Options
2»

Comments

• rockets
    rockets Members Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    i just found this on madamenoire.com

I had to post this cause I think the writer has some good points. what yall think?

Did the Spanking Video Gone Viral Lead to this Teen’s Death?

December 14th, 2011 - By Veronica Wells

At the beginning of the year, a video of an uncle spanking his nephew for his gang involvement went viral on the internet. But just last week, the teen in the video, Michael Taylor, the recipient of his uncle’s lashes was found dead, not far from the apartment complex where he lived in with his mother.

The Times-Picayune reported that Taylor, 16, was found dead at 8:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 7.

Michael’s mom, Kimberly Ward, told the newspaper that Michael received a text message from one of his friends and stepped outside the house at around 8 p.m. to talk.

Ward, concerned that her son was outside too long, called him back inside. Michael told her he was just talking and stepped back outside. Later, Ward’s daughter received a text message saying that her brother had been shot and then another saying that he was dead.

The Times-Picayune:

Ward said she rushed from the house, driving around the neighborhood looking for her son, but didn’t find him until she was coming back to her apartment complex. That’s when she saw his body on the cold sidewalk clad in the red sweatshirt she’d noticed when he left the house.

“I came home and saw my son on the ground,” Ward said.

The Picayune reported that Ward was trying to figure out where she went wrong in raising her child.

Losing a son at 16 is an unfathomably devastating loss. She said that her son was “guilty by association” because of his involvement with gang members. Naturally, we didn’t know Michael’s life or what factors contributed to his death; but, I’m inclined to think the video of his uncle spanking him may have had something to do it.

When that video hit the web, people applauded his uncle, claiming that Michael needed that physical intervention. I understood the sentiment behind the uncle’s actions. He was trying to save his nephew’s life. Scare him straight.

But Stacey Patton, founder of the web site SparetheKids.com told Black America Web that after that video, she’s not surprised that Michael’s life ended violently.

When I saw the video, I kept thinking that by beating this youth, the uncle was setting him up for some kind of tragedy, either prison or an early grave.

I, too felt like Michael’s uncle was setting him up but not because of the spanking itself. Many of us have caught a spanking, beating or whooping or two in our lives and it didn’t cause us to turn to violence. The difference between us and Michael though, is the fact that his spanking was broadcast for the whole world to see.

If you’ve ever experienced corporal punishment at the hand of a parent, you know that there is a feeling of embarrassment afterward. Sometimes it’s because you recognize that you’ve acted a fool; but most of the time, it’s because being hit, by anyone, especially someone you can’t hit back, is a very…humbling experience, an experience that should remain private.

When I first saw the video I thought, ‘ok, you’re trying to teach your nephew a lesson but what is the point of uploading such a humiliating video onto the internet? Are you the one trying to be seen?’

You remember how hard it was being a teenager, how image was everything, how we spent excessive time and energy trying to appear cool. What do you think a video of you getting your behind tore up would do for your image?

Now, consider the fact that Michael was a young, black male already involved with gangs! For the better part of this year he was defined by a video so detrimental to his image and self confidence. If anything this downright embarrassing video probably propelled him even deeper into a life of crime, trying to prove his strength and street credibility.

WTF was his uncle thinking about?

With new technological advances comes greater responsibility. If you want or need to discipline your child or your family member, fine. But keep that in your house. We strangers don’t need to be a part of that. I can’t help but think that Michael’s uncle was trying to get a little shine from this whole incident. Clearly, this is not the way to do it. Becoming a You Tube/ World Star Hip Hop sensation is cool, but at what cost?
  • Silverfoxxx
    Silverfoxxx Members Posts: 1,066
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Wooooow. I remember laughing at that video. And the crazy thing is, I never knew the dude was from NO, and he actually stayed like 3 miles away from me. Small world, but the sad thing is in NO, its common to see these young ? getting involved or wanna be down with the wrong crowd. Prayers to his fam. Never thought this dude actually stayed by my hood.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    in the Uncle's case.. damned if u do.. damned if u dont..

but w/ like ol boy cuttin off lil homie's eye lids.. WHY PUT THIS ? ON CAMERA AND ON THE NET!!?!?
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    rockets wrote: »
    i just found this on madamenoire.com

I had to post this cause I think the writer has some good points. what yall think?

Did the Spanking Video Gone Viral Lead to this Teen’s Death?

nothing in that article was noteworthy or made sense

the only ppl blaming the uncle are ppl that never were about that life

so now nobody in here is affiliated??? smh stop it
  • Smo-King Locs
    Smo-King Locs Banned Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Man I got my ass whup religiously and im still here. Bottomline Parents let kids get away to much then when you try to step in it's to late. You got to start off on them early. My mama stayed on my ass making sure me and brother wasn't going to fall victim to the streets like my uncles and cousins.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    The Jamel wrote: »
    all you ? ? crying about ass beating can go to hell.

It aint the ass whoopin that got the boy killed.
    it's the fact that the boy aint learn ? from said ass whoopin.
    Obviously the uncle got ahold of him too late in the game. but at least the uncle was trying to prevent the ? from happening.

His mother told him to get back in the house, he aint listen.
    the boy was hard headed and thought he knew every damn thing.
    now all he is, is a great example to show kids that want to act like him, while whooping their ? .

don't ya'll dare pass the damn buck to the uncle. cause the boy was old enough to go into the military and start a new story for himself... but he wanted to be a thug.

you ? gotta come up off this "ass whoopings dont work" ? , for real.
    ass whoopings do work and they resemble the harder punishments in life.
    Everytime you wanna get stupid, you remember an asswhooping.

you ? is soft and expect everything to be given to you, no child left behind, has left ya'll looking dumb and spoiled.

how colleges setting the curve at 78? you all are being given way too damn much with out earning it.

*round of applause*
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    all you ? ? crying about ass beating can go to hell.

It aint the ass whoopin that got the boy killed.
    it's the fact that the boy aint learn ? from said ass whoopin.
    Obviously the uncle got ahold of him too late in the game. but at least the uncle was trying to prevent the ? from happening.

His mother told him to get back in the house, he aint listen.
    the boy was hard headed and thought he knew every damn thing.
    now all he is, is a great example to show kids that want to act like him, while whooping their ? .

don't ya'll dare pass the damn buck to the uncle. cause the boy was old enough to go into the military and start a new story for himself... but he wanted to be a thug.

you ? gotta come up off this "ass whoopings dont work" ? , for real.
    ass whoopings do work and they resemble the harder punishments in life.
    Everytime you wanna get stupid, you remember an asswhooping.

you ? is soft and expect everything to be given to you, no child left behind, has left ya'll looking dumb and spoiled.

how colleges setting the curve at 78? you all are being given way too damn much with out earning it.

My ? .. and no zombie takeover..

Son im dissappoint
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    tru_m.a.c wrote: »
    1. so my dude got a text from a friend at 8 to go outside and talk
    2. she went to get him back...he said hold on...went back outside
    3. he disappears with said friends (whose names are either not known or withheld from this article)
    4. his sister gets a text message that he's dead??? my ? who gets text messages about their sibling being killed??? WHO SENDS TEXT MESSAGES AFTER SHOTS RING OUT
    5. she drives around the neighborhood looking for her son.....so the ? that texted your daughter never told you where he got shot at??? *facepalm*
    6. her son was shot on a sidewalk, never in a car...so where are the ? he was hanging out with??? he's the only victim in this shooting??? nobody else was targeted??? ya son got set up.....ask the text message sending ?

Yep thats exactly wat it looks like
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    This is so unfortunate. I have reported my fair share of ? with videos beating their kids on worldstar, namely the guy who shaved that baby's eyebrows. But this was one of the few videos where that ass whooping was so justified, sincere, and earnest, I could not help but agree with it and Im normally against spanking of any kind. So sad. Seems like the uncle really tried to steer him right
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    The nerve of you ? actually fixing yo mouth to say this was a result of the spanking video
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    ? i thought about it for a second... but then my message would have been lost...

white folks done got ? thinking that they don't need asswhippings... ? that, yes we do, cause with that pain comes the knowledge of knowing that "i remember when my momma whooped my ass for stealing candy, maybe i shouldnt rob this liquor store"
    sure there are some ? that will go over board with the spanks and ? , but that's what the police is for.

the problem is alot of mufuckas dont know the line between beating ur kid and abuse.
  • ibedamned
    ibedamned Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    ? the dude in the article for basically blaming his uncle for gettin him killed
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Mystikal's verse in this track reminded me of the article so much i had to post in in here
  • Bwoahmizzee
    Bwoahmizzee Members Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    nobody needs to be dyin at 16

life aint even really start yet

? is ? up out here and it happens too often
  • 1EarthMother_Queen
    1EarthMother_Queen Members Posts: 1
    Options
    tru_m.a.c wrote: »
    rockets wrote: »
    he night of the shooting, she said, Taylor received a text message from a friend at about 8 p.m. and went outside to chat.

"She said she called him back inside a few minutes later to find out what was going on, and he told her he was just talking and went back outside. A few minutes later, her daughter received a text message saying that Taylor had been shot, and then another saying he was dead," the newspaper reported.

"Ward said she rushed from the house, driving around the neighborhood looking for her son, but didn't find him until she was coming back to her apartment complex. That's when she saw his body on the cold sidewalk, clad in the red sweatshirt she'd noticed when he left the house.

"I came home and saw my son on the ground," Ward said.

1. so my dude got a text from a friend at 8 to go outside and talk
    2. she went to get him back...he said hold on...went back outside
    3. he disappears with said friends (whose names are either not known or withheld from this article)
    4. his sister gets a text message that he's dead??? my ? who gets text messages about their sibling being killed??? WHO SENDS TEXT MESSAGES AFTER SHOTS RING OUT
    5. she drives around the neighborhood looking for her son.....so the ? that texted your daughter never told you where he got shot at??? *facepalm*
    6. her son was shot on a sidewalk, never in a car...so where are the ? he was hanging out with??? he's the only victim in this shooting??? nobody else was targeted??? ya son got set up.....ask the text message sending ?

He was most likely setup by some fools he thought was his friends for talking about being in a gang on Facebook most gangs get mad when you lie about ? like that. Who ever sent the texts are the ones who killed the kid.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This was mad random
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    @ post above the one over mine.

Why!?
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J-GUTTA wrote: »
    No way that video got him killed. It's New Orleans the price of life is cheap out there from what I hear. Do they still have that 30 day law too?

Yup.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • edwardnigma
    edwardnigma Members Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Parents are people too

If you are a Parent and you love in a gang warzone

Its not simply your childs fault for being influenced

How much money you are making your education and how many kids you have and how many are in the home,Will be the greatest influence on your child

Thats why I like that one of the first things @Kai said was move.

They havent provided him with a good enpugh support system,not to mention in his most vulnerable times adolescents he was in a warzone

If you cant leave your sidewalk @ 16, maybe 140-165 pounds, 5'7 to 6ft tall then that is a huuuuge problem.

Thats not freedom