JayToTheZ Members Posts: 454
    edited August 2011
    Options
    2001 > The Chronic....
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Great album, truly amazing. I was in a bar about a year ago and they played the whole album. Genius from start to finish, he had amazing features, but he held it down by himself on The Watcher:
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    great album...
  • genocide_cutter
    genocide_cutter Members Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    JayToTheZ wrote: »
    2001 > The Chronic....

Nah cant cosign that
  • siqnih da rapper
    siqnih da rapper Members Posts: 5,699 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Nah cant cosign that

ill smack the ? outta u
  • HipHopFiend91
    HipHopFiend91 Members Posts: 2,394
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Great album, truly amazing. I was in a bar about a year ago and they played the whole album. Genius from start to finish, he had amazing features, but he held it down by himself on The Watcher:

Co Sign like a ? ...................................
  • genocide_cutter
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • genocide_cutter
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    [dre voice] Hell yeaaahhh [/dre voice]

Stone cold: AHH Hell Yeah
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Top 10 album ever
  • genocide_cutter
    edited August 2011
    Options
    hlf wrote: »
    Top 10 album ever

Word.........
  • midwest_messiah
    midwest_messiah Members Posts: 635 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    2001 > The Chronic....

C/S. 2001 is a masterpiece.
  • genocide_cutter
    edited August 2011
    Options
    C/S. 2001 is a masterpiece.

Both are but the Chronic is better
  • midwest_messiah
    midwest_messiah Members Posts: 635 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Both are but the Chronic is better

In what way?
  • genocide_cutter
    edited August 2011
    Options
    In what way?

every way that ? had time less classics like Let me ride and nothin but G thang
  • the best 1
    the best 1 Members Posts: 704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    2001 > The Chronic....

Hell Naw!!!!

2001 is wack compared to The Chronic.

Real talk... 2001 ain't even better than "? ".

I remember when 2001 first came out... First the single "Still Dre" came out and everybody was bangin that ? and waiting on the CD to drop. So then 2001 comes out and from what I remember most of the cats I knew said it was "Alright" or "They didn't really like it".

The one song everybody liked was "Still Dre"... but by the time the CD came out that song kinda was played-out... so after listening to the CD most ? were like "This ? aint all that". It was like we were expecting that same "Magic/Dopeness" that "The Chronic" had and 2001 just didn't have it.

IMHO there's not one song on 2001 that's ? with "Nuthin' But A G Thang ", "Dre Day", "Let me Ride", "Stranded on Death Row" or "? aint ? "... It's like the songs on 2001 had to grow on you... after hearing "Forgot about Dre" 200 times a day on the radio and seeing the video every 30 minutes on Mtv... you started to kinda like the song and think it was "ok" but it still wasn't "The ? ".

But the songs on "The Chronic" were the ? after the first time you heard them... you didn't have listen to "Let Me Ride" 100 times to finally say "I kinda like that song". lol

2001 is a classic album I just don't think it was all that dope.. and compared to "The Chronic" or "? " is was like 2001 was kinda wack... that just shows you how dope "The Chronic" and "? " were when they came out.

I think it's a generational gap thing also... older cats like myself who came up on "The Chronic" seem to be the ones who think 2001 is overrated were as that next generation that came up on 2001 say it's better than "The Chronic".

But it still is considered a classic album just like "The Chronic" so Dre still won.....
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    the best 1 wrote: »
    Hell Naw!!!!

I remember when 2001 first came out... First the single "Still Dre" came out and everybody was bangin that ? and waiting on the CD to drop. So then 2001 comes out and from what I remember most of the cats I knew said it was "Alright" or "They didn't really like it".

The one song everybody liked was "Still Dre"... but by the time the CD came out that song kinda was played-out... so after listening to the CD most ? were like "This ? aint all that". It was like we were expecting that same "Magic/Dopeness" that "The Chronic" had and 2001 just didn't have it.

IMHO there's not one song on 2001 that's ? with "Nuthin' But A G Thang ", "Dre Day", "Let me Ride", "Stranded on Death Row" or "? aint ? "... It's like the songs on 2001 had to grow on you... after hearing "Forgot about Dre" 200 times a day on the radio and seeing the video every 30 minutes on Mtv... you started to kinda like the song and think it was "ok" but it still wasn't "The ? ".

But the songs on "The Chronic" were the ? after the first time you heard them... you didn't have listen to "Let Me Ride" 100 times to finally say "I kinda like that song". lol

2001 is a classic album I just don't think it was all that dope.. and compared to "The Chronic" or "? " is was like 2001 was kinda wack... that just shows you how dope "The Chronic" and "? " were when they came out.

I think it's a generational gap thing also... older cats like myself who came up on "The Chronic" seem to be the ones who think 2001 is overrated were as that next generation that came up on 2001 say it's better than "The Chronic".

But it still is considered a classic album just like "The Chronic" so Dre still won.....

Thats a reasonable statement. Not saying much cause all 3 albums are top 10 worthy
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Overrated ass album if you ask me....
    only dope songs are "? You", "House Wife", "Some LA ? ", "Still Dre" and "Xxpolsive"...

The album is a solid 3 out of 5.
  • the best 1
    the best 1 Members Posts: 704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Yamoley wrote: »
    Overrated ass album if you ask me....
    only dope songs are "? You", "House Wife", "Some LA ? ", "Still Dre" and "Xxpolsive"...

The album is a solid 3 out of 5.

C/S...............
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bump

Released 16yrs ago 2day
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the best 1 wrote: »
    2001 > The Chronic....

Hell Naw!!!!

The difference is there was a lull on the East coast when The Chronic came out. New York had A Tribe Called Quest, Gang Starr, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, Black Sheep, Brand Nubian, Onyx and Naughty By Nature but none of those groups were really moving units, not platinum anyway. The door was wide open and Dre had a new sound. Dre's style was clearly more polished and had an altogether different vibe. Even his music videos had a different look.

When 2001 came out you had Jay Z, DMX, Nas, Black Rob, Blackstarr, The Roots, Common, No Limit, Cash Money. 2001 was just another album in a year where there was at least a dozen albums that were 4 mics or better.

There might have even been a few 5 mic classics in 1999, I'd have to go back and check.

Having said that, the beat to XXXplosive is GOAT.

Also, a lot of people don't know but Lord Finesse produced the last song on 2001, The Message.

• Tsotsi Cape Town
    Tsotsi Cape Town Members Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are we forgetting what state the West was in, in '99? ? was looking bleak to say the least....

Then this dropped and it was a wrap up til' The Documentary
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »

This album had some of jay-z's best work