but you dont go gold in your first year with no type of buzz though. he may not have been the biggest artist at the time but he had to have had "some" buzz at that time.

#'s Mean nothing to me as pointed out back in 94 when Boot Camp was sitting in a Video scanning their own CD's. JAYZ was as a nobody simple as that.
  • 5th Letter
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Biggie was jukin in the 90's he Ran new york just like 50 runs it now

The box and the radio stayed rotating warning,Juicy,players anthem,get money,big poppa,One more chance,the songs wit him and da brat and total

Thats false jamaica you tryin to appease the people by acting objective but u know it aint accurate

The streets wasnt bumpin wu like that thats an acquired taste,they were doin their thing but not like biggie

maybe because i was around the tri state at the time but method man was killing it with you're all i need, odb had shimmy shimmy haw and rae had ice cream. redman was doing his thing with how high too, how i forget about red, naughty was killing it in 95. biggie was huge but there were other acts holding it down too.
  • Kwan Dai
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Biggie was jukin in the 90's he Ran new york just like 50 runs it now

The box and the radio stayed rotating warning,Juicy,players anthem,get money,big poppa,One more chance,the songs wit him and da brat and total

Thats false jamaica you tryin to appease the people by acting objective but u know it aint accurate

The streets wasnt bumpin wu like that thats an acquired taste,they were doin their thing but not like biggie

100% true that Radio wasn't bumping Wu but just about every mafucca I know had Wu Music. Protect your next and Method Man was getting Bumped EVERY WHERE. But lets also keep it 100. Biggie wasn't on the radio because, he was NICER. PUFF had NY on Lock after having unbelievable success with Mary, and Joeci.
  • lamontbdc
    edited June 2011
    Options
    let me throw biggie in there too. i think he was one of the all time greats but some would say biggie was the be all that ended all in eastcoast hip hop. keep in mind that the wu were doing their thing around that time too. odb, ? , and rae were dropping hits. the fugees were popping and nas started off slow but he started making hits in 96.

True Biggie was one of the few that hit big with his 1st single and just took off from there. You had folks like Jeru, AZ, Onyx, and even Nice and smooth dropping heat but weren't really huge or even that successful at the time.

I got 2 more one is from yoru thread yesterday

But I think folks are missing exactly how big of a deal snoop was when he dropped.

and Mc Hammer was that ? for a minute. It wasn't just a one hit wonder
  • 5th Letter
    edited June 2011
    Options
    #'s Mean nothing to me as pointed out back in 94 when Boot Camp was sitting in a Video scanning their own CD's. JAYZ was as a nobody simple as that.

jay z's popularity in 96 is equivalent to where j cole is today.
  • lamontbdc
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Revisionist History at it's finest. Jay couldn't even make himself popular. Cut it out.

he was writing her lyrics that's why i say it was due to jay i
  • ustreet_monsta
    edited June 2011
    Options
    BIG had the East on lock, but people were checking for Wu and Boot Camp Click too. A lot of Hip Hop purists didnt ? with BIG and were heavy into BCC, Wu, Jeru, Gangstarr & Mobb Deep. Even back then people hated Puff for stealing/ sampling and watering down the music.
  • Kwan Dai
    edited June 2011
    Options
    he was writing her lyrics that's why i say it was due to jay i

Keep it True fam. ? wasn't checking Foxxy for her lyrics. Cut it out.
  • 5th Letter
    edited June 2011
    Options
    True Biggie was one of the few that hit big with his 1st single and just took off from there. You had folks like Jeru, AZ, Onyx, and even Nice and smooth dropping heat but weren't really huge or even that successful at the time.

I got 2 more one is from yoru thread yesterday

But I think folks are missing exactly how big of a deal snoop was when he dropped.

and Mc Hammer was that ? for a minute. It wasn't just a one hit wonder

yeah ill and al scratch, boot camp click all had a lil run between 94-97. yeah biggie's appearance on flava in ya ear was legendary that helped his buzz out a lot too.