Burger King Prepping New Bacon Sundae

Options
Bully_Pulpit
Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
sundae-top.jpg?t=1334256268&s=3
Is Burger King's new bacon sundae a delightful concept, or the most recent example of all that's wrong about American food?

That's pretty much the divide in opinion here at Salt Central, as well as in online forums and social media, where the bacon sundae is inspiring fierce debate. "Really? I know sales are low and all but REALLY?" questioned one Twitter skeptic. "Americans eat death, pay for the privilege," added another. Countered by an enthusiast who typed: "IT'S ABOUT TIME!"

That's a lot of passion for a $2.49 menu item available only at a handful of Burger Kings in Nashville, Tenn. "The company is currently testing menu items in a small sampling of U.S. restaurants," spokesperson Randi Farynyk told The Salt. "The brand does not have plans to expand the test to additional markets at this time."

Drat. Count me among the staffers here who said "Yeah!" when the sweet-salty-savory news broke. Since NPR wasn't popping for a road trip, I had to turn to Sam Bradley, a 27-year-old Nashville resident I found on Twitter, for confirmation. She had already trundled over to her local Burger King to check it out.

Bradley wasn't wowed by the two whole pieces of bacon poked into the ice cream. "If they chopped and mixed it in, it would be better," she reported. "But over all I would say it's a success."

A close encounter with the Burger King bacon sundae.
She would know. She'd already tested Jack in the Box's bacon milkshake, which is made with "bacon flavored syrup." The verdict: "It was terrible, because it was fake flavor."
npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/04/12/150502365/the-bacon-sundae-brilliant-or-tragic

Yuck, I love bacon as much as the next human being but thats just too much. I can feel the heartburn just looking at that ish.

Comments