Unnamed 'scouts' taking killshots at RG3....

Options
FroHawke
FroHawke Members Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
This year, with the Redskins in the process of converting their penciled-in selection of Griffin to tattoo ink, Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel shares some negative views on Griffin, from multiple unnamed scouts.

“‘Everybody is just assuming because of the Heisman and the socks and all that bs. . . . they are ignoring a lot of bad tape that he’s had,’” one scout told McGinn. “‘I don’t think he has vision or pocket feel, which to me are the two most important components of quarterbacking. He’s just running around winging it. He’s [Michael] Vick, but not as good a thrower.’

“He has better arm action and is more accurate with his deep ball, but he’s not as good as Cam Newton,” another scout said. “As much as is written about his athleticism, his athleticism under duress in the pocket isn’t even close to Cam Newton’s. This guy, the only way he gets big plays with his feet is if he’s got a wide-open field and the sea opens for him. He’s got a little bit of a selfish streak, too. Everybody was laying on Cam, but for some reason this guy has become gloves off. He doesn’t treat anybody good.”

Another scout “questioned the way Griffin deals with people.”

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/draftcaps19-vn4vq55-148026515.html

Surprising to say the least....never heard anything close to controversial about this guy at Baylor, now this close to the draft we have scouts comin out sayin all this once ppl start talking about him possibly unseating Luck as the top QB. Smh

Comments

• detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i dont listen to unnamed scouts
  • Figo
    Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    unnamed scouts? irrelevancy
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You'd have to be a fool to believe this isn't coming from the Colts. This happened right around when they said they were taking luck. It's obviously a ploy to make the colts fans get totally behind the Luck selection over Griffin
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How they gonna say he doesn't have vision or pocket prescense. He had a 73% completion percentage last year.
  • FroHawke
    Options
    NFL.com writer today on twitter:

Albert Breer ‏ @AlbertBreer Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    ... Not that Griffin's a bad guy, but that there is a bit of a sense of entitlement there, and perception is off.
    10h

I've heard these rumblings too. RT @evansilva: Quotes from scouts on RG3: "He's got a little bit of a selfish streak." 10h
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't respect anybody who can't put they name by what they say
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NFL.com writer today on twitter:

... Not that Griffin's a bad guy, but that there is a bit of a sense of entitlement there, and perception is off.
    10h

I've heard these rumblings too. RT @evansilva: Quotes from scouts on RG3: "He's got a little bit of a selfish streak." 10h

All that talk about Cam's character and work ethic last year, and look what happened. I don't and won't believe none of these 'reporters' till i see it with my own eyes. Dude is going to be a beast.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol hop the ? off RG3s ?

y'all hear one bit of criticism and now ? hits the fan
  • FroHawke
    Options
    Funny how QBs like Cam Newton, RG3 and VY get all these behind the scenes unnamed sources saying this and that about their character but you get Andrew Luck who apparently is ? 's great gift to football.

People were killing Cam for the laptop thing last year when it happened years ago at a different school, while the critiscm of Blaine Gabbert, who had been tokin it up hard before the draft, was virtually nonexistent.
  • Matt-
    Options
    Funny how QBs like Cam Newton, RG3 and VY get all these behind the scenes unnamed sources saying this and that about their character but you get Andrew Luck who apparently is ? 's great gift to football.

People were killing Cam for the laptop thing last year when it happened years ago at a different school, while the critiscm of Blaine Gabbert, who had been tokin it up hard before the draft, was virtually nonexistent.

Funny how Ryan Mallet got the character issue label for wanting to be a gangster

• Matt-
    Options
    Funny how Eli manning and John Elway both were labeled as spoiled brats
  • FroHawke
    Options
    matt- wrote: »

Not pre-draft. Once they orchestrated their whole 'I don't want to play for this team' thing, then thats when it started. Which is fair, because they made those decisions.
  • Matt-
    Options

Not pre-draft. Once they orchestrated their whole 'I don't want to play for this team' thing, then thats when it started. Which is fair, because they made those decisions.

Point being, all these guys, especially qbs are under the microscope. And a lot of this has to do with public relations. Just look at the timing of this... If it were a legit concern among real scouts, it would have come out a long time ago

• CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its obviously done so teams second guess themshelves so the the team that particular scout is biased for can maybe benifit and get that player, it happens every year during draft week
  • blacklsoldier
    blacklsoldier Members Posts: 899
    Options
    Ole white people...it never fails!
  • Matt-
    Options
    Mel kiper etc..... All these dudes getting paid to hype or not hype certain players
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Colts are set on Luck, Skins are set on Griffin. Who cares what anyone besides Washington thinks at this point?
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ "being Vick but not as good a thrower"
    If anything, he's far more accurate than Vick.
    These un-named scouts were probably Colts affiliated with intention to trash RG3, for not wanting to work out for them.
  • FroHawke
    edited April 2012
    Options
    The NFL.com reporter taking heat from a Baylor employee who dealt with RGIII on a day to day basis

Heath Nielsen ‏ @HeathNielsen · Open
    .@AlbertBreer your bio lists you as "reporter", rather than speculate, why not ASK Baylor employees about RG3? He's LOVED at Baylor.
    12h
    Albert Breer ‏ @AlbertBreer · Open
    @HeathNielsen Ok. You're credible, since you work there. I'm going on what I'm told by NFL scouts/execs. Tell me what you think, I'll RT you
    12h
    @AlbertBreer I've dealt w Rob for yrs in all situations, he & his family are salt of the earth. Dont mistake drive & confidence. He's loved.
    12h
    Albert Breer ‏ @AlbertBreer · Open
    @HeathNielsen Thank you. Again, I'm going on what NFL folks have on the kid. That perception exists, and is sitting on scouting reports.
    12h
    @AlbertBreer Looks like Baylor Nation is going to give you an earful today. Indicative of how beloved this guy is.

Albert Breer ‏ @AlbertBreer Close
    @HeathNielsen I can take it. I know the public down there loves him. Don't shoot the messenger!

Breer also states that the scouts aren't affiliated with the Colts...

Tyler Jeffries ‏ @TylerCJeffries · Open
    @AlbertBreer that sounds like jilted Colts scouts. Reviews have been nothing short of gushing so far

Albert Breer ‏ @AlbertBreer Close
    @TylerCJeffries Nope. The guys I heard it from don't work for the Colts. Nor are they connected to Indy in any way.
  • Matt-
    Options
    Why would they tell these guys they are affiliated with the colts?

If this was such an obvious issue, it would have came out long ago. Probably 90% of per draft rumors are completely fabricated or overblown and agents, talking heads, and team officials are at the root of most of this ? .
  • Matt-
    Options
    Lol @ whoever thinks kiper isn't on agents payrolls
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That was exposed and swept under the rug last yr....
  • FroHawke
    Options

How Kiper continues to work for ESPN with that fact known is a complete embarrassment to that company. Kiper was an idiot, now he's just one with no cred whatsoever.

• Matt-
    Options

How Kiper continues to work for ESPN with that fact known is a complete embarrassment to that company. Kiper was an idiot, now he's just one with no cred whatsoever.

And he can't be the only one. In a way, it exposed the whole industry and hustle of pre draft ramblings.