Who's Today's Hip-Hop's 3 Masters Emcee, Rap Superstar and Underground King

Options
waterproof
waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in The Reason
KOOL MOE DEE again kicked some knowledge on how hip-hop always had 3 MASTER EMCEE, a Rap Superstar and Underground King. And sometimes that Rap Superstar ends up battling one of the Master emcee's.

Like when LL Cool J battled Kool Moe Dee and Biggie Smalls and 2pac, even The Master emcee's battle each other as in Nas and Jay-Z

This part of the interview go into details and a dope read for the Hip-hop head, so tell me who you think is todays 3 MASTER, RAP SUPERSTAR AND UNDERGROUND KING.

Comments

• waterproof
    edited October 2011
    Options
    KMD : The blood line is Me , Mel & Caz - the trinity , then KRS One , Rakim & Kane then Biggie , Nas & Jay Z. Even further you can go Caz - Kane - Jay Z .....they all had street flavor ; then Mel - KRS - Biggie...they had the social thing (even Biggie with the story telling was social) , then the cerebral side was myself - Rakim - Nas . Then you have more levels - theres always 3 masters , a superstar & an underground . So for our era the super star was Kurtis Blow - me , Mel & Caz were the masters and Spoonie Gee was underground . The next tier is Rakim , Kane & KRS as the masters and LL Cool J is the superstar - the underground is T La Rock . Biggie, Nas and Jay Z are the masters - Tupac is the star ; and its funny because sometimes the superstar gets into a battle with the Emcee . I always said that Tupac was the bigger Emcee because of his stardom and diversity , but Biggie was the more pure Emcee. Also in Rakims era was Kool G Rap .

This is from a Jay Quan Interview
  • deeroc22
    deeroc22 Members Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Interesting..........
  • waterproof
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Now im not a hater, i give respect when respect due. Even though i dont rank Marshall and Jay-Z in my top 10 but as for right now in hip-hop.

THE THREE MASTER EMCEE = NAS, JAY-Z & MARSHALL

THE RAP SUPERSTAR = LIL'WAYNE (IT WAS A CLOSE ONE BETWEEN LIL'WAYNE AND KANYE WEST)

UNDERGROUND KING = MOS DEF (most def is straight emcee, one of the illest ever to do it, who even have Jay-z and Lil wayne to bow down and not accept his challenge to battle)
  • deeroc22
    deeroc22 Members Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »
    Now im not a hater, i give respect when respect due. Even though i dont rank Marshall and Jay-Z in my top 10 but as for right now in hip-hop.

THE RAP SUPERSTAR = LIL'WAYNE (IT WAS A CLOSE ONE BETWEEN LIL'WAYNE AND KANYE WEST)

UNDERGROUND KING = MOS DEF (most def is straight emcee, one of the illest ever to do it, who even have Jay-z and Lil wayne to bow down and not accept his challenge to battle)

i could live with that list...altho someones gonna want to argue about it
  • supaman4321
    supaman4321 Members Posts: 946
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I would love to crown Mos as the underground king but when's the last time i put out material? the ecstatic was dope but don't you have to put out more to be considered the king of the underground. I nominate Banks dude has been consistently killing the mixtape scene and his last album was respectable
  • waterproof
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I would love to crown Mos as the underground king but when's the last time i put out material? the ecstatic was dope but don't you have to put out more to be considered the king of the underground. I nominate Banks dude has been consistently killing the mixtape scene and his last album was respectable

Underground emcee reaches all levels and different spectrum of the underground, Mos got fans from the backpack committee ? , the spoken words/incense ? , the college radio boom bap ? , the gimey street corner cipher ? . Mos is the Underground emcee that get loves and hold it down.

But Banks is that next ? , if he embrace that underground king and i will serve yall mainstream ? more, Banks will go down in history as that ?
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options

Solid post, but in 2011 Jay and Marshall ain't up there anymore imo. However, given the definition and the level of platform, it's hard to find replacements. I would put two of these guys in their place ... Common, Lupe (I know Lasers was terrible), Andre 3K, Kanye, Ludacris, TI etc.

The superstar is definitely Wayne, no competition.

Mos Def is a good pick for underground, but I would also put Black Thought, Rae, and Ghost's name in there. Maybe even Canibus for people who's into his style of emceeing. Also, they're all far more active than Mos.
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    joe budden for underground king.....
    let the hate begin
  • waterproof
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Solid post, but in 2011 Jay and Marshall ain't up there anymore imo. However, give the definition and the level of platform, it's hard to find replacements. I would put two of these guys in their place ... Common, Lupe (I know Lasers was terrible), Andre 3K, Kanye, Ludacris, TI etc.

The superstar is definitely Wayne, no competition.

Mos Def is a good pick for underground, but I would also put Black Thought, Rae, and Ghost's name in there. Maybe even Canibus for people who's into his style of emceeing. Also, they're all far more active than Mos.

A great Post, Lupe is a master emcee he have the underground, middle ground and mainstream respect as one of the best in all three levels, that have the stats and hardware.

But do Common brings it still that's the question i have, Common aint ripped ? since Chi-City on BE.

Black Thought, Rae and Ghost also have the hearts of the underground
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Master MC=Jay, Kanye, Em
    Rap superstar=Wayne
    Underground King is kinda hard to say cuz its alot of dope underground rappers like Budden, Crooked, Royce, etc...
    lmao at Rae and Ghost having the underground
  • NothingButTheTruth
    edited October 2011
    Options
    A great Post, Lupe is a master emcee he have the underground, middle ground and mainstream respect as one of the best in all three levels, that have the stats and hardware.

But do Common brings it still that's the question i have, Common aint ripped ? since Chi-City on BE.

Black Thought, Rae and Ghost also have the hearts of the underground

I think his new ? is dope, especially in comparison.
  • waterproof
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Master MC=Jay, Kanye, Em
    Rap superstar=Wayne
    Underground King is kinda hard to say cuz its alot of dope underground rappers like Budden, Crooked, Royce, etc...
    lmao at Rae and Ghost having the underground

Rae always had the love in the underground, he was underground Crowned NY King of New York when he dropped OB4CL, and Ghostface is that ?
  • NothingButTheTruth
    edited October 2011
    Options
    The blue sky joint is pretty good, besides all that yelling on the hook.
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Rae always had the love in the underground, he was underground Crowned NY King of New York when he dropped OB4CL, and Ghostface is that ?

dont ? woth Who Tang ?
    they overrated and one of them ? up a Kanye Song
    being crowned king of Ny underground aint ?
    especially now days when Ny is the underground
  • Undergroundraplegend
    Undergroundraplegend Members Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No one here in this decade I think
  • Undergroundraplegend
    Undergroundraplegend Members Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Danm I bumped a near 2 year old thread I didnt see it was made in 11
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For me, I would either choose MF DOOM or Phonte for the underground king spot