Did Nicki Minaj sell-out by making POP songs?

Options

Comments

• Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    andre_1024 wrote: »
    SlickestR wrote: »
    So what's the difference between Kayne West Coming out with 808's and Heartbreak

and Nicki Minaj doing all the pop songs she wanted for her album?

808's and Heartbreaks isn't pop tho..it may not be "hip-hop" but it definitely isn't pop..but "Starships" along with 65% of her 2nd album is on some pop/techno ? ..

the ? Kanye Label that album POP-Art

? be posting from their ? ass lil feelings, and not with facts
    Kanye West chronology ... Classified by West as a pop album, 808s & Heartbreak incorporates elements of synthpop, electronica, ... He later stated that he wishes to present the music as a new genre called "pop art"
  • nyst8ofmin
    nyst8ofmin Members Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    So what's the difference between Kayne West Coming out with 808's and Heartbreak

808's and Heartbreaks isn't pop tho..it may not be "hip-hop" but it definitely isn't pop..but "Starships" along with 65% of her 2nd album is on some pop/techno ? ..

...yeah 808's and Heartbreaks wasn't hip-hop and neither is what Nicki is doing... So what i'm tryna get at is...

why didn't people bash Kanye when he dropped 808's and why are they bashing Nicki when she dropped Starships..

Kanye didn't necessarily "sell out" when he did that...

the main dif is that kanye has inherent talent. and when he stops talking, his beats bang.

nicki has a fat ass and an annoying voice

• KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Options
    but if she wanted to do pop records for a long time now... why didn't she just come out as a pop artist?

people mostly know Nicki Minaj as a hip-hop artist... that's how she started out, that's how she carried herself

through the Come Up DVD, the mixtapes... I mean, if Taylor Swift started to do Hip-hop all of a sudden on her

records.. and half of her album has T-Pain, Flo-Rida and Pitbull on it.. Her fans would be disappointed...

but i digress... She did show a lot of poppy influences on Pink Friday... so
    She said she wanted to crossover into Pop eventually. You can't just jump into another genre that easily. That's just like a hip-hop crossover record. It gets hot on Urban/Rhytmic radio.. and then Pop picks it up (last major crossover that comes to mind is ? In Paris). It's kinda different from Taylor Swift doing hip-hop... cause nobody would wanna hear that ? first of all lol. Some people are actually checking for Nicki's Pop records... the people willing to spend 99 cents, at least. :\

But she still does raps on 90% of those Pop songs... it's just not hip-hop.
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    even if we say 808s is pop it's a different kind of Pop, just like there's different types of hip hop, rock etc..808's pop is different from Nicki's pop..Nicki's Roman Reloaded 2 pop is more along the lines of that corny, catchy pop..and it's not good pop at that..? 's terrible..
  • SlickestR
    SlickestR Members Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    but if she wanted to do pop records for a long time now... why didn't she just come out as a pop artist?

people mostly know Nicki Minaj as a hip-hop artist... that's how she started out, that's how she carried herself

through the Come Up DVD, the mixtapes... I mean, if Taylor Swift started to do Hip-hop all of a sudden on her

records.. and half of her album has T-Pain, Flo-Rida and Pitbull on it.. Her fans would be disappointed...

but i digress... She did show a lot of poppy influences on Pink Friday... so
    She said she wanted to crossover into Pop eventually. You can't just jump into another genre that easily. That's just like a hip-hop crossover record. It gets hot on Urban/Rhytmic radio.. and then Pop picks it up (last major crossover that comes to mind is ? In Paris). It's kinda different from Taylor Swift doing hip-hop... cause nobody would wanna hear that ? first of all lol. Some people are actually checking for Nicki's Pop records... the people willing to spend 99 cents, at least. :\

But she still does raps on 90% of those Pop songs... it's just not hip-hop.

? In Paris... That song is commercially amazing as far as it's cross over appeal... ? that love hip-hop

can bump this.. and Euro metrosexuals out in the europe jam to this in the clubs...

Nicki also stated that she wanted to follow Jay-Z "blueprint" as far as somebody of grandeur in hip-hop...

but she won't do it as well as Jay-Z.. not because she's a female hip-hop artist... but she's hasn't left her

hip-hop audience something to say that she has show-cased her talents to the best of her abilities...

Beez In the Trap doesn't do her justice, nor does Stupid Hoe...

But then again, she's been to the grammys, superbowl, various expansive concerts and festivals within less than

two albums under her belt... Of course, "Her female/homosexual audience" will be checking for her pop records, because that's who she appeals to now....

But how is she going to say that she's not the "Lady Gaga" of hip-hop... and then go back to saying "i'm a hip-hop artist"
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Selective memory.

JayZ does his whole Linkin-Park bamboozle on some Rock ? and the fans say it's "Awesome", but when Nicki does her POP ? it's a disgrace to the culture.
    no she sold out by making a Pop ALBUM..and there's a difference between catchy/goofy songs and pop songs, which kills your EM comparison..

The album has POP songs and HipHop songs.

That ? -Goofy ? that Emenim does is even worse because at least Nicki can do a song with 2-Chainz and make a hit, you put Emenim on a Gucci song and it's the worst ? ever made.

Some cross-dresser rapping about his "? -? " isn't catchy it's ? as ? and corny as ? because he's rapping for ? dudes while Nicki is rapping for the ? .

I'd rather listen to "Starships" then to listen to "? ", "Puke" or "Cinderella Man".

• Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea, eminem stans gonna have to take a L on this one.
  • Washington_Red
    Washington_Red Members Posts: 255
    Options

This.

There is no such thing as selling out in rap anymore. And Nikki had POP aspirations from day one.

I don't listen to the radio and I've only seen her videos on mute. Nikki really isnt bothering me that much to the point where I need to make up a reason to hate on her.

Rap has been ? up for a long time. Can't blame it all on one person.
  • SlickestR
    Options
    honestly, like somebody said before Nicki Minaj was never a hip-hop artist in the first place...

she used hip-hop to the point where she didn't really need to do it anymore, and walked right into pop

where she can be at the level where she wanted to be and it worked wonders for her...

Plus... YMCMB don't really care for hip-hop by itself, them ? sign anyone who can make hit-selling records/good music (although some of us can disagree on their behalf)

in the past few years, they went from Kevin Rudolph, to Jay Sean to Lil Wayne doing Rock and now Nicki doing pop

i remember in one interview, Birdman wouldn't mind signing a country singer and slapping Lil Wayne on their as a feature...
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nicki can make pop records if she wants. Who the ? anchored her down as a rapper? only one dimensional no talent hacks like Jay Z and Kanye West stay in one lane their whole lives. You ? should be grateful that Nicki has grown from your average mixtape rapper on the DVD's to a pop icon. ? are mad because she gets bigger, better and reinvents her self at the snap of the finger. That takes courage and dedication and those principles dont exist on the male side of the hip hop spectrum anymore because these ? rappers like Pusha T too scared to be their own men thats why they end up in their FORTIES still rapping about ? lying about they did in 1988. I rather hear Nicki talk about starships and glitter than to hear some homosexual rapper in denial rap about selling ? 4 decades ago. Us ? should be cheering for Nicki. This is why I said ? NEW YORK in that other thread. She is on pepsi commericals, grammies, superbowl representing Queens, NY. This is a BIG look for hip hop and black women in general. This Queen is getting the money and instead of NYers embracing her they hate on her.
  • starvin
    starvin Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    Nicki can make pop records if she wants. Who the ? anchored her down as a rapper? only one dimensional no talent hacks like Jay Z and Kanye West stay in one lane their whole lives. You ? should be grateful that Nicki has grown from your average mixtape rapper on the DVD's to a pop icon. ? are mad because she gets bigger, better and reinvents her self at the snap of the finger. That takes courage and dedication and those principles dont exist on the male side of the hip hop spectrum anymore because these ? rappers like Pusha T too scared to be their own men thats why they end up in their FORTIES still rapping about ? lying about they did in 1988. I rather hear Nicki talk about starships and glitter than to hear some homosexual rapper in denial rap about selling ? 4 decades ago. Us ? should be cheering for Nicki. This is why I said ? NEW YORK in that other thread. She is on pepsi commericals, grammies, superbowl representing Queens, NY. This is a BIG look for hip hop and black women in general. This Queen is getting the money and instead of NYers embracing her they hate on her.

I listen to hip hop for hip hop, If I wanna hear katy perry pop I'll listen to something else.
  • Washington_Red
    Washington_Red Members Posts: 255
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Just to put things in perspective.

I copped It Was Written the day it dropped and back then we used to argue all the time about whether or not If I Ruled the World was a POP song. A lot of heads to this day will tell you that Nas sold out on that album and that Lauryn turned her back on rap.

Its ironic that last nights "real Hip Hop" moment was Nas & Lauryn Hill on stage together.
  • SlickestR
    Options

dude, she's only 2 albums in... take the ? out your mouth. You're acting like she's been her for 10 years.
  • SupremeXXV
    SupremeXXV Members Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How do people assume that someone is mad/angry/hater because he or she says a song/album is wack? That's just a way to defend some ? that an artist did...Just call 'em a hater and then all of the "followers" (twitter reference) will go all out and attack.
  • MAKAVELI25
    MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options

dude, she's only 2 albums in... take the ? out your mouth. You're acting like she's been her for 10 years.

No offense, breh, but why do you even waste time reading Tompetrez posts? Dude is about as credible/impartial a poster as my mother or Gee 757
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

...yeah 808's and Heartbreaks wasn't hip-hop and neither is what Nicki is doing... So what i'm tryna get at is...

why didn't people bash Kanye when he dropped 808's and why are they bashing Nicki when she dropped Starships..

But people did bash that 808's and Heartbreak album and I was one of them. Nicki was just confused about the terms of POP and Hip Hop. If she wanted to be a POP artist then she should stop calling her music Hip Hop.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is a difference in naturally evolving and becoming popular (see Outkast), and there is blatantly selling out (see Nicki). You can obviously tell the chick sold the ? out.

1. She bit Lady Gaga's crazy outfits
    2. She went and use all of Lady Gaga's producers after Lady Gaga dropped them
    3. She went and use Lady Gaga's choreographer/show designer after Lady Gaga dropped her
    4. She switched up her music and started making electro pop music like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Rihanna (same producers)

You can tell when a artist naturally evolve, plus the ? can't sing and her music is horrible period. I could see if she could sing and perform, it comes off as forced and corny to me.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited June 2012
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    There is a difference in naturally evolving and becoming popular (see Outkast), and there is blatantly selling out (see Nicki). You can obviously tell the chick sold the ? out.

3. She went and use Lady Gaga's choreographer/show designer after Lady Gaga dropped her
    4. She switched up her music and started making electro pop music like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Rihanna (same producers)

You can tell when a artist naturally evolve, plus the ? can't sing and her music is horrible period. I could see if she could sing and perform, it comes off as forced and corny to me.
    ? its europop, not electro pop lol o_O And Nicki been using LaurieAnn Gibson since 2010 through Diddy. Gaga fired her like 6 months ago. THEE ? you talkin about?
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The electro/euro-synth sounds doing her best Gaga impersonation is where Nicki is ? up.

• andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nobody is trying to tie her down to just being a rapper, but don't say "she was never a real rapper in the first place"..that's ? and all you ? caping for her know it..she sure seemed like a rapper in all them videos and interviews in the "hood"..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDXvU1crgps
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? its europop, not electro pop lol o_O And Nicki been using LaurieAnn Gibson since 2010 through Diddy. Gaga fired her like 6 months ago. THEE ? you talkin about?

Europop is electronic music fool, it's techno/house/etc. LaurieAnn Gibson got hired by Nicki right after she was fired by Lady Gaga, and Nicki damn sure wasn't on that weird ass Lady Gaga stage ? (The Grammy wackness) until she started working with LaurieAnn Gibson.

Any one with a brain clearly see Nicki is trying to market herself as a black Lady Gaga. She is no different that Lil Wayne, see some ? working and jump on the trend.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just want to ? her face
  • SlickestR
    edited June 2012
    Options
    MAKAVELI25 wrote: »

No offense, breh, but why do you even waste time reading Tompetrez posts? Dude is about as credible/impartial a poster as my mother or Gee 757

none taken, that post was ridiculous as ?
  • moedays
    moedays Members Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think Kanye got a pass because his mom had just died.
  • SlickestR
    Options

But people did bash that 808's and Heartbreak album and I was one of them. Nicki was just confused about the terms of POP and Hip Hop. If she wanted to be a POP artist then she should stop calling her music Hip Hop.

she said she eventually wants to do pop...

So you're saying that 808's and Heartbreak had the same heavy criticism that Pink Friday Reloaded/Starships have?

there's people that actually like Kanye's "pop" album..