Sometimes You Gotta Ride to it. Why you should always "Whip Test"!

Options
FyHunnit
FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in The Reason
My first question to the community is: Do you own a car, or drive on the regular?
I feel this is a significant question, because it seems like a lot of people here judge musical inadequately.

Sure, checking for leaks and downloading music straight to your ipod helps, but how often do you give a project the "Whip Test"? Hearing a full (purchased album) in the way it should be (via "Tha Whip") definitely gives you the opportunity to take in all the music the artist is presenting.

It seems like most posters simply download albums/mixtapes, listen to certain songs through their head phones, skip - skip - skip, then say the project is whack. How do you properly judge a project without listening to the music the way it was intended to play? I know. The iPod goes with your keys and wallet into your pockets. With iPods, you have the freedom of skipping hella music you just downloaded and not giving it a chance to grow on you. With the physical album banging through your speakers, you have the opportunity to play the whole album without breaking down ever single line of a song. You have the opportunity to just enjoy the music without being critical to the minor flaws on a project, that you'd otherwise exploit because you're hearing it through head phones.

I'm not saying you should put down the iPod/MP3 player. I'm saying you'll only know if something is whack or not after listening to it in the ride. Bang that ? in the whip first. There's good riding music and there's good chilling music. How can you tell the difference and judge accordingly by not giving it the whip test at least once?

Comments

• A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All a southern ? knows...
  • Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Music is suppose to be played on a Record player actually (vinyl). Certain Artist make certain music for their environment. I.e. Joey Bada$$ 1999 doesn't need a whip test because that's not his element now Ross, Gucci and Big Krit makes riding music.

Tbh the reason why I love Return of Forever is because I had my car that summer and pulling up blast "I'm just rotating my tires" was memorable.

But all music isn't suppose to be played in whips or clubs or headphones or when u about to have sex. That's the beauty of music it sets a mood and it can fill any mood or setting.

• Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    A whip test is only required If u listenin to a bass heavy album and even then If u dont have woofers you aint doing yourself any justice.
  • Ms. Sweeetface
    Ms. Sweeetface Members Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    Options
    You wouldn't get the full sound with digital...
    CD is the closes of keeping the sound near perfect.
  • Agrv2385
    Agrv2385 Members Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    actually i agree. if you got a GOOD system that ? is like surround sound in your car and you can hear everything the way it should be heard. I never judge a song or album till i hear it in the whip. then again i got a nice system that isnt just all bass heavy. bass isnt the end all be all of music you gotta have a good balance.
  • Craig Robinson
    Craig Robinson Members Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I play my iPod through the speakers in the whip and get the same effect
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-7-_k5ZTxM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I was just talking about the "Whip Test" with a comrade....I was blogging and bumping that new Meek at the store the other day dropped a TwitVid to encourage my brethren to take the Whip Tests.

I think the majority of forum posters don't have cars, they are typically not very social people either so they prefer Headphone music over Speaker music.

I never judge social or street-oriented HipHop unless I can play it in the proper environment were the acoustics and low frequencies can be appreciated.

This kid named Trevor had his headphones on at work and said "Oh my ? dude this song sounds just like that other song dude, what the frigging ? dude"....so on our lunch-break I took him outside to my car and played the same song to him were he could hear the bassline, the bass frequencies and feel the vibrations in the music and he almost started crying because he said it sounded so much better. He's a huge Wacka fan but I put him up on K.R.I.T.

Everybody need to throw Whip Test up, U know you got free weekend minutes.
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-7-_k5ZTxM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I was just talking about the "Whip Test" with a comrade....I was blogging and bumping that new Meek at the store the other day dropped a TwitVid to encourage my brethren to take the Whip Tests.

I think the majority of forum posters don't have cars, they are typically not very social people either so they prefer Headphone music over Speaker music.

I never judge social or street-oriented HipHop unless I can play it in the proper environment were the acoustics and low frequencies can be appreciated.

This kid named Trevor had his headphones on at work and said "Oh my ? dude this song sounds just like that other song dude, what the frigging ? dude"....so on our lunch-break I took him outside to my car and played the same song to him were he could hear the bassline, the bass frequencies and feel the vibrations in the music and he almost started crying because he said it sounded so much better. He's a huge Wacka fan but I put him up on K.R.I.T.

Everybody need to throw Whip Test up, U know you got free weekend minutes.

I bough my 1st car at 17 and been drivin ever since. A lotta the people on the internet throw hate at the type of music people listen to in the car, out and about, and in social environments. But us out and about types dont insult or get upset if someone likes "headphone" music. We're to busy enjoying the music we like and livin. And im somewhere in the middle social/nonsocial. I like to be home but i get out alot too. And people enjoyin themselves dont make me jealous and angry.
  • FyHunnit
    Options
    great explanation @Agrv2385 and @H-Rap180

I understand what @CraigRobinson is saying too tho. The problem i have when hooking up an ipod through the car is that it makes it easier for you to just skip through our just throw the whole iPod in shuffle mode. I keep really good music on my ipod, so i can understand doing that, but when it comes to evaluating an actual album to see if i really like it or not, i can't use my ipod. The physical copy always comes threw for me cause I know "this is how it should sound.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    In order to make it to the whip test stage, an artist has to adequately prove to me that he/she is worth it.

Im not just gonna arbitrarily play some ? just because my ability to "judge music" may not be up to par to other consumers

? , somebody gave me that new Waka Flocka joint last week and i damn near threw it out the window after giving it the "whip test" all the way through.

I will always listen to every track before i call a CD wack, but im smart enough to not have to listen to every second of a wack CD to realize its not what i want to hear.

Another example is that Nicki Minaj CD, a spotify preview is all i needed to know that it wasnt my cup of tea.

I dont know about you, but i dont miss being duped into buying mediocre CDs with filler material. The digital age has technically put the music industry in the hands of the consumer.

To me if you cant enjoy a song out of your laptop speakers, then your probably just forcing yourself to like it more, cause out your car speakers the bass hits a little harder.

Rubbish
  • FyHunnit
    Options
    Head phone listers are cool, but it takes waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more time to let an album "grow on you" then having the actual album on rotation on the whip. When the iPod, you can be like "ehhh", and shuffle away without giving the album its proper play until you feel like trying it again later. In the whip its a whole new ball game. You get to appreciate the production a whole lot better, especially if you're vibing to the album on a late night or some ? ..
  • FyHunnit
    Options
    In order to make it to the whip test stage, an artist has to adequately prove to me that he/she is worth it.

Im not just gonna arbitrarily play some ? just because my ability to "judge music" may not be up to par to other consumers

? , somebody gave me that new Waka Flocka joint last week and i damn near threw it out the window after giving it the "whip test" all the way through.

I will always listen to every track before i call a CD wack, but im smart enough to not have to listen to every second of a wack CD to realize its not what i want to hear.

Another example is that Nicki Minaj CD, a spotify preview is all i needed to know that it wasnt my cup of tea.

I dont know about you, but i dont miss being duped into buying mediocre CDs with filler material. The digital age has technically put the music industry in the hands of the consumer.

To me if you cant enjoy a song out of your laptop speakers, then your probably just forcing yourself to like it more, cause out your car speakers the bass hits a little harder.

Rubbish

I respect the bolded to the highest extent.

I understand what you're saying too, but that Triple F bangs in the whip the most because i don't expect anything more from Wacka then to make ride around music. Sometimes you need those projects. I'd hate to ride around with somebody with only "classics" in they car.
  • NoCompetition
    Options
    Like I said, us that listen to stuff like Waka flocka, Future, Gucci, etc. Dont have a problem or care enough tohave an opinion if somebody likes "headphone" music. Its always from the others. But in the end it helps certain music blow up more cause its more exposure and increases curiosity.

Im plannin a system in my truck right now its reg. cab. I got a speaker box but need new subs and amp. Eventually i want a new head unit and need to install my front door speakers. I got 6x8s in the rear colums.
  • Agrv2385
    Agrv2385 Members Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im not sayin you should listen to trash in the whip jus cuz it sounds better. ill listen to an album on my laptop. if its decent ill put in on my usb and plug it in the whip. my system doesnt use cds so i never gotta work about burnin them. i jus put the tracks on my usb and plug um in the whip. one thing i will say is the digital age has kinda ruined albums for me. alot of times instead of listenin to full albums now ill put my ? on random and its like one long ass never ending mixtape. im tryin to get out of doing that though. some albums jus need to be listened to in their entirety to be appreciated. Untitled by nas is a perfect example.
  • Stew
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Head phone listers are cool, but it takes waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more time to let an album "grow on you" then having the actual album on rotation on the whip. When the iPod, you can be like "ehhh", and shuffle away without giving the album its proper play until you feel like trying it again later. In the whip its a whole new ball game. You get to appreciate the production a whole lot better, especially if you're vibing to the album on a late night or some ? ..

Thats cause most people who listen to there Ipod's dont have CDQ songs/good headphones. I have all of my retail cd's transferred to my comp/laptop so whenever I listen with good headphones im getting everything plus more that way. Works the same way with my phone. I can always tell a difference when I listen to MP3's compared to my CDQ songs.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Rubbish

I respect the bolded to the highest extent.

I understand what you're saying too, but that Triple F bangs in the whip the most because i don't expect anything more from Wacka then to make ride around music. Sometimes you need those projects. I'd hate to ride around with somebody with only "classics" in they car.

You'd hate riding wit me and my iPod then lol

But I feel you tho, when i was a little younger, i would ride around bumping Franchize n Gucci CDs cause it banged, but even then i couldnt just listen to every song only about three or four songs got play. Wack has always been wack to me no matter how hard the bass hits.

Because of this im actually real happy about how digital mp3s became the prominent medium

It is purely a preference thing tho, im just at a point in my life where i need alot of inspiration, and for the most part new wave hip hop just dont do it for me.
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    @IceColdSoup

TwidVid a quick WhipTest of that T.I .

The South make that Trunk Muzik!
  • supaman4321
    supaman4321 Members Posts: 946
    Options
    Everything is on my computer but not everything get's burned to play in the whip for this exact reason. I do disagree from the standpoint that a really good pair of headphones can give you just as good of a listening experience as you can get from a car stereo, possibly better because when you're really doing it like that you can't even comprehend the lyrics anymore.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Stew
    Options
    LOL sounds dope but to actually be able to tell from recording it from a cell phone? Doubt it but Ill do one in a few.
  • Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But u don't LISTEN to music when ur in a car unless its a long trip. You hear it because ur busy driving, on the phone or actually talking to the person thats with u. That's why it really doesn't take much to pass the "Whip test" as long as the beat is good
  • NoCompetition
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    @IceColdSoup

TwidVid a quick WhipTest of that T.I .

The South make that Trunk Muzik!

Aye the west got some good trunk classics. The east coast and midwest even got a few. Got a lotta songs/albums to get now that i think about it past and present.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    I have whole albums on my iPod that I listen to. I hook it up to the car and ride i play whatever I want.
  • StillDreaming
    StillDreaming Members Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Cosign this thread. Whip test never fails
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.