Official 2012 MLB thread

Options
Cosmic_Cannon
Cosmic_Cannon Members Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
couldn't find the thread, so eff it.\
The Met Who Blames Everything on the Wilpons

It’s really sad to see what the Mets have become: A great franchise, on the biggest stage in sports, is now a laughingstock. Ownership is trying to turn the Mets, a big-market franchise, into a small-market franchise. That’s not just sad, it’s disgusting.

You know what I think when I read about the Mets nowadays? We’ve become the Oakland A’s. We’re the Pittsburgh Pirates. Our fans deserve better than that. You can’t possibly build a dynasty when you’re cutting costs left and right. The only way to turn it around is to sell the team.

It hurts me to say this, because I’ve always liked Fred Wilpon. I know in his heart how much he wants the Mets to succeed. He’s always lived and died with the team. But there comes a time when it’s no longer possible to be in charge. Fred doesn’t have enough money to make it work.

People ask me all the time about the Madoff controversy. How much did the Wilpons know? My heart wants to believe Fred wasn’t in on the scheme, that there’s no way he would take that big of a gamble. The part of me that likes Fred thinks he just got taken advantage of. But there’s a flip side that I can’t ignore: No one makes that much money without knowing where it’s coming from.

Either way you look at it, what you have now is a team that feels like it’s bankrupt. Jose Reyes was allowed to walk without even getting an offer? If that’s your plan, you better have someone to replace him with. But the Wilpons don’t.

Reyes and David Wright were the heart of that team. Those were the guys the Mets had to build around. But now that Reyes is in Miami, Wright will be traded by the All-Star break. If they’re going to run this like a small-market team, that’s the way it’s going to unfold. If I’m David Wright, I’d want to be gone.

That’s because it’s going to be a long summer—you’re talking about last place. It’s a tough division all of a sudden. Who do we have that’s going to beat Stephen Strasburg or Cliff Lee? Who’s going to match up against Tim Hudson or Tommy Hanson? We won’t even be able to beat Mark Buehrle. Everyone in the division has at least one big weapon that we don’t have.

I feel bad for the fans because they deserve so much better. But I also feel bad for some of the guys who’ve gotten a raw deal. That’s one thing I can say about the front office—they don’t show a lot of loyalty.

Look at what happened to Mookie Wilson: He just got fired. Mookie went to the wall for the organization, but they still canned him. Look at Ken Oberkfell. Guy puts in twelve years with the organization; next thing you know, he’s been fired. No explanation. Those are the little things that tell you what direction a team is going in. People around the game hear about this stuff. They talk about it: “What’s happening to the Mets?” It depresses the hell out of me because I don’t think it’s going to improve until 2014 at the earliest. It’s going to be hard to ask the fans to sit through two brutal seasons, even though there’s some talent coming through the system.

What makes it worse is being in the same market as the Yankees. Obviously they have more money, but there used to be a time when the Mets and Yankees were equals. Today, it’s totally lopsided. But that’s not to say I have a problem with the Yankees—I don’t. I’m not jealous of them. They’ve given New York a product their fans can be proud of, like it’s supposed to be. I like Derek Jeter, I think he’s a class act. I read some of the good things and the bad things that were said when he was renegotiating, but he ended up having a pretty decent year. Is he overpaid now? Sure, but he earned it when he was younger. The Yankees took care of him, the way you’re supposed to.

I’m waiting for the day when the Mets get back to doing things the right way. In the meantime, it’s a disaster.

http://nymag.com/news/features/insiders/mets-2012/

Comments

• Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    baseball winter meetings are the WOAT.
    With that said, go Rangers.
    Hopefully Nolan Ryan can lead us to the promise land this year.
  • Cosmic_Cannon
    edited January 2012
    Options
    baseball winter meetings are the WOAT.
    With that said, go Rangers.
    Hopefully Nolan Ryan can lead us to the promise land this year.

You guys won the bidding for Darvish, so that's a start.
    Reds To Sign Ryan Madson

If any doubt remained about the Reds' intentions for the 2012 season, it disappeared this evening -- they're going for it. GM Walt Jocketty continued adding to his new-look pitching staff by agreeing to terms with Ryan Madson on a one-year deal. Scott Boras represents the right-hander, who figures to become the closer in Cincinnati's bullpen.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/reds-to-sign-ryan-madson-.html
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Pineda Traded to the Yanks , Montero Traded to the Mariners

both projected to be stars at their positions, doesn't mean it will hold true but with yea Yanks needed another young Pitcher badly and a potential future star in the rotation to go with CC

michael-pineda.jpg

090511_montero_dngla.jpg
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Are u kidding me?

The only person I'd give up montero for was an ace like King Felix.
    I think this was a mistake, Idc if he'll be a bad defensive catcher. We could've DH'd him this year and have Martin catch for one more year. Kid is gonna be a STUD on offense

We'll See how good Pineda will be for the Yanks, he has alot of Upside

1.CC
    2.Nova
    3.Pineda
    4.Hughes
    5.AJ
  • Cosmic_Cannon
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Are u kidding me?

The only person I'd give up montero for was an ace like King Felix.
    I think this was a mistake, Idc if he'll be a bad defensive catcher. We could've DH'd him this year and have Martin catch for one more year. Kid is gonna be a STUD on offense

We'll See how good Pineda will be for the Yanks, he has alot of Upside

1.CC
    2.Nova
    3.Pineda
    4.Hughes
    5.AJ

Are you kidding me, you guys ? the M's. Also you guys got Kuroda. It wouldn't shock me, if the Yanks beat the Angels to come out the AL.
  • Cosmic_Cannon
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Don't sleep on the Red's
    Ryan Ludwick Agrees To Terms With Cincinnati Reds

The Cincinnati Reds are reportedly signing free agent outfielder Ryan Ludwick to a one-year contract with a 2013 option.
    http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/1/16/2712620/ryan-ludwick-cincinnati-reds-contract
  • rice n gravy
    rice n gravy Members Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    how good is this Montero dude is he Piazza + Mauer or some sht? lol
  • Cosmic_Cannon
    edited January 2012
    Options
    how good is this Montero dude is he Piazza + Mauer or some sht? lol

It'd be foolish to say he's on their level.
    With that said, he's a power hitting prospect, who's made for the AL. He can't be your catcher or first baseman. Playing in that dominant Yankees lineup, may have made him look better than he was, so he may struggle going to a weak lineup that's in a pitcher's park.
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited January 2012
    Options
    how good is this montero dude is he piazza + mauer or some sht? Lol

no

• Cosmic_Cannon
    edited January 2012
    Options
    If Texas signs Darvish, adding Fielder unlikely
    Rangers fully expect to ink Japanese hurler before deadline

ARLINGTON -- The Rangers expect to sign Japanese pitcher Yu Darvish before Wednesday's 4 p.m. CT deadline.

Club sources said Texas doesn't have a deal done yet, and it could go down to the last day. But sources said the Rangers expect negotiations to get done if everybody stays "fair and reasonable."

If the Rangers get Darvish's deal done as expected, they are not expecting to sign free-agent first baseman Prince Fielder. The Rangers met with Fielder and his agent Scott Boras on Friday in Dallas in what was described as a "preliminary meeting."

Darvish visits the Rangers
    00:04:14
    MLB.com analysts Pete McCarthy and Jim Duquette talk about Yu Darvish's first visit with the Rangers
    Tags: MLB.com Hot Stove, Duquette, Jim, McCarthy, Pete, analysis, Texas RangersShare:
    Twitter

Facebook
    Email
    Related Video

Fielder still waiting

Ken Rosenthal on Yu Darvish

Hamilton on preparing for season
    The Rangers were willing to meet with Fielder because they wanted to have a backup plan in place in case a deal with Darvish did not get done. There is still a remote possibility that negotiations with Darvish fall through. In that case, Texas might turn its attention to Fielder.

But club officials continued to stress that the Rangers don't plan on signing both Darvish and Fielder. The team has made it clear that its focus is on pitching, and it expects to sign Darvish by Wednesday.

Darvish, who was 18-6 with a 1.44 ERA in 28 games for the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters in 2011, visited Arlington earlier this month and has already passed his physical.

The Rangers have also inquired about free-agent pitcher Roy Oswalt, but that is also considered part of the backup plan if the Rangers don't sign Darvish. The club would like to add one more starting pitcher to the staff but doesn't expect to sign both Darvish and Oswalt.

If the Rangers do sign Darvish, they will likely return their attention to multi-year contract discussions with some of their own players. They have already had conversations with several players over long-term deals. Some, like Mike Napoli and Derek Holland, have not gone anywhere. Others talks, particularly with Ian Kinsler and Colby Lewis, could get re-started once Darvish's situation is resolved.

Then there is Josh Hamilton, who can be a free agent after the upcoming season. The Rangers have had multiple conversations with agent Mike Moye about a long-term contract extension beyond this season.

Right now, those conversations have not progressed toward an agreement -- although the two sides have not shut the door on the possibility. Hamilton is entering the second season of a two-year, $24 million contract, so the Rangers do not have to worry about going to arbitration with him this winter.

Hamilton said this weekend that he would like a long-term contract extension in place by the beginning of Spring Training so he can focus on his job. If not, he is prepared to go into the season as an upcoming free agent.

The Rangers' discussions with Fielder could be viewed as a backup plan if they are unable to reach an agreement with Hamilton. -- but club officials said the meeting with Fielder was more about what they might do if they were unable to sign Darvish. The Rangers wanted to make sure they "didn't miss out on anything."

Darvish's contract could push the Rangers' payroll to over $120 million this coming season. Texas was at approximately $92 million last season and had a $55 million payroll to begin the 2010 season. The team was at $105 million to start the '02 season, the highest in club history.

The Rangers will have a better idea on Tuesday of what their payroll might look like. That is when they are scheduled to exchange arbitration figures with seven players: pitchers Matt Harrison, Mark Lowe and Mike Adams, outfielders David Murphy and Nelson Cruz, shortstop Elvis Andrus and Napoli.

Once arbitration figures are exchanged, the two sides will have roughly three to four weeks to negotiate before arbitration hearings are held in mid-February. The Rangers haven't gone to an arbitration hearing with a player since Lee Stevens in 2000.

Hamilton's father-in-law drops out
    Hamilton's father-in-law, Michael Dean Chadwick, has decided not to work with the Rangers. He was hired earlier this month as Hamilton's "accountability partner," but he has decided against accepting the job because of family considerations.

Johnny Narron filled that role for the past four seasons, but he left to take a job as the Brewers' hitting coach. Hamilton and the Rangers have started looking at other options, but nothing is decided yet.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120116&content_id=26362250&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Are you kidding me, you guys ? the M's. Also you guys got Kuroda. It wouldn't shock me, if the Yanks beat the Angels to come out the AL.
    Yankees definitely have a better Rotation if Pineda turns out as good as they say he can be. But Montero has 30 HR potential. He was the only Relatively Young Player in the lineup that I couldve look forward to(other then Cano). This lineup is getting OLD
  • Cosmic_Cannon
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Yankees definitely have a better Rotation if Pineda turns out as good as they say he can be. But Montero has 30 HR potential. He was the only Relatively Young Player in the lineup that I couldve look forward to(other then Cano). This lineup is getting OLD

Okay
    But, young pitching >>>>young hitting.
    Plus, Pineda is a better right now, he's at least a #3 starter. While Montero has yet to play a full season, and is STILL a prospect.
    Also, it's much each easier to find young bats then young arms.
  • rice n gravy
    rice n gravy Members Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Hamels signs 1 yr $15 mill

i swear if he hits free agents no way he comes back someone gona throw crazy numbers at him

rather trade him at deadline then get a 1st round pick
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Victor Martinez might be out all of next season with a torn ACL
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Tigers with the early L
  • Cosmic_Cannon
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Hamels signs 1 yr $15 mill

i swear if he hits free agents no way he comes back someone gona throw crazy numbers at him

rather trade him at deadline then get a 1st round pick

If only the Mets had new owners, than we'd be in the running for Cole or other FA's.
    ? THE WILPONS :mad:
  • TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    so i guess we ignored the mlb offseason thread....?
  • gilblane
    gilblane Members Posts: 1
    Options
    The Yankees rotation is nothing to laugh at anymore with the exception of AJ Burnett. 1-4 though they could be scary.
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here's to hoping the astros don't lose 120 games this year.
  • Gripsta77
    Gripsta77 Members Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im not looking forward to this season since the White Sox wont be competing this year, my only solace is that the Cubs still suck
  • Cosmic_Cannon
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Pirates get AJ Burnett
    All jokes aside, if Alvarez can stay healthy and produce, it wouldn't shock me if the Bucs are fighting for a playoff spot in September.

A's close to sign Manny
    Manny works out for A's, could sign soon

PHOENIX -- Oakland's interest in veteran free agent Manny Ramirez is still very much alive, and it appears the club could sign the embattled slugger within the next week.

Baseball sources confirmed to MLB.com that A's officials recently traveled to Florida to observe Ramirez's workouts. If the two sides reach an agreement, Ramirez would earn slightly more than the league minimum of $480,000, according to the Associated Press.

Ramirez would be utilized by the A's as a designated hitter, but not before serving a 50-game suspension stemming from his second violation of MLB's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program, meaning he wouldn't be paid or allowed to participate in a game until as early as June 2.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120218&content_id=26744182&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb
  • peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? the tigers...
  • Big_Ev
    Big_Ev Members Posts: 161 ✭✭
    Options
    couldn't find the thread, so eff it.\
    The Met Who Blames Everything on the Wilpons

It’s really sad to see what the Mets have become: A great franchise, on the biggest stage in sports, is now a laughingstock. Ownership is trying to turn the Mets, a big-market franchise, into a small-market franchise. That’s not just sad, it’s disgusting.

You know what I think when I read about the Mets nowadays? We’ve become the Oakland A’s. We’re the Pittsburgh Pirates. Our fans deserve better than that. You can’t possibly build a dynasty when you’re cutting costs left and right. The only way to turn it around is to sell the team.

It hurts me to say this, because I’ve always liked Fred Wilpon. I know in his heart how much he wants the Mets to succeed. He’s always lived and died with the team. But there comes a time when it’s no longer possible to be in charge. Fred doesn’t have enough money to make it work.

People ask me all the time about the Madoff controversy. How much did the Wilpons know? My heart wants to believe Fred wasn’t in on the scheme, that there’s no way he would take that big of a gamble. The part of me that likes Fred thinks he just got taken advantage of. But there’s a flip side that I can’t ignore: No one makes that much money without knowing where it’s coming from.

Either way you look at it, what you have now is a team that feels like it’s bankrupt. Jose Reyes was allowed to walk without even getting an offer? If that’s your plan, you better have someone to replace him with. But the Wilpons don’t.

Reyes and David Wright were the heart of that team. Those were the guys the Mets had to build around. But now that Reyes is in Miami, Wright will be traded by the All-Star break. If they’re going to run this like a small-market team, that’s the way it’s going to unfold. If I’m David Wright, I’d want to be gone.

That’s because it’s going to be a long summer—you’re talking about last place. It’s a tough division all of a sudden. Who do we have that’s going to beat Stephen Strasburg or Cliff Lee? Who’s going to match up against Tim Hudson or Tommy Hanson? We won’t even be able to beat Mark Buehrle. Everyone in the division has at least one big weapon that we don’t have.

I feel bad for the fans because they deserve so much better. But I also feel bad for some of the guys who’ve gotten a raw deal. That’s one thing I can say about the front office—they don’t show a lot of loyalty.

Look at what happened to Mookie Wilson: He just got fired. Mookie went to the wall for the organization, but they still canned him. Look at Ken Oberkfell. Guy puts in twelve years with the organization; next thing you know, he’s been fired. No explanation. Those are the little things that tell you what direction a team is going in. People around the game hear about this stuff. They talk about it: “What’s happening to the Mets?” It depresses the hell out of me because I don’t think it’s going to improve until 2014 at the earliest. It’s going to be hard to ask the fans to sit through two brutal seasons, even though there’s some talent coming through the system.

What makes it worse is being in the same market as the Yankees. Obviously they have more money, but there used to be a time when the Mets and Yankees were equals. Today, it’s totally lopsided. But that’s not to say I have a problem with the Yankees—I don’t. I’m not jealous of them. They’ve given New York a product their fans can be proud of, like it’s supposed to be. I like Derek Jeter, I think he’s a class act. I read some of the good things and the bad things that were said when he was renegotiating, but he ended up having a pretty decent year. Is he overpaid now? Sure, but he earned it when he was younger. The Yankees took care of him, the way you’re supposed to.

I’m waiting for the day when the Mets get back to doing things the right way. In the meantime, it’s a disaster.

http://nymag.com/news/features/insiders/mets-2012/

As a Mets fan this is going to not just a long year but a long couple of years.
  • TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    my division winners predictions.

AL West Angels
    AL central tigers
    AL east orioles (yes orioles)
    AL wildcard rangers

NL West diamondbacks
    NL central cubs (i think they will be good this season)
    NL East phillies
    NL wildcard marlins

orioles got a nice lineup, they need one more starting pitcher imo.