J. Cole confirms joint album with Kendrick Lamar

Options

Comments

• buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kendrick would body Cole on every track breh. ? Jay-Z.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kame wrote: »
    i don't believe this exists till I see a track list and release date

Yeah, the only thing I think might hold this back would be the usual label politics.
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know if I want this, I'd rather have a David Banner & Big Krit joint album.

Let's get a Black Hippy album first or a Kendrick Lamar album first.

Too much posturing with these rookies before they even get a solid footing in this game.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Cant wait for this ? . should be amazing. and damn every thread lately been some hating ass ? wacking every post.
  • yeah i rap so don't
    yeah i rap so don't Members Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    I don't know if I want this, I'd rather have a David Banner & Big Krit joint album.

Let's get a Black Hippy album first or a Kendrick Lamar album first.

Too much posturing with these rookies before they even get a solid footing in this game.

How can I agree with you any further on this issue? I remember asking multiple people in their camp when "No Sleep Til NYC 2" was going to be released. I was always told they had made tracks, but started doing individual projects and it got shelved. This Black Hippy album could be int he same category bro. I never even ask about it at all.
  • smoothcriminal12
    smoothcriminal12 Members Posts: 17
    Options
    Iunno bout this one...
  • edutained_by_hh
    edutained_by_hh Members Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Kendrick is dope, and better than Cole, no doubt. But he isn't light years ahead of Cole like some of you are making it seem. They both are nice and I think the album is a good idea. Hopefully it actually comes out.
  • yeah i rap so don't
    Options
    Man, hopefully the idea of J Cole just doing production gets scrapped because his beats are not ill.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    should be a good collabo, they will balance each other out imo. As superlyrical as some of you people might think Kendrick is over J Cole, J Cole is easilly the better artist and have more range beyond a underground sound. Ya'll acting like J Cole can't spit, like he wasn't getting off on The Come Up, The Warm Up and FNL. Sideline Story was just to make sure he didn't put up Joe Budden type sales, you can't hit the consumers over the head with nerd raps all the way on the album.
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A wack ? (Cole) and a boring ? (Lamar) doing a collaboration album?
    Yeah, this is one to skip....
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Nerd rap? I mentioned 'Renegade' and Eminem wasn't spitting lyricalmiracleresidualpinnaclecynical type ? .

You catching feelings because most of us know Kendrick Lamar has more technical skill than J. Cole. It ain't like Cole is garbage, Lamar is just a better rapper. Get off Roc Nation's ? .
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kame wrote: »
    i don't believe this exists till I see a track list and release date

Came in to say this.
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    should be a good collabo, they will balance each other out imo. As superlyrical as some of you people might think Kendrick is over J Cole, J Cole is easilly the better artist and have more range beyond a underground sound. Ya'll acting like J Cole can't spit, like he wasn't getting off on The Come Up, The Warm Up and FNL. Sideline Story was just to make sure he didn't put up Joe Budden type sales, you can't hit the consumers over the head with nerd raps all the way on the album.

Section.80 is better than anything Cole has ever put out, so exactly how is Cole "easily" the better artist?
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn ? actually made it through Section 8.0?..that album was on par with "Below the Heavens" when it comes to boredom.
    but regardless I'd rather listen to a boring ass lyricist than a boring ass wack ? like J Cole
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CoolJoe wrote: »

Section.80 is better than anything Cole has ever put out, so exactly how is Cole "easily" the better artist?

The Warm Up is right up there with Section 80 imo. The reason why J Cole is a better artist is because he can do the underground lyrical (as seen on his mixtapes) and he can do the commercial records. He is easily a better song writer than Kendrick imo, what has Kendrick done other than show he is a mixtape and underground rapper?
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Warm Up is right up there with Section 80 imo. The reason why J Cole is a better artist is because he can do the underground lyrical (as seen on his mixtapes) and he can do the commercial records. He is easily a better song writer than Kendrick imo, what has Kendrick done other than show he is a mixtape and underground rapper?

First of all, no @ bolded.

Second of all, what did J. Cole do to show that he wasn't just a mixtape and underground rapper prior to his major label debut? Kendrick is just now starting to make a commercial push so it's too early to say that.

I told you 2 years ago that Kendrick was nicer than Cole before anyone knew who he was. Now I doubt everyone in this thread is delusional. Kendrick is a better lyricist, technical rapper, has more different flows, better production, more creative, non-redundant topics (unlike Cole), better stage show (I've seen them both), and he got his buzz without a cosign. Cole is NOT a better songwriter than Kendrick.

You can put Kendrick Lamar EP OOORRR Overly Dedicated OOORRR Section.80 against ANY project that J. Cole released and they're all ? on his ? .

Yo marin3 you know how you always loved to bring up the college demographic, touring, and artist development ? when talking about Cole? That's exactly what Lamar is on right now. I'm in college and Kendrick did a packed show at my school 3 days ago.. I saw a crowd full of attractive girls that were singing along with all his lyrics. Just WAIT.

Kendrick Lamar will be commercially successful without making wack songs like Work Out.
  • SuperSoaker
    SuperSoaker Members Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Friday nights lights>>> any Kendrick project

IMO KL best work is Overly dedicated, Section 80 is mad overrated.
  • Dharmic X
    Dharmic X Members Posts: 104 ✭✭
    Options
    Cole has made wack songs... and his debut album was lackluster, but he can spit and has shown his ability to spit and come up with great concepts on songs off the Warm Up and even songs that weren't on any project (Return of Simba). And Cole tends to make dope beats when they're not for himself... so hopefully working with Kendrick will step the beat game up. We'll just have to wait and see on this.

At the idea that this project might get shelved by labels/camps/buzz... It's obviously coming after Kendrick's solo album, and there is that Black Hippy album push. If they want to put this album for sale there's TDE, Roc Nation, Interscope, and a few other labels to clear/deal with, but considering I don't remember Roc Nation having firm distro with a label, it could probably just be a RN/TDE/Interscope deal. But I mean, I remember the hype for Center Edge Territory (Mos Def, Curren$y, and Jay Elec). I heard someone at Creative Control tell me the album was largely finished... just waiting on Jay Elec and Curren$y to build their buzz further... and now all 3 have gone their separate ways and that project will never see the light of day.
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kendrick is a better lyricist than Cole, but to act like Cole can't spit is just pure hate.
  • yeah i rap so don't
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »

Second of all, what did J. Cole do to show that he wasn't just a mixtape and underground rapper prior to his major label debut? Kendrick is just now starting to make a commercial push so it's too early to say that.

I told you 2 years ago that Kendrick was nicer than Cole before anyone knew who he was. Now I doubt everyone in this thread is delusional. Kendrick is a better lyricist, technical rapper, has more different flows, better production, more creative, non-redundant topics (unlike Cole), better stage show (I've seen them both), and he got his buzz without a cosign. Cole is NOT a better songwriter than Kendrick.

You can put Kendrick Lamar EP OOORRR Overly Dedicated OOORRR Section.80 against ANY project that J. Cole released and they're all ? on his ? .

Yo marin3 you know how you always loved to bring up the college demographic, touring, and artist development ? when talking about Cole? That's exactly what Lamar is on right now. I'm in college and Kendrick did a packed show at my school 3 days ago.. I saw a crowd full of attractive girls that were singing along with all his lyrics. Just WAIT.

Kendrick Lamar will be commercially successful without making wack songs like Work Out.

I knew who he was and people use to laugh when I said he was better than Jadakiss.
    Dharmic X wrote: »
    Cole has made wack songs... and his debut album was lackluster, but he can spit and has shown his ability to spit and come up with great concepts on songs off the Warm Up and even songs that weren't on any project (Return of Simba). And Cole tends to make dope beats when they're not for himself... so hopefully working with Kendrick will step the beat game up. We'll just have to wait and see on this.

At the idea that this project might get shelved by labels/camps/buzz... It's obviously coming after Kendrick's solo album, and there is that Black Hippy album push. If they want to put this album for sale there's TDE, Roc Nation, Interscope, and a few other labels to clear/deal with, but considering I don't remember Roc Nation having firm distro with a label, it could probably just be a RN/TDE/Interscope deal. But I mean, I remember the hype for Center Edge Territory (Mos Def, Curren$y, and Jay Elec). I heard someone at Creative Control tell me the album was largely finished... just waiting on Jay Elec and Curren$y to build their buzz further... and now all 3 have gone their separate ways and that project will never see the light of day.

Hate when that happens, much like the complete Dr.Dre/Ice Cube duo album that never was released, smh.
  • Dharmic X
    Dharmic X Members Posts: 104 ✭✭
    Options

I knew who he was and people use to laugh when I said he was better than Jadakiss.

Was the reference to Jada intentional as a play on his laughing?
    Hate when that happens, much like the complete Dr.Dre/Ice Cube duo album that never was released, smh.

Yeah... that's the way of the business unfortunately.
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea look forward to this......
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »

Dharmic X wrote: »

did the dre/cube album actually get completed? I was always under the impression it never got finished
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sorry, I had to stop reading when i read the warm up is up there with section 80