Ask a Somali anything.

Options

Comments

• SoutCity
    SoutCity Members Posts: 1,901 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    i'm rahanweyn, that's the major clan group. sub clans, i'm waanjeel on my dad's side and yintaar on my mom's side

al shabaab are crazy. they're no different than all the different groups that have tried to rise to power over the years. they're religious fanatics, and psychos basically.

ethiopia and somalia have had a contentious history. we've had wars and border conflicts. there was a lot of propaganda to make ordinary people hate ethiopians and vice versa. i love ethiopians cuz i lived there for a couple of years and grew close to so many of them, but not all somalis feel that way. i think the conflict is more noticeable back home than it is here

If by any chance the country becomes stable would return?
  • SoutCity
    edited July 2011
    Options
    are you asking if it will ever be stable again, i'm not sure. everyone wants to be the one in power and no one wants to concede. if it is i don't see it happening any time soon

I was asking if it become stable, would you consider returning home? I been doing some reading on the situation over there and I think without outside interference the counties has a chance.
  • Gangsta Shit
    Gangsta Shit Members Posts: 1,025 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    what language do somalis speak

click click beep beep caa caa
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    lol, realest quote ever typed about us.

one of these days i'll get around to making an "ask a somali/canadian/pathologists' assistant anything" thread

i actually was viewing the troubled history between somalia and ethiopia and it's crazy how much bigger ethiopia is and how without outside help, somalia kept whooping their ass smh

Ethiopia need some jamaicans over there to help regulate u ? ..

An "ask kai_" thread would be better, if ? think your thread is about ; a job, political strife and weak ass canada...lol
    that thread will definitely be ignored
  • -Vincenzo-
    -Vincenzo- Members Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    why do other africans look down upon somalis?
  • -Vincenzo-
    edited July 2011
    Options
    i didn't know they did. the question i get asked is usually the other way around

i had the feeling while i was in london, they used to tell jokes about them and they lived in different areas. what do you mean by the other way around, what do other africans say to you?
  • SunflowaSeeds
    SunflowaSeeds Members Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Why'd you make a new username?
  • game changer
    game changer Members Posts: 217
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Why'd you make a new username?

yeah man all this gorilla talk is familiar theres like a pattern or summin

for why tho? thas my question
  • king bloo
    king bloo Members Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    people think that somalis think they're better than other africans. and while some do, it has more to do with somalis thinking they're better than everyone. we have a real issue with being altogether too prideful. and somalis tend to really dislike arabs and whites, but that's true for almost all east africans

Kenyans>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Somalis.

you mbuzi ? me with y'all attitudes.
  • -Vincenzo-
    edited July 2011
    Options
    people think that somalis think they're better than other africans. and while some do, it has more to do with somalis thinking they're better than everyone. we have a real issue with being altogether too prideful. and somalis tend to really dislike arabs and whites, but that's true for almost all east africans

so this lookin down on each other seems to be reciprocative. regarding other younger africans i saw them looking down on somalis cause they tend to be less athletic and fashion-conscious, adults held resentments cause somalis are a little radical regarding islam like women wearing head scarves.

culturally i think east africans are totally different from other africans like nigerians or angolans, must be the arab influence. i really didnt know you dont like arabs, i even wondered if east africans feel closer to arabs than to other africans cause culturally and lookswise they differ a lot.
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    -Vincenzo- wrote: »
    i had the feeling while i was in london, they used to tell jokes about them and they lived in different areas. what do you mean by the other way around, what do other africans say to you?

Nah b its more like the other way round.
  • garv
    edited July 2011
    Options
    so this lookin down on each other seems to be reciprocative. regarding other younger africans i saw them looking down on somalis cause they tend to be less athletic and fashion-conscious, adults held resentments cause somalis are a little radical regarding islam like women wearing head scarves.

culturally i think east africans are totally different from other africans like nigerians or angolans, must be the arab influence. i really didnt know you dont like arabs, i even wondered if east africans feel closer to arabs than to other africans cause culturally and lookswise they differ a lot.

No one looks down on Somalis, it just that Somalis tend to separate themselves from other Africans and the black community in general, so there then becomes a lot of animosity between the two groups.
  • -Vincenzo-
    edited July 2011
    Options
    garv wrote: »
    No one looks down on Somalis, it just that Somalis tend to separate themselves from other Africans and the black community in general, so there then becomes a lot of animosity between the two groups.

it's called tribalism and a lot of africans do it, not only africans but all people if we are being honest.

the thing i was talkin bout is that somalis and some other east africans are really different, by being influenced starkly by arabs not only through their blood but also religion etc. plus they are not athletic or fashion-conscious, you know all these stereotypes of blacks really dont fit them at all.

it's odd to me but as i said this must really be the arab influence.
  • garv
    edited July 2011
    Options
    it's called tribalism and a lot of africans do it, not only africans but all people if we are being honest.

the thing i was talkin bout is that somalis and some other east africans are really different, by being influenced starkly by arabs not only through their blood but also religion etc. plus they are not athletic or fashion-conscious, you know all these stereotypes of blacks really dont fit them at all.

it's odd to me but as i said this must really be the arab influence.

Yeah i agree with what your saying, but while other Africans are tribalist they do mix with each other and the Carribean community more so than Somalis, in fact many Somalis do not even consider themselves as Black.
  • VisionsOfFire
    VisionsOfFire Members Posts: 223
    edited July 2011
    Options
    what you think about them pirates?
  • IC Retiree
    IC Retiree Members Posts: 136
    edited July 2011
    Options
    How can anyone in their right mind look down on Southern Africans, seriously! We have the best history and cultural mix from Jon Van Riebeeck – Dutch, to the Bush Men to Cecil John Rhodes to Germans in Namibia to Portuguese in Mozambique and Angola, I just don’t see how any other African region competes with us. Also we are superior financially, intellectually and athletically.
    Even our dogs are superior –
    rhodesian_ridgeback.jpg

So what’s going on in East Africa?
  • garv
    edited July 2011
    Options
    IC Retiree wrote: »
    How can anyone in their right mind look down on Southern Africans, seriously! We have the best history and cultural mix from Jon Van Riebeeck – Dutch, to the Bush Men to Cecil John Rhodes to Germans in Namibia to Portuguese in Mozambique and Angola, I just don’t see how any other African region competes with us. Also we are superior financially, intellectually and athletically.
    Even our dogs are superior –
    rhodesian_ridgeback.jpg

So what’s going on in East Africa?

SMH, you can't be serious with this post.
  • -Vincenzo-
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Yeah i agree with what your saying, but while other Africans are tribalist they do mix with each other and the Carribean community more so than Somalis, in fact many Somalis do not even consider themselves as Black.

that's the feeling i got and i also had some people tellin me they do not consider somalis to be truely black in their hearts. that's why i was surprised to see kai sayin somalis dislike arabs, i always thought you were more inclined towards arabs then blacks.
  • young law
    young law Members Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    i jus looked up the word "mbuzi" and got a white man milking a goat

wtf is that about
  • IC Retiree
    edited July 2011
    Options
    SMH, you can't be serious with this post.

Stop nitpicking and do not misconstrue my post, we can not ignore history. How is my statement any different from saying there were in Spaniards in Mexico and Cuba or in saying that Milwaukee has a large German population or that many Jews control the US economy.
    Stop looking for stuff that is not there.
  • IC Retiree
    edited July 2011
    Options
    young law wrote: »
    i jus looked up the word "mbuzi" and got a white man milking a goat

wtf is that about

Mbuzi is goat in Swahili.
  • young law
    young law Members Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    so callin someone a goat is like the worst of insults on east africa
    or
    is it jus a common thing folks call each other

like women calin each other chick or men sayin dog
  • SoutCity
    edited July 2011
    Options
    they're doing what they have to do. if other countries weren't trying to illegally pollute our waters, or try to use it for shortcuts, they wouldn't be pirated. they fish and steal all the countries resources, because they feel like what government is there to stop them

the pirates just want money so if you pay them, they'll never hurt anyone

I been telling my mother the same thing. I fully support the Somali Pirates.

i know the biggest problems somalis have with arabs is in regards to the religion. somalis feel like arabs are hypocrites, and bad muslims, we have a phrase in my language that basically translates to "arabs were made muslim by the sword". basically, they were forced to be muslim, while we choose it willingly

arabs tend to look down on other muslims just cuz the prophet was arab. and we've just always had a contentious relationship with them. so if you wanna ? a somali person off tell them they're part arab (which we totally are not) and they will lose it

You are part arab
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    no we're not. people mistakenly believe so, but that's not true.

east africa is the cradle of civilization. so if we were here first, how do we look like them? if anything they look like us and not the other way around. anyway, genetic testing has proven that we are not mixed with arabs. of course there are somalis who are part arab (a parent from yemen or other arab countries). but as a whole, we're not part arab at all

East Africa is probably the cradle of humanity but 'civilization' as defined by anthropologists started in the Middle East. I agree that most Somalis don't have Arab ancestry. A surprising number of Arabs in countries like Yemen have African ancestry due to the Islamic slave trade.

I helped a beetle that was stuck on it's back on to it's legs again. Can you imagine what it would be like to be an insect and fall on your back and not be able to move. It's ridiculous.
  • -Vincenzo-
    edited July 2011
    Options
    i know the biggest problems somalis have with arabs is in regards to the religion. somalis feel like arabs are hypocrites, and bad muslims, we have a phrase in my language that basically translates to "arabs were made muslim by the sword". basically, they were forced to be muslim, while we choose it willingly

arabs tend to look down on other muslims just cuz the prophet was arab. and we've just always had a contentious relationship with them. so if you wanna ? a somali person off tell them they're part arab (which we totally are not) and they will lose it

well kai or should i say ms dhag cas, in this case i'm sorry i have to ? you off once again but yes somalis are totally part arab.

first and foremost, legend has it that somalis immigrated to the area we call somalia nowadays from the arabian peninsula although this is confuted by most historians. second, even though they probably did not migrate from the arabian peninsula it is undoubted that somalis mixed with arabs especially in the coastal towns, even a blind man could see this. don't make me call maury to clarify this!