The one film that the Black Community needs is

Options
KingJamal
KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Lights, Camera, Action!
The Last Pharaoh starring Will Smith. We need a Black Epic movie in the worst way yall. Something besides this romantic comedy ? . If anybody can do it (besides Denzel) its Will.

All hail King Taharqa.

t51_op_449x600.jpg

Comments

• KingJamal
    Options
    sionb55 wrote: »
    Ahh man I hope they make that movie, I think we as a people need to get an idea of our history WITHOUT having white faces running around like we never existed. The real Egyptians and King Ramses II were black people but let Hollywood tell it and they never existed. I salute Will Smith for this.

Yo something else we need too is a coming of age black film - like American Pie or Superbad but without the gangs and guns tho. Like I understand that Menace and great movies like that represented the 90s but today we've come a long way, and honestly all those movies ended badly. Just a clean positive and yeah maybe comedic approach.

Fixed and I agree
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    This would be a good film in this climate and many more like it not just in this era (dynastic egypt) but throuout all era's.
  • harlem hustla
    harlem hustla Members Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I been hopin for that flick since I first heard about it back in 09, I dont think its gon happen.

nd they need to do an epic about the moors they show moors in movies but their roles are always small except shakespeare's othello.
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ahh man I hope they make that movie, I think we as a people need to get an idea of our history WITHOUT having white faces running around like we never existed. The real Egyptians and King Ramses II were black people but let Hollywood tell it and they never existed. I salute Will Smith for this.

Yo something else we need too is a coming of age black film - like American Pie or Superbad but without the gangs and guns tho. Like I understand that Menace and great movies like that represented the 80s but today we've come a long way, and honestly all those movies ended badly. Just a clean positive and yeah maybe comedic approach.

I definitely agree with this. We dont have ? like that at all. I would def pay to see it and I wouldnt doubt it would be a hit. I agree with this thread as well. I thought this movie was being made?
  • FroHawke
    FroHawke Members Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    Options
    We also need a straight out action flick...like the classic Shwarzneggar flicks, or the more recent Statham type movies, starred by a titular black actor. The unfortunate thing is, we don't know any black actors that can play that action role and show with charisma, cuz black actors don't get any roles.

And don't say Michael Jai White...because while he has judo skills, he sucks as an actor. Will and Denzel are too old.
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Blacks (mostly black women) need to stop buying up all those romance novels (which usually get turned into movies) and support black fantasy authors.

Maybe then we will get our own Harry potter, hunger games, twilight, etc.
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Leave it up to Hollywood it'll star Channing Tatum
  • Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If they really wanted to be trill with it they'd let some dark actor portray that role and not Will, especially since Will rumored to be on that faggotry ? .

I'd like to see a movie Biopic of Nat Turner or the first Haitian Revolution.
  • KingJamal
    edited April 2012
    Options
    If they really wanted to be trill with it they'd let some dark actor portray that role and not Will, especially since Will rumored to be on that faggotry ? .

Man pleez, don't believe that stupid ? .

And Will is of the few actors with enough clout to make this movie. I heard he was supposed to be producing it to.
  • Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KingJamal wrote: »

Man pleez, don't believe that stupid ? .

And Will is of the few actors with enough clout to make this movie. I heard he was supposed to be producing it to.

Iono Dun. I read and heard that for Black men in Hollywood especially, you wanna hang and make those dollars you gotta drop those draws and grab de ankles for a cracca.

That's another topic not tryin to derail, but I hope they do make this flick...
  • young chad
    young chad Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭
    Options
    As a black aspiring film maker I must say...it's refreshing to hear you guys say these things...

I whole heartedly agree and it's one of the goals I have...honestly we need a black film in every category..Horror/Action/Drama/Epic/Coming of Age....

Someone needs to get Jay Z, Beyonce, Diddy, Russel...? Babyface...get them mu ? 's to put up 5mil a piece and get ? started.

Crazy part is that Robert Townsend and Spike were on that ? like 20 years ago, the only difference is, I feel they were TOO "pro-black" and alienated other races from enjoying the films. I truly feel like if you make some genre films where the characters just so happen to be black but the themes are very much universal..you WILL make a profit.

Takers did a really good job at achieving this...and Drumline did as well a few years ago...too bad black people weren't Nick Cannon supporters because he was on his way with his film selections (Love Don't Cost a Thing, Drumline etc)
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    @harlem hustla
    Thanks for that movie drop with Sidney Poitier, I couldn't remember the name of it.

The Long Ships (1964) actually shows the Moors in the full garment that the Ku Klux ? would later adopt.
    the-long-ships-1964--645-75.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f8u9YAR_kA
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah will smith a fruit.....
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Safe House by Denzel Washington.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yo something else we need too is a coming of age black film - like American Pie or Superbad but without the gangs and guns tho. Like I understand that Menace and great movies like that represented the 80s but today we've come a long way, and honestly all those movies ended badly. Just a clean positive and yeah maybe comedic approach.

ATL was the closest thing we had to a coming-of age film in the contemporary era.
  • herbalism101
    herbalism101 Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can learn a lot more reading a book than watching a movie.....Just saying. In regards to the one film that the black community needs to have pride, X....... As for coming of age: The Wood, Roll Bounce, Crooklyn, The Inkwell, ATL(Which someone already mentioned)
  • KingJamal
    Options
    BoldChild wrote: »
    Blacks (mostly black women) need to stop buying up all those romance novels (which usually get turned into movies) and support black fantasy authors.

Maybe then we will get our own Harry potter, hunger games, twilight, etc.

Do u know of any great black fantasy books
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We also need a straight out action flick...like the classic Shwarzneggar flicks, or the more recent Statham type movies, starred by a titular black actor. The unfortunate thing is, we don't know any black actors that can play that action role and show with charisma, cuz black actors don't get any roles.

And don't say Michael Jai White...because while he has judo skills, he sucks as an actor. Will and Denzel are too old.

Isn't hollywood trying to make the Rock that guy?
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i wanna see a black version of underworld
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

The same Will Smith that once refused to kiss a man on camera because he was scared of what people would think?
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    young chad wrote: »
    As a black aspiring film maker I must say...it's refreshing to hear you guys say these things...

I whole heartedly agree and it's one of the goals I have...honestly we need a black film in every category..Horror/Action/Drama/Epic/Coming of Age....

Someone needs to get Jay Z, Beyonce, Diddy, Russel...? Babyface...get them mu ? 's to put up 5mil a piece and get ? started.

Crazy part is that Robert Townsend and Spike were on that ? like 20 years ago, the only difference is, I feel they were TOO "pro-black" and alienated other races from enjoying the films. I truly feel like if you make some genre films where the characters just so happen to be black but the themes are very much universal..you WILL make a profit.

Takers did a really good job at achieving this...and Drumline did as well a few years ago...too bad black people weren't Nick Cannon supporters because he was on his way with his film selections (Love Don't Cost a Thing, Drumline etc)

man. im an actor and this is all me and my friends talk about. its so damn frustrating but hopeful for something to work toward

• almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheIraq wrote: »

kind of. hes on that level where hes not seen as "black" but nonetheless
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheIraq wrote: »

kind of. hes on that level where hes not seen as "black" but nonetheless

Werent they tryin to push Welsey in that role in the 90's and with the Blade movies
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Y'all still don't get it?

Anything Hollywood makes about Black people will be ass-backwards, especially if it's historical.

If this Taharqa movie ever gets made, I guarantee they're going to make the Nubians mulattoes/light-skinned (with maybe a few token dark-skinned people) and the Egytians Arabs.

If I wasn't always getting dragged to the movie theatre I wouldn't ever watch another Hollywood movie.

We need our own Hollywood.
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    Why doesn't the black community have a hollywood?

Black people don't want to build, independent of Whites.