Options
13»

Comments

• fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Huruma wrote: »
    We're still ? with metaphysical naturalism out here, right? There's no 'decision making' center of the brain, neurons simply respond to internal and external stimuli. Nobody can be blamed for anything since nobody chooses to behave the way that they do.
    Simply because their decision is a product of inherent/environmental factors doesn't mean a decision is not made. And once a decision is made, others can decide to critique the decision which was made. If the decision made is critiqued as a "poor decision", then the thing/person making the decision is at fault; and therefore, worthy of blame.
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    Simply because their decision is a product of inherent/environmental factors doesn't mean a decision is not made. And once a decision is made, others can decide to critique the decision which was made. If the decision made is critiqued as a "poor decision", then the thing/person making the decision is at fault; and therefore, worthy of blame.

Brains don't make 'decisions' anymore than laptops do. 'Decision' implies that conscious rationalization lead to the preference of one alternative over another. Neuroscience has shown for decades that brains make 'decisions' seconds before they become consciously aware of them and at any given moment, any physical entity is only capable of whatever behavior environmental stimuli necessitates. A rock thrown from a window doesn't choose to fall anymore than brains choose to think, the only difference between the two is that brains are capable of conscious experience but conscious experience itself is caused by unconscious activity, consciousness is something brains do, not an innate property they have.

You can critique decisions to discourage people from making those decisions, you cannot blame people for making the decisions they make anymore than you can blame a car for breaking down.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Brains don't make 'decisions' anymore than laptops do. 'Decision' implies that conscious rationalization lead to the preference of one alternative over another. Neuroscience has shown for decades that brains make 'decisions' seconds before they become consciously aware of them and at any given moment, any physical entity is only capable of whatever behavior environmental stimuli necessitates. A rock thrown from a window doesn't choose to fall anymore than brains choose to think, the only difference between the two is that brains are capable of conscious experience but conscious experience itself is caused by unconscious activity, consciousness is something brains do, not an innate property they have.

You can critique decisions to discourage people from making those decisions, you cannot blame people for making the decisions they make anymore than you can blame a car for breaking down.

? ......
  • StillFaggyAF
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    free will doesn't exist

Right now i'm decided to call you a "? ". But I didn't choose to say that right?
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Brains don't make 'decisions' anymore than laptops do...
    Sure laptops can make decisions.

If I design a circuit on the laptop's motherboard to shut off the laptop when one of the measured components reaches a temperature above 105°C; based on those inherent/environmental factors, the laptop will decide to shut down if one of its components' temperatures is greater than 105°C.

When I use the word "decide", I'm referring to this:
    b : to select as a course of action —used with an infinitive <decided to go>

Whether it's known as "automated decision making", "multi-way selection", or simply "human choice"; they still a form of decision making.
  • j.dini
    j.dini Members Posts: 4
    edited December 2011
    Options
    fat people da woat
  • StillFaggyAF
    edited December 2011
    Options
    what are you though?
    you are a mix of your experience, genetics, state of mind.
    each is programmed to do certain things in certain environments, just as a ball of a certain weight, shape, size, and density thrown at a particular wall that is a certain weight, shape, size and density will bounce accordingly, you react as you're programmed to in the various situations you go through in life.

Everything is a mechanism. Why do people think humans are exempt from the laws of the universe?

So the "universe" made me type this?
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Fat people just need DISCIPLINE

i dont believe this whole "ohhh i cant help eating burgers for breakfast" ?
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    This fat problem is only going to get worse. We complain about fat people, but tolerate fat lifestyles and habits.

Like all these women running around not cooking...dudes just up and accept that ? without question. Eating ? all day, just up and accept it

We equate physical beauty with health...even if ur girl, or potential girl, looks good or is in shape she shouldnt be eating ? . We wait till it becomes an eyesore for it to become an issue

Regardless of if ya broad is 500 pounds or 110, her ass needs to put the fast food down. Whether 500 or 110, her ass needs to be working out. EVERYONE DOES

Women need to get on their dudes too....all the above applied there too

we allowed this to get out of hand by way of our lack of standards...

If mofos are serious, get ur broads back in the kitchen, and call out ? . Im 24...at this age, it seems like everyone has children...if a broad has kids but she eats nothing but fast food, call that ? out. She should have home cooked food on G.P....now her kids are gonna be fat too, and ur ass laying up w/ her tolerating that ?

its a cycle
  • longmeat
    longmeat Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Your personality dictated so.
    Your personality controls you, you do not control it.

get off the pipe breh
  • FatterThanKat
    FatterThanKat Members Posts: 677
    Options
    what are you though?
    each is programmed to do certain things in certain environments, just as a ball of a certain weight, shape, size, and density thrown at a particular wall that is a certain weight, shape, size and density will bounce accordingly, you react as you're programmed to in the various situations you go through in life.

Everything is a mechanism. Why do people think humans are exempt from the laws of the universe?

Do you believe in cause and effect? If so then you can not believe in free will.

There is no rational explanation for where free will could come from or how it can be facilitated.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what are you though?

Do you believe in cause and effect? If so then you can not believe in free will.

There is no rational explanation for where free will could come from or how it can be facilitated.

Poeple tend to go all that psychological/metaphysical when it comes to the fat people thematic.

Imo no need to go this far. If you have a lazy lifestyle, you ll get fat or worse ,obese. Yeah depression and stress cause fatening. Nevertheless the people who have fallen into that category are the fastest to change.

The western culture is a fattening one . Yet nobody wants to take responsibilities. Worse we tend to NORMALIZE being fat by using the word deceiving technique : phat, thick, strong.

• OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Every time I ask Charlie for nudes she tells me she's fat. I'm like ? I ain't ask you all that
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i'm one of those fat people who don't like other fat people because i'm trying to do something about mine. I used to be slim and of muscular build over 10 yrs ago but gained weight from stress and depression. I was in the social security office last week and I noticed that there were so many over weight people there. it's so many fat women in the hood also. i'm like damn theres a gym up the street at least walk around the block or put that chicken leg down dammit and eat some lettuce! I suffer from self fatred I quess *shrugs*
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options