Why are the vast majority of all hip-hop haters centralized on the east coast??????

Options

Comments

• tupacfan35
    tupacfan35 Members Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Big's death was a nucular bomb to the Eastcoast. Lucily, Jay, DMX and NaS was right there to pick up the pieces. Pun had a nice 1 album run. The Lox came up. Then Dipset and 50 Cent and Gunit. Not to mention Big himself as his cut and paste album continued to sell after his death. Big's Crew, Lil Kim had a run herself. Bad Boy still had some platinum albums after Big died. Ja Rule and Irv came up. The Eastcoast Dynasty is one of the biggest in Rap History.

It all came crashing down when big l got killed and big pun died of heart disease and other problems.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited November 2010
    Options
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    Fazeem_Blackall Members Posts: 4,216 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    let the debate continue...
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    Fazeem_Blackall Members Posts: 4,216 ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    let the debate continue...
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    lets not.......
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    New York is comfortable with rappers with zero work ethic and arrogance. New York doesn't even support its own artist yet it complains that folks like Wacka Flocka is popular and gets fans. New York was like any other coast they had diverse music. ATCQ De La Soul werer pioneers but they weren't the only rappers using boom bap rappers from every coast did it. They were special but to put them on a ridiculous pedestal only leads to stagnation since everybody is looking back at the past and not looking forward to the future. You don't drive your car looking back why should you drive your career looking back. New York is the originator of the whole imma get this money and sell out. Wu-wear,Roca-wear,Wu video games, Def Jam Video Games, Liquor deals ,Run DMC Adidas,Jay Z Reebok ATCQ Sprite De La Soul Nike SB Dunk, Ruff Ryder clothing Nas Fila. You all complain about commercializing and selling out yet your most prominent and critically acclaimed rappers and leaders are the ones who pioneered the commercialization hell they wanted. New Yorkers love to say they hustlers and they are go getters. Well your ruthless quest for money and fame led to destruction of OUR culture. You all brought hip hop into this world and you all killed it. All coast should be held accountable for harming the hip hop culture but you played a larger role than most. How do you all create something and then destroy it your record labels created the demand for the pop catchy songs. Def Jam is not from Atlanta and Bad Boy Records is not from New Orleans .You all created the shiny suits the big chains, the fancy cars, the all louis vuitton this rappers. To blame the current state of hip hop on any other coast is ridiculous. You all set hip hop down this path a long time ago. Be a Father to your child. Wacka Flocka has more in common with DMX and Onyx than he does with Cee Lo or Big Boi.

Jesus christ....especially with the work ethic of those old heads are especially true.

But We live in a regionalless era now where quality music is coming back in the mainstream. Regionalism is dead, but it's for the best cause the next generation of MCs will hold it down.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Throwback still relevant today sadly...
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Ny being the home of hip hop has the right to critique.And no as a whole nobody does hip hop collectively better than NYC.

Nyc is easily the most prideful city in the US.

Yeah there are straight up haters,but then you have ppl genuinely concerned about where hip hop is going.

Hip hop is a shell of it's former self.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who is hating really though?I lived in NYC last yr and they play the south ? in the hood.I heard a lot of southern music in the streets there.Lots of rich homie,yung thug,and wayne.

If you mean older dudes it's not just Ny,there are dudes from all over the country who came up on traditional hip hop who don't like where hip hop went.

Let's be real,when we talk about sales and mainstream we are talking about middle America and white ppl.

Once you reach a certain level of sales you have left the urban market.In the 90's going over double/triple platinum was leaving the urban market.

The ability to sale to white ppl,should never control who we respect in hip hop.

Ironically white ppl support traditional hip hop more than black ppl now.A paradox in itself

• Soloman_The_Wise
    edited August 2016
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »
    Who is hating really though?I lived in NYC last yr and they play the south ? in the hood.I heard a lot of southern music in the streets there.Lots of rich homie,yung thug,and wayne.

If you mean older dudes it's not just Ny,there are dudes from all over the country who came up on traditional hip hop who don't like where hip hop went.

Let's be real,when we talk about sales and mainstream we are talking about middle America and white ppl.

Once you reach a certain level of sales you have left the urban market.In the 90's going over double/triple platinum was leaving the urban market.

The ability to sale to white ppl,should never control who we respect in hip hop.

Ironically white ppl support traditional hip hop more than black ppl now.A paradox in itself

In the real world I agree with you Fam but I think the word play of the thread title is missing you, on this all hip hop website where are the majority of haters from???
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why are we upping random region hate threads
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh at this old ass thread popping back up. But yeah east coast dudes stay hating.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Options
    BobOblah wrote: »
    Why are we upping random region hate threads
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    Smh at this old ass thread popping back up. But yeah east coast dudes stay hating.

Why create a new thread on the subject when one already exists???
  • hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »

I once saw someone call Scarface a hating ass New Yorker because he was wearing a Yankee hat why critiquing Hip Hop. People also act like NY doesn't critique it's own or boo NY acts. Who ended the Bad Boy shinny suit run? It wasn't The West or the South or Mid West.

Why Cube wasn't called a hater for hating on party music which NY had tons of back then? Is it only hate when it's from a New Yorker?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACVv8fKl5Gc&lc=z13oyf3zfkfrtr5uf22medfzfz2iulg3w:

No-limit VAULT 706213 9 months ago:
    Back when the source awards had that NY crowd...wasn't showing the south no love smh

KeepItReal 3 months ago:
    +No-limit VAULT 706213 I know people want to blame NY for everything but the show was in California. O ? . "L" for you and everyone who thump up your comment.

^^Can't make this ? up.
  • reverend_al
    reverend_al Members Posts: 173 ✭✭
    Options
    wut it comes down to is little tolerance for Whack... when I began to listen rap beginning in 83'
    what did rappers talk about? how much better their skills where than the next man, fact!
    every song was about the next man biting their style, sucker mc's , whack mc's, beating other lame mc's at battles, etc

in the 90s when rap was going to other regions, we gave props to Ice T , Ice Cube, etc
    but when E40 dropped "Sprinkle me" , (it was too much go peep that song), people here gonna call it as they see it, and say its whack and people misconstrued that for "hating".

even today I saw a video on Youtube bloods and crips "banging on wax".. I thought these dudes was whack as ? , is that hating just for having an opinion?
  • skpjr78
    edited September 2016
    Options
    wut it comes down to is little tolerance for Whack... when I began to listen rap beginning in 83'
    what did rappers talk about? how much better their skills where than the next man, fact!
    every song was about the next man biting their style, sucker mc's , whack mc's, beating other lame mc's at battles, etc

in the 90s when rap was going to other regions, we gave props to Ice T , Ice Cube, etc
    but when E40 dropped "Sprinkle me" , (it was too much go peep that song), people here gonna call it as they see it, and say its whack and people misconstrued that for "hating".

even today I saw a video on Youtube bloods and crips "banging on wax".. I thought these dudes was whack as ? , is that hating just for having an opinion?

Lithgow2.gif

East coast dudes hated Ice Cube. Even after the Bomb Squad produced his first album which was a ? CLASSIC east coast dudes were still hating. Cube was a "bama" and a "jheri curl" rapper to yall. Even with PE at their peak and Cube using their production team he still couldn't get love in NYC. How often did you see a Cube video or a non east coast artist on Rap City back then? Not very.

Miss me with the revisionist history ? . Some of us were actually around during that era and still remember what happened back then. Tell that ? to the millennials who dont know any better. Real dudes from the 90s know how it really went down.

And btw "Sprinkle Me" and the entire In A Major Way album was a classic everywhere outside of NYC.
  • Midwest_Journalist
    Midwest_Journalist Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options

Lithgow2.gif

East coast dudes hated Ice Cube. Even after the Bomb Squad produced his first album which was a ? CLASSIC east coast dudes were still hating. Cube was a "bama" and a jheri curl rapper to them. Even with PE at their peak and Cube using their production team he still couldn't get love in NYC. How often did you see a Cube video or a non east coast artist on Rap City back then? Not very.

Miss me with the revisionist history ? . Some of us were actually around during that era and still remember what happened back then. Tell that ? to the millennials who dont know any better. Real dudes from the 90s know what really happened.

And btw "Sprinkle Me" and the entire In A Major Way album was a classic everywhere outside of NYC.

I never understood why New York cats would consider someone from LA, the second largest city in the country, a "Bama." LOL.

I remember in college a Brooklyn, NY dude complaining about his "Bama-ass" roommate and the dude was from the Southside of Chicago !!!!!!!!
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lithgow2.gif

East coast dudes hated Ice Cube. Even after the Bomb Squad produced his first album which was a ? CLASSIC east coast dudes were still hating. Cube was a "bama" and a jheri curl rapper to them. Even with PE at their peak and Cube using their production team he still couldn't get love in NYC. How often did you see a Cube video or a non east coast artist on Rap City back then? Not very.

Miss me with the revisionist history ? . Some of us were actually around during that era and still remember what happened back then. Tell that ? to the millennials who dont know any better. Real dudes from the 90s know what really happened.

I never understood why New York cats would consider someone from LA, the second largest city in the country, a "Bama." LOL.

I remember in college a Brooklyn, NY dude complaining about his "Bama-ass" roommate and the dude was from the Southside of Chicago !!!!!!!!

Lol Too be fair Chicago ? sound really country
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Is the dislike for NY by some posters from other regions of the country considered hating?
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Midwest_Journalist
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »

Lithgow2.gif

Lol Too be fair Chicago ? sound really country

A lot of Chicago people have roots from Mississippi and a few other Southern states, so that's where it probably comes from - LOL!

But a lot of New York dudes got some funny sounding accents too.
  • Midwest_Journalist
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Is the dislike for NY by some posters from other regions of the country considered hating?

Personally, being from the Midwest, I got love for all regions. But back in the day (late 80s, 90s) it felt like NY wasn't showing love, when everyone was showing it to them. So when you see someone from your backyard is not getting respect for putting out classic music just because they're not from New York or New Jersey, there's going to be a little resentment.

Take Outkast for example. They got booed at the Source Awards and had a Dope Album !!!! And they wasn't ? with anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwLG7aSYM3w

But today, everybody is showing love to each other for the most part. I went to a HBCU in the South (graduated in the early 2000s) and a lot of people enjoyed Jay-Z, 50 Cent.

The love was always there and still is .... although I had to put a few NY dudes in check before. They hear the "Kansas" in Kansas City and think I'm a ? or something. I miss college - LOL!
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hot 97 Playlist from April 94

1 WU -TANG CLAN /C.R.E.A.M.
    2 JODECI /Feenin'
    3 R. KELLY /Bump N' Grind
    4 REEL TO REAL /I Like To Move It
    5 SWV /Anything
    6 MASTA ACE INC. /Born To Roll
    7 A TRIBE CALLED CU /Electric Rela
    8 DAWN PENN /You Don't Love Me (Nc
    9 WARREN G. 6 HATE /Regulate
    10 TEVIN CAMPBELL /I'm Ready
    11 GANG STARR /Maas Appeal
    12 MEGA BATON /Sound Boy Killing
    13 SNOOP DOGGY DOGG /Lodi Dodi
    14 SUDDEN CHANGE /Combo' On Strong
    15 SNOOP DOGGY DOOG /Gin And Juice
    16 ALL -4- ONE /So Much In Love
    17 DOMINO /Sweet Potatoe Pie
    18 ZHANR' /Sending My Love
    19 CHANTAI SAVAGE /Betche'll Never
    20 2 IN A ROOM /E1 Trago
    21 TERMINATOR X /It All Canes Down
    22 HEAVY D. 4 THE BO /Got Me Waitin
    23 K -7 /Hi De ?
    24 ICE CUBE /You Know How We Do It
    25 NAS /It Ain'k Hard To Tell
    26 ROBIN S/I Want To Thank You
    27 QUEEN LATIFAH /Black Hand Side
    28 DOUG E. FRESH /Freaks
    29 RIVER OCEAN f /IND /Love and Happ
    30 JERU THE DAMAJA /D. Original

• skpjr78
    edited September 2016
    Options
    a_list wrote: »
    Hot 97 Playlist from April 94

1 WU -TANG CLAN /C.R.E.A.M.
    2 JODECI /Feenin'
    3 R. KELLY /Bump N' Grind
    4 REEL TO REAL /I Like To Move It
    5 SWV /Anything
    6 MASTA ACE INC. /Born To Roll
    7 A TRIBE CALLED CU /Electric Rela
    8 DAWN PENN /You Don't Love Me (Nc
    9 WARREN G. 6 HATE /Regulate
    10 TEVIN CAMPBELL /I'm Ready
    11 GANG STARR /Maas Appeal
    12 MEGA BATON /Sound Boy Killing
    13 SNOOP DOGGY DOGG /Lodi Dodi
    14 SUDDEN CHANGE /Combo' On Strong
    15 SNOOP DOGGY DOOG /Gin And Juice
    16 ALL -4- ONE /So Much In Love
    17 DOMINO /Sweet Potatoe Pie
    18 ZHANR' /Sending My Love
    19 CHANTAI SAVAGE /Betche'll Never
    20 2 IN A ROOM /E1 Trago
    21 TERMINATOR X /It All Canes Down
    22 HEAVY D. 4 THE BO /Got Me Waitin
    23 K -7 /Hi De ?
    24 ICE CUBE /You Know How We Do It
    25 NAS /It Ain'k Hard To Tell
    26 ROBIN S/I Want To Thank You
    27 QUEEN LATIFAH /Black Hand Side
    28 DOUG E. FRESH /Freaks
    29 RIVER OCEAN f /IND /Love and Happ
    30 JERU THE DAMAJA /D. Original

17% of the playlist was west coast hip hop artist meaning they were ignored 83% of the time. Thanks for proving my point.
  • skpjr78
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Snoop was the only hip hop artist to have a top 10 selling album in 1994 but according to that list he wasn't even top 10 in spins on hot 97.

219xa35ufg3s.jpg

http://www.billboard.com/articles/6259342/1994-vs-2014-top-selling-albums-comparison

Smh at Scarface dropping the Diary, Common dropping Resurrection and Outkast dropping SouthernPlayalistic all in 1994 but none of them being in the top 30 spins on hot 97. Double smh at Outkast winning new artist of the year for SouthernPlayalistic and getting booed at the Source Awards in NYC the next year. Triple smh at NYC being Outkast biggest ? riders 20 years later.
This discussion has been closed.