Who won the Token-White-Artist sweepstakes over the last year (Top-10)

Options
H-Rap 180
H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in The Reason
T.I.-Iggy-Azalea.jpg

This last year has been busy in HipHop...with sales slumping and only a handful of Platinum artists left its time to quit bullshittin' and start catering to the consumers and pandering to the "buying demographic", ...if we wanna sell some records that is.

How the ? are we going to get the majority-consumers to buy HipHop albums when they can just download them ? for free?

Well first you wanna get their attention and make them feel like they are a part of the Music and the Movement and the easiest way to do that is to include people who look like them on our albums and labels.

So lets take a glance at this relatively new phase in HipHop over the past year:
lets look at the Top 10 Token signees over the last year and see which label snatched up the best prospect:

MGK to Badboy (2011)

K-KoKe to Roc Nation (2011)

Asher Roth to Def Jam (2011)

KreayShawn to Interscope (2011)

Yelawolf to Shady/Aftermath (2011)

DJ Pauly D to G-Unit/Interscope (2011)

N/A to Maybach Music Group (2008-2012)

Amber Rose to Taylor Gang records (2011) *Artist removed due to derail issues and ADHD*

Wrekonize/Mayday to Strange Music (2011)

Limp Bizkit to YMCMB (2012)

Iggy Azelia to Grand Hustle/Atlantic/Interscope (2012)

THERES YOUR TOP TEN:

*Honorable Mention 4 year*

Mr Hudson* Good Music/Def Jam (2008)

White* Corporate Thugz Entertainmnt (2010)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzRCBXlhShA

Comments

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    inb4 thread blows up with feelings. Idk why people consider Amber Rose white but consider every other person with one black father and one white parent black/mixed
  • H-Rap 180
    Options
    inb4 thread blows up with feelings. Idk why people consider Amber Rose white but consider every other person with one black father and one white parent black/mixed

doesent she have a white father and a mixed-race mother?

amber-rose-charley-gallay-wi-genart.jpg

White skin and blonde hair 3 quarters white and shes Black all of a sudden.....damn homie Black genes must be mighty strong or either the One-Drop-Rule still applies for Quadroons
    :-\"
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »

White skin and blonde hair 3 quarters white and shes Black all of a sudden.....damn homie Black genes must be mighty strong or either the One-Drop-Rule still applies for Quadroons

lol, black genes are strong. I thought her father was black, apparently she is half Cape Verdean so she would be of primarily African descent i guess. idk
  • H-Rap 180
    edited April 2012
    Options

lol, black genes are strong. I thought her father was black, apparently she is half Cape Verdean so she would be of primarily African descent i guess. idk

1298298448amber_rose_parents.jpg

Imagine if Halle Berry and Billy-Bob Thorton had a baby:

38471_la.jpg

CAPE VERDIAN: The country has an estimated population (most of creole ethnicity) of about 500,000, with its capital city Praia accounting for a quarter of its citizens.

One big happy family,,,,Dad & Brothers
  •  Goons?
    Goons? Members Posts: 36
    Options
    all them artist suck really. but id say MGK could have a chance at more commercial success than the others. its a damn shame that all these labels lookin for the easiest gimmick to market instead of takin the time to develop artists who are relevant to the culture. good thread graft.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

1298298448amber_rose_parents.jpg

Imagine if Halle Berry and Billy-Bob Thorton had a baby:

38471_la.jpg

CAPE VERDIAN: The country has an estimated population (most of creole ethnicity) of about 500,000, with its capital city Praia accounting for a quarter of its citizens.

One big happy family,,,,Dad & Brothers

well damn
  • birdcallaveli
    birdcallaveli Members Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i guess amber rose is the white of the year since she drops the n word like plies and birdman wrote her lines, and nobody cares.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    Lol all the Cape Verdeans i know are of primarily African descent
  • H-Rap 180
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Please accept my apologies for derailing the thread with sideways ? but the question I posed might be a little too difficult for the average poster to answer.
    Goons? wrote: »
    all them artist suck really. but id say MGK could have a chance at more commercial success than the others. its a damn shame that all these labels lookin for the easiest gimmick to market instead of takin the time to develop artists who are relevant to the culture. good thread graft.

I appreciate the feedback and your ability to stay on topic by answering the question.....I was worried for a second that you were going to debate if Pauly D had some Moorish ancestry due to his Italian lineage or that Yelawolf is one-quarter Cherokee and therefore Non-white and irrelevant to the premise of the thread.

• Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote:

MGK

K-KoKe

Asher Roth

KreayShawn

Yelawolf

DJ Pauly D

Amber Rose

Wrekonize/Mayday

Limp Bizkit

Iggy Azelia

Thats a corny ass lineup right there
  •  Goons?
    Options
    Please accept my apologies for derailing the thread with sideways ? but the question I posed might be a little too difficult for the average poster to answer.

I appreciate the feedback and your ability to stay on topic by answering the question.....I was worried for a second that you were going to debate if Pauly D had some Moorish ancestry due to his Italian lineage or that Yelawolf is one-quarter Cherokee and therefore Non-white and irrelevant to the premise of the thread.

whats your take on this? who you think gonna be the first to blow up?
  • H-Rap 180
    Options

I appreciate the feedback and your ability to stay on topic by answering the question.....I was worried for a second that you were going to debate if Pauly D had some Moorish ancestry due to his Italian lineage or that Yelawolf is one-quarter Cheroke

I havent ranked them from 1-10 yet but MGK has the most organic appeal and IMO the hottest song "Wildboyz" but the machine is pushing this Iggy chick mighty heavy.

The true winner in the sweepstakes is an artist I didn't even mention: Mac Miller....Mac Miller had 5 songs chart on Billboard since 2011 and an album that sold 300K on an Indie! So he's going to get some Major-deal offers for crazy money in 2012 just watch.

It's a new day.

• Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LMAO @ me thinking this was an actual contest *facepalm*

None of them dudes/chicks are selling... hip hop is safe *shrugs*

Asher Roth is dope though... the rest of them, meh. Is that the Iggy chick in the OP pic with TI? If so, smh. ? look like she about to pick up a guitar and serenade some birds and ? .
  •  Goons?
    Options

I appreciate the feedback and your ability to stay on topic by answering the question.....I was worried for a second that you were going to debate if Pauly D had some Moorish ancestry due to his Italian lineage or that Yelawolf is one-quarter Cheroke

I havent ranked them from 1-10 yet but MGK has the most organic appeal and IMO the hottest song "Wildboyz" but the machine is pushing this Iggy chick mighty heavy.

The true winner in the sweepstakes is an artist I didn't even mention: Mac Miller....Mac Miller had 5 songs chart on Billboard since 2011 and an album that sold 300K on an Indie! So he's going to get some Major-deal offers for crazy money in 2012 just watch.

It's a new day.

i forgot about Wack Millers sales. I still dont get how he sold what he sold without a major pushin him. i know he got the white appeal but still. He must have hired a talented marketer for his ? .
  • H-Rap 180
    Options

It's a new day.

i forgot about Wack Millers sales. I still dont get how he sold what he sold without a major pushin him. i know he got the white appeal but still. He must have hired a talented marketer for his ? .

Combination of things.

Hes another P.A. dude like Asher, Wiz and Meek and for some odd reason they get a lot I love from the MidWest demographic and the College crowds, his mix tapes did numbers, he stays on tour and he made the Freshmen list and he got some pretty heavy co-signs outside of HipHop.

LOL they just said he's gonna be on 106 & Park tomorrow with Cassie, so yeah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74TFS8r_SMI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

.......and it didn't hurt that his song "Donald Trump" has 55 million views on YouTube.

• DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Funny how you claim this yet your posts about amber's ancestry were much longer and more detailed than Black Jerry's. I also didn't see him digging up pictures of her family either. strange.

• H-Rap 180
    Options

Funny how you claim this yet your posts about amber's ancestry were much longer and more detailed than Black Jerry's. I also didn't see him digging up pictures of her family either. strange.

It's funny yet strange that you chose to address a post I made directed at another poster instead of answering the Thread Topic.

It may be safe to assume that you lack the intelligence or attention-span to address the actual thread premise and would prefer to engage in off-topic banter that has nothing to do with the question posed in the OP. Strange.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's funny yet strange that you chose to address a post I made directed at another poster instead of answering the Thread Topic.

It may be safe to assume that you lack the intelligence or attention-span to address the actual thread premise and would prefer to engage in off-topic banter that has nothing to do with the question posed in the OP. Strange.

lmao intelligence? for this thread? man please. you're the same guy always conversing with gee, the ic's version of the village idiot. and let's not even act like this thread is actually for any intelligent discussion, its yet another thinly-veiled h-rap's very own "im an angry black man and i hate whites" thread. but go ahead man, live how you want to in this imaginary internet world where you've made up some great character of how you really want to be. none of us are stopping you.
  • H-Rap 180
    edited April 2012
    Options
    A lot of feelings and emotions from whites hiding behind avatars of Black men....

Sensitive and emotional outsiders may find it difficult to look at a list of ten rappers/labels and pick the Label/Artist who has the best chance at succses.

Wanna-bee's would rather name-drop and be the "Sensitive white guy who just wants to e-chat with a Black dude" while living vicariously behind pics of their rap-heroes instead of addressing the topic or simply ignoring the topic.

Sad how predictable these fellows are.
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I dont like none of em

The ONLY white rapper besides em i ever found acceptable was paul wall

but that geek mac miller and methhead mgk seem the most likely to succeed
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i wonder if white artists had this much persecution back when they were trying to get into jazz
  • H-Rap 180
    Options
    Kushington wrote: »
    I dont like none of em

I appreciate you contributing to the thread and acknowledging the question the thread posed.

I was worried for a second that you would debate about MGK being on the list since his original language is Arabic.

• Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont like none of em

I appreciate you contributing to the thread and acknowledging the question the thread posed.

I was worried for a second that you would debate about MGK being on the list since his original language is Arabic.

????

MGK is an arab?
  • H-Rap 180
    Options
    I dont like none of em

????

MGK is an arab?

Naw, but I seen this Hood DVD were he was saying how his original language was Arabic and he was born in Africa or some ? , LOL, I gotta watch it again he might be a Berber.

• P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man that Iggy ? look like Louis Amundson. Tip dead wrong for that ? . His daughter got a nice lil thing going with the ? Girls. Put some more bread behind that instead