Comments

• Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah that ? was gassed by round 3
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Khan was never that good to begin with . People say that he needs a new trainer . I feel that Roach got out as much as he could have out of Khan . Khan is a average fight . But I do respect the fact he is willing to fight whoever . But he is a ? for real
  • CallMeWelvin
    CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Khan is talented... you'd be crazy not to admit but talent can only get you so far

His speed and quickness is at an elite level

Everything else not so much

That's BCotton boy
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    khan talks funny
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like I said before....Khan is physically gifted but he needs to tighten up his technique
  • bull6599
    bull6599 Members Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Him losing to Garcia now rather than Floyd later woulda been better long term. He can always convince himself that Garcia got em w/ a lucky punch. Floyd woulda put on a clinic: a drawn out 2 round beat down his psyche woulda never recovered from...ala Ricky Hatton
  • -Vincenzo-
    -Vincenzo- Members Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    bull6599 wrote: »
    Him losing to Garcia now rather than Floyd later woulda been better long term. He can always convince himself that Garcia got em w/ a lucky punch. Floyd woulda put on a clinic: a drawn out 2 round beat down his psyche woulda never recovered from...ala Ricky Hatton

if it wouldnt be the 2nd time he got knocked out plus his legs turnin jelly against maidana, yes, he could convince himself it was a lucky punch...he prolly still tries to convince us it was one, but he himself definitely knows whats the deal with his chinese chin by now
  • CallMeWelvin
    Options
    http://www.fighthype.com/news/article12874.html

I agree with this article.. he would beat Garcia... hopefully he gets his shot
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/173929-roach-
    RingTV.com caught up to five-time Trainer of the Year Freddie Roach to discuss Saturday night's HBO-televised fourth-round stoppage of former titleholder Amir Khan by Danny Garcia, whose victory added Khan's WBA junior welterweight belt as well as the division's RING championship to the WBC crown he already owned.

Roach spoke to RingTV.com about the future of his relationship with Khan, who has been with Roach for his past 10 fights. Roach denied that Khan has specifically expressed the desire to end their association, contrary to reports.

Roach said that he expects Khan to return to the ring in December, adding that he would like to get a rematch with Garcia. Roach also said that he recently met with Khan and the fighter's father, Shah Khan, regarding how to navigate the time spent working with Chavez Jr., Pacquiao and Khan in the future.

Freddie Roach on his conversation with Amir and Shah Khan:

"I spoke with Amir and his dad yesterday, and the idea of changing trainers never came up. I told them that if they think that I'm too busy, and 'if you need help getting somebody else, then I'll help you.'

"They said, 'no, no, everything's fine.' They said 'we just need to just maybe we want to get better sparring partners.'

"So I had a very nice breakfast with Shah Khan and Amir. So we had a nice meeting yesterday, and no one talked about getting fired.
    "

On how the cancelation of the Peterson fight affected Khan's training:

"I spent a lot of time with Amir in the Philippines with Manny, but then, his rematch with Lamont Peterson got canceled. We sent him home for three weeks so he wouldn't burn out.

"And then, we got the offer to fight Garcia, and they accepted the fight. I had the time and I worked with him every day. I missed four days being with Chavez.

"So they asked me-- they said they didn't want that to ever happen again. I said, 'if you think I'm doing too much, then, for the next fight, we'll do the best that we can with scheduling.'

"I mean, yes, I did have to leave Amir's training camp for four days to be with Chavez, but I don't think that that was the difference in the fight."

On when Khan would fight again, and, also, the juggling of his schedule with Chavez Jr. and Pacquiao:

"We worked that out. We talked about fighting again in December. So I was open to December because I have Chavez in September and Pacquiao in November.

"We figured that we could come back in December and that would work out fine. They want to fight in December so that there won't be any interference with anybody else."

On the notion that Khan has trouble making the junior welterweight limit:

"It's kind of funny that I read it somewhere that he had trouble making 140, when he made 140 four days before the fight. Easily. Just on a nice diet where he was eating three meals a day. 

"If you weren't there, how can you make that statement is what I want to put out there. If these people are making statements, how can they do that when they weren't even there?"

On the first knockdown by Garcia and the rest of the action in the fight:

"It's just a situation where Amir got caught. He made a mistake and he got caught by a left hook. He went out there a little too early and he got caught. We had planned to out-box this guy.

"But then Amir started to exchange with him. That's when he got caught pulling away. He had his hand down. That's something that we worked on during the fight, but it happens. This happens in boxing."

On the pre-fight comments by Garcia's father, Angel Garcia:

"I think that Garcia's dad got under Amir's skin a little bit. He got a little emotional about it. I think that the father really got to him.

"By going after his religion and his [being Pakistani,] the father got under his skin and he didn't fight a smart fight. The first two rounds, he did very well. But we talked about not getting upset."

On the potential for a rematch:

"If we get a rematch, we will out-box him. I would like the rematch right away. There's no sense even thinking about 147 until we show that we can beat this guy at 140."

On Khan's defense:

"We discussed how his hands need to be up more, and how he has to work on his defense a lot more, and not standing up straight as he pulls away from punches.

"Pulling straight back. He's got to stop dropping his right hand, and so, we've got to work on his defense a little bit."

On Khan's future:

"We had a very good discussion about this. The thing is, with the caliber of fights that he's had, Amir needs to stop making mistakes. He's got to stop rushing in there and fighting with emotion.

"He's got to be more professional about it. We talked about that, and everyone was on the same page when I left Amir yesterday."
  • CallMeWelvin
    Options
    "A little bit"
    Roach is a joke

Khan is wasting him talent by staying with that clown.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    "A little bit"
    Roach is a joke

but.. but.. he was 5 time trainer of the year.. and he trains Pacroid.. *typical Roach/Pacroid Stan talking point*

• stringer bell
    Options
    ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/173897-broner-doesnt-fear-the-upset-against-escobedo

ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/173913-broner-this-will-be-my-last-fight-at-130-pounds
    Broner: 'My IQ in the ring is equivalent to Einstein's' | RingTV

During the weigh-in the day before his June 9 clash with then-WBO welterweight titleholder Manny Pacquiao at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, rising WBO junior welterweight titleholder Tim Bradley was being interviewed by HBO's ringside commentator Max Kellerman, who told the undefeated fighter "upset's in the air."

More than 24 hours later, it was Bradley, indeed, who came away with a controversial split-decision victory over Pacquiao, an eight-division titlewinner whose 15-bout winning streak that included eight stoppage wins was ended by his first loss since falling by unanimous decision to Erik Morales in March of 2005.

Pacquiao's setback was the latest in several shocking, if not, upset losses by marquee fighters in the sport, the latest being a fourth-round stoppage of former titleholder Amir Khan by Danny Garcia, whose victory added Khan's WBA junior welterweight belt as well as the division's RING championship to the WBC crown he already owned.

But as he heads into Saturday night's HBO-televised junior lightweight defense against Vicente Escobedo (26-3, 15 knockouts), WBO beltholder Adrien Broner (23-0, 19 KOs) says he's not worried about losing.

"Like I've always said, I have faith in ? ," said Broner, who will face Escobedo at U.S. Bank Arena in Broner's hometown of Cincinnati. "I believe in ? and I believe in myself, so I don't even think about upsets."

The upsets happen, said Broner, for two reasons: The fighters who lose are not him, and they are not Floyd Mayweather Jr., an unbeaten winner of eight belts over five divisions whose style Broner is known to emulate.

"You know, Pacquiao was good and Amir Khan was good," said Broner, who turns 23 on July 28 and is believed to be America's youngest titleholder. "But you know, if it's not me or Floyd Mayweather, then it's not a for sure win."

In May, Mayweather earned an all-time boxing record guaranteed purse of $32 million for his unanimous decision victory that dethroned Miguel Cotto as WBC junior middleweight beltholder.

"Anything can happen in boxing. Like they say, any fight is one punch away from a knockout," said Broner, who is nicknamed "Da Problem."

"That is, if it isn't me or Floyd Mayweather, anything can happen. Otherwise, you already know what's going to happen when me and Floyd are in the ring."

But coming off an HBO televised fourth-round stoppage of previously unbeaten Eloy Perez (23-1-2, 7 KOs) in February, Broner says he's well-prepared to face Escobedo.

"As long as I train hard and as long as I'm in shape, I know none of these guys is going to beat me. Like I have said, I keep ? first, and I've got all of the skills. I've got speed, power and the boxing abilities," said Broner.

"My IQ in the ring is equivalent to Einstein's. I'm just saying. The world still hasn't seen the best of Adrien Broner yet. So when all of the work is done, the only thing that I have to do is my job. I mean, what more can I say?"
    Broner: 'This will be my last fight at 130 pounds'

WBO junior lightweight beltholder Adrien Broner said that he will move up to lightweight following Saturday night's HBO-televised defense against Vicente Escobedo that will take place at U.S. Bank Arena in Broner's hometown of Cincinnati.

"This will be my last fight at 130 pounds, and I'm going out with a bang, for sure," said Broner, who will be after his fourth straight stoppage victory against Escobedo.

"They didn't just give me the title, I had to win it, and I'm going to go out there and show why I've kept it. I'm going to leave out of here with the belt. So, like I said, this is the last fight at 130 pounds, and I'm going to to out and give a good performance."

Broner (23-0, 19 knockouts) turns 23 on July 28, and may be the youngest American titleholder.

"I'm young, I'm 22 and I'm still growing," said Broner. "But, you know what? I just feel like it's time for me to go up."

Since winning a unanimous decision over ex-beltholder Daniel Ponce de Leon in March of last year, Broner has scored knockouts over Jason Litzau in June of last year, Martin Rodriguez in November and Eloy Perez in February.

"After this fight, there really wouldn't be a reason for me to stay in the weight class," said Broner. "So I'm just going to go up a weight class and give the lightweights hell."

In the meantime, Broner said he is focused on Escobedo (26-3, 15 KOs), who has won four consecutive fights.

"This is boxing, so you have to take it one fight at a time. One fight at a time. So Vicente is on my mind right now, and it really don't matter after that," said Broner.

"Anybody can get it. The statement wasn't just for publicity. Anybody can get it -- Africans, Americans, Domincans, Mexicans. Anybody can get it, it really don't matter."
  • bham100
    bham100 Members Posts: 316
    Options
    Rumours breaking out today from Khan own team that he will be leaving Roach and they are hoping Khan vs Pacquiao in December
  • -Vincenzo-
    edited July 2012
    Options
    "A little bit"
    Roach is a joke

you can criticize roach all you want and you might have a good point but end of the day, khan was knocked out before at a point of his career when he never even spent a single training session with roach. it's a cheap shot at roach, making him responsible for a weak point that has haunted khan for years now. lol @ you took 4 days off from the camp...

how many times were roach's other fighters knocked out since he worked with them?

i can tell you the answer for manny and jcc:

not one single f*ckin time, niente nada nothing
  • CallMeWelvin
    Options
    Lol Chavez and Manny have both been long suspected of using steroid... So yea

What are Roach's fighters record in the last 3 fights?

I'll wait
  • CallMeWelvin
    Options
    I really like Broner, man. The only thing I can even criticise is that he mix it up too much. 22 years old and he's as skilled as he is. Dude will look impressive this Saturday.

I don't blame him moving up. More money to be made in upper divisions plus making 130 has to suck.
  • -Vincenzo-
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Lol Chavez and Manny have both been long suspected of using steroid... So yea

What are Roach's fighters record in the last 3 fights?

I'll wait

khan got knocked out

pacquiao got cheated

julio cesar chavez retained his title

roach might not be an expert on teaching defense but khan just got a glass chin, wont disappear under any other trainer, just as it didnt disappear when he switched to roach.

you lose em, the way you get em...even true for boxers these days
  • CallMeWelvin
    Options
    If he had better defense... he wouldn't take the shots that he takes

Pacquiao takes hard shots

Chavez takes hard shots

Ect, ect

Roach's gameplan for his fighters is to throw crazy amount of punches... offense offense that's it
  • -Vincenzo-
    Options
    true that and for some it works and for others obviously not.

but why did khan get knocked out under his old trainer too? what was the problem there?
    dude has more excuses than a pregnant nun...
  • CallMeWelvin
    Options
    I'm not defending Khan because imo he's too spoon fed.

But Khan was a younger fighter when he fought prescott.

Let me ask you this.. what did Roach add to Khan?

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    People get knocked out because... sometimes ? happens..

At the end of the day your trainer doesnt walk in that ring with you.. and self evaluation >

Your tendencies carry you when it all breaks down
  • CallMeWelvin
    Options
    Yea, ? happens but when you don't take ever necessary precaution to ensure you're fundamentally sound you accelerate "? happening" sooner.

When you're gameplan is to go in the ring and attack, attack, attack then you need to re-examine your gameplan.

If I join a trainer and he adds absolutely nothing to my game..Do I really need said trainer?
  • -Vincenzo-
    edited July 2012
    Options
    i'm not even arguing the fact that khan's defense needs some work but i think while for pacquiao or most other boxers in general having a weak defense only means losing the round for khan unfortunately it could often mean he loses the whole fight in one moment.

...and thats hard to train away if you ask me, best advice is besides working on his defense (maybe with a new trainer, if thats what he wants) to lower his sights and avoid certain type or class of boxers.

i doubt he will ever become top5 p4p as he envisioned to be, but he stays a very entertaining boxer i will keep on following.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not defending Khan because imo he's too spoon fed.

But Khan was a younger fighter when he fought prescott.

Let me ask you this.. what did Roach add to Khan?

I disagree... Khan got hit with the same shot vs Garcia.... He tried to blame weight as the reason Prescott got him... Its all his chin and defense
  • Seansosa
    Seansosa Members Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    khan can learn all the defense he wants! but you cant train his chin to be able to take a punch