Success the exception...Prison the rule...Wait, What?

Options
2stepz_ahead
2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in For The Grown & Sexy
Yes you read right. I went to my old hood the other day and this is the way of thinking...
i mean why is it that when someone makes something of themselves its looked at like "damn son, you made it"
in most communities being poor is more of a driving force to want to succeed. There is alot of things available to us and our people but why is the hood used as an excuse to not take advantage of it. Once i even heard the excuse that the white man doesnt want us to succeed. now even if this is true...why are you letting someone tell you what you cant have or what you can acheive if your not locked up.

so anyway...i was talking to this guy i grew up with... and he asked me why i dont come down to help as much as i used to. i told him that i became busy with trying to start a business... and he's like..".thats whats up, but your the exception" when i ask how and why... his reply is on the lines of well most of us has been locked up and cant get high paying jobs so its nothing to do but sell or do crime to make up for the lower wages. Also he said that no one wants anything because tomorrow is not promised.
so im on some ...well why do ? to get locked up or possibly speed up your death... this ni99a told me it "it gets you respect , because dudes fear you when your crazy and have nothing to lose and did some time and thats why no one is scared to get locked up anymore except nerds like you(meaning me)" then said that jail is the rule and success is the exception because thats the way the system was made and its was like 5 other people that agreed. One dude was like...if he had my parents he'd be where i am.

? got me mad and we almost came to blows...because i felt angry that this dude that used to help me with my homework is not thinking past the block and is ok with living with his girl and asking her to bail him out from time to time. this same dude has like 3boys and a girl and seems like this cycle will repeat itself

the ? is wrong with us...i cant say them or should i say hood mentality

Comments

• Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    true spit though... i realized that my mother had a lot to do with me not being completely sucked into that lifestly...
    it's already a strong part of me because of my enviorment... but that edge i had to make it out IMO soley rests on the values my moms pushed on me as a kid...

she did a great job at raising me to want more than just what the neighborhood offered
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    real ? don't start businesses, ?
    they set up shop and bust at cops
    ? is wrong you, geekazoid?
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I don't want to admit it but that is true. It's one of 3 mentalities. It's that Me, myself and I mentality (? ), It's they out to get me and don't want me to succeed, or it's ? it and let the next man do it. Just listening to how people can spew that ? out they mouth is enough to get you fighting mad. This morning I had to explain why it's every bodies duty to have a clean environment. She wasn't trying to hear that and it just seems like common sense to me. SMH at our future.
  • Bwoahmizzee
    Bwoahmizzee Members Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    the thing that always frustrates me is when ? say they can't get good money because they've been locked up

that's how they want you to feel. They want you to feel like you are out of the normal loop that we call society and they want you to give up

you gotta take the same business mindset and go hard attitude and channel that ? in the right direction

to be able to run a operation and deal with compettion and supply and demand and all that ? ............? your'e brilliant

channel that ? the right way
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    the thing that always frustrates me is when ? say they can't get good money because they've been locked up

that's how they want you to feel. They want you to feel like you are out of the normal loop that we call society and they want you to give up

you gotta take the same business mindset and go hard attitude and channel that ? in the right direction

to be able to run a operation and deal with compettion and supply and demand and all that ? ............? your'e brilliant

channel that ? the right way

right... i mean it's basically about who want tht ? the hardest... cuz there are plenty employers.. good employers that will hire a ? with a record, but the ones they hire are the ones who work the damn hardest to put himself in the position to get that job
  • Bwoahmizzee
    Bwoahmizzee Members Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    dusouljah wrote: »
    right... i mean it's basically about who want tht ? the hardest... cuz there are plenty employers.. good employers that will hire a ? with a record, but the ones they hire are the ones who work the damn hardest to put himself in the position to get that job

exactly if you don't give 100% you can't blame anybody but yourself

to overcome an obstacle is a great accomplishment in itself

if you see a wall don't look at as a barrier you just gotta figure out how you gonna get around that muthafucka

whether it be climb it, go around it,dig a muthafuckin tunnel under it just know it's not a barrier
  • new account2
    new account2 Members Posts: 1,469
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Ive heard that argument so many times and i can relate to about to be fighting a ? after those convos............truth be told tho, if you keep listing to ? , their mentality tells on them after that argument......they will have a lot of excuses as to why they dont/havent succeeded....oppputunitnies have presented themselves....they choose not to take advantage........

I dont even get into arguments like that anymore, its kinda pointless....they so stuck on they way of thinking you just waisting ur time........you drop the jewel for ? , if they eyes open and see its a jewel, they gonna pick it up........if they blind, oh well......

man its 2010........I know drop outs and felons who are successful in some aspect.....that whole argument is real 90s.....? succeed if they want to, no matter what life they in........barring a few ? up situations....

as a man you should never look at success as abnormal......
  • Wishbone Jones
    Wishbone Jones Members Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    dont go bak to the hood
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bringing this ? back...? bump!
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    u know a neighborhood is ? when going to the ? house gets u respect from other men....eww...i seen oz
  • harlem hustla
    harlem hustla Members Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got charged as an adult at 16 but so did alot of ? they sendin 15 yr olds str8 to the joint thats why young ? aint scared of prison.

But if yu smart you can learn alot in prison nd make some good connections
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But if yu smart you can learn alot in prison nd make some good connections

lol....? logic
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    real ? people fail 2 realize everybody story in da hood is different... ppl try and generalize it u cant... yes it is a blessing 2 get out da hood and " make it" cuz people dont realize dat the ? u see on da news/ worldstar news papers is ? that happens daily and it effects da people who is involved life.... p.o.m.e. even tho people have "choices" those choices change depending on each situation... u cant paint the problems da hood as jus black and white... there are so many grey areas that people dont consider.. age... family...money... resources... records.. mentality..drive..gender...out side forces...children... addictions...jobs... bills...wants...needs..region.. laws..education... race... other people with the same goal...ect... jus cuz you made it dont mean da next person can and/or will... in a capitalist society there HAS to be a low/poverty class that wont change...
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    real ? people fail 2 realize everybody story in da hood is different... ppl try and generalize it u cant... yes it is a blessing 2 get out da hood and " make it" cuz people dont realize dat the ? u see on da news/ worldstar news papers is ? that happens daily and it effects da people who is involved life.... p.o.m.e. even tho people have "choices" those choices change depending on each situation... u cant paint the problems da hood as jus black and white... there are so many grey areas that people dont consider.. age... family...money... resources... records.. mentality..drive..gender...out side forces...children... addictions...jobs... bills...wants...needs..region.. laws..education... race... other people with the same goal...ect... jus cuz you made it dont mean da next person can and/or will... in a capitalist society there HAS to be a low/poverty class that wont change...

You and Real Lady could be the next power couple.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    i aint even read all that ? .. stopped at..
    "so im on some ...well why do ? to get locked up or possibly speed up your death... "

that right there lets me know who id be dealin with if i chose to exchange dialogue..

lack of education AND FEAR is what keeps muthafuckas in the hood.. nothin more... nothin less..
    poor people out here thinkin the boogey man is waitin outside they neighborhood..

and i agree with the sentiment..
    people who get out are the exception.. NOT the rule..
  • backpackingrapper
    backpackingrapper Members Posts: 181
    Options
    BossBoo wrote: »
    "so im on some ...well why do ? to get locked up or possibly speed up your death... "

that right there lets me know who id be dealin with if i chose to exchange dialogue..

lack of education AND FEAR is what keeps muthafuckas in the hood.. nothin more... nothin less..
    poor people out here thinkin the boogey man is waitin outside they neighborhood..

Dead ? ass man, I be in newark and I tell my cousin lets walk around bloomfield and meet some mami's "Nah man, I don't wanna be walking out here, I'mma be hood sick." Hood sick? I love my cousins but HOOD SICK? I'm sick of the hood.
  • CapitalB
    Options
    BossBoo wrote: »

Dead ? ass man, I be in newark and I tell my cousin lets walk around bloomfield and meet some mami's "Nah man, I don't wanna be walking out here, I'mma be hood sick." Hood sick? I love my cousins but HOOD SICK? I'm sick of the hood.

yeh.. i dont understand it either..
    fight or flight.. u got a few who go fight and beat the odds.. u got others thats go run back to the comforts of they nest.. this case bein the hood..

and if u pay attention ull also notice that those who do get out and some sort of support system.. parents were educated.. a coach or someone PUSHING them out.. ? like that..

but i hate when ? be on some "well u shouldnt have went to jail ? " like a 14 yr old knows the magnitude of what he's doin is goin to affect the rest of his life.. like his momma and daddy who aint there stressed that to them..

u cant blame the ignorant.. u can the stupid.. but not the ignorant.. and most of the time by time these ? know its already too late..
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Since a lot threads about the hood, and ? has been posted lately....

http://youtu.be/gz063VuORVs
  • CapitalB
    Options
    jus read @damobb2deep's post..

real ? my ? ..