Who is more relevant in HipHop in 2012: Nas or 50-Cent

Options
H-Rap 180
H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in The Reason
Here's an article from a couple years ago:

XXL Mag: Nas threw a shot on “Queens Get the Money,” and you didn’t respond. You getting all Gandhi on us?

50 Cent:
Man, Nas is cold as ice. Nas is the block of ice that sunk the Titanic… I didn’t even hear his record. I didn’t even hear what you talking about… I really don’t want to talk about Nas. I think he’s at one of those points to where his career’s finished, to be honest. He’s had some great moments and made good music in the past, but he no longer has the interest of the general public or myself.

50 Cent:The public will tell me that Curtis is a failure. And I sold 700,000 copies the first week. So what do I gotta do? Reach a million, at a minimum?!

That’s the bar you set. You’re the SoundScan Killer, remember?

50 Cent: Right, but if we’re gonna call that a failure, then somebody identify what a win is for me. All I need to know is what it is, and then I’ll go ’head and go. Musically, from my perspective, Curtis was exactly what I aimed for it to be. Or I wouldn’t have presented it to the public. I listen to my music before I put it out. I’m listening to it, and I’m hearing it, and I’m like, Yeah, this is what I wanna do now.

via XXL

Fast forward to 2012 it looks like Nas can get the HipHop community buzzing like crazy just off a new single...a lot of people anticipating "Life is Good" it seems.

So who is a more relevant artist in 2012 based on your observations and based on 50-Cents theory of relevance?

Comments

• rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LMAO

Is this even a contest?
  • Gee_has_hot_picture
    Gee_has_hot_picture Members Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    this is a bias question, just ask who you think would sell more, id say about the same

Nas defiantly didnt fall off compared to 50, but they still sell the same

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCOURZ-yx4E

as for just hip hop nas GOAT ^ ? spit that ? in that comeback album

• H-Rap 180
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    LMAO

Is this even a contest?

Co-sign what Southil4lil said about Nas being in demand for his 16's because as soon as Prodigy got out of prison he requested a Nas verse instead of a 50-Cent verse and 50 was his boss.

I was just surprised at how much excitement and discussion that Nas new single has made on all the social media platforms and blogs and wondered if a 50-Cent single could generate that same amount of energy.

So if Nas is the block of iceberg that sank the Titanic then what Is 50-Cent?

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Raekwon, Common, Lil' Wayne, Mary J. Blige, K'Naan, Tyga, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj ... in the last year or so

Anyone else I'm missing?
  • H-Rap 180
    edited March 2012
    Options
    this is a bias question, just ask who you think would sell more, id say about the same

Nas defiantly didnt fall off compared to 50, but they still sell the same

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCOURZ-yx4E

as for just hip hop nas GOAT ^ ? spit that ? in that comeback album

We can see who gives Reactions now so let me ask you why you flagged this thread?

Nas last album sold more domestically than 50-Cents last album but when we talk about relevancy in HipHop we are not just talking about record sales.

Lets ignore 50-Cents sales rhetoric and focus on the music and the lyrics and who's album is more anticipated.

When people see/hear videos/songs like "Nasty", & "Ghetto Dreams" & "Nothing to Lose" you can't deny that Nas is still relevant in the eyes of his peers and after seeing the excitement behind "The Don" it's safe to say that his album is in most peoples top ten or top 5 anticipated this year.

Poor 50-Cent just doesn't generate the level of excitement in 2012 like a more relevant artist Nas does.
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Raekwon, Common, Lil' Wayne, Mary J. Blige, K'Naan, Tyga, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj ... in the last year or so

Anyone else I'm missing?

He was on Mary J's last album as well. And somebody on here let me know that he's gonna be on Melanie Fiona's upcoming album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPU109IoCUU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf-zhAy0oEg
  • H-Rap 180
    Options

Anyone else I'm missing?

He was on Mary J's last album as well. And somebody on here let me know that he's gonna be on Melanie Fiona's upcoming album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPU109IoCUU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf-zhAy0oEg

Yes, it's like you and Dilla said its obvious who is well respected and revered amongst their peers.

• Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
  • H-Rap 180
    Options
    Dumb question

Intelligent answer.

• Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Big 10 mixtape had more buzz than anything nas did since the despicable shuckin n jivin on the red carpet while rockin "? " attire like a fool

FACT nas is in the news more for gettin sued,child support,owing back taxes and his daughter showin off her treasure chest full of assorted condoms than anything musically

While Fif's "I just wanna" video has 3.2 million views(600k more views than nasty) gets tick on the radio and in clubs

I've had brothas ask me to burn copies of the big 10,50 has fell off but he's still more relevant than nas in 2012

/thread

We don't believe you. Just stop it Uncle Thomas Ruckus..

Anyone else I'm missing?

Let's see nas was on rich forever, carter 4, tygas new cd and it looks like Nickis new cd, how many people trying to get a 16 from fiddy?

Exactly..Nas is on fire and is in high demand, while 50 is non-existent. Burning bridges does wonders for a career right?
  • stealthbomber
    stealthbomber Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas but I'm checking for 50 too they need to squash the beef and make a new joint
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas, honestly who is checking for 50 Cent's music?
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas have something to say that sparks the brain and have a message and he's touring with Damian Marley touching people of color all acorss the world so Nas is more relevant in hip-hop
  • bherc
    bherc Members Posts: 201 ✭✭
    Options
    Nas that new music tough
  • riddlerap
    riddlerap Members Posts: 17,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the features thing, you cant really count that. 50 doesnt work with people, so when people are coming up with who they want on their album, they dont think of him. its not because of his talent or anything of substance. and just look at the song's he has featured on that got big (Down On Me, Up). you dont think someone wants the possibility of that happening for themselves?
  • riddlerap
    riddlerap Members Posts: 17,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Billfiger is right though. 50 got a performance on X-Factor off of a mixtape song. Nas isnt doing that.
  • dade county 305
    dade county 305 Members Posts: 355
    Options
    Damn!!!!,everybody sh1tting on 50 in this thread lol.
    But outside of this thread,I don't hear anybody checking for Nas.
    Even if he's doing all those features yall typing about.
    But that new song he just dropped,is nice.
    50 is more relevant to me,because im a fan of his music.
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Do people even know why nas and 50 have Beef? skip to 3:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYMBaUS0LwY

• stealthbomber
    stealthbomber Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    50 is more relevant to the masses

nas is more relevant to hip hop fans

/thread
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I NEVER ? with 50Cent and Nas is the GOAT, so Nas hands down.
  • H-Rap 180
    Options
    riddlerap wrote: »
    the features thing, you cant really count that. 50 doesnt work with people, so when people are coming up with who they want on their album, they dont think of him. its not because of his talent or anything of substance. and just look at the song's he has featured on that got big (Down On Me, Up). you dont think someone wants the possibility of that happening for themselves?

Why are saying features don't count and then naming songs that 50-Cent was featured on?

People don't really want to work with 50-Cent, just ask Emenim who would rather work with LiL Wayne or Dr Dre who would rather work with Ross and Jimmy Iovine who would rather work with Dipset....Prodigy (Mobb Deep) would rather work with Nas, and LLoyd Banks recognizes that his biggest chance for a hit is with Dipset

However I do give Soulja Boy credit for giving 50-Cent a feature, and I give LiL B credit for giving Tony Yayo a feature.

...even Brian Pumper was shouting out G-Unit in his new Vlog so ya gotta give you guys some credit.

• alphajjc
    alphajjc Members Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    riddlerap wrote: »

Why are saying features don't count and then naming songs that 50-Cent was featured on?

People don't really want to work with 50-Cent, just ask Emenim who would rather work with LiL Wayne or Dr Dre who would rather work with Ross and Jimmy Iovine who would rather work with Dipset....Prodigy (Mobb Deep) would rather work with Nas, and LLoyd Banks recognizes that his biggest chance for a hit is with Dipset

However I do give Soulja Boy credit for giving 50-Cent a feature, and I give LiL B credit for giving Tony Yayo a feature.

...even Brian Pumper was shouting out G-Unit in his new Vlog so ya gotta give you guys some credit.

If I were Curtis Jackson I would be embarrassed RIGHT NOW and years from now that I had just recently performed a concert where I had to resort to playing songs from my only good album because of how unpopular I have become.

I mean having to resort to playing the whole of "Get Rich Or Die Tryin'" just to get a buzz(which still was barely not even noticed) is absolutely pathetic and I really wonder why can't 50 realize that its time to just hang it up.

He is an embarrassment who has absolutely no respect for the hip hop culture as an art-form and seems to have just enjoyed bringing negative vibes to the game. Now that the karma is catching up to him it seems that he is trying to salvage his reputation and get on everybody's good side.

"I have to make music that has the moments that Nas had."

^Get the hell out of here with that nonsense. Curtis you have got to be the most uncreative rapper in hip hop history and your most serious and probably best song "Many Men" still is technically uncreative(despite the good production). Your just a horrible emcee and the one thing that you were known for being good for(hooks) , your not even talented at anymore.

And another thing is.......I dont know when did you decide to turn into some guy obsessed with white women and how they react to you---Reading bedtime stories to old white ladies on Chelsea Handler, Acting like a simp when you were dating Chelsea, having MULTIPLE INTERRACIAL sex scenes, etc.....In fact I seriously think Vivica Foxx was the last black woman I saw you actually dating.

But anyway back to what I was saying, look at how many people have had Nas on their songs in the past year........when was the last time you had someone at your college campus, your workplace, on the bus, at a family get-together, etc mention 50 cent when you got onto the topic of hip hop music?

I mean it really is ironic sometimes how karma works. When your that cocky for no reason or no talent to back it up, it NEVER EVER turns out well.

I have said this before and I will say it again...........Get Rich Or Die Tryin' is going to age HORRIBLY as a classic album.