Will Smith rigged his career for $$$. Bill Simmons on Will Smith as an actor.

Options

Comments

• Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    studying trends in the game seems like the blueprint to success to anything that is done

Will studying the most successful movies during that time period and through history helped him ? the matrix of Hollywood

i applaud instead of criticize. But I would like to know what power and influence he obtained to make those moves, because an ordinary kat such as myself needs assistance to break through in what I do on my everyday job. Just me being me won't get me to where I know I can be; there is another factor included that isn't talked about.
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    i couldnt even imagine will smith as a villain
    ? wouldnt be right

a villain slaughters a family,
    u look up and see

tumblr_lfvm3prHRW1qbnoiso1_400.gif

? that

thats will smith

jus keep saving the damn planet/universe in interesting ways with some humor and attitude.
    thats wtf i go to see a will smith movie for.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anytime u bring up russel crowe when talking bout will smith that aint nothing but hate....will smith makes mad money because his movies are that good

how a movie does at the box office is not indicative of its quality.

true..
    but high grossing action flicks is not indicative of quality of actor either
  • Copper
    Options
    Anytime u bring up russel crowe when talking bout will smith that aint nothing but hate....will smith makes mad money because his movies are that good

true..
    but high grossing action flicks is not indicative of quality of actor either

• Copper
    edited June 2012
    Options
    True story: When Smith was trapped on the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air set in the early '90s, dreaming of starring in movies instead of selling Alfonso Ribeiro's jokes, Smith and his manager, James Lassiter, studied a list of the top 10 grossing films ever. Here's what Smith told Time Magazine in 2007: "We looked at (the list) and said, O.K., what are the patterns? We realized that 10 out of 10 had special effects. Nine out of 10 had special effects with creatures. Eight out of 10 had special effects with creatures and a love story."

the bolded makes him even more trill than when he was slapping phaggets in paris the other week...

will is making hollywood work for him not the other way around...the white man and some of yall ? is made b/c he figured out a way to maximize his money and superstar status thus making it possible to continue to maximize his money....
    any actor in hollywood that can pick and choose his own roles like him, dicaprio and crowe has my respect as an actor...its what ur goal should be if ur in hollywood..rather than giving a ? bout the white mans emmys and standards for a great thespian....

*awaits for word on Bad Boys 3*
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wills connected to a higher power... No one is that talented...
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

just because one of 10 people dont think the movie is good to them doesnt mean it actually sucks.....prime example twilight saga....it may not be for you but ? them little white girls love ? like that and to them that's a good movie especially if they're second week numbers are very good
  • vageneral08
    Options
    skooby2315 wrote: »
    ? the dude who wrote this with his hating ass. and he said I am Legend was a bad movie wtf

Are you sick?
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited June 2012
    Options

just because one of 10 people dont think the movie is good to them doesnt mean it actually sucks.....prime example twilight saga....it may not be for you but ? them little white girls love ? like that and to them that's a good movie especially if they're second week numbers are very good

majority opinion isn't indicative of quality either. things like twilight, harry potter, hunger games, etc. are bad examples because those have prior followings due to them having bestselling books. there's more to going to see one of those movies than having your interest built through seeing a trailer. if millions of people enjoyed the books then of course they'll go see the movie.

will is a summer blockbuster dude. people like to be entertained during the summer. putting out an action movie with one or a few stars pretty much guarantees a box office success in that season. i'm not sayin will's movies are trash (some are but whatever). i'm just sayin there's more to his movies seeing a big profit than them actually being good movies.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1st Will is not a Top 10 actor and I don't think he view himself as that. But he is a talent actor. The fact he has been able to glide through mutiple genre's is proof of this. Drama (Where the day takes you, 6 Degrees, Bagger Vance, Ali, Happyness, 7 Pounds) Suspense/Thriller (I am Legend, Enemy of the State) Sci-Fi/Comedy (MIB Trilogy, WWwest) Comedy (Made in America, Hitch) Animation (Shark Tale) Action (Bad Boys 1 + 2, Independence Day, I Robit). Yes he has mostly done Sci-Fi but he does have a diverse catalog.

Also nothing is a lock to be a Blockbuster, Will studied patterns but that doesn't mean he was going to be a success. The reason he is a success is people LIKE Will, He's just a likable guy. He's someone you would want to hang out with or if you saw on the street you would say what's up. Fresh Prince the rapper and the show is why America and the world fell in love with Will. He's got Oscar nods so people need to stop acting like he only does Action/Blockbusters cause he does it all, you can't put Will in 1 Genre. But Denzel is better than Will, Leo might be slightly better but that's cause of the directors he works with.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $135,901,094 27.8%
    + Foreign: $352,100,000 72.2%
    = Worldwide: $488,001,094

MIB 3 Gross Worldwide after only 3 weeks in theaters. Forgive Will for not wanting to play a Runaway Slave in a western, he already played a "Slave" character in "Bagger Vance" and a Western in "Wild Wild West". MIB 3 was a smart move after taking 4 years off and as it approaches 700 Million Worldwide, Will proves once again he's the biggest box office star in the world. The "Men In Black" Trilogy will have grossed over 1.7 Billion when this is over. So for the person that said, "Noboby will remember MIB 3", 700 Million reasons why that is not true.

will_smith.jpg

With 2 Oscar and Golden Glode Noms already, Will one day will get an Oscar.
  • vageneral08
    Options

majority opinion isn't indicative of quality either. things like twilight, harry potter, hunger games, etc. are bad examples because those have prior followings due to them having bestselling books. there's more to going to see one of those movies than having your interest built through seeing a trailer. if millions of people enjoyed the books then of course they'll go see the movie.

will is a summer blockbuster dude. people like to be entertained during the summer. putting out an action movie with one or a few stars pretty much guarantees a box office success in that season. i'm not sayin will's movies are trash (some are but whatever). i'm just sayin there's more to his movies seeing a big profit than them actually being good movies.

there's been books stories that made the big screen that some people didnt enjoy and would rather read the book they dont get everything from the book when they make the movie they do leave things out......to me will is doing his thing people everybody is considering him just an actor but he's really a rapper turned actor which was a great move by him
  • vageneral08
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Leo is a great actor but he's don't have the range on rolls he can do like Smith.

lol ay bruh........
  • darkrain
    darkrain Members Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I always thought it was a shame that Will Smith always played pretty much the same character in every movie. Sure, there will be a tinge of bad ass-ness here (Bad Boys) or heart-breaking player there (Hitch), but for the most part, his characters are him, don't get me wrong and I enjoy watching him, but after every film I see him in, I expect the credits to say...Will Smith, played by Will Smith.

Seriously, look at his movie upcoming list:

Bad Boys 3
    I, Robot 2
    Hancock 2

Are you ? kidding me?. Seriously, who wants to watch those movies?. I haven't seen MIB 3 and won't bother to watch it.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ the folks in here upset he wont play a slave in a quinten tarrentino movie, not many will...dude seems lowkey racist sometimes. But yall happy the black man get to ? ? after he bought and ? his wife..and she probally end up falling for leonardo so choke on that...vintage tarrentino twist. ? that movie.

• S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So Will's next finished movie is an M.Night flick? Will must really getting paid to help save his career and make another bankable movie. What happened to the Last Pharaoh film...
  • SleepwalkingInJapan
    SleepwalkingInJapan Members Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? the ? Will and Denzel are remaking this flick... d7d328ad13b9e6c268c5497ee5b22d53.jpg
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Uptown Saturday Night?

Man,

wonder if they will do Lets DO It Again
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who's gonna take over the mantle from Denzel as the major Black actor when he gets grey and old?

Definitely not Will Smith. LOL
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The writer (who is Caucasian by the way)

Not surprised.

• deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »

C'mon, b. How many times have ppl on this board said that Will needs to switch it up and play a villain already. Srsly, Will. Play. A. ? . Villain. A psychopath. He'd CRUSH that kind of role in a summer blockbuster. Do a Face-Off type flick w/ Denzel or summin damn. Shieeeeit Training Day HELPED Denzel's drawing power.

He won't play that kind of role because he knows he wouldn't be convincing.

I mean...seriously...Will Smith???

Playing a villain???

I may be wrong, but I can't see it.

He's a good actor, but he's not on Denzel's level.

• BK Product
    BK Product Members Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    darkrain wrote: »
    I always thought it was a shame that Will Smith always played pretty much the same character in every movie. Sure, there will be a tinge of bad ass-ness here (Bad Boys) or heart-breaking player there (Hitch), but for the most part, his characters are him, don't get me wrong and I enjoy watching him, but after every film I see him in, I expect the credits to say...Will Smith, played by Will Smith.

Seriously, look at his movie upcoming list:

Bad Boys 3
    I, Robot 2
    Hancock 2

Are you ? kidding me?. Seriously, who wants to watch those movies?. I haven't seen MIB 3 and won't bother to watch it.

raises hand......
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »
    Swiffness! wrote: »

C'mon, b. How many times have ppl on this board said that Will needs to switch it up and play a villain already. Srsly, Will. Play. A. ? . Villain. A psychopath. He'd CRUSH that kind of role in a summer blockbuster. Do a Face-Off type flick w/ Denzel or summin damn. Shieeeeit Training Day HELPED Denzel's drawing power.

He won't play that kind of role because he knows he wouldn't be convincing.

I mean...seriously...Will Smith???

Playing a villain???

I may be wrong, but I can't see it.

He's a good actor, but he's not on Denzel's level.

And that is the issue...You can't see it...I can't...They can't...you can see Leo playin' any role...
  • young chad
    young chad Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭
    Options
    What....the ? ...did I just read?! The ONLY reason I kept reading was to see just how deep the hatred in this article actually ran. I really do hate when people say "so and so actor doesn't push himself far enough"...those are the same people who look at Heath Ledger's death and say "wtf that idiot pushed himself TOO far, it's just a movie..geez"..

Who in their right mind would do something to please someone else, especially when their main concern is making sure their family is eating good. The REAL fact of the matter is, "certain folks" are mad that the biggest person in Hollywood is a BLACK MAN..and I almost never pull the race card but DAMN. Bruce Willis plays the same role in every ? movie...from Die Hard to G.I. Joe, with a little Surrogate and Expendables sprinkled in...same with countless other big name stars Tom Cruise, Ryan Gosling, ? even Denzel if we being real. Mofos mad because they see Will has staying power and is NOW passing it on to his children and they are becoming bankable..THAT is ? people off...all this hate is unnecessary from the author of this article!
  • young chad
    young chad Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭
    Options
    And by the ? way...Will Smith's entire career is "a chance"...this writer might not know just how hard it is to get a film funded LET ALONE something with a black lead character and a budget over say...5mil...Will Smith has knocked down a lot of the same doors in the movie biz as he did in the music biz...it's ? sad that people give him the same criticism (always in hindsight mind you) when people come behind him and do things slightly bigger, maybe even better...BECAUSE he opened the door for them to do so. Will Smith is truly a once in a generation type of human being when it comes to entertainment...he's MICHAEL JACKSON without the pain pill addiction/affinity for remaining a 9 year old...Will Smith honestly gets WAY too much flack for being a "good" guy. WTF @ this article "he'd never show us bad cop Will Smith "bad husband will smith" etc..and WHY the ? should he?! We get enough "black people are subpar humans" in movie type roles...we don't need our biggest star taking those roles too...in reality they WANT him to take those roles so he can be humbled and have "someone else" over his head...knock him down a rung and say..."stay in your place ? , and appreciate what we give you"...who the ? wants to see Will Smith as Django unchained...killing crackas in a movie where the black lead is getting repeatedly ? ...he has INTERNATIONAL fans that ARENT about that SLAVE LIFE to please...Japanese, British, Russian fans etc don't want to see Will Smith taking a whip to the back...only white america wants to see that ? ...