Kendrick Lamar: Section.80 & ? Babies (Stanford University)

Options
MsVShantrell
MsVShantrell Members Posts: 155
edited May 2012 in The Reason
One of today’s rising hip-hop intellectual, Kendrick Lamar, made his way to Stanford University for Blackfest this past Sunday. The truth, coming from a 24-year-old Black man straight out of Compton, didn’t pull in a huge Palo Alto crowd. Yet, Kendrick gave a grade-A performance and those in attendance rapped with the prolific MC line for line.

After the show, Victoria Shantrell (Stanford BA’11 & MA’11) and Kendrick Lamar sat down and discussed his latest mixtape, Section.80, and the ? baby generation. Check out the dialogue between these two 80’s babies below.

Interview

Do you think all Black 80s babies are ? babies?
Do you think the discussion of the effects of ? is still relevant?

V

Comments

• MsVShantrell
    Options
    In regards to the first question, I don't mean "? babies" literally. I'm not asking if you think that all Black 80s babies were born addicted to ? ; I'm asking if you think that a majority of Black youth born during that time are apart of a collective "? baby generation" as stated by Kendrick in the interview.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's dope you got to interview Kendrick.
  • MsVShantrell
    Options
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In regards to the first question, I don't mean "? babies" literally. I'm not asking if you think that all Black 80s babies were born addicted to ? ; I'm asking if you think that a majority of Black youth born during that time are apart of a collective "? baby generation" as stated by Kendrick in the interview.

its a good conversation and very great observation ... and im sure hes seen plenty of ? babies and seen the bad influence they became due to thier birth defect ... everyone in the 80s were impacted by ? one way or another ... if you werent a ? baby yourself ... your moms or father might of sold ? ... or your uncle or auntie might of been a ? head ... or your best friends moms might of been a ? head etc ..........

• antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thank u

side note thats you in the vid ???? #props ;)

• MsVShantrell
    Options
    if you werent a ? baby yourself ... your moms or father might of sold ? ... or your uncle or auntie might of been a ? head ... or your best friends moms might of been a ? head etc ..........

Damn, all three of those things apply to me (I wasn't a ? baby).

What effects do you all think that having a whole generation of Black youth apart of this culture in one way or another is having or will have on the future of leadership, Black leadership in particular?
  • MsVShantrell
    Options
    side note thats you in the vid ???? #props

lol yes that's me. Thank you.
  • dr.oliverpo
    dr.oliverpo Members Posts: 242 ✭✭
    Options
    Kendrick Lamar is boring. Not interested in nothing about him. I was gonna read this ? but got bored thinking about his slow ass uninteresting rhymes. Im not hating that's my opinion and the underlying truth.
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nice for you to do the interview.... difficult to hear tho what with all that background noise!
  • MsVShantrell
    Options
    nice for you to do the interview.... difficult to hear tho what with all that background noise!

I know! I had to turn the volume all the way up on the clip (which is why the background noise is so loud) because Kendrick was so low. You can kinda see me mouthing to him to speak louder.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ADHD has always been one of my favorite songs. I agree with what he's saying about MY generation because it's noticeable. We are the generation of ? babies. We were all influenced by it.
  • MsVShantrell
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    ADHD has always been one of my favorite songs. I agree with what he's saying about MY generation because it's noticeable. We are the generation of ? babies. We were all influenced by it.

Why did you specify your generation? Are you an early 80s baby (before '86)? And if so, do you think that there's a difference between the effects on the early 80s babies and the late 80s babies?
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    is that you in your avi?
  • yeah i rap so don't
    yeah i rap so don't Members Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can not watch it due to the level of the noise in the background, I wish you the best in your career , yea.