50 Greatest MC's Of All Time by Kool Mo Dee

Options

Comments

• Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    he left Eminem and DMX off because he said they didn't have a large enough body of work; but had Biggie in the top 15:

shaq-face.jpg?w=594
    50.Just Ice
    49.mack-10
    48.Foxy Brown
    47.Spoonie Gee
    46.Fat Joe
    45.Jeru The Damaja
    44.Craig Mack
    43.MC Shan
    42.Lil Kim
    41.Big Pun
    40.Slick Rick
    39.Kurupt
    38.Mystikal
    37.Keith Murray
    36.Doug E Fresh
    35.Ice-T
    34.GURU
    33.Snoop
    32.Run
    31.Kurtis Blow
    30.Scarface
    29.Black Thought
    28.Common
    27.Xzibit
    26.Pharoahe Monch
    25.Heavy D
    24.Busta Rhymes
    23.Will Smith
    22.GZA/Genius
    21.Ras Kass
    20.RedMan
    19.MC Lyte
    18.Ice Cube
    17.Method Man
    16.Treach
    15.Jay-Z
    14.Kool G Rap
    13.Tupac
    12.Queen Latifa
    11.Nas
    10.Lauryn Hill
    9.B.I.G.
    8.Chuck D
    7.LL Cool J
    6.GrandMaster Caz
    5.Kool Mo Dee
    4.Big Daddy Kane
    3.KRS-One
    2.Rakim
    1.Melle Mel

I'm not even going to get into his ? up order but dude is honestly going to say any of these emcees deserve a spot before X or Em?

That's why I don't appreciate 80's hip hop outside of Kane and Rakim, them ? be on some other ?

FOH before I sick LL on this Larry Holmes status ass ?

• Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This book is old. My boy had the book & I was reading the list like wtf. Face the first southern dude at 30 L Boogie top 10 but its his opinion
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whether you agree on where the artists are placed, the list is solid and not one Whack MC made the list. And I agree with the first generation of legends occupying the upper slots. I am surprised to see slick rick that far down list. But it's all good. Moe Dee is a pioneer of MCing. Get over it. Moe Dee influenced many.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That list shows why some people need to ? when it comes to hip hop. All the top ten are old school heads, most of which have not released a damn thing in years - the other of which have not released anything worth a second listen

Biased ? .

• RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this list was from like 2001(i think)

he was sposed to make an updated version
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    Some people meaning Moe Dee who ushered in MCing as we know it today? Whether an artist has released music recently is beside the point. Example. There aren't many songs since Hip Hop birth that are better then the message, the bridge is over, black steele in the hour chaos. etc etc.
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the thing people are forgetting when they think about "body of work" is that these golden age rappers didnt really release widespread albums but they had alotta work on TAPES.
    Tapes that most young people know nothin of.

oh
    Tapes,shows, and ciphers
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Some people meaning Moe Dee who ushered in MCing as we know it today? Whether an artist has released music recently is beside the point. Example. There aren't many songs since Hip Hop birth that are better then the message, the bridge is over, black steele in the hour chaos. etc etc.

It is not besides the point at all when one of the categories is longevity.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    Longevity doesn't mean a life time of recording. The artist from 8-1 are still active within Hip Hop. They do shows, and appearances throughout the year. These artists are pioneers and architects of HIP HOP. Not just MC's. Furthermore many of those artists were rhyming years before they ever recorded. So, put a check next to longevity.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    SMH the disrespect of the Legendary EMCEE KOOL MOE DEE who is the father of the cerebral emcee, the father of Rakim, Nas and Canibus.

Kool Moe Dee know more about emceeing then yall will ever know so for him being a top 10 emcee in hip-hop history i take his knowledge about emceeing than anybody on this forum.
  • waterproof
    Options
    lmao man dis is a straight up old ? list rofl @ the top 10. Kool Moe Dee shouldnt be ahead of Chuck D, Nas, Jay-Z, or 2pac IMO its his opinion tho no matter how outrageous is looks

KOOL MOE DEE IS TOP 10 in hip-hop and that's is know through out hip-hop, that can't be taken from him. Kool Moe Dee changed hip-hop emceeing to what you see today from the underground cats.

Moe Dee will crush Jay-Z in a battle and my man Chuck D.
  • waterproof
    Options
    THE AQUA'S TOP 10 EMCEE OF ALL TIMES

1) 2PAC

2) RAKIM

3) NAS

4) GRANDMASTER MELLE

5) BIG DADDY KANE

6) KOOL MOE DEE

7) KRS-1

8) ICE-CUBE

9) BIGGIE SMALLS

10) GRANDMASTER CAZ
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »
    lmao man dis is a straight up old ? list rofl @ the top 10. Kool Moe Dee shouldnt be ahead of Chuck D, Nas, Jay-Z, or 2pac IMO its his opinion tho no matter how outrageous is looks

KOOL MOE DEE IS TOP 10 in hip-hop and that's is know through out hip-hop, that can't be taken from him. Kool Moe Dee changed hip-hop emceeing to what you see today from the underground cats.

Kool Moe Dee is a pioneer no doubt but here's a difference wit Moe Dee nd a few other 80's artist i can bump ahead of him. a LL track from da 80's like I'm bad I can bump in public nd it doesnt sound that dated. Chuck D i can play Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos nd it sounds like sumthin dat could come out in 2012. Big Daddy Kane i can play Raw nd it sounds good nd ahead of its time. I really cant do dat wit Kool Moe Dee, Melle Mel, Grandmaster Caz, etc. the way they rapped sounds dated IMO. i respect wat they did for the genre but Kool Moe Dee nd a majority of his top 10 aint in my top 10
  • waterproof
    Options
    For in depth discussion on this issue about emceeing yall should go read my thread KOOL MOE DEE Interview from 2002 on The Great Emcee Battles of the 80 that goes in depth about emceeing and the battles of Jay-Z vs Nas and Kool Moe Dee vs Busy Bee and LL Cool J and the Nas vs Biggie battle http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/377708/kool-moe-dee-interview-from-2002-on-the-great-emcee-battles-of-the-80#latest
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stopped reading after having Will Smith ahead of Heavy D, Common, Black Thought and X to the Z.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Options
    LOL @ that ? . I respect the old school but a lot of these dudes are stuck in the 90s and they can't get out.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    Don't get caught up in the numbering. Doesn't mean one is better then other. It's just the big homies opinion. While I might not agree with Will's skill being above those listed. I can certainly see how he could be listed above based on the criteria.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I could make list better than that
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stopped as soon as I saw Foxy Brown on the list and Nas, Jay-Z and Pac not in the top 10
  • BlackAX410
    Options
    also @waterproof Kool Moe Dee's most popular song how u like me now doesnt have da same memorable effect as some other heads in his era nd people he put himself ahead of. Like Chuck D soon as da beat for Fight the power comes on a majority of heads can still recite da opening verse. Paid in Full Beat comes on hella heads can recite Rakim's verse. Mama said knock you out comes on people kno da opening verse. Today was a good day people kno dat whole song. Sound of da Police is more memorable then anything Kool Moe Dee dropped. Smooth Operator is more known today. I go to work, How you Like me now, Wild Wild West, Go see the doctor, nd Knowledge is King dont have da same effect i just cant put anyone in a top 10 of all-time list by default bruh lls
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    Kool Moe Dee is a pioneer no doubt but here's a difference wit Moe Dee nd a few other 80's artist i can bump ahead of him. a LL track from da 80's like I'm bad I can bump in public nd it doesnt sound that dated. Chuck D i can play Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos nd it sounds like sumthin dat could come out in 2012. Big Daddy Kane i can play Raw nd it sounds good nd ahead of its time. I really cant do dat wit Kool Moe Dee, Melle Mel, Grandmaster Caz, etc. the way they rapped sounds dated IMO. i respect wat they did for the genre but Kool Moe Dee nd a majority of his top 10 aint in my top 10

I can respect your opinion and I guess it's a matter of substance with me. Melle Mel and Moe Dee in particular have gems in their catalog. And while the production, may sound dated the rhyme schemes and cadences are on par with today's artists. Who by the way these cats birthed. Peep the lyrics to the message or beat street. Talk about ahead of it's time. These songs are the blue print for the conscious MC. Moe Dee killed the party rap scene and introduced complex rhymes schemes as well as the uptempo flow. It's not just who you or I can rock with today but their inventions of styles, cadence, flow, delivery writing ability.
  • BlackAX410
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

I can respect your opinion and I guess it's a matter of substance with me. Melle Mel and Moe Dee in particular have gems in their catalog. And while the production, may sound dated the rhyme schemes and cadences are on par with today's artists. Who by the way these cats birthed. Peep the lyrics to the message or beat street. Talk about ahead of it's time. These songs are the blue print for the conscious MC. Moe Dee killed the party rap scene and introduced complex rhymes schemes as well as the uptempo flow. It's not just who you or I can rock with today but their inventions of styles, cadence, flow, delivery writing ability.

Melle Mel kicked a great classic opening verse on the message i still cant have him in MY personal top 10 at da end of the day its all opinions
  • FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL @ them old ass 80's rappers.
  • waterproof
    edited July 2012
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »

Yo @throwedoffaxel Caz, Moe Dee and Melle Mel still can bring it, when i was emceeing i studied these brothers. You have to give respect when respect is due they are top 10 of all times

Grandmaster Caz the father of Big Daddy Kane and Jay-Z freestyle this last year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84HEIGbJEfU

Grandmaster Mell Mel and CAZ and this is from 1988 and this EMCEEING http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LegXgHKFebo

yall young ? watch a real emcee GRANDMASTER MELLE rips it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8swLgYGWaWE
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options