revisionist history

Options

Comments

• DanknDrank
    DanknDrank Members Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    ibedamned wrote: »
    i cant argue with anything you said. Good points, I mainly have a problem with pac fans that cant face reality. they act like if pac was around he'd be obama or some ? .

naw, he already had a felony so i doubt he would be allowed to campaign anyway, but i wouldn't doubt him wanting to be in politics some kind of way even if it was small role, nor would i doubt him being one of the biggest stars in Hollywood due to him wanting to go full time into acting, imo he would probably be on Cube/Will smith status right now,milti million movies & drop a album every 5yrs or so
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited June 2011
    Options
    i have to call shenanigans on the dipset movement too. dont get me wrong they were popping but people made it seem like they were on top and running ? .
  • ustreet_monsta
    ustreet_monsta Members Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    ^ Dipset was about as big as State Property. They both had their cities on smash and the effect wore off as soon as The Roc/ Jay-Z co-sign disappeared.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    yea i think dipset was bigger than state prop
  • ustreet_monsta
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Cain_Marko wrote: »
    lol@ state property......at best SP was opening acts for other artist. city on smash and nationwide is not the same lol

You're gonna tell me that heads all over the East weren't checking for Beans or Freeway? Or didn't watch the State Property movies?

Only Dipset artist to do numbers was Cam'ron.

State Property Soundtrack went gold. So did Diplomatic Immunity. State Property 2 was nominated for a grammy and launched a clothing line.

Only difference between the 2 groups was Cam'ron was a bigger star than Beans.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Tupac was always popular - Wasn't a Big seller, Snoop and Dre sold more than him. It wasn't until the beef, shooting and prision that he exploded on the charts. His 1st two albums were basically Gold albums until the drama started.

Biggie was the end all be all of New York Hip Hop in the 90's - Was not alone in the raise of the East. As the years go on Big's legacy grows and he is now considered the Messiah of the East Coast. Wu was there, NaS was there. Sure they weren't moving the same units but they were there. Biggie did rule but he had a royal court and they should be mentioned.

Jay Z has always been Big in Hip Hop- Jay's entrance into the game was luke warm at best. He did have a gold album and 2 gold singles but in 96 he was still low tier. Biggie was doing everything to promote Jay and get him higher in the ranks but being in his 1st two singles videos and appearing on the LP. Jay did not blow up until after Biggie died. A Lot of fans still believe his career started in 96 instead of 89/90 with Big Jaz and that he was hot from jump. I'm one of Jay's day 1 fans so I was there, I copped RD summer of 96 and though I felt it was a classic from jump, it wasn't considered one.

NaS was a success from jump - "ILLmatic" was beloved by East coast and New Yorkers but had limited impact commercially when it dropped. It was critically acclaimed but a majority of Hip Hop Slept on it. A Matter of fact most rap fans were introduced to NaS during "I.W.W." which made him the 1st solo NYC emcee outside Biggie to go Platinum once he switched his style. RTD which dropped the same year completely outshinned NaS and propelled Biggie to the top spot.

Eminem was co-signed by Blacks once they saw Dre - The Black Community did not embrace Eminem when he linked up with Dre. "My Name Is " was and still is considered a horrible corny single, it wasn't until "MMLP" that Eminem actually started to get some play in the hood and even then it was limited. Till this day though Eminem does have minority fans, it is far less than his counterparts.

DMX ended the shiny suit era - DMX did not destroy the "Shiny Suit Movement" cause it wasn't a movement. Puffy only wore Shinny Suits in 2 videos. Also DMX was an unofficial member of Bad Boy appearing on multiple albums and songs and even featuring Faith, Ma&e and the Lox on his debut album.

Outkast was always popluar - they were never a real popular group until their 3rd album. People slept on their debut, "ATLiens" got people's attention but they still weren't as popular yet. Sure they went Plat and had love in the South but people didn't fully start to check them until "Aquemini" blew. White America completely slept on them until "Stankonia" and "Ms Jackson" blew.

That's just a few off the top of the head.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    That Kool Moe Dee didn’t have the better disses between he and LL.

That Eminem never mentioned Canibus as one of his influences in rap.

That the ? Bis said about Beanie Sigel and LL Cool J wasn’t confirmed years later.

That Ja Rule didn’t help resurrect Def Jam.

That Billboard didn’t lie about album sales.

That Eminem didn’t bite Chino XL heavy on The Marshall Mathers LP.

That Master P didn’t show people how to make a ? load of money off of hip-hop.

That a large number of “mainstream” rappers are only in the position they’re in because of connections or ass kissing.
  • lamontbdc
    edited June 2011
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »
    That Kool Moe Dee didn’t have the better disses between he and LL.

That Eminem never mentioned Canibus as one of his influences in rap.

That the ? Bis said about Beanie Sigel and LL Cool J wasn’t confirmed years later.

That Ja Rule didn’t help resurrect Def Jam.

That Billboard didn’t lie about album sales.

That Eminem didn’t bite Chino XL heavy on The Marshall Mathers LP.

That Master P didn’t show people how to make a ? load of money off of hip-hop.

That a large number of “mainstream” rappers are only in the position they’re in because of connections or ass kissing.

what he say about them i must've missed that one
  • ustreet_monsta
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Cain_Marko wrote: »
    dipset put out records for the majority of their artist. SP had has many members as dipset besides young guns freeway and beans whio else came out?

Nobody. Peedi, Neef, & Beans couldn't stay outta jail long enough to really do anything. O and Sparks were supposed to release an album, but then then Dame & Jay split.

One thing about the State Property cats is that they were really living what they rapped about.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    what he say about them i must've missed that one

[Canibus]
    Yo //
    I thug it with you, I slug it with you //
    I'll have ? running around like, Yeah, 'Bis brung it to you //
    ? , I'll punish you //
    Catch you in the street like what's the issue? monkey face, I'll monkey flip you //
    I always wanted to diss you //
    You ugly as a pit bull ? I'll rip you //
    This is where the broad street bullying stops //
    My bars are gold bullion, yours are not //
    Truth is I never thought your metaphors were hot //
    You just talk a lot a ? cause you’re on the Roc //
    There's no proof in your truth, it was a flop //
    That's why Jigga signed Cam'ron to take your spot //
    You think you hot cause you got a little bling or what not //
    A typical hustler, all you do is think about rocks //
    With a budget like yours, you should of sold more //
    You probably think you were re-cooped, ? you so wrong
    //
    I think Jay ? you go look at your deal //
    In that black mink you look like an ape for real //
    If I was blind and I couldn't tell //
    I'd probably still hear it from a ? that you ugly as hell //
    For starters the Bentley ain’t yours it's Shawn Carter's //
    And if it ain’t Shawns, it's his partners //
    You’re just another novice artist with frog lips //
    On the Rocafella roster that follows orders, ?
    //
    You trying too much you lying to ? //
    You too hyped up, spend some more time in the cut //
    I'll turn my voice up loud so I can tell you what’s up //
    Rhyme for rhyme, you was never ready for Bus //
    Your quotables are anecdotal //
    Your whole crew softer than tofu, most of y'all don't even know the truth //
    If you did then you knew I was a soldier too //
    Doing what you already sold your souls to do //
    I'm doing shows and my wrist stays frozen too //
    But I own my ? , who owns you? //
    I should sign to the Roc //
    Battle you in the lobby of Worldwide plaza, make you resign on the spot //
    Give me that mic back Mack ? you can't spit //
    I don't even know why the ? Jigga passed you that ? //
    I'll embarrass you with that ? , blast you that quick //
    Wrap you in plastic and toe-tag you as a Jacker //

I Gotta Story to Tell
    [Canibus]
    Ono wanna beef with that steam fish? //
    Tell your artist, keep my name out your mouth or you won’t have no peace //
    Compared to Canibus your pit bulls are poultry //
    You and Biggie made a dope team, but I’ll roast Beans //
    So be careful how you approach things //
    My name ain’t “J to the mwa”, man I got a flow that stings //
    It’s rap music, you confuse it if you want to //
    I might still diss you just to see what you gonna do //
    You must be getting insecure or something //
    I’m just admiring your ? man, I ain’t gonna touch it //
    I been through a lot of things in my life but I learned from it //
    Put yourself in my shoes, don’t I deserve something? //
    The only difference between me and you is a budget //
    Don’t make me have to go and sign with Suge or somethin
    //
    Remember this, history repeats itself //
    Whenever that never-ending hunger meets itself //
    Everybody want their wealth, peace and health //
    When I was ? up you didn’t give a couple G’s to help //
    Did you? No, you waited for my cheese to melt //
    You want all the hot beats and the streets to yourself //
    Well, my patronymic is different enough to attract interest //
    From anybody in the rap business and I’mma get it cash or credit //
    Besides a little drama with my first two records //
    Rip the Jacker’s image is unblemished //
    Come on, I wouldn’t bite you, I look at you like my dentist //
    I thought you was number one recommended, why you offended? //
    Hip Hop ain’t your property, you ain’t the only tenant //
    If I win the lottery you can’t tell me how to spend it //
    You got something to say don’t put your henchmen in it //
    Your little monkey-faced artists that you signed for pennies //
    I refuse to serve them like Denny’s, you know they rhymes is petty //
    Don’t tell me that your school of Hard Knocks turned preppy
    //
    None of you mother ? know me and you never met me //
    And if my name wasn’t ? then you wouldn’t sweat me //
    That’s absurd right, me getting busy get on your nerves right? //
    You really are listening to the words right? //
    High when I wrote this but sober when I spoke it //
    It’s not like I tried to promote it like Jay-O did //
    You notice? Man I was never focused on you //
    I just spit hard on the mic cause my ? is hot too //
    I went out and bought your album two times I ain’t hatin//
    Next thing I know you’re talking Jamaican like you’re a native //
    But you’re really violatin, you don’t know what you saying//
    Canibus ain’t in the game so you know he ain’t playin//
    I had nothing before and I have nothing now //
    ? with a ? with nothing only brings you down //
    At the 3:40 mark
  • lamontbdc
    edited June 2011
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »

At the 3:40 mark

dam i've never been the biggest bis fan but he just ate him up

what brought about that diss?
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    dam i've never been the biggest bis fan but he just ate him up

what brought about that diss?

Beanie said " I rock Bells I aint Canibus ? " or something like that when he diss Jada.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    That skill was the end all and be all of a successful rapper in the 90's. That's one of the biggest myths I've come across.
  • HipHopFiend91
    HipHopFiend91 Members Posts: 2,394
    edited June 2011
    Options
    ibedamned wrote: »
    to me pac owns this thread, posters like menace whom has said he was like 4 when he died have this idea that he was WAY bigger than he was. ? ppl wasnt checkin for militant pac like that. He always had talent, but they forget this ? was doing the humpty dance on stage before he blew up.

c/s

i'm 20 but my uncles and my mom all said 2pac wasn't huge like he is today it was when the drama started and after he died he started blowing up.
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    NAWLEDGE_REIGNS Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    motrilla wrote: »
    I be tryna tell these youngins that when Biggie was alive Jay Z was just another rapper from Brooklyn,and no one considered Reasonable Doubt anything special when it was released.

Yes And Yes That Annie Sample Put Jigga Man On The Map...And Nobody Was Checkin For Dude Outside of The 5 Boros....Not Hater Just Statin Facts
  • Who Cares???
    Who Cares??? Members Posts: 1,167
    edited June 2011
    Options
    sionb55 wrote: »

- with all due respect to my ? who mentioned Nas, naahh b Nas did 8 million before Hov & them other ? came out. After Big & Wu , Nas was top 3 best selling rappers in New York.

What? You're bugging with this ? . There's no way in hell Nas was at 8 mil sold before jay-z debuted in 96. He dropped he second joint in 96. You telling me Illmatic and IWW did four mil a piece or numbers that equated to 8 mil? Nas was top 3 best selling behind Big and Wu? Did LL, who sold way more records by 96, not come from NY? You bugging with this post.
  • HipHopFiend91
    HipHopFiend91 Members Posts: 2,394
    edited June 2011
    Options
    lmao at wikipedia c'mon fam wikipedia ain't nothing but some one else's article. i don't ? with wikipedia to many people go up in there edit ?
  • ustreet_monsta
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Wikipedia use it. Bad wording on my part fam. IllMatic did 1 mil, IWW did 2 mil, I Am & Nastradamus did 2x plat a piece, LL only did 6 million. From 1990 to 1997/99 Nas was one of the best selling solo acts in NY.

Hov didnt blow up till like 2000/2001. He dropped in 96 but i remember CLEARLY that ? was NOT selling or generating a big buzz till AFTER big died & after that he was still overshadowed by the competition. In 98/99 he was becoming more noticeable but still overshadowed. Nas was selling records & he didnt have a group of ? like Wu Tang did. im gonna stick to my post lolol.

How did he not blow up until 2000/2001 if Hard Knock Life sold 5 million copies? I'm with yall on him not being a major factor in rap until Vol. 2 (1998) or not having the critical acclaim of Nas or Wu. So basically he debuted in 96 and sold 5 million copies by 98. The end.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Wikipedia use it. Bad wording on my part fam. IllMatic did 1 mil, IWW did 2 mil, I Am & Nastradamus did 2x plat a piece, LL only did 6 million. From 1990 to 1997/99 Nas was one of the best selling solo acts in NY.

Hov didnt blow up till like 2000/2001. He dropped in 96 but i remember CLEARLY that ? was NOT selling or generating a big buzz till AFTER big died & after that he was still overshadowed by the competition. In 98/99 he was becoming more noticeable but still overshadowed. Nas was selling records & he didnt have a group of ? like Wu Tang did. im gonna stick to my post lolol.

If I may, Jay became a top 3 NY act/top 5 hip hop act in 2000/2001, but he blew up circa vol. 2.
  • ibedamned
    ibedamned Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Thank you for making this thread i want to see the responses that come out of this.....

- Juvie's Back That Ass Up opened the doors for the south & everyone in the south even for ? like outkast. When that record dropped EVERYONE started to pay attention & a 101 copycat records followed shortly....

pure shennagians my ? .
  • 5th Letter
    edited June 2011
    Options
    outkast were the first southern artist to get major play on other regions, then scarface in 97, master p, cash money, and trick daddy started their runs in the late 90's and thus begin the early stages of the south beginining their run.
  • nasmandru
    nasmandru Members Posts: 126
    edited June 2011
    Options
    your numbers are completely wrong. Illmatic didn't go platinum until 2001 after the beef with Jay-z.

It was written sold 2.7 with another 800k overseas. I Am did 2.2, Nastradamus barely went platinum.
  • MAKAVELI25
    MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Cosign

Cosign this

Definitely cosign this add synthesis lame ass,I came 4pussy and all the rest of them revisionist groupie ?

They straight up believe pac was somethin he wasnt he was not runnin rap

? was checkin for black moon enta da stage before they was checkin for pac

Smh @ you having so much hate in your heart for a corpse. Whether or not you're a fan, ? kinda sad, fam
  • sniperk
    sniperk Members Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Revisionist history: Canibus debut album wasn't one of the most highly anticipated albums... EVER.

It is easy to clown on Canibus' lacklustre career now (though he still makes some noise in the underground community), but when that first album dropped in the fall of 1998 after all the buzz from that 'Second Round K.O.' joint that dissed L.L. Cool J, the streets were going bananas.

Unfortunately, Wyclef's production and Canibus' lyrics never really meshed that well and the album was a disappointment after all that hype but it was so anticipated at the time (pre-file sharing and downloading era) that people were sharing dubbed tapes of just the snippets of the album before it dropped.

I don't think I saw that type of buzz again until 50 Cent dropped 'Get Rich Or Die Tryin'...
  • 5th Letter
    edited June 2011
    Options
    sniperk wrote: »
    Revisionist history: Canibus debut album wasn't one of the most highly anticipated albums... EVER.

It is easy to clown on Canibus' lacklustre career now (though he still makes some noise in the underground community), but when that first album dropped in the fall of 1998 after all the buzz from that 'Second Round K.O.' joint that dissed L.L. Cool J, the streets were going bananas.

Unfortunately, Wyclef's production and Canibus' lyrics never really meshed that well and the album was a disappointment after all that hype but it was so anticipated at the time (pre-file sharing and downloading era) that people were sharing dubbed tapes of just the snippets of the album before it dropped.

I don't think I saw that type of buzz again until 50 Cent dropped 'Get Rich Or Die Tryin'...

hell yeah canibus dropped the album and just fell from grace, he even performed at the mtv awards that year too.