Laxmi Sargara, now 18, was just 1 when her family married her off to Rakesh, 3, Has marriage annuled

Options
KingJamal
KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/child-bride-marriage-annulled-laxmi-sargara-hero-day-180800827.html

470_2340768.0
At an age when most kids are learning to walk, Laxmi Sargara was already married. Her husband, Rakesh, was just three-years-old when family sealed the deal on their fate. She was one

WTF is wrong with these people. How could u marry off ur kid at 1????

Comments

• Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    arranged marriages
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's their culture. You can't knock someones culture just because it's different then yours.
  • KingJamal
    Options
    Kushington wrote: »
    arranged marriages

But at 1 and 3??? I never heard of something like that.
  • KingJamal
    Options
    It's their culture. You can't knock someones culture just because it's different then yours.

Yes the hell I can
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? was merely a financial agreement.
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »

very similar to traditional american marriages

• fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    haute wrote: »

very similar to tradition american marriages

Real ? ? , Disney has ? ? 's heads up.

Marrying for "love"<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<______________
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What tradition is that?
  • KingJamal
    Options

What tradition is that?

Yea I didn't know it was a tradition for 1 year olds to get married
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What tradition is that?

Not out of true love but more for financial security.
  • haute
    edited April 2012
    Options
    traditional american women are trained at an early age to find a suitor who has the best ability to care for her and her family

Eastern cultures simply jump the gun and do it for their daughters, so they don't risk her making the decision to wed a broke ass ? or give birth to a broke ass ? baby, like we do here

but the desired results are the same, marry someone who does better than what you or your family can offer
  • KingJamal
    Options
    traditional american women are trained at an early age to find a suitor who has the best ability to care for her and her family

Eastern cultures simply jump the gun and do it for their daughters, so they don't risk her making the decision to wed broke ass ? or give birth to broke ass ? baby, like we do here

but the desired results are the same, marry someone who does better than what you or your family can offer

Yea but with toddlers tho lol
  • zay_24
    zay_24 Members Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ the rest of the world being civilized compare to western society. This is why i look down on those 3rd world bums
  • haute
    Options
    who knows how broke those families were

but they planned to marry her off at some point before she hit 16

at that point her age is ? semantics

• 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I made some Jalfrezi Curry Chicken yesterday. With Jasmine rice.

I'm ? right now. Probably the last pieces of that.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    if ? like this was to go down in the U.S ? would be crazy..? ending up with a fat ? as a wife and half of gone by the time he's 20
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options

Eastern cultures simply jump the gun and do it for their daughters, so they don't risk her making the decision to wed a broke ass ? or give birth to a broke ass ? baby, like we do here

Come on now (@ the bolded) - why can't it be a broke ass ? ?

Real talk, I've known a lot of Indians (Eastern) who've had arranged marriages - and both the husband and wife were working. It wasn't like how American marriages imply that the man should go out and do all the work - and the women stay home and do ? (and complain about it constantly).
  • 7figz
    Options
    By the way, that ? might want to move out the hood - before she gets stoned for this.
  • haute
    Options
    7fIG wrote: »

Real talk, I've known a lot of Indians (Eastern) who've had arranged marriages - and both the husband and wife were working. It wasn't like how American marriages imply that the man should go out and do all the work - and the women stay home and do ? (and complain about it constantly).

you just answered your own question
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can find something negative to say about every culture on the planet.

• KingJamal
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    they were just betrothed to each other at that age. it basically means the parents promise they'll marry their kids to each other once the come of age

in a lot of countries, arranged marriages are the norm. to understand why they do it, you'd have to understand their culture
    Oh I know its the norm in India Kai

But I just couldn't imagine if I had to grow up like that
  • Helena85
    Helena85 Members Posts: 5
    Options
    er husband, Rakesh, was just three-years-old when family sealed the deal on their fate. She was one

• 7figz
    Options
    7fIG wrote: »

you just answered your own question

I guess... since American marriages are all about money. But I don't think that the basis of arranged marriages, among Indians atleast, is on the basis of money. Their concern is mostly of class. They try to keep their families within the same class. I actually asked them about it.
  • haute
    Options
    Marriage

From the very beginning has always been partly if not mostly a financial arrangement

This crosses over many cultures, including Indian cultures

To believe different is pretty naive
  • 7figz
    Options
    @haute -

I'm not saying it has nothing to do with money but less so than Americans. For instance, according to what an Indian told me - they wouldn't be ok with a person from a family of 'farmers' to marry let's say a person from a family of 'bankers'... even if that person had stacks.