How do you feel about Curren$y & K.R.I.T's first week numbers? (41K & 36K)

Options
H-Rap 180
H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in The Reason

Big K.R.I.T.'s "Live From The Underground" and Curren$y's "The Stoned Immaculate" crush the charts and expectations. Tyga's "Careless World" also gains some strong ground after months at retail.

Two major label albums debuted in the Top 10 this week. Meridian, Mississippi's Big K.R.I.T. has won Mixtape Of The Year at HipHopDX for the last two consecutive years. With his first studio album, the Cinematic Music Group/Def Jam Records sensation snagged a Top 5 debut by a margin of less than 2,000 units. His friend and collaborator Curren$y's second Warner Bros. Records release, billed as his first official album, The Stoned Immaculate , was three spots behind. This is Spitta's first Top 10 appearance, in a lengthy career of physical and digital projects, several of which appeared on the Top 200. Both of these albums were available for free stream online prior to release, perhaps hinting to a new promotional method proven successful. Also noteworthy, Tyga gained an impressive 14 spots, while label-mates Nicki Minaj, Drake and Lil Wayne all lost chart places from the previous week.

Big K.R.I.T. Might Not Be So Underground After All

DXnext alum Big K.R.I.T.'s Live From The Underground sold over 41,000 first-week units. The major label release featuring 8Ball & MJG, Ludacris and Blues icon B.B. King was less than 2,000 units behind Neil Young & Crazy Horse's latest album as well. The breakthrough album from the emcee/producer features 2011 single "Money On The Floor," and solo single "I Got This." The album has pulled critical acclaim from a number of media outlets, including a 4.5 out of 5 at HipHopDX.

Curren$y's Breakthrough Scores A Top 10

After two Def Jam-distributed albums in 2010 and a charting mixtape last year, New Orleans, Louisiana veteran Curren$y has billed The Stoned Immaculate as his official debut. The response showed, giving Spitta not only his first Top 20 appearance, but a coveted Top 10. Now backed by Warner Bros., the release features Rap peers Wiz Khalifa and K.R.I.T., in addition to '90s stars Fiend and Daz Dillinger. Curren$y told DX last month, "I went a lil' further than I usually do," and the fans seemed to have responded.

Hip Hop Album Sales: The Week Ending 6/10/2012

#5. Big K.R.I.T. - Live From The Underground - 41,000 (41,000)

#8. Curren$y - The Stoned Immaculate - 36,000 (36,000)

#22. Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded - 35,000 (522,000)

#42. Drake - Take Care - 8,300 (1,770,000)

#43. B.o.B. - Strange Clouds - 8,200 (149,000)

#70. Tyga - Careless World: Rise Of The Last King - 5,600 (244,000)

#72. Travis Porter - From Day 1 - 5,500 (20,000)

#86. Future - Pluto - 5,000 (102,000)

#106. Jay-Z & Kanye West - Watch The Throne - 4,200 (1,445,000)

#192. Childish Gambino - Camp - 2,200 (160,000)
* data comes from Nielsen Soundscan, rounded to nearest thousandth for units above 10,000, nearest hundredth for units below 10,000. Each week, HipHopDX presents top albums in Hip Hop/related, and five notables.

Is Stevie Stone the latest artist from Strange Music to rattle the charts' cage? Can Oddisee be the first Mello Music Group artist to hit the Top 200? Stay tuned to HipHopDX.

Hip Hop Album Sales: The Week Ending 6/10/2012 | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales | HipHop DX

Decent numbers?

Comments

• GeE-757
    GeE-757 Members Posts: 6,441
    edited June 2012
    Options
    yeah those is decent numberz fa underground artistz imean hell we got a former platinum sellin artist sellin 42k da 1st wk wit a GOLD SINGLE now so yeah those numberz is good.....da big surprize 2 me is FUTURE i didnt think he would sell ova 100k & tyga is doin good wit that ym c/s & smh@ TRAVIS PORTER
  • c.b.b.
    c.b.b. Members Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    41 & 36 K aren't too bad in this day & age. They both made the top 10. Travis Porter had way more radio & club spins and they only sold 20K total and 5K this past week (dayum that's horrible)
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's great numbers for underground artist. Not everybody can sell gold first week.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's great numbers for underground artist. Not everybody can sell gold first week.

cosign
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I say thats a win for the J.E.T.S.

41K with no real promotion or major label co-sign. Plus he stayed true to his sound on his first real mainstream release. Didnt sale his soul in a attempt to do numbers.
  • southernmade
    southernmade Members Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like everyone else said....good numbers to not have that many spins or air time with videos....made the type of music he wanted to make...he'll tour and maybe pick up more sales as he goes...

spitta did good as well....
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i ain't know numbers expert but folks being real nice b/c they like both dudes and their music. these some wack ass numbers let's keep it real, and i'm one of the 41,000 that brought Krit music
  • idoitforhiphop10
    edited June 2012
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    i ain't know numbers expert but folks being real nice b/c they like both dudes and their music. these some wack ass numbers let's keep it real, and i'm one of the 41,000 that brought Krit music

This is true to some extent lol. Like for example, say if Ross or 50 did these numbers, you know how many threads would be made sayin that they flopped? Spitta and K.R.I.T. don't attract haters, so nobosy is gonna condemn them if they sell high or low.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You know it's bad when good artists like Krit and Spitta can't hit 50k in a week, but Future can hit 100k in a month or so, Tyga can hit 200k in a couple months, Bob can hit 149k in a few weeks, and then Nicki Guetta can hit 500k.
  • GeE-757
    Options

fam LLOYD BLANKZ sold 42k da 1st wk on his last solo album & he had a GOLD SINGLE so these r good numberz fa spitta & krit..

• southernmade
    edited June 2012
    Options

This is true to some extent lol. Like for example, say if Ross or 50 did these numbers, you know how many threads would be made sayin that they flopped? Spitta and K.R.I.T. don't attract haters, so nobosy is gonna condemn them if they sell high or low.

you cant compare 50 and Ross to Krit and Spitta lol.....them boy's barely had any promo....I stay in Dallas and never heard I got this on the radio...not once and Texas is one of Krit's biggest markets.....I know of only one radio show in Dallas that plays Krits music....that show comes on Sundays at 8pm lol.....nobody's listening to the radio at that time unless you're a local artist waiting for your song to get played....

BoB did 79k with 3 songs on top 40! and two platinum singles and one gold single lol.....and he's not a new artist in the mainstream....now if you compare...those are wack numbers...as far as albums sold are concerned

• H-Rap 180
    Options

Well Curren$y and Big Krit are both on major labels (Def Jam & Interscope) so they had some machine behind them.

Nicki Minaj is in her 10th or 11th week and she moved what Spitta did his first week and people are still saying she flopped.

Music wise I liked both albums and neither artist went the POP route like it was mentione earlier so I salute the efforts while still feeling a little disappointed that the fans didn't support my brothers enough to get em to 50K or better like they deserved.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didn't know that KRIT and Currensy were as big and famous as Rick Ross and 50
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

when Wale 1st album bricked there was no mercy at all for that ?

imagine if J Cole did this numbers?

so you right in that Currency and krit don't bring out the haters like some artists do.

Now like I said I'm know numbers expert and realize everybody is struggling but I just like to be fair regardless if i like the artists music or not.

Hopefully these execs at the label will support them more and give them a 2nd go round.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's a start. Hopefully they can last a long career
  • yeah i rap so don't
    yeah i rap so don't Members Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    I say thats a win for the J.E.T.S.

41K with no real promotion or major label co-sign. Plus he stayed true to his sound on his first real mainstream release. Didnt sale his soul in a attempt to do numbers.

Those were KRIT's numbers. The order in the thread title is confusing. Krit and Currensy are on majors. The thing is, they were not fully supported by them. The numbers are good depending on how much money was invested in them and how much int he red they are. I think Krit's success will be long term and this is more like a foundation fro his career.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall still on 1st week sales, huh (sales at all, for that matter)

I cant speak for Krit, but just comin from seein Currensy in concert, his tour game = he's eatin.

1/2 months touring= the money he'll ultimately make off this album, real talk.
  • GeE-757
    edited June 2012
    Options
    how is these bad numberz when a former platinum sellin artist is doin 42k da 1st wk wit a GOLD SINGLE? did currensy & krit have a GOLD SINGLE?
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    smh at KRIT's numbers. Our fans aint ? .
  • idoitforhiphop10
    Options
    Im not sayin that currensy and krit are as popular as Ross or 50. @lamontbdc said that we just sayin that spitta and krits numbers are good becuz we're all fans of them, which is kinda true. What im sayin is that people would be screamin flop if guys like ross or 50 were to do these same numbers, and that's true.
  • southernmade
    Options

he aint trappin and killing ? bro....and barely had any radio/tv play...
  • H-Rap 180
    edited June 2012
    Options
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    Yall still on 1st week sales, huh (sales at all, for that matter)

I cant speak for Krit, but just comin from seein Currensy in concert, his tour game = he's eatin.

1/2 months touring= the money he'll ultimately make off this album, real talk.

First week sales can pretty much give you an indication of the publics interest in an artist and their project.

Depending on the sales success of albums like this the artists involved will either continue to receive the budgets they deserve to get some decent production and promotion or a smaller budget were the quality of the music could be compromised. (if they don't get dropped).

Sales success and sales failures also dictates the type of artists and the type of music that these labels crank out so fans of the culture who appreciate artists like K.R.I.T & Curren$y are rooting for them to have some sales success thus the reason why we discuss their sales.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited June 2012
    Options

he aint trappin and killing ? bro....and barely had any radio/tv play...

Yea I used to use that excuse as well. Dude has 236,000 fans following him on twitter. So u would think at least the majority of them would be fans. Not sure if he has a Facebook but I can imagine he has at least a few thousand fans on there as well. Lets add the amount of people who enjoyed those free mixtapes that dont use social networks. U would think out of all of those "fans" he has more then 41,000 people wouldve went out and supported dude. Like I said....the fans of this culture aint ?
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think krit should have pushed his ? back until he had a single ... I mean I think he could have done 100k first week with a better promotional campaign and a real single ... But that's just me ....spitta coming in at almost 40 thou is a win tho .... Not bad for either guy