Do you agree with Master P about Whitney Houston?

Options
H-Rap 180
H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2012 in The Reason
Master P on Whitney Houston: “Where Were They When She Was Alive?”

master-p-on-whitney-houston.jpeg

Master P has a few questions for those who have been coming out of nowhere with the love and admiration for Whitney Houston, and he makes some very valid points. Check out his editorial below:
We come from nothing. Nobody is perfect. But once you become a star, they never truly recognize you until you are dead. Whitney Houston had an amazing funeral. What a supporting cast of stars, politicians, community leaders, and business execs that attended and shared their love. But where were they when she was alive?

I’m asking the world some questions, and I just want you to think about what I’m saying. Maybe some of you asked the same questions.

- If Whitney was alive and had a birthday on February 18, 2012 instead of a funeral, how many celebrities would have showed up?
- Do you think Kevin Costner would have made time and said half of the nice things he said while Whitney was alive?
- With all of the money Whitney made for Arista Records, if she asked for some financial assistance to help put Bobby Kristina through college, do you think they would have helped her?
- With everything Whitney had been through and overcome, if she wanted to do a program to help girls, what TV stations would have aired it as quickly as they aired her funeral?
- Now they call Whitney a Legend, the Greatest, the Voice. How many told her that while she was alive?
- If Whitney were alive, how many of us would be waiting to see and support the upcoming movie, Sparkle?
- If Whitney were alive, would the Grammy’s have paid the same attention to her?
- Radio stations are playing Whitney’s music, her videos are in rotation, people are buying her albums, but who are the ones truly benefiting from it now?

Some say Clive Davis was her best friend. Just for the record, I’ve been in the music business for over 20 years. You are never friends with the people who are cutting your checks, because they’re always trying to figure out how to not pay you or pay you at the last minute.
We should give people flowers while they’re alive. They can’t do anything with them when they’re gone.

Source: Master P on Whitney Houston: “Where Were They When She Was Alive?” | MyMajicDC - Majic 102.3 DC's Home for the Adult Urban Community

:obamahmm:

Comments

• KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes I do agree with him
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plap Sun wrote:
    thats just real ? ? tho

Plap where u been man? Dunking on hoes in alligator shoes lol
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree with what he's saying, but he's not really saying anything new. The same thing happens when every legend dies. Look at Michael Jackson. Like Jay-Z said on the Black Album in '03, "They never really love you til you're dead or you're gone".
  • Aristo_V300
    Aristo_V300 Members Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree 100% but the same thing can be said about most dead celebrities.
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes!!! Finally somebody said it. I was wondering some of this same stuff while they televised the funeral. Its damn shame how many people showed up paid respects but where were yall when she was down? Smh.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He spoke the truth.... all these folk crying were laughing and clowing all the ? is wack jokes when she was alive....
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote:
    He spoke the truth.... all these folk crying were laughing and clowing all the ? is wack jokes when she was alive....

and you probably was too
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Same thing applies to situations across the board. Like the Haiti earthquake for instance... Had anyone cared before the disaster and Haiti weren't full of shanty houses and overall poor uncared for structures then it wouldn't have been near as tragic or garnered all that media attention. However, no one cared that Haiti had already been one of the most impoverished nations in the world until became a media showcase and publicity oppurtunity. Just like they didnt care that Whitney was on a downward spiral and struggling financially. ? not even her own ex gave a ? , but now all of a sudden he's an author less than a week later. Shameless

The involvement of these celebrities is nothing more that a publicity stunt on all levels, whether it is good hearted or not and ask for everybody else...

People are reactive not proactive, thats just the nature of the beast, nothing new profound or insightful

For threads sake, yes i do agree with P whole heartedly
  • thefabmd2dc
    thefabmd2dc Members Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hes right
    We as a society only celebrate people while they are alive.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote:

and you probably was too

to be real I wasnt. I shook my head and was like she need help. I was the same way with MJ.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    at the same time one could argue that don cornelius who started soul train should have been honored more than whitney. granted the scandalls he had stopped people from remembering as much. but i think you could make a case that soul train impacted music especally black artists bigger than whitney could have. and without don starting and putting money on the line for soul train the black artist would have never had a outlet. granted he wasnt a singer and never directly did shows but his show idea changed telivision.

also there are so many big starts its difficult to honor them all in the already too long award show format. think of all the great artists right now that if they died would get as big of a grief as whitney. from aretha to stevie and many more you cant honor everyone a show. neither could to get everyone together for a benifit show/dinner 30 times a year to honor all the great stars.

hell if lil wayne died right now (as much as i hate his new music) every kid 18 and under would be ready to make him the next pac.....? would be a bigger buzz than whitney. and the truth is every big star has fair weather friends and loyal friends alike. while it is often we celibrate too little too late sometimes it can be a lesson to appreciate our lives and try to tell people how much they mean to us before they die or we die.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2012
    Options
    What's the big deal?

When famous people die, we look back on their lives and celebrate them.

There's nothing newsworthy about this.

She was a talented cracked out singer, not a Saint.
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know why ppl wanna act all broken hearted when someone passes on to the next life. They was the same ones talking behind your back and spitting in your face...
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    he saying what most are saying/want to say.
  • 704Hustla
    704Hustla Members Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    Options
    that's what the media always do they exploit the ? out of someone's personal problems or private issues just to make money and the people aint no better cause they buy all the stories and talk shows get hella viewers talking about it all day cause that what makes peoples world go around is getting the dirt on famous people

then when the person finally cracks and pass away over some drug related ? (which aint suprising) mufuckas get into massive image overhaul just so they can wash their hands clean and make themselves look good while they still exploiting the ? cause the story is bigger since they died..

and why say all this nice ? to a lifeless corpse that 6ft undegrround now its late you just ? in the wind...would've made more sense to say that ? while the person was alive and could feel and react to that instead of constantly riding and trying to destroy them while they were alive and wanna put on a fake show now that she dead i aint supportin that and id say dont support these greatest hits and anthologies they bout to put out and have them make even more money off it
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He is talking the truth. If she was still alive, people would still make crackhead jokes about her.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    P is talkin true ? here. Where were these people to maybe STOP this from happening to Whitney?

Same for Mike. EVERYONE an they momma clowned the ? outta him when they saw him climbing trees on that doc. Then he died...and now people off'n themselves talking about how much they loved him and ? .

Star ? .
  • memphis2sacnicc
    memphis2sacnicc Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    P need to go head with that ? . ? already know this.

This is just not with famous people either. This happens with EVERY ? BODY that dies. Famous or not, their lives are sugarcoated and/or more cherished after their death.

? happens everyday P. Move on ? , i'm pretty sure there will be another famous person to die soon that everybody will do the same thing for.
    I agree. I betcha he said look out fa his album comin soon and lil Romeo. P is always tryin' to keep his name relevant. smh
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've never understood sentiments like this.

It's impossible to show the same outpouring of attention to someone while they are alive as when they die. Whitney was honored while she was alive. She got numerous awards throughout her lifetime. She made a lot of money. She had lots of fans. Of course the spectacle of her funeral was greater than any showing during her life. That's because it's a final goodbye, a last hurrah. You can't say goodbye to someone if they are still here.

I can understand when people say we should care about others when they are alive and not just when they are dead. I don't agree with P when he tries to paint it as though Whitney only got that kinda love when she died. People loved Whitney throughout her crazy and drugged out escapades. Funerals exist for a reason. It doesn't make any sense to bash funerals because people didn't put that same amount of effort into every other day. That's just unreasonable.
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This just shows you that you should cherish your favorite musician before they're gone. If you think they're legends and icon then say it now. If they got a straight to DVD movies then watch em...... Dont do all that ? when they're gone.
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    Options
    P got a point, but he exaggerated some ? . At first, it's completely normal to celebrate achievmenets of deceased and grieve on their grave. We never know what we lost until it's gone and that's a human thing. I don't know how helpful were Whitney friends during her worst period. ALl I know is that we, fans can be cruel to our idols. Whitney has been booed on stage numerous times, they made countless jokes about her addiction and toxic relationship with Bobby, yet nobody tried to understand what she was going through. Judging by her last struggling performance with Kelly Price, Whitney didn't want to live that life no more. ? bless your soul Whitney. Your music will live forever.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only thing i'm glad he touched on is this Clive Davis is her best friend ? . come on with that ?
  • BanjeeFish
    BanjeeFish Members Posts: 308
    Options
    Well, unless we start with each other, loving and respecting each other, instead of trying to hurt each others feelings, we are really just HYPOCRITES.

• HustleTree
    HustleTree Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    P was talking real ? IMO