The Official Boxing Thread

Options

Comments

• MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    andre ward doesn't have an oscar de le hoya in his division.

That's what made floyd and manny superstars.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Canelo is only 21. He hasn't been protected, he's moving gradually and on pace. Same reason rap game messed up....? dont know ? about artist/fighter development
  • CallMeWelvin
    CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Naw he has and will continue to get protected like most upcoming fighters. Golden Boy stands to make a lot of money off him so it's not surprising. There's a lot of match ups for him at 154 to gradually progress but he hasn't been matched yet.

The Ortiz fight will be a good matchups.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that p=dub fight was far from protection imo..
  • Mr.Forte
    Mr.Forte Members Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Once they throw Canelo in with the sharks he gonna have some serious problems. Just remember De la Hoya passed the torch to Ortiz at one point before he was beat by Maidaina
  • CallMeWelvin
    Options
    P-Dub got slept by Sergio Martinez and taken to 12 in his last 2 fights.

Up to that fight... Canelo had been protected.

Ortiz as a challenge>>>
  • CallMeWelvin
    Options
    Prior to that upcoming fight*

I would love to see Canelo vs Khan
  • Dupac
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    Prior to that upcoming fight*

I would love to see Canelo vs Khan

risky......being as though peterson bullied the ? outta khan on the inside....

• R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The ? offered Kirkland a chance to get his ass whipped

How is that protection

I keep telling yall, stop sleeping on my young ?
  • Seansosa
    Seansosa Members Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what yall think of the khan vs garcia fight
  • Dupac
    Options
    Seansosa wrote: »
    what yall think of the khan vs garcia fight
    them ? sparring...
  • CallMeWelvin
    Options
  • MR.CJ
    Options
    i still want to see khan vs bradley
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its fukked up that a man can beat a world champ that supposely ran thru ppl bigger than him an yet the man gets no respect.

they go this ? going to the senate all because the mean ole black man beat a filipino an ruined a huge payday for alot of jews. but didnt care when the mexican got robbed

just wow
  • -Vincenzo-
    -Vincenzo- Members Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Seansosa wrote: »
    pretty much you see where floyd was going early in his career no one was ? with pretty boy floyd until he became money mayweather the loudmouth

the boxing world might be tired of loudmouth fighters but even if not it's not like ward couldnt hire al haymon and add some gimmick to his profile. if it worked for money, it should work for ward too.
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    i still want to see khan vs bradley

too easy for khan...khan is a very beatable boxer, but you have to be technically superior or a heavy hitter, which bradley isn't. i think khan - cotto @ 147 could be interesting, cotto is a hard fighter plus he is very experienced, but it will most likely never happen since cotto wouldnt go down to 147 for khan.

mayweather will probably take on khan sooner or later when he is out.once pbf mopped the canvas with him, king khan's hopes to make it to the top level will come to a very vicious end, but as i heard he has a younger, more talented brother...
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I told yall if u black u will never get the same hype as a lesser talented Hispanic fighter.... look how much hype they gave Butes garbage ass and they in the same division... Ward won the super 6 is undefeated and young but will never headline a ppv.... He gotta go against his own values and be ignant or talk ? to boost himself up.... Its a shame black fighters have to go that route.... think about it. Ali had to be brash, Tyson had to knock out everyone and he then had crazy antics.... Roy had to talk ? and he wasnt as big as he shoulda been...Floyd enough said... the only ones that had success without that bs was Suga Ray and Holyfield
  • -Vincenzo-
    edited June 2012
    Options
    hispanic fighters get massively hyped these days because thats the closest to white the media can find in their desperate search of the great white hope. but in all fairness there were quite some black boxing superstars who weren't ignorant, like lennox for example to name another one besides the ones you mentioned.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    -Vincenzo- wrote: »
    hispanic fighters get massively hyped these days because thats the closest to white the media can find in their desperate search of the great white hope. but in all fairness there were quite some black boxing superstars who weren't ignorant, like lennox for example to name another one besides the ones you mentioned.

I left Lennox off but think about these lesser fighters who get shine and big money over black fighters.... u got Chavez Jr headlining ppvs.... Canelo will do the same, Bute , Gatti got all thsat shine from rocekm socekm robot fights with another lesser guy... Barrera and Morrales were really good but I look at a fighter like Stevie Johnson or Too Sharp Johnson who never got that shine. Its all about the fan bases tho. Promoters know thay can exploit the Rican and Mexican fan bases who gonna support their fighters.... Where as American fanbases dont like "black fighters like that" and black fans arent gonna buy no $70 ppv with other priorities... Ward gonna have to beat everyone he faces like Hopkins to get shine. I wish he woulda got the opportunity to expose Bute instead of Froch a guy he easily beat
  • -Vincenzo-
    Options
    true that, blacks strugglin with their home market since we a minority in america...maybe they should start marketing themselves in africa, i mean pacman makes a lot of money from philippines and that aint one of the richest countries in the world either plus ali showed in the past, that there definitely is support in africa for black fighters. might be worth lookin into for them...
  • MR.CJ
    Options
    thats why you see adrien broner acting cocky
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I may be a little late on this but I just found out via ESPN, that because of Lateef Kayode's rant after his fight with Tarver accusing Showtime of fixing the fight, he is now banned from the network. Dud should've been thankful he had a deal with Showtime. Now he'll be on Friday Night Fights.

Kayodee, "I fawk him up!"

...smh and lol
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

no hispanic fighters get massively hyped because they back up the hype and the fans get what they want to see.
    mexicans love ? that go out on their sheilds and go forward and brawl.
    their fighters tend to have that gutsy style and they actually SUPPORT THEIR FIGHTERS
    puerto ricans love the KO so they worship ? that try to end their opponentsand again, they SUPPORT THEIR FIGHTERS

its not white people buying those fights, its their own demographic mainly

the media doesn't waste time with the black audience because they do not SUPPORT THEIR FIGHTERS lol
    part of this is because of volume. but majority of the time its because of laziness.
    there are a lot of people in here who take a great approach to african american fighters and most def show love to em, but for every 1-2 there are 3-4 asking for a link to a ppv (thats how they know who is or isn't supporting btw. oh and also people who say "lank" are ? . lank means you want something long. link means you want a link to a stream)

so please don't ? about media coverage or support when you guys don't even show them love or support (same argument as politics actually)
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nycest_1 wrote: »

no hispanic fighters get massively hyped because they back up the hype and the fans get what they want to see.
    mexicans love ? that go out on their sheilds and go forward and brawl.
    their fighters tend to have that gutsy style and they actually SUPPORT THEIR FIGHTERS
    puerto ricans love the KO so they worship ? that try to end their opponentsand again, they SUPPORT THEIR FIGHTERS

its not white people buying those fights, its their own demographic mainly

the media doesn't waste time with the black audience because they do not SUPPORT THEIR FIGHTERS lol
    part of this is because of volume. but majority of the time its because of laziness.
    there are a lot of people in here who take a great approach to african american fighters and most def show love to em, but for every 1-2 there are 3-4 asking for a link to a ppv (thats how they know who is or isn't supporting btw. oh and also people who say "lank" are ? . lank means you want something long. link means you want a link to a stream)

so please don't ? about media coverage or support when you guys don't even show them love or support (same argument as politics actually)

Co sign the overall sentiment of this post.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ummm..

i will support a fight thats worth it
    i dont wanna pay for ppl like pac who pads their fight resume by fighting someone 4times.
    i dont wanna see hatton be built to be the great white hype only to be broken down to the molecule by may...

i wont support jermaine taylor who was hbo's baby an was given a gift when he fought bhop
    i wont support rjj for fighting a damn new york cop.

i will only support boxers who arent protected and the baby of that network.

i love the sport more than i like a boxer..

as for as supporting black....its alot of black fighters to support. so just like everyone else..we support our top tier ppl
  • CallMeWelvin
    Options