Comments

• KeepinItHundred
    KeepinItHundred Members Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    SMH.. It baffles my mind that people can sit here and say Jay-Z was better that Biggie... Thats no knock on Hov.. Cuz Hov is that dude.. But yo.. Biggie?.. Biggie?.. C'mon son.. LmaO!..

whats so great about biggie lyrically? overall rapper? he was great. but lyrically many are better.

If I have to explain to you whats so great about him as a Lyricist.. Chances are you just wont get it.. So lets just agree to disagree.. I suggest you give LAD a unbiased listen.. That explains everything clearly.. When you factor that it came out back in 1997... And was recorded for most of 96'

people just overrate his verses a lot. a biased opinion would be saying biggie is the best just because everybody else does. there's really nothing to "get". big could never even drop a verse like shiny suit theory.

Victory says Hi.. SMH...

one of his more overrated performances, except the jackson tyson line. he was nice, but not that nice.

yet Jay bit that line.. as did other mcs... that hella overrated huh?

i said except that line first of all. and yes, overall it wasn't that great. long kiss, kick in the door >>>>>>>>>>>>> victory
  • the_focused_one
    the_focused_one Members Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    People still in denial about Jay being better than Biggie

Jay was/is better than Biggie... Had Biggie lived longer, people would've been like:

"Aye... Why is Jay murkin' this Commission album bro? I thought Biggie was about to school him..."

However, I would contend that Nas in '96 was better than Jay in '96...

It doesn't matter though, they're the top two GOATs in my opinion, so it's a win win whenever they drop some hot ? - I love bumpin' either any day of the week.

• rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    Jay Z wouldnt even co sign this ? .

DEAD
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Jigga the Greatest
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Post some BIG lyrics that are as lyrically deep as D'Evils.
    Please.

• BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hova the GOAT.
  • longmeat
    longmeat Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Ima have to give that title to the true king or ny the notorious one.
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've never heard people say Jay was GOAT til ? was on Black album pleading his case
  • 86 jordan
    86 jordan Members Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    BIG
    Jay
    lyrically Big L was better, he out shined Jay easily in the freestyle
    But regardless of opinions Jay is in the convo for his era
  • Maalik
    Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    th_bunbreally.png

Big was not more lyrical than Jay. cut the ? . its just yall 90s ? holding on to nostalgia.

I sold it all from ? to o-pium, in third person
    I don't wanna see em, so I'm rehearsin
    with my peoples how to G' em, from a remote lo-cation
    in the BM, scopin the whole situation like, "Dayamm!"
    Metamorphic, as the dope turns to cre-am
    but one of these buyers got eyes like a Korean
    It's difficult to read em, the windows to his soul
    are half closed, I put the key in
    Pulled off slow, hopin my people flee-in
    ? tried to knock the only link that tied me in
    Coppers was watchin us through nighttime binoculars
    This time they got us on tape, exchangin dope for dollars
    Make me wanna, holler back at the crib in the sauna
    Prayin my people bailed out like Time/Warner
    Awaitin call, from his kin not the coroner
    Phone in my hand, nervous confined to a corner
    Beads of sweat second thoughts on my mind
    How can I ease the stress and learn to live with these regrets
    This time... stress... givin this ? up... ?

This is one of my favorite Jay verses. Rhyme schemes on top of rhyme schemes. Layered with so much detail yet, still retaining the emotion. Find me a Big verse where there's 2-3 rhyme schemes throughout the entire 16. Find me a Big verse where he's doing all of that & still staying on topic, crafting a detailed concept, finding 100 different ways to explain the same ? . Yall ? is full of it & I've heard all of Biggie's music.
  • son of 1973
    son of 1973 Members Posts: 769
    Options
    Maalik wrote: »
    th_bunbreally.png

Big was not more lyrical than Jay. cut the ? . its just yall 90s ? holding on to nostalgia.

This is one of my favorite Jay verses. Rhyme schemes on top of rhyme schemes. Layered with so much detail yet, still retaining the emotion. Find me a Big verse where there's 2-3 rhyme schemes throughout the entire 16. Find me a Big verse where he's doing all of that & still staying on topic, crafting a detailed concept, finding 100 different ways to explain the same ? . Yall ? is full of it & I've heard all of Biggie's music.

It ain't being stuck in the 90's tho fam. I think Nas better than both of them personally (by a little bit), but i be thinking Jay has people starstruck sometimes. How he gonna be better than BIG when BIG showed Jay how to rhyme successfully through his blueprint. BIG had wordplay and ill rhyme schemes too (though they were simpler they were just as effective). Plus the voice and more charisma. Jay had to work harder because he wasn't quite the rapper BIG was IMO, he was overlooked before he took the BIG rap approach on Reasonable Doubt. Him and BIG had the same subject matter, but BIG said as much hot ? as him or more with less effort. To me if you can do that you better and BIG did that.

• NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BIG wasn't more lyrical than Jay, but he was better.
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't understand how people say Jay took BIG's style and ran with it haha.
    Ready To Die and Reasonable Doubt are completely different records.
    I mean you can just look at the most introspective songs on their debut albums "Regrets" and "Suicidal Thoughts" and realize these ? were on two different levels of thinking.

Also, you can say BIG is better than Jay, but it's annoying how ? can't concede the fact that Jay was a better lyricist than BIG. That ? is clear.
  • Maalik
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Maalik wrote: »
    th_bunbreally.png

It ain't being stuck in the 90's tho fam. I think Nas better than both of them personally (by a little bit), but i be thinking Jay has people starstruck sometimes. How he gonna be better than BIG when BIG showed Jay how to rhyme successfully through his blueprint. BIG had wordplay and ill rhyme schemes too (though they were simpler they were just as effective). Plus the voice and more charisma. Jay had to work harder because he wasn't quite the rapper BIG was IMO, he was overlooked before he took the BIG rap approach on Reasonable Doubt. Him and BIG had the same subject matter, but BIG said as much hot ? as him or more with less effort. To me if you can do that you better and BIG did that.

you basically just admitted Jay was more lyrical. for whatever reason, yall can't just say it outright.
  • Maalik
    edited April 2012
    Options
    CoolJoe wrote: »
    I don't understand how people say Jay took BIG's style and ran with it haha.
    Ready To Die and Reasonable Doubt are completely different records.
    I mean you can just look at the most introspective songs on their debut albums "Regrets" and "Suicidal Thoughts" and realize these ? were on two different levels of thinking.

Also, you can say BIG is better than Jay, but it's annoying how ? can't concede the fact that Jay was a better lyricist than BIG. That ? is clear.

I always felt Nas was at one end of the spectrum & Big at the other. One being extremely lyrical. Other being flow, charisma, wordplay. Jay is somewhere at the middle of those two. I guess haters might say Jay was a jack of trades & a master of none LOL.

I also don't see the comparisons between Ready to Die & Reasonable Doubt either.
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is Jay-z lyically better the Jaz-o????????????
  • ThaCerealKilla
    ThaCerealKilla Members Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    Options
    This Thread is a Big FALSE:

Big in his Prime >>>>>>>> Jay still hasn't made a better overall LP than Big, Ready To Die >> Any Jay album, Life After Death >>>> Any Jay Album. Jay is not better lyrically than Big. Jay does not have a better flow, Jay cannot tell a better story than Big. What does Jay do better than Big did? LOL @ dudes still trying to say Big wasn't lyrical. Yet Jay Z and countless other emcee's can't keep his lyrics out they mouth. Big is the father, Jay is the Son. "I'm the focal point sort of like Biggie in his Prime", Even Jay knew Big in his Prime was GOAT Status.

NaS in his Prime>>>>>>>> ILLmatic NaS is better than anything Jay could do at that point.

Pac in his Prime >>>>>>> Me against the world, All Eyes on Me and Makaveli was Pac's Prime. Yes Jay had a better flow and was better lyrically but he wasn't a better artist.

Ready To Die, Life After Death, Me against the World, All Eyes On Me, Makaveli, ILLmatic >>>>>>> Any Jay Album

Homie broke it down plain & simple.
    /thread
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL @ Biggie not being able to craft a detailed concept when his storytelling abilities knock Jay out of the water. Fact is Jay has bitten way to many Biggie rhymes to be better than him lyrically. Jay doesn't have the emotion Big had on "Suicidal Thoughts" or "Everyday Struggle". "Who Shot Ya, Long Kiss" are as lyrical as anything Jay has ever done. They callabo 3 times and Jay could not knock Biggie out in none of them. "D'evils" is a Classic but it does not prove Jay is better than Biggie Lyrically. "Warning and ? Bleed" are so detailed in concept in storytelling, it's far to advanced for Jay to do Lyrically. Jay's best story "Meet The Parents" came on his 7th LP, Big was spitting Classic stories on his 1st LP. So stop the nonsense. It has nothing to do with 90's nostalgia cause they are both from the same era. Biggie was a lyrical monster which is why he's one of the most influential lyricist ever.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    This thread can't be serious. But I'm gonna make this short...
    Big (circa '94-'96)? and Nas (circa '94-'98)>>>>Jay (circa '96-'99)
    Jay was a beast in his prime no doubt, especially Reasonable Doubt/Volume 1 era..but something happened after Volume 2..

Jay was basically using Big's simplicity but effectiveness and Jaz-O's flow, visuals and complexity so in a sense...well it's kinda like a roll of the dice..it all depends on the listener's preference.
  • a-grave247
    a-grave247 Members Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just don't understand how people can say Ghost is up there with Jay lyrically or as an artist.I'm a ghost fan but because he has a dope flow and can tell some amazing stories he is not that good as lyricist.Supreme clientele is dope but lyrically its a mess and that is considered his best album.Hell GZA is better in his prime than ghostface
  • deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay-Z had a gun on his chest when he was in his prime.

Jay Lost
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know about all that outside of Reasonable Doubt,BP,TBA, and American Gangster his material is meh very skippable. Nas is a better rapper than Jay-Z is. Nas just has ? beat selection. And Big got Jay-zs young Gz so he not better than Big either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmYks8YKOZU

biggie blew by jigga on this ? ..... sheeeeeeeeeeeeesh !

• Maalik
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYIsa_u_C-s

Big's flow/cadence covered up his lack of lyricism. Big could never write Dead Presidents.