Gucci Mane Says Z-Ro is underrated... So did the NY TIMES

Options
dzlife
dzlife Members Posts: 2
edited August 2011 in The Reason
http://www.sohh.com/2011/08/hes_somebody_i_think_should_be_bigger_th.html?utm_source=feedburner

I would have to name Z-Ro from Houston, Texas as SOHH Underrated. That's who I think is underrated. I like his music and I feel like he keeps it real to what he is. He's being who he is. I'm a really big fan of him.
I remember always hearing a couple of his songs while I was down in Houston. He's one of those artists that always goes hard. I think Z-Ro's underrated and he's somebody that I think should be bigger than what he is right now.
I've always been a fan of Texas music too. You got artists like Z-Ro and then you have UGK, Bun B and [the late] ? C. That's another one I've always been a big fan of. ? C. I remember I had a song with him right before he passed away. We were working together for a song. I was supposed to have him on my album.

You can even put Tech N9ne in there as someone who's really underrated. But Z-Ro is my pick for the most underrated out right now.
Gucci Mane's career stems from 2005 when he put together his debut album, Hard to ? . He later took the song "Go Head" from his first album and made it the lead single for the second in order to make up for the time taken away from promoting Trap House. The State vs. Radric Davis, his second official album, was released in December 2009 following a dizzying array of mixtapes. The Appeal: Georgia's Most Wanted followed in 2010 with guest shots from Estelle, Nicki Minaj, and Wyclef. Featuring the single "Mouth Full of Gold" with special guest Birdman, the "street album" The Return of Mr. Zone 6 followed in 2011, along with 1017 Bricksquad Presents...Ferrari Boyz, a collaborative album with Waka Flocka Flame

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/27/arts/music/27play.html
Z-Ro

This bluesy Houston hip-hop star must be one of America’s most underrated rappers. Since the late 1990s, Z-Ro has been releasing brilliant albums and mixtapes at an impossible pace, often more than one a year. In November he released one of the best yet, “I’m Still Livin,” a surprisingly coherent collection of melancholy protest songs and gospel-inspired rants. He couldn’t do much to promote it, though: he was in prison, where he is to remain until July, serving a sentence for possession of a controlled substance. Nevertheless, he’s back, sort of, with an unwieldy new billing (“Tha Authentic KOTG: King of tha Ghetto”) and a scattershot new CD, “Power” (Rap-A-Lot). The weak beats and throwaway hooks suggest that this is an album of outtakes, but true-blue fans will discover a handful of strong performances, including “Ride All Day,” in which Z-Ro’s rhyme style changes every few lines. As for everyone else: “I’m Still Livin” is barely six months old, and it sounds better than ever.

Comments

• dzlife
    dzlife Members Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    Options
    dj screw put him on
  • southernmade
    southernmade Members Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    he's not underrated....just never cared for mainstream exposure, that's why he never switches it up.....he's content on doing what's he's been doing.....I respect that
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Dang man Ima go buy 10 Z-Ro cds now cuz The King of The South Gucci Mayne has spoken!
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Z RO overrated to me. His style is so mainstream with all of the singing and harmonizing. He is no different than Ja Rule or Nelly or Bone Thugs he just never made it on the mainstream level. Just because you never made it mainstream does not mean you kept it real or are harder, more authentic any of that. Playa Fly is raw and underrated. Z RO style is made for the mainstream but people love him because he is there underground artist with a mainstream style. sing, sing, sing, Z-RO.
  • FoolTime
    FoolTime Members Posts: 1,311 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    GSonII wrote: »
    Z RO overrated to me. His style is so mainstream with all of the singing and harmonizing. He is no different than Ja Rule or Nelly or Bone Thugs he just never made it on the mainstream level. Just because you never made it mainstream does not mean you kept it real or are harder, more authentic any of that. Playa Fly is raw and underrated. Z RO style is made for the mainstream but people love him because he is there underground artist with a mainstream style. sing, sing, sing, Z-RO.

You just conflated Z-Ro and Bone with Ja Rule and Nelly.

Your hip hop card has been revoked
  • Ear2DaSt
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Z-Ro done took influences from several artist he subject matter can be about being misreable and all the pain sometimes I wanna tell him be a man and deal with this sh_t
    I rather listen to Trae!
    Don't forget he had good teachers in K-Rino and South Park Coalition plenty of examples of Original real mcs including Pharoah of Street Military who he learned how to make his rynes click from!
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options

dumbest ? i heard today........
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Z-ro is cool, I can't say underrated cause his fans are always biggin him up, but I can say underknown
  • Ear2DaSt
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Yeah u made your opinion look non legit when u said hes no different then Ja Rule poor Z-ro what an insult!
  • GSonII
    edited August 2011
    Options
    sionb55 wrote: »
    I've been saying this for years. Zro can spit on any track, hes versatile, NO ONE got a chorus game or a flow like him, hes consistently put out dope mixtapes/albums, he works hard, his subject matter is solid and he's as real as they come. The thing is, I think he needs more collabos with other artists who are out there like that. Like maybe Tip or Wayne but on an actual album. But I think them ? lack the creativity to come up with something where they can properly utilize a Zro hook or rhyme. I think his only problem is that the music he makes isnt for the 14-16 year olds that Wayne & T.I. are trying to target and A&Rs don't know how to deal with that and the fact that Zro is the type of ? who does what ever he wants musically. Zro makes music for an older demographic & right now there isn't really a market for that audience like that yet.... maybe in 5 or so years from now.

& yes he does care for the mainstream he just said that they aint interested in the type of artist he is but he would like that 106 spot & that billboard hit

- if u got 30 minutes to spare he says it in this interview w/ Ozone magazine
    Great interview btw.....

So, they lack the creativity but he is the one in need? Why are they not in need of that type of exposure if they are the ones lacking? Lacking means not to have, it seams he is the one lacking.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I respect any cat doing his thing, but I tried listenening to Z-Ro, just could'nt get into him though
  • FoolTime
    FoolTime Members Posts: 1,311 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    So, they lack the creativity but he is the one in need? Why are they not in need of that type of exposure if they are the ones lacking? Lacking means not to have, it seams he is the one lacking.

I'm gonna ignore from here on because your logic lacks critical thinking skills. You aint hip hop at all...hoe ass ?
  • Ear2DaSt
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Z-Ro got a good head on his shoulders I feel bad so many rappers get cuaght up on drug use Im glad hes slowing down trying to quit!
    Don't care to see him rap with Slim Thug but its all business!
  • southernmade
    southernmade Members Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options

Yea by this statement I can tell you have never heard a complete album from Ro lol.....comparing Ro to Ja and nelly just because he harmonizes? Lmfao, right on bro....His style and subject matter is anything but mainstream.....i might give you a song that can be played on the radio here and there......
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    gsonii is the dumbest ? posting
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options

So people that can sing automatically have a mainstream style? Z-Ro"s singing > Ja Rule's singing by far. ? ass.
  • Ear2DaSt
    edited August 2011
    Options
    In my opinion theres more then a few rappers that rap on Ro's level like I said he allready stated that K-Rino,Street Military & South Park Coalition are influences on his music but to say hes lke Ja Rule is just a huge insult that I don't agree with!
  • birdcallaveli
    birdcallaveli Members Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    gucci knows what hes saying
  • TimroD
    TimroD Confirm Email Posts: 1,685 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    So people that can sing automatically have a mainstream style? Z-Ro"s singing > Ja Rule's singing by far. ? ass.

jarules first album is imo better than all zro tracks ive heard thus far
  • Ear2DaSt
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Gucci's words don't mean much to me!
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    co sing this thread we used to jam RO hard out here from like 2003-2008 but he done kinda dumbed down a bit which isnt bad just lets me know his life aint as depressing as it once was which is always a good thing
  • GSonII
    edited August 2011
    Options

Full of soul and meaning from a singy rapper that sold about $10 million records that people don't want to give any credit. A hit also included for the ? . I'll take that over someone who has a bunch of groupies that are in love with him because he claims some gang and claims to be for the ghetto.
  • Aristo_V300
    Aristo_V300 Members Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Both them ? stay in jail tho.
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    i been into zro music since 03 and he aint underrated he just not mainstream.....from what i hear dude is like a ? in texas lol........and he's talked about more than yall think especially for a UG artist.........
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    So ya telling me that comparing Ja rule to Z-ro is a bad thing.....SMH....Ja is a nice MC dont sleep on jeffrey.