The Official 2011-2012 European Football Thread.

Options

Comments

• northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did anyone just watch Panorama on BBC1? Again, why the ? were Poland and Ukraine allowed to have the Euros this year? Racist ? . Proper ? countries. UEFA are a bunch of clowns with Platini 'too busy' to talk about it, but then when Wenger is getting a larger fine for cussing a ref than Porto for racist abuse it's not surprising at all.

UEFA is nothing but a joke.
  • Figo
    Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Racism fears for Euro 2012 rise after explosive documentary; Football world holds its breath

International soccer officials fear this summer's European Championships will be marred by widespread racism following an explosive documentary revealing major social issues in both host nations.

An exposé by the BBC's Panorama program, broadcast in the United Kingdom on Monday night and set to be shown again in multiple countries, detailed the extent of race-related soccer hooliganism in Poland and the Ukraine, where the Euros will be jointly staged starting June 8.

Reports of violent behavior at games in those nations were already frequent, but the ugly scenes displayed by Panorama, – including crowds making monkey chants at black players and targeting minority athletes with foul language and physical threats – have brought the issue to the forefront of pre-tournament discussions at European soccer's governing body UEFA.

Footage of Asian students being attacked at the Metalist Stadium in Kharkiv, where three group matches will be staged, was shown, as were scenes of fans making ? salutes and chanting anti-Semitic epithets.

"I trust the fans, but we shall see," said UEFA president Michel Platini. "There are problems at every tournament, always."

UEFA's concerns have been amplified by an unusual dynamic this year. . The global economic downturn means far fewer fans will be traveling than usual. The lack of visiting supporters will be exacerbated by the exorbitant prices being demanded for accommodations in the host cities. The threat of racism and violence has served as an additional deterrent.
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Figo wrote: »
    Racism fears for Euro 2012 rise after explosive documentary; Football world holds its breath

International soccer officials fear this summer's European Championships will be marred by widespread racism following an explosive documentary revealing major social issues in both host nations.

An exposé by the BBC's Panorama program, broadcast in the United Kingdom on Monday night and set to be shown again in multiple countries, detailed the extent of race-related soccer hooliganism in Poland and the Ukraine, where the Euros will be jointly staged starting June 8.

Reports of violent behavior at games in those nations were already frequent, but the ugly scenes displayed by Panorama, – including crowds making monkey chants at black players and targeting minority athletes with foul language and physical threats – have brought the issue to the forefront of pre-tournament discussions at European soccer's governing body UEFA.

Footage of Asian students being attacked at the Metalist Stadium in Kharkiv, where three group matches will be staged, was shown, as were scenes of fans making ? salutes and chanting anti-Semitic epithets.

"I trust the fans, but we shall see," said UEFA president Michel Platini. "There are problems at every tournament, always."

UEFA's concerns have been amplified by an unusual dynamic this year. . The global economic downturn means far fewer fans will be traveling than usual. The lack of visiting supporters will be exacerbated by the exorbitant prices being demanded for accommodations in the host cities. The threat of racism and violence has served as an additional deterrent.

I can see alot of ? going down at the Euro's esp. if either Poland or the Ukraine don't make it out of the group stages.
  • northside7
    Options
    It's Chelsea for Hazard
    Eden Hazard has announced via his Twitter account that he will join Chelsea this summer.

The Lille attacking midfielder, regarded as one of the most prized talents in Europe, was believed to have a choice between the Blues, Manchester City and Manchester United.

And after a dramatic delay, the Belgium international wrote: "I'm signing for the champion's league winner."

Chelsea, who beat Bayern Munich earlier this month to become champions of Europe, were yet to officially confirm the deal when the 21-year-old made his announcement.

But it is understood they had given the player permission to reveal the move in this way as long as he did not do any interviews.

The £32million-rated star had earlier kept fans of several clubs in suspense by posting he had "made up his mind" but declining to name the team in question.

Decision

But his decision will be viewed as something of a surprise given Manchester City's financial muscle and the fact that Chelsea do not currently have a permanent manager in place.

Hazard had previously indicated he would be making a move to one of the Manchester clubs, before admitting interest from the UEFA Champions League winners had made him think twice.

"Chelsea makes you hesitate," he told Canal+ last week. "They've won the Champions League and they'll be in it next season."

Concerns over playing time at City may also have been a factor in the player's decision, especially given that the Stamford Bridge outfit have already begun overhauling their squad.

Hazard said of Chelsea: "They have great players and I always said I wanted to be playing.

"I think there is the possibility to play as well."

Salomon Kalou and Didier Drogba have already left the Blues, while the future of Florent Malouda remains in doubt.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    why does hazard wanna go to a team that is finished??? dont make sense... maybe joe cole had a word with him

his career move
    man%20with%20gun%20to%20head%202.jpg
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Paul Ince questions England passion
    Former Three Lions skipper blasts the current squad's commitment but believes that they should be aiming for at least a spot in the semi-finals in Ukraine and Poland

Former England international Paul Ince has raised questions over the passion and hunger of Roy Hodgson's Three Lions squad.

The former Manchester United and Liverpool midfielder is concerned that many of the current side lack the desire to play for their country.

Ince, who was capped 53 times for England and also appeared several times as captain, believes his generation had a togetherness that is sorely lacking in the current team.

"Does it mean a lot of play for England? It did when I played. Whether it does now, I am not too sure. That is the problem Roy has," he told TalkSport.

"For me the biggest thing is togetherness and spirit. In 1996, we had a spirit and we were like players at a club. We could not wait to see each other.

"We need to regain that. Sometimes it is hard. You get some players who do not turn up [or] they retire at a young age - I've never understood that. Why would you want to retire from the pinnacle of your career?"

The former Blackburn Rovers manager also praised Hodgson, a boss he worked under during his time with Inter, suggesting the former Liverpool chief will get the best out of his players.

He added, "I had some great times with Roy at Inter. He will be good for the players. At the same time, when he feels he has to, he can lose it with players as well.

"All the signs were going to Harry. I don't understand why Harry didn't get the job, but Roy is in there and he is a top manager and a great bloke. He is a fantastic coach and he is methodical in the way he puts his team out."

On the topic of English prospects this summer, Ince insisted that Hodgson's side have the capability to give a good account of themselves in Ukraine and Poland, and should be aiming higher than the quarter-finals.

He continued: "We are good enough to have a good tournament. We are good enough to win a tournament.

"This time, though, the squad has no expectation and the players will go there relaxed. We could be a surprise package.

"The amount of times I hear people say we have done well if we can get to the quarter-finals frustrates me. That is not good enough for England."

The former Manchester United and Liverpool midfielder is concerned that many of the current side lack the desire to play for their country.

Ince, who was capped 53 times for England and also appeared several times as captain, believes his generation had a togetherness that is sorely lacking in the current team.

"Does it mean a lot of play for England? It did when I played. Whether it does now, I am not too sure. That is the problem Roy has," he told TalkSport.

"For me the biggest thing is togetherness and spirit. In 1996, we had a spirit and we were like players at a club. We could not wait to see each other.

"We need to regain that. Sometimes it is hard. You get some players who do not turn up [or] they retire at a young age - I've never understood that. Why would you want to retire from the pinnacle of your career?"

The former Blackburn Rovers manager also praised Hodgson, a boss he worked under during his time with Inter, suggesting the former Liverpool chief will get the best out of his players.

He added, "I had some great times with Roy at Inter. He will be good for the players. At the same time, when he feels he has to, he can lose it with players as well.

"All the signs were going to Harry. I don't understand why Harry didn't get the job, but Roy is in there and he is a top manager and a great bloke. He is a fantastic coach and he is methodical in the way he puts his team out."

On the topic of English prospects this summer, Ince insisted that Hodgson's side have the capability to give a good account of themselves in Ukraine and Poland, and should be aiming higher than the quarter-finals.

He continued: "We are good enough to have a good tournament. We are good enough to win a tournament.

"This time, though, the squad has no expectation and the players will go there relaxed. We could be a surprise package.

"The amount of times I hear people say we have done well if we can get to the quarter-finals frustrates me. That is not good enough for England."
  • Figo
    edited May 2012
    Options
    ? ciroc a;cholol
    just wana thsnk police for not pulling me over.
    i still thing cleverly will be more succesful thn hazard belgium. ? him.. huh?
  • One Spliff
    One Spliff Members Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭
    Options
    why does hazard wanna go to a team that is finished??? dont make sense... maybe joe cole had a word with him

his career move

you cold hatin lol...still...

a team that is finnished ?...we wrapping da yung stars of europe, n we only guna cop more n more after and during the euro's, this is part two of the chelsea revolution, thats why we will cop pep guardiola n offload RDM.

jus ask yourself why hazard chose to coem to chelsea instead of city, united or arsenal...stop hating and face facts.

• water ur seeds
    Options
    One Spliff wrote: »

his career move

a team that is finnished ?...we wrapping da yung stars of europe, n we only guna cop more n more after and during the euro's, this is part two of the chelsea revolution, thats why we will cop pep guardiola n offload RDM.

jus ask yourself why hazard chose to coem to chelsea instead of city, united or arsenal...stop hating and face facts.

youve made one signing... albelit a good one... thats the facts... like i said for the past 2 seasons to you, laow your talk and see what happens in the season
  • water ur seeds
    Options
    and chelsea are crazy if they get rid of rdm
  • Figo
    Options

his career move

don't count egg in fowl ass.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

his career move

youve made one signing... albelit a good one... thats the facts... like i said for the past 2 seasons to you, laow your talk and see what happens in the season

lol...I've seen this word spelt a dozen times in a dozen different ways...I usually go for, "'llow"
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    About Chelsea...He went there because they offered him the most...clear as rain...I've got to quarrels with that...but its the truth...

Cole, Cahill, Terry, Ivanovic

Mikel, Rameries*

Sturridge, Mata, Hazard

Torres

Is that a title winnin' 11?...Not sure...Torres will have to return to 30 goal Torres...Sturridge will have to be better...And Mata will have to be more consistent
  • One Spliff
    One Spliff Members Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭
    Options
    About Chelsea...He went there because they offered him the most...clear as rain...I've got to quarrels with that...but its the truth...

Mikel, Rameries*

Sturridge, Mata, Hazard

Torres

Is that a title winnin' 11?...Not sure...Torres will have to return to 30 goal Torres...Sturridge will have to be better...And Mata will have to be more consistent

i think city could have rivaled our wage packet for hazard, he came to us because we are european champions and because we are in a transitional period.

i like that starting 11, but i tthink we'll cop 1 more big name this summer, in place of sturridge's position.

probably cop a right back also.
  • northside7
    Options

Mikel, Rameries*

Sturridge, Mata, Hazard

Torres

That doesn't strike fear in anyone.

Thank ? he wasn't signed by Arsenal..
  • northside7
    Options

Mikel, Rameries*

Sturridge, Mata, Hazard

Torres

i think city could have rivaled our wage packet for hazard, he came to us because we are european champions and because we are in a transitional period.

i like that starting 11, but i tthink we'll cop 1 more big name this summer, in place of sturridge's position.

IMO I don't think that's a strong enough reason to sign.
  • northside7
    Options
    Wife wants Van Persie to stay
    Robin van Persie's wife has urged the Arsenal striker to repay the Gunners' faith by staying at Emirates Stadium.

Van Persie's future remains unclear with Manchester City leading the pursuit of the striker, who is out of contract next summer.

The striker has been locked in talks with Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger and chief executive Ivan Gazidis but no agreement was forthcoming before he linked up with the Dutch squad for Euro 2012.

But his wife, Bouchra, believes the striker should repay the faith Arsenal showed in him when he was struggling for form and pointed to the fact that their family are settled in London.

"Arsenal showed faith in Robin when he was going through a lean time, so we should not repay them by thinking about other clubs," she was quoted as saying in the Sun. "Our home life and our children are happy in London."

Van Persie's mother Jose added: "Arsenal love him and that's a great incentive to stay. Arsenal are a fantastic club. They have no debts and Robin is idolised there."

Yesterday I was 50/50. Today I'm 70/30 on him staying. It's lookin good.

Wenger better not sit on his ? hands. Go out there and sign some players now!!
  • northside7
    Options
    Raul - El Clasico duo would rule in England
    Former Real Madrid striker Raul believes that the two-horse race at the summit of La Liga is not a reflection on the quality of the league, rather a demonstration Real and Barcelona's abilities.

Whilst many accuse La Liga of being a league which lacks competitiveness, due to the duo's dominance at the top, Raul believes that they would be similarly impressive in any league, including the Premier League.

Real Madrid finished nine points clear of rivals Barcelona, with third placed Valencia a further 30 points behind.

"The problem lies not in the league," Raul told Doha Stadium Plus. "Manchester United are a great team in England, but right now Barcelona and Real Madrid are the two best teams in the world. It is normal then the other teams are struggling to keep up with them.

"If Real Madrid and Barcelona played in England, it would be a race of two. At the moment Real Madrid and Barcelona are the best. The gap could be reduced in coming years.''

Looking ahead to this year's European Championships, Raul told reporters that Spain face a difficult task retaining their trophy.

"It will be difficult for Spain,'' he added. "In history, no country has won the European Championship, World Cup and Euros again. I want to see Spain make history, but they know they will face a major challenge, mainly from Germany, Holland and France.''

c1f44a010529bfdfe6962a0bf6b9a212.gif

"Has Messi played on a soakin wet, rained on pitch at Stoke?" lol
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Mikel, Rameries*

Sturridge, Mata, Hazard

Torres

I doubt City was a major contender. Hazard wants to be sure he's play football, so City would not have been a good choice for that.

With Drogba and Kalou gone, his competition will be Torres.

But you not seeing the other threat. Hazard and Lukaku already know each other.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Raul is right though, Real and Barca would dominate any league at the moment. funny thing is Mourinho said repeatedly that this years title was the toughest title to achieve in his career.

the bundes liga, prem, Serie A, Ligue 1 etc are all more competitive(eventhough this year the prem/serie A were more of a two horse race as well). That doesn't mean the other teams in La Liga are ? and don't have any money (atletico madrid cough cough).
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Options
    2014 is gonna be Belgiums year lol, they've got Kompany,Vertonghen, Vermaellen, Witsel, Hazard, Dembele, Mertens , Chadli etc great potential there
  • northside7
    Options
    Alkindus wrote: »
    Raul is right though, Real and Barca would dominate any league at the moment. funny thing is Mourinho said repeatedly that this years title was the toughest title to achieve in his career.

the bundes liga, prem, Serie A, Ligue 1 etc are all more competitive(eventhough this year the prem/serie A were more of a two horse race as well). That doesn't mean the other teams in La Liga are ? and don't have any money (atletico madrid cough cough).

They would dominate 75-80% of the EPL, compared to them dominating 99% of la liga. I hear what you're saying tho but people shouldn't just throw ? like that out there with no games being played. The EPL is a different beast.

• water ur seeds
    Options

his career move

lol...I've seen this word spelt a dozen times in a dozen different ways...I usually go for, "'llow"

it took me a while to figure out which way to spell it at first lol