What is the brokest (financially) you've ever been and what do you learn from it?

Options
God-I_Am_Ether
God-I_Am_Ether Members Posts: 3,409
edited May 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
So people seem to learn from their financial mistakes, some seem to learn from the mistakes that they was raised around by parents or guardians but some never learn and it seems even when they do get money it only pays for mistakes to come.

I'm not rich and I've lived pay check to pay check but never been close to starving or homeless but I know people that have been close to the edge more than once and I'm like you keep repeating the same ? over and over.

Comments

• Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been thru all aspects of poverty and the only valuable thing I've learned is that it doesn't take much to be truly happy and content within self if you have the right attitude and perception of life..

I'm not poor now but I do know regardless of what life throws at you, the right attitude is key for survival..
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I learned I need money, cuz I want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.? that broke ?
  • Plap Sun
    Plap Sun Members Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i was stayin out of hotels but it was cool tho, i wasnt trippin

• Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The illusion is thinking you NEED money to do whatever you want to do.. If you truly look at life and understand how it works, communication can take you places you can't buy your way into..I used to think money= freedom but its just the opposite.. Didn't realize I could survive and enjoy life without money until I actually had to.. True money buys luxury but money will never be freedom.. Living in the moment helps realize you can do whatever you want to do.. All it takes is a little creative thinking and confidence and you can control the illusion and make it work in your favor.. Soon as you do that, money will almost fall in your lap..

Anyone chasing money never catches it, you have to know how to attract money.. Make it come to you..
  • Plap Sun
    Plap Sun Members Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The illusion is thinking you NEED money to do whatever you want to do.. If you truly look at life and understand how it works, communication can take you places you can't buy your way into..I used to think money= freedom but its just the opposite.. Didn't realize I could survive and enjoy life without money until I actually had to.. True money buys luxury but money will never be freedom.. Living in the moment helps realize you can do whatever you want to do.. All it takes is a little creative thinking and confidence and you can control the illusion and make it work in your favor.. Soon as you do that, money will almost fall in your lap..

Anyone chasing money never catches it, you have to know how to attract money.. Make it come to you..

till you get hungry
  • The Douce
    The Douce Members Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭
    Options
    right now, I got student loans. im out of my overdraft again for the moment though.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    eating egg salad sandwiches for a week...and had to scrape up money for the bread..borrowing money for gas. it took 4months to get back on my feet..then i started my own business...

it taught me to not be loyal to any company because they are not loyal to you and that you need a partner that has to be down for you no matter what... if you can make it thru that an still have each others back...you doing good.....i married my wife shortly after
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I made $16 last me 5 days with barely a quarter of a tank of gas to get to work..i missed 2 days off work,payed all my bills..i didnt really learn ? except i cant be fuckn off money..
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    when i was in my early twenties and in college working menial jobs and i learned i never want to be making that much money,I got responsibilities and that not cheap
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My senior year of highschool, i was out of my parents house and was only making like 10 an hour, had all my bills and rent. ? was rough i would run out of money the day after i got paid. Steal food from the grocery store all the time. Buy as many top ramens as 3 bucks could get me, then just steal the sandwiches or deli food for a quick meal lol.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didnt really learn from it tbh. I just make more money. still got bad spending habits but i make enough to have a little something left over.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    once i got ? by a client for a $5,000 check (pause) that bounced and it was right when i moved back to the u.s. so i had to open a new bank account which i did with that check. well once it bounced it ruined my bank credit so i couldn't open a bank account until it got straightened out which took nearly a year. that ? was rough.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Senior year of high school, tried to moved out and lived off my job at the mall. Was staying in some real cheap, privately owned apt complex that had a month to month lease. Didn't have near enough money to support myself. By the 4th month, I was stealing pop tarts out the gas station for breakfast, eatin peanut butter crackers for lunch, and noodles for dinner. Worst month of my life....
  • randomStalker2
    randomStalker2 Members Posts: 128
    Options
    second week of college after buying books the first time, I learned that even white people are broke, they just buy things on credit
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When I was unemployed for 9 months. What I learned is appreciating a employment. My not like the company I'm at, management, or the folks I work wit, it beats having no job.

2009 was not a good year for me either. Was struggling that whole year until December.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    6/7 months...mum, 5 siblings...all we could afford was ? eggs and beans...all 3 meals...couldn't leave the house to go anywhere that cost any money...that included the bus...only enough gwup to get us too and from school...thank ? for free school lunches...

anything I could have learnt from it, I already knew
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    in college. Had to eat ramen noodles and oatmeal all the time. And drink water. WOAT feeling when you couldn't buy alcohol.
  • Grahf
    Grahf Members Posts: 344 ✭✭
    Options
    Early college years, ramen was lunch and dinner.
  • Bookworm
    Bookworm Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I grew up in poverty. As I got older always had decent jobs but was living paycheck to paycheck. I realized that I was doing a lot of pointless spending on things like fast food, eating out too much, impulsive buying and when I added up how much I was spending I was shocked. I put myself on a spending allowance. Now I pay bills, put money in savings and I use my spending allowance for going out, eating out, shoes etc. When that is gone that's it. I has helped me curb spending.
  • randomStalker2
    randomStalker2 Members Posts: 128
    Options
    college in 31 seconds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTK54AciUYc

• Maalik
    Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    ? got no hustle mentality. smh.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Been had a job since I was 16. So I was good
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    homeless... I learned how 2 take care of myself... money ain't everything... and u can't spell hustle wit out da stl...
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Unless you enjoy sleeping in a 108 degree room, pay your utilities on time
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I respect what your saying but if your typing from the states them your typing pipe dreams my dude