The Official 2011-2012 European Football Thread.

Options

Comments

• northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Balotelli: I won't leave City in summer
    Controversial Manchester City forward Mario Balotelli has insisted that he has no intention of leaving the club in the summer, while expressing his admiration for current manager Roberto Mancini.

- Mancini coy over Tevez future at City

Balotelli's future is never far from the agenda, but came sharply into focus after his latest indiscretion - a sending off in a dismal performance against Arsenal that left Mancini, usually his staunchest defender, acknowledging that he could be offloaded at the end of the campaign.

The Italian quickly retracted that statement, and Balotelli has now also moved to dismiss speculation linking him with a return to Italy at the next available opportunity.

"My future? Why do you always talk of Inter and Milan for me? I'm at City and I have no intention of changing shirt," Balotelli told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "Now I am just thinking about winning the title because I am sure that United will make mistakes.

"Certainly in the match with us, then, who knows.

"[Inter owner Massimo] Moratti always speaks well of me. I enjoy it, he has known me since I was 15. I thank him for that, but I am now at Manchester City and I see no other possibilities."

Balotelli admits that moving to England has been a challenging experience for him in a number of ways, but he feels working under Mancini is the best possible situation for him to be in.

"When I was at Inter Milan I called my mother to solve every little problem. Now I have to go it alone," he noted. "First of all I need to improve as a player. I am lucky to work with Mancini. He's one of the best coaches in the world, maybe the best.

"After my red card against Arsenal he feared a long ban so he spoke about me with some harsh words.

"But we have explained things to each other. I know he believes in me, as he always has done."

Balotelli's antics - both on and off the pitch - have led some to suggest he needs psychiatric help but the 20-year-old gave such ideas short shrift, saying instead that he felt misrepresented in the media and hoped over time they would begin to judge him only on his football.

"A psychologist for me? I believe psychologists are important. Sometimes they can be very useful, but I don't need one of them," he said. "Every day there is an exaggeration about me and I would like it to stop. I want to be judged for what I do on the field.

"I am a shy and simple guy. I like to have fun with my friends and I always try not to bother anyone."

• northside7
    Options
    Wenger accuses Wigan of time-wasting
    Arsene Wenger branded Roberto Martinez's Wigan side "disrespectful" for what the Arsenal boss viewed as a spell of time-wasting during Monday's 2-1 defeat at Emirates Stadium.

- Wilshere out of Euros
    -  Arsenal 1-2 Wigan
    - Wenger frustrated by performance

The Gunners found themselves two goals down inside the first ten minutes thanks to strikes from Franco di Santo and Jordi Gomez. From that moment on, despite Thomas Vermaelen halving the deficit, Wenger felt Wigan spent the remaining 80 minutes running down the clock.

Goalkeeper Ali Al-Habsi was booked for time-wasting in injury-time, but in general play Wigan created the clearer-cut opportunities in an impressive display that leaves them five points clear of the relegation zone.

Frustration was evident in the Arsenal camp at the final whistle, with Wenger failing to shake Martinez's hand while Robin van Persie squared up to Gary Caldwell. And Wenger insists the game was not played in the right spirit by the visitors.

"It is disrespectful to people who pay big money to watch the game," Wenger said.

"I told the fourth official, 'You know what, their goalkeeper will do it all game because he did it after 10 minutes and, with three minutes to go, he will get a yellow card'. That is exactly what happened.

"We are sorry we did not play well - but that the referees do not act on it is not right.

"I do not want to look for excuses. I congratulate Wigan, they did well, but whether it's tonight or in another game, the referee has to act."

The result capped a bad night for Arsenal, who lost Mikel Arteta with what Wenger described as a "serious" ankle problem, while Jack Wilshere is a confirmed absentee for the Euro 2012 Championship.

C/S..
  • northside7
    Options
    Alves: Chelsea 'lack courage
    Barcelona defender Dani Alves has turned up the heat ahead of Wednesday's Champions League semi-final with Chelsea, claiming the Premier League side play with fear and lack courage.

- Chelsea face injury problems
    - Blog: Chelsea talking points

Alves opened old wounds and claimed it wasn't the four plausible penalty appeals turned down by Norwegian referee Tom Henning Ovrebo that denied Chelsea victory when the two sides met at this stage of Europe's flagship competition in 2009, but the Blues unwillingness to attack despite being 1-0 up against ten-man.

Chelsea's then-boss Guus Hiddink claimed Ovrebo's performance in that semi-final second leg at Stamford Bridge was "the worst I have ever seen'' by a referee, and Didier Drogba and Jose Bosingwa were both sanctioned for protesting at the final whistle.

Andres Iniesta's stoppage-time strike earned Barcelona a 1-1 draw to send them through on away goals and Alves told The Guardian: "There is no doubt that was the hardest game we have played, with everything that was at stake, the moment and everything that happened.

"People say Chelsea could have won but for the referee but that is not our problem. We do not control the referees. We are there to play football, to compete and to try to reach the final. What can we do about the referee?

"Chelsea did not reach the final because of fear. The team that has got a man more, is playing at home and winning should have attacked us more. But of course, if you don't have that [attacking] concept of football that Barcelona have, you stay back and you get knocked out.

"You have to go forward. Stay back: losers. Go forward: winners. I think Chelsea lacked the courage to take a step forward and attack us. They paid for it."

Barcelona midfielder Iniesta is anticipating another tough night against Chelsea, but is hoping for a similar outcome to their last visit to Stamford Bridge.

The Spain international said: "It's painful to be knocked out so close to the final. Now we are facing each other again and undoubtedly their desire to beat us and be in the Champions League final will be significant.

"We hope that things will turn out well for us again this time.

"We are going there with the intention of winning, to have a good game and commit as few mistakes as possible, as in the Champions League they are very costly. We always go out to win. We know that it is a knock-out tie and there is a return game, but our only intention is to win.

"It will be a tough 90 minutes. Chelsea are more experienced now, inevitably, and they have also changed some players. They have Fernando (Torres), (Juan) Mata and some other young players. Chelsea were very strong that year and the will be this year as well.

"They are very dangerous, very intense, and that will by multiplied in their stadium due to the atmosphere. We are expecting a very tough tie.''

Iniesta also warned of the threat posed by some of Chelsea elder statesmen, such as Didier Drogba and Frank Lampard.

"They are dangerous for who they are, not because they are older or that it could be their last opportunity to win the Champions League,'' he said.

"You have to respect them because they are great players and right now are in a very good moment. I think it's going to be a very nice tie.''

I expect back 2 back Ls for the ? ..
  • northside7
    Options
    Wilshere 'gutted' to miss out
    Jack Wilshere says he is 'gutted and devastated' after being ruled out for the rest of Arsenal's season and England's Euro 2012 challenge.
    The midfielder has not played for Arsenal this season due to an ankle injury, but was hoping to figure before the end of the campaign and boost England's options in Poland and Ukraine.
    But manager Arsene Wenger confirmed after the 2-1 defeat to Wigan that the 20-year-old will not play again until next season while also ruling him out of representing Team GB at the Olympics.
    "Gutted, sad, devastated..its been a test mentally for me this season and it will continue to be tough until I am back out on the pitch," Wilshere wrote on his Twitter page.
    "My ankle is good, I just have a few niggles and having been out so long I will not be fit enough for the Euro's!
    "I hope England can do well and bring home the cup! I will be watching and cheering the boys on like a proper England fan!
    "The hardest thing is being away from the game that I love and not being to able to help my team mates get 3rd place! I will be in all summer.
    "Trying to get fit so I can help the team next season! No holidays, I just want to play and show AFC fans what I can do!"

Looking forward to it..
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »
    Barcelona defender Dani Alves has turned up the heat ahead of Wednesday's Champions League semi-final with Chelsea, claiming the Premier League side play with fear and lack courage.

Alves opened old wounds and claimed it wasn't the four plausible penalty appeals turned down by Norwegian referee Tom Henning Ovrebo that denied Chelsea victory when the two sides met at this stage of Europe's flagship competition in 2009, but the Blues unwillingness to attack despite being 1-0 up against ten-man.

Chelsea's then-boss Guus Hiddink claimed Ovrebo's performance in that semi-final second leg at Stamford Bridge was "the worst I have ever seen'' by a referee, and Didier Drogba and Jose Bosingwa were both sanctioned for protesting at the final whistle.

Andres Iniesta's stoppage-time strike earned Barcelona a 1-1 draw to send them through on away goals and Alves told The Guardian: "There is no doubt that was the hardest game we have played, with everything that was at stake, the moment and everything that happened.

"People say Chelsea could have won but for the referee but that is not our problem. We do not control the referees. We are there to play football, to compete and to try to reach the final. What can we do about the referee?

"Chelsea did not reach the final because of fear. The team that has got a man more, is playing at home and winning should have attacked us more. But of course, if you don't have that [attacking] concept of football that Barcelona have, you stay back and you get knocked out.

"You have to go forward. Stay back: losers. Go forward: winners. I think Chelsea lacked the courage to take a step forward and attack us. They paid for it."

Barcelona midfielder Iniesta is anticipating another tough night against Chelsea, but is hoping for a similar outcome to their last visit to Stamford Bridge.

The Spain international said: "It's painful to be knocked out so close to the final. Now we are facing each other again and undoubtedly their desire to beat us and be in the Champions League final will be significant.

"We are going there with the intention of winning, to have a good game and commit as few mistakes as possible, as in the Champions League they are very costly. We always go out to win. We know that it is a knock-out tie and there is a return game, but our only intention is to win.

"It will be a tough 90 minutes. Chelsea are more experienced now, inevitably, and they have also changed some players. They have Fernando (Torres), (Juan) Mata and some other young players. Chelsea were very strong that year and the will be this year as well.

"They are very dangerous, very intense, and that will by multiplied in their stadium due to the atmosphere. We are expecting a very tough tie.''

Iniesta also warned of the threat posed by some of Chelsea elder statesmen, such as Didier Drogba and Frank Lampard.

"They are dangerous for who they are, not because they are older or that it could be their last opportunity to win the Champions League,'' he said.

"You have to respect them because they are great players and right now are in a very good moment. I think it's going to be a very nice tie.''

Lavezzi of Napoli talked ? before the 2nd leg at the Bridge ........... went down 4-1
    Bale talked ? before Sunday's FA Cup semi ............. went down 5-1

Keep talking Dani. Keep talking
  • northside7
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »

Lavezzi of Napoli talked ? before the 2nd leg at the Bridge ........... went down 4-1
    Bale talked ? before Sunday's FA Cup semi ............. went down 5-1

Keep talking Dani. Keep talking

I hear dat but barca is a different beast. Gotta bring your "A" game for a full 90 minutes..
  • joshuaboy
    Options
    Van Persie cools off after Arsenal woe with late-night visit to Barcelona team hotel

After losing his temper against Wigan, Robin van Persie decided to cool off with a visit to the Barcelona team hotel on Monday night.

The Arsenal striker - who refused to shake Gary Caldwell’s hand at the end of their shock 2-1 home defeat to lowly Wigan - was pictured leaving the Marriott hotel on Park Lane.

It is not yet known why Van Persie took the trip to the base of the Spanish giants, who are in London ahead of Wednesday’s Champions League semi-final first leg with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

The Dutchman was spotted chatting with fellow countryman Ibrahim Afellay, who is part of the Barca party in the capital.

Van Persie may have also used the trip to catch up with his old Gunners pal Cesc Fabregas, who left the Emirates to rejoin his boyhood club last summer.

However, Arsenal fans will fear that his friendliness with the Barcelona team will only increase his chances of moving to the Nou Camp at the end of the season.

Van Persie has just one year remaining on his deal and has yet to commit his future to the Barclays Premier League side as they attempt to persuade him not to follow big names such as Fabregas and Samir Nasri out of the club.

Although Barcelona have a string of top-quality attackers, they would be interested in Van Persie if he was up for grabs.

Manchester City and Real Madrid are also keen to land him this summer - and both clubs would happily double his wages to close to £200,000 per week.

In a bid to convince Van Persie to stay, boss Arsene Wenger has already secured an £11m deal for Germany striker Lukas Podolski.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2130931/Robin-van-Persie-visits-Barcelona-team-hotel.html#ixzz1sJTP7tUI

• northside7
    Options
    He wanted to visit his homies, no problem.

If he leaves, he leaves. We'll regroup and win trophies.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    Damn my boy Alves ethered Chelsea lol
  • Figo
    Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    any streaming site for the game??
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL at Ronaldo the step over king, dude needs to step up his skillset. Watch the real Ronaldo
  • infamous114
    Options
    Pretty good game...wouldn't be too concerned if I were Real Madrid
  • Figo
    Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its over for bayern. dem aint winning ? this season
  • joshuaboy
    Options
  • infamous114
    edited April 2012
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    545053_345302748861980_309369765788612_1009571_948447037_n.jpg

My squad is gonna light yall boys up tomorrow...
  • northside7
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Ramario disses Brazil national team, then Messi
    Romario: I was better than Messi
    SAO PAULO -- Former star Romario says Brazil wouldn't get past the group stage of the World Cup if the competition were played today. What's more, he insists he's one of the three best players in soccer history.

Now a congressman, Romario used an expletive to describe what he thinks about Brazil's national team and said coach Mano Menezes needs more time to form his squad.

"If the World Cup was today, we would be eliminated in the first stage," Romario said in Tuesday's Rio de Janeiro daily O Dia. "I would pick the same players as Mano, but it's not working. One of the motives is lack of time. To prepare a national team you need time to practice."

Romario said it's a mistake to have Menezes coach Brazil during the Olympics, and he will run the risk of losing his job if Brazil fails to do well in London.

Romario said it would be better if the team were coached by Ney Franco, who is in charge of Brazil's youth squads. Brazil is under pressure to win the under-23 tournament because it's the only significant soccer competition it is yet to win.

Romario, who led Brazil to the 1994 World Cup title in the United States, said he would like to see former South Africa coach Joel Santana in charge if Menezes is fired.

"He is the best coach I've ever played for," the 46-year-old Romario said, referring to the Brazilian.

Romario said he was "by far" better than Argentina's Lionel Messi and said he can be compared to the best players of all time, along with Pele and Diego Maradona.

"Messi is a good player, but I'm in the top three: It's me, Pele and Maradona. I would include (Zinedine) Zidane in that list, too," he said.

Romario has been heavily criticizing Brazil's preparations for the 2014 World Cup and said delays in improving urban mobility is the biggest concern.

"The rich fan who will come to the World Cup will be fine. He will arrive on a private jet, use private cars and will stay at the best hotels," Romario said. "But the poorer football fans will be left out."
  • Cathleen81
    Cathleen81 Members Posts: 4
    Options
    I hoping Jose sorts the team and makes that happen (if Arsenal don't win the CL of course)avatar4.jpg
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Options
    lmao Bayern FTW son, Mourinho's defense subs ? their game up, there was no reason for them to make them subs, should have relied on their own strenght imo. Real some bad losers though, Marcelo lucky he didn't get a red card with that tackle on Muller. Ramos all frustrated and ? lol. not a good look for el clasico.

Ribery man of the match, Robben and Ronaldo didn't show much....it was quite a sloppy match, real physical both teams couldn't really build up attacks/midfields had an offday lol. fun match though

Chelsea better bring their A game cause I'm tired of this Barca hegemony, everybody around here seems to expect a walk over for Barca, I'm rootin for the Blues though! get innnnnnnnnnnnnnnn Essien, Lampard, all them old ? 's
  • Alkindus
    Options
    Cathleen81 wrote: »
    I hoping Jose sorts the team and makes that happen (if Arsenal don't win the CL of course)avatar4.jpg

well, well , well.....another victim of the Arsenal drought, gettin all delusional and ? , Arsenal already out of the CL, wake up sonnnn
  • Alkindus
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Ramario disses Brazil national team, then Messi
    Romario: I was better than Messi
    SAO PAULO -- Former star Romario says Brazil wouldn't get past the group stage of the World Cup if the competition were played today. What's more, he insists he's one of the three best players in soccer history.

Now a congressman, Romario used an expletive to describe what he thinks about Brazil's national team and said coach Mano Menezes needs more time to form his squad.

"If the World Cup was today, we would be eliminated in the first stage," Romario said in Tuesday's Rio de Janeiro daily O Dia. "I would pick the same players as Mano, but it's not working. One of the motives is lack of time. To prepare a national team you need time to practice."

Romario said it's a mistake to have Menezes coach Brazil during the Olympics, and he will run the risk of losing his job if Brazil fails to do well in London.

Romario said it would be better if the team were coached by Ney Franco, who is in charge of Brazil's youth squads. Brazil is under pressure to win the under-23 tournament because it's the only significant soccer competition it is yet to win.

Romario, who led Brazil to the 1994 World Cup title in the United States, said he would like to see former South Africa coach Joel Santana in charge if Menezes is fired.

"He is the best coach I've ever played for," the 46-year-old Romario said, referring to the Brazilian.

Romario said he was "by far" better than Argentina's Lionel Messi and said he can be compared to the best players of all time, along with Pele and Diego Maradona.

"Messi is a good player, but I'm in the top three: It's me, Pele and Maradona. I would include (Zinedine) Zidane in that list, too," he said.

Romario has been heavily criticizing Brazil's preparations for the 2014 World Cup and said delays in improving urban mobility is the biggest concern.

"The rich fan who will come to the World Cup will be fine. He will arrive on a private jet, use private cars and will stay at the best hotels," Romario said. "But the poorer football fans will be left out."

lmao I remember back in the day dude said he ? over a 1000 chica's. I see he hasn't lost his sense of humor lol

besides, everybody knows that 1994 world cup: Roberto Baggio's Italy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Romario's Brazil, Brazil was lucky in the final.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Grrrrrrrr We (brighton) played so ? against Watford last night, We gave them the ball thru so many unforced errors and let the win ? unchallenged in the air... We done all the attacking, but they got the ball when We gave it to them, think they hardly even tackled us... Watford, like Reading wasted time, dived and cheated, got A weak penalty and our ? 3rd choice keeper onloan from Manchester Shity was terrible and let A weak set piece in... Saying that We came back from 2 down to draw 2-2 lol

Jack Wiltshire's Injury >>>>>>>>> Vermalen's Injury

• Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Projected Chelsea Lineup (4-2-3-1): Petr Cech; Ashley Cole, John Terry, Gary Cahill, Branislav Ivanovic; John Obi Mikel, Frank Lampard; Salomon Kalou, Juan Mata, Ramires; Didier Drogba

Projected Barcelona Lineup (4-3-3): Victor Valdés; Carles Puyol, Gerard Pique, Javier Mascherano, Daniel Alves; Sergio Busquets, Xavi Hernández, Andrés Iniesta; Cesc Fabregas, Lionel Messi, Alexis Sánchez

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2012/4/17/2955564/barcelona-vs-chelsea-uefa-champions-league-semifinal-2012
  • northside7
    Options
    Ovrebo: My errors cost Chelsea in 2009

Tom Henning Ovrebo, the referee of the controversial Champions League semi-final between Chelsea and Barcelona in 2009, has admitted that he made mistakes in the game that denied the Premier League side a place in the final.

- Hoddle: Pragmatic Blues can beat Barca
    - Fabregas taunts long-ball Chelsea
    - Guardiola: Chelsea link a fantasy
    - Alves: Blues play with fear

Ovrebo found himself at the centre of a firestorm at Stamford Bridge at the end of the second leg three years ago, having rejected four reasonable penalty claims from the home side - then managed by Guus Hiddink - during the 90 minutes, as they eventually went out to Andres Iniesta's last-minute strike.

The Norwegian official was confronted by Michael Ballack and Didier Drogba even before the final whistle, and subsequently received death threats from a section of irate Chelsea fans. Ovrebo has now revealed that he still receives threatening messages, and has admitted that he did not enforce the laws correctly during the game at Stamford Bridge.

"I still get a few death threats, but they go straight into the garbage box. I don't take them seriously, although sometimes I wonder about the people who send them," Ovrebo told The Times. "Just yesterday I got an email from a Chelsea fan saying he wanted to ? me and my family.

"Everyone who knows the laws of the game knows I should have done things differently, but that's the life of a referee. In a strange way, I was actually satisfied with the way we all managed to keep calm in a tense situation."

He added: "On the pitch I did my best. I shouldn't have to apologise as mistakes are part of the game."

Drogba was subsequently given a five-game ban by UEFA for his outburst at the final whistle, with team-mate Jose Bosingwa given a three-game suspension. Ovrebo feels no ill-will towards the Ivorian, however, after the pair reconciled their differences at the disciplinary hearing.

"It was a very challenging match and with the angry scenes after the final whistle it became less enjoyable," Ovrebo noted. "Some players got too emotional and behaved badly, but no one got killed. It's important to put it into perspective.

"It helped me as a referee ... if I can cope with Drogba screaming at me, I can cope with anything - although he's a nice guy, really."

The Blues have the chance to gain revenge on the Spanish club, as they face them in the Champions League semi-finals again this season. The first leg takes place at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday

It was probably one of our resident chelski fans lol
  • infamous114
    Options
    Here we go...Visca Barca