Doggstlye vs Ready To Die

Options
darkrain
darkrain Members Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in The Reason
I am just curious to see your response caise I was drinking andbuzzed and was listeing to Doggstyle and Ready 2 Die today.....I listened to a lot of classic albums today bu it had me thinking about Doggstyle vs Ready 2Die. Right now I', still listeniong to Ready To Die.

Comments

• SleepwalkingInJapan
    SleepwalkingInJapan Members Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? was 100% la/west coast ? ... RTD was 100% ny/east coast ?

its matter of taste.

• trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    doggystle but ready 2 die my ? tho..
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Both top 10 rap albums of all time.

? for me
  • darkrain
    Options
    Both are classic but Ready To Die only have one feature on R2D which is Method Man while Doggstyle got a bucnh of death row artists on Doggstyle and Snoop didn't even write his own ? on his first album. I love Doggstly but Ready To Die brought the East back on the map by Biggie Small. GOT DAMN...BIGGIE SMALL = ? ,....just kidding but just saying mothefucerk
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • darkrain
    Options
    Everyday Struggle ....I love that song...this is what I'm listening riht now.
  • runningwolf1980
    runningwolf1980 Members Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    i loved both albums...i remeber singing lodi dodi when i was a lil
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this is the perfect thread for a poll

I feel like ? is a bit overrated though, just because of the amount of skits/interludes it has, check it:

1. "Bathtub" Dr. Dre 1:50
    2. "G Funk Intro" (featuring The Lady of Rage & George Clinton) Dr. Dre 2:24
    3. "Gin and Juice" Dr. Dre 3:31
    4. "W ? " (Interlude) Dr. Dre 0:36
    5. "Tha ? " Dr. Dre 4:03
    6. "House Party" (Interlude) Dr. Dre 0:37
    7. "Lodi Dodi" Dr. Dre 4:24
    8. "Murder Was the Case" (featuring Dat ? Daz) Dr. Dre 3:38
    9. "Serial Killa" (featuring The D.O.C., Tha Dogg Pound & RBX) Dr. Dre, Dat ? Daz 3:35
    10. "What's My Name?" Dr. Dre 4:06
    11. "For All My ? & ? " (featuring Tha Dogg Pound & The Lady of Rage) Dr. Dre, Dat ? Daz 4:42
    12. "Ain't No Fun (If the Homies Can't Have None)" (featuring Nate Dogg, Kurupt, & Warren G) Dat ? Daz, Warren G 4:07
    13. "Chronic Break" (Interlude) Dr. Dre 0:33
    14. "Doggy Dogg World" (featuring Tha Dogg Pound & The Dramatics) Dr. Dre 5:05
    15. "Betta Ask Somebody" (Interlude) Dr. Dre 0:43
    16. "Gz & Hustlas" Dr. Dre 3:51
    17. "U Betta Recognize" (Interlude, featuring Sam Sneed) Dr. Dre 0:56
    18. "Gz Up, Hoes Down" Dr. Dre 2:21
    19. "Pump Pump" (featuring Lil' Malik, aka Lil Hershey Loc) Dr. Dre, Warren G 3:42

6 "songs" are under 2 minutes. and I dont remember if short songs like g funk intro and gs up hoes down are actual songs are not.

just my opinion on that though.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Doggystle was the anthem when it came out skits and all were constantly being banged on every block...
  • nohiphop1
    nohiphop1 Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Both are too different to compare. Different worlds

? is the masterpiece of g funk era

Ready To Die is a masterpiece of music, a real look inside the minds of young ?
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I choose Ready To Die. Biggie held his own throughout the whole album, and had a dope collab with Method Man. And Me & My ? is sampled on the Puff Mix of Method Man's single You're All I Need...

To this day countless bars were sampled, bit and referenced from Ready To Die. Big Poppa was sampled on Omarion's latest single Let's Talk featuring Rick Ross. Tyga referenced Ready To Die on his song I'm Gone featuring Big Sean. Etc. etc.

Things Done Changed is one of the rawest storytelling Hip-Hop songs I ever heard. That song is so dope that it's included in The Norton Anthology of African American Literature.

http://books.wwnorton.com/books/detail-contents.aspx?ID=10626

...It's also worth noting that Snoop's song Tha ? was sampled on the intro to Ready To Die.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I may be in the minority but I personally dislike both ? & The Chronic. To me those albums lack lyricism and pretty much rely on the beat & hooks to make the song hot. I'm not saying there is something inherently wrong with that but they can't be "classics" and not bring it lyrically.

Ready To Die on the other hand had everything ? had in spades. If you like ignorance, RTD was just as ignorant as ? . If you like lyricism, RTD kills them at that. If you like dope beats, RTD had that too. Singles, Storytelling regardless of where you go with it RTD has a significant lead over ? .

But this is based on personal preference so I respect other folks opinions.
  • ThaCerealKilla
    ThaCerealKilla Members Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    Options
    i can't stop banging both and they old as ?
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I pick ready to die. Album came out 18 years ago and I still listen to it religiously. But ? is still in my top 10 easy. I might be alone on this but I like ? more than the chronic
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Ready to Die, better production and Biggie ? on Snoop & his ghostwriters on any given day
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Too different to really compare in my opinion. But if it's strictly off personal taste then ready to die would be my choice.
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like many of y'all said both of them albums are too different. Funny how nobody mentioned how the sound on The Chronic and ? influenced the sound for Ready To Die basically.

But if i had to choose it would be ? for me.
  • Mr. Caesar
    Mr. Caesar Members Posts: 80
    Options
    Gotta pick ? . All of the interludes and songs fit together seamlessly, and I still bump that joint from end to end today. Ready to Die was near-perfect too, but ? is the album I'd pick if I could only listen to one rap album for the rest of my days.
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To me its ? easily. Listen to that album before you hit me with a nosign or some other hater ? . Each song had its own sound and personallity sounding completely different from each other beatwise. I love biggies album but come on now...gin n juice, gs n huslers, loddy doddy,pump pump, and for all of you tlkin that ghostwriter ? G's n huslers was a freestyle so shut that bulllshit up. Snoop has fallen way off but you have to give that album the props it deserves. It made him a superstar and put the west in the for front to the point where the east needed biggie just to try to bring the east back
  • Fairfax
    Fairfax Members Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Options
    Both albums are classics, Ready to die is the better of the two. Ready to die is the only album I've listened to that every song on the album is enjoyable.
  • deakino
    deakino Members Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn this a good one but i think i'll go with ? . the cohesion was flawless.
  • KeepinItHundred
    KeepinItHundred Members Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    Options
    ready to die easy
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I pick ready to die. Album came out 18 years ago and I still listen to it religiously. But ? is still in my top 10 easy. I might be alone on this but I like ? more than the chronic

You not alone bro. ? was just that tight as far as having the perfect beats for a hungry mc that Snoop was at the time(i cant even think of one OK beat, all sounded sick as ? even still). I think some people underestimate how big Snoop was becoming on the Chronic and shortly after. One thing you gotta give Snoop props on was the pressure to deliver after a classic like Chronic and he came out with a classic. Big's first album aint have that like maybe his second album did. It's something different about being in demand and you drop a classic verses Nobody really knowing of you and you was able to drop one pressure free.

• Beware
    Beware Members Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭
    Options
    wow 2 of my top 5 albums!

how sure are we that snoop didtn write anything on ? though? thats an actual question!