Is Meek Mill Only New Hype Or Will He Have A Long & Successful Career?

Options

Comments

• tab58064
    tab58064 Members Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hold on I just remembered, he sold out on that house party track
    And that ? was garbage.

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Nothing great about Meek, ima boss was what blew him, and its mainly the beats and the hype that carry him. Everything new will get old. However if he keep on that street ? n link up with Cassidy n d block nthat he will ALWAYS be considered is hard!

Why would he take a step back and link of with Cassidy and D Block, rappers that don't have as big a buzz as he does right now
  • young_belvi
    young_belvi Members Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like Meek (nh), but everytime I hear him rap I can't help but think he is exactly what Sylvester the cat from ? Tunes would sound like if he could flow.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvtnyXZ98OIYIiObdENylYPygG2mvpa4Ng416V7gva04VG7TaOkw
  • tab58064
    Options
    Microwave Hip Hop @t its Finest...5 minute rice bag ass rapper..

I give it to him...I actually listened to Dreamchasers 2..His flow is killer on some tracks but IT JUST AIN'T ENUFF!!

Its like eating a 99 cent mcdonald burger with a laxative..the ? just don't last..

Its like a ? high..15 seconds of bliss..(From what I heard lol)

Nas and Kendrick are like some good ? ..Nice buzz for hours

Meek Millz=? rap

Nas=? Mystic Hip Hop
    We call it Alka Seltzer music. Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz......gone!

• tab58064
    Options
    memphis10 wrote: »
    I think meek might make it...but his success long term depends on what he can do once maybach run is up. he got the south and the east coast on fire right now
    Good point. He needs to start now establishing a broader fanbase because right now he has pretty-much only the hood/streets and teens to very young adults who think he's kool because Rick Ross has co-signed him. The bigger question is will he establish himself like Drake who can stand on his own now without Wayne?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    meek has alot of room for growth, real raw talent with the core of the streets behind him.....

so yea he'll be good for the long run..
  • tab58064
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Longer than J. Cole.
    Last time I checked J. Cole is still featuring, touring, and will put another album out. He's still talked about and so is his music so I think J. Cole will be around for a minute AND he's managed to make his way without leaning on Jay-Z so heavily unlike Meek leans on Ross.

• tab58064
    Options
    there's alot of ? experts in here, if i was to tell you in 2006, that in 6 years Rick RO$$ will become a force to B reckon with, how many would of actually believed me????

if i was to tell you in 97', that the youngest ? with the braids in the Hot Boyz, will become an iconic figure in the music biz, who would believe me?

if i was to tell you in 96', that the camel face ? . will become the GOAT/formidable entrepreneur, who would believe me????

if i was to tell you in 91', that lil ? from Oakland, with the NY cut will be a Deity in music, who would believe me???

ain't no telling what will happen of Meek, 2-3 years from now.
    And if I tell you that those success stories are so few and far between that the likelihood of any artists making it to those levels are so farfetched that it's not worth talking about would you agree with me?

• tab58064
    Options
    have you guys not heard this ? voice? ? is ? the most annoying voice in hiphop. Esp at that hot 97 concert when dude was just yellin. ? meek mills man that ? suck
    The voice and the yelling is what I dislike the most about dude. who the ? wants to hear a whole album of that? I think a lot of people just ride that "newest latest"/"he's down with this person" ? and will overlook ? that would make them not like any other artists who does the same ? . I honestly believe that his voice and the yelling makes me pay less attention to his rhymes or at the very least those issues overshadow his rhymes to me.

• tab58064
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    It depends on weather he can show if he is a artist and write records, he must show some diversity beyond yelling.
    Co-sign.

• tab58064
    Options
    In real life the East has few artists to offer to the masses. Meek is the best thing poppin from Philly 2 NY in a long time. I rock with ASAP, I ? with French, but other than them who's new (excluding Saigon)?

Yall just don't have too much to offer mainstream wise and y'all will have no choice but to back Meek Mill becuz of the format of Rap he makes. There's a lot of Veterans in NY who's career never really jumped off like that. Other than Fab, Fat Joe, 50, Kiss, Jimmy, and maybe Cam who do y'all actually have?

But I agree with most of y'all, his energy is raw and he needs to expand his content. I could tell u exactly what else he's missing specifically that could give him longevity too.
    To correct you, there are plenty of artists in the east and probably more that are way better than most of the ? in the south, but the south and dumbed-down lyrics over big beats that often sound the same is what's hot right now. Artist from the east typically focus on lyrics more-so than the beat and the hook where in the out it's all about the beat and the hook really. East coast artists either have to relax the way that they were raised to do rap music to fit the southern sound and audience or they won't make it. And again, it all depends on who co-signs you from the south.

• tab58064
    Options
    blackbloc wrote: »
    n.mcfly wrote: »
    Nah he'll fade like jeezy did

when did jeezy fade?
    He faded and made his way back. No doubt people had started to move away from Jeezy a couple of years ago.

• mike06
    mike06 Members Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tab58064 wrote: »
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Longer than J. Cole.
    Last time I checked J. Cole is still featuring, touring, and will put another album out. He's still talked about and so is his music so I think J. Cole will be around for a minute AND he's managed to make his way without leaning on Jay-Z so heavily unlike Meek leans on Ross.

why is it considering "leaning" on Ross as opposed to Ross "pushing" his artist to the public?
  • GeE-757
    GeE-757 Members Posts: 6,441
    edited June 2012
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    His voice and flow is unique, his background story is movie worthy, he's bringing the "Bike-Life" back to the forefront of the culture and we all watched him grow up on Smack DVD's and YouTube.

He has Rocnation, MMG, & Warner behind him and he just turned 25. The sky is the limit.

He will have a successful career because once you get your city behind you and the streets behind you all you need is the hustle and he got plenty of hustle.

Comgrats to Meek for his first International tour this Summer.

i think people miss;d this post cuz meek millz future is lookin BRIGHT!
    Good look with the belief that he'll go gold. If Nicki Minaj with her pop ass couldn't mamage going gold with millions of fans I doubt very seriously if Meek Mill can manage doing it. I know enough about Meek Mill to conclude that he's riding off of his association with Rick Ross and unless something might great changes with him he'll be no different than your average AVERAGE artist who drops his 1st album and does ok because of anticipation and when the 2nd album drops it'll do nothing. He's almost like Soulja Boy's situation, but he's a far better rapper. People will grow out of him. Mainly teenagers to early to mid 20 year olds ride with him. Also in that song I'mma A Boss the beat/production and the fact Rick Ross was in it was 75% of what made that song hot. Take Ross out of having anything to do with Meek or that song and watch how quickly everybody would've had less interest in it. He just thru the whole damn song!

1st off meek mill is poppin n da streetz way mo then J COLE & they both is ROCNATION so if cole can go gold i dont c y meek mill cant...
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If he just talks about drugs ? and cars all day only a few years his subject matter is very limited
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    there's alot of ? experts in here, if i was to tell you in 2006, that in 6 years Rick RO$$ will become a force to B reckon with, how many would of actually believed me????

if i was to tell you in 97', that the youngest ? with the braids in the Hot Boyz, will become an iconic figure in the music biz, who would believe me?

if i was to tell you in 96', that the camel face ? . will become the GOAT/formidable entrepreneur, who would believe me????

if i was to tell you in 91', that lil ? from Oakland, with the NY cut will be a Deity in music, who would believe me???

ain't no telling what will happen of Meek, 2-3 years from now.
    And if I tell you that those success stories are so few and far between that the likelihood of any artists making it to those levels are so farfetched that it's not worth talking about would you agree with me?

Ironically the industry is full with them... it's the opposite that's a minority.

Kanye West
    50 Cents
    Missy Elliot
    Drake
    DMX
    Kendrick Lamar
    Eminem
    Ne-Yo
    R.Kelly
    J.Cole
    Wale

ETC.ETC.
    majority of these big name artitsts had to go thru hell to get to where there are or were.ain't ? over night ?
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When you can make songs like, faded too long, that speak to millions of people hearts, you aren't going anywhere. A select few can make songs like that, and that's why meek is a top rapper in the game.
  • GeE-757
    GeE-757 Members Posts: 6,441
    Options
    He won't be around or as relevant as Fab has been IMO. Fab has a lot of hits under his belt and he did it without counting on who he was associated with. When Ross loses steam he'll be damn-near like Lloyd Banks when he was held-up by 50 any more. The streets ? with Banks heavy, but that ain't enough to keep you relevant in the industry for most artists.....and Banks can spit.

smh@ u tryna compare meek mill & lloyd blankz cuz MEEK MILL is SELFMADE he was poppin on his own wit out MMG thatz y he was runnin wit grand hustle fa a minute rick ross didnt make meek mill mmg is just a steppin stone fa meek mill...LLOYD BLANKZ is just woodfacez FLUNKIE he wouldnt b ? wit out woodface yeah lloyd pumper can spit but he rapz wit a FROG n his mouf & he wouldve neva made it on his own wit out da GGGGAY-UNIT name!
    iron man1 wrote: »
    If he just talks about drugs ? and cars all day only a few years his subject matter is very limited

all imma say is go listen 2 DC1 & DC2 cuz that aint meek mill he spitz about everythang from real struggle ? 2 materialistic.....
  • mike06
    mike06 Members Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah and last i checked he's still young so what would you expect him to talk about?....it caters to his young fanbase which helps sustain his career right now even without an album....if @ 30 he's still rappin like he's 20 then thats a problem but the boy gets busy and really has a solid support system behind...with or without Ross...
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Inyourmomsroom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F0yRjm_d6s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yeah "Faded to long" is almost at 1 million views.

I don't think the average listener is aware of songs like this one or "Used to Be", "Big Dreams" & "On my Way".

He put 4 positive songs on "DC2" and a few of the net-bloggers still say he's a one-trick pony which shows you that you can NEVER take the majority of these opinions seriously. They just type words of if orange when it comes to music.

When your forte is club/car/concert songs that are the background music for summer cook-outs then your core fan base expects the bulk of your discography to contain those types of songs and Meek will drop a 20 song Mixtape and give is that positive/inspirational joint after ever 5 bangers.

The weeding process is in effect, weed out the phony fans and let the true fans speak on the man the music and the movement.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Unfortunately, i dont think he will. he's in between that Fabolous and Young Chris lane in terms of that raw ability, but I dont know if he got that "it" whatever it is. I'll continue supporting him even when he's not as popular as he is now. I guess his numbers will speak for him, but i don't know about him three years from now... yall remember that kid Lupe Fiasco?...

Fortunately meek is great situation right now... ala Young Buck , Obie Trice, & Game were back in the 2003-2004 era, where you have the right connections by association, so it doesnt take that much effort to win. he'll win by being backed up and being associated with the right people right now. We will see. i hope he proves me wrong.

He better not make the simple mistake of biting the hands that are feeding him...
  • Supreme_Mind999
    Supreme_Mind999 Members Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    @Inyourmomsroom

I don't think the average listener is aware of songs like this one or "Used to Be", "Big Dreams" & "On my Way".

He put 4 positive songs on "DC2" and a few of the net-bloggers still say he's a one-trick pony which shows you that you can NEVER take the majority of these opinions seriously. They just type words of if orange when it comes to music.

When your forte is club/car/concert songs that are the background music for summer cook-outs then your core fan base expects the bulk of your discography to contain those types of songs and Meek will drop a 20 song Mixtape and give is that positive/inspirational joint after ever 5 bangers.

The weeding process is in effect, weed out the phony fans and let the true fans speak on the man the music and the movement.

Real Talk...That Song is heat...

This is the problem tho...All the POPPING BOTTLES SELLING BRICKS content makes that ? sound null and void...I overstand the business aspect of releasing the "candy" songs for the ppl who don't like veggies..

But making all that ? rap and then chasing it with a lil superficial positivity is futile

Its like a kingpin slanging boat loads of drugs destroying his community and then thinking he's going to remedy ppl's chemical addiction/afflictions caused by the drugs with some clothes drive or holiday turkey handout..Its like in the movie new jack city when nino was handing out turkeys,that ? didn't hide the fact that the drugs he was slanging had crackbabies being born and ppl getting strung out..

These ppl in the ghetto don't need any more sob stories..? that..These ppl in the ghetto need some REAL guidance whether it be in a song or else..They need REAL information to transform their lives for the better...

Some dietary advice or business investments to grow their community

Making 100 stunt in your face cuz you broke and i'm rich songs and then dropping a couple "Struggle" songs comes off as phony to the real people who see thru that ?
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Inyourmomsroom

This is the problem tho...All the POPPING BOTTLES SELLING BRICKS content makes that ? sound null and void...I overstand the business aspect of releasing the "candy" songs for the ppl who don't like veggies..

But making all that ? rap and then chasing it with a lil superficial positivity is futile

Its like a kingpin slanging boat loads of drugs destroying his community and then thinking he's going to remedy ppl's chemical addiction/afflictions caused by the drugs with some clothes drive or holiday turkey handout..Its like in the movie new jack city when nino was handing out turkeys,that ? didn't hide the fact that the drugs he was slanging had crackbabies being born and ppl getting strung out..

These ppl in the ghetto don't need any more sob stories..? that..These ppl in the ghetto need some REAL guidance whether it be in a song or else..They need REAL information to transform their lives for the better...

Making 100 stunt in your face cuz you broke and i'm rich songs and then dropping a couple "Struggle" songs comes off as phony to the real people who see thru that ?

has any rapper actually done what you describe tho?
  • Supreme_Mind999
    Supreme_Mind999 Members Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    @Inyourmomsroom

has any rapper actually done what you describe tho?

Yeah in more ways than one..Imma do it!!!..i may not have millions of bandwagon fans but I will have a impact
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Inyourmomsroom

You sound like I did two years ago when I was wild-eyed, naive and optimistic about the future of our culture.

They gave me an offer I couldnt refuse and as an editor I have no opionion/voice I just fact check, stat-check and add the "urban" flavor to articles and reviews that I rarely agree with...but it feeds my babies. its difficult for me to overly criticize the "machine" when Im a cog in that very machine but just a ? in the major scope of things.

Our people are hard-headed and they have embraced anti-intellectualism with a tightened grip that has been loosed to a degree but they refuse to let go.

I have come to the conclusion that the only viable solution is the formula of 4 parts Sugar and 1 parts Medicine.

Negroes nowadays outright reject anything they might deem as "preaching & teaching" so the only way to medicate their sick-minds is to overload their senses with the sugar and then drop a few spoons of medicine.

Meek is a hedonistic man-child but right now he has captured that vibratory frequency that resonates in the streets and the slums.

Our people champion the super-hustlers who use street-poetry to rise from the death and despair of their enviornments and we invest in them, root for them, and believe in them because they represent the hopes and dreams that we all have for those at the bottom of society to make it to the top without conforming to the very same society that stacked the deck against us.