• Seansosa
    Seansosa Members Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? stating the obvious
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    I MUST WIN wrote: »
    @MeekMill Nas new album is really on another level of rap! ? is crazyyyy!

these rappers even know they can't ? with nasir jones

Thats what the "discussion thread" is for.

#LifeIsGood
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    song of the day = Trust
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just got my copy, finna give it a listen
  • Turfaholic
    Options
    I'm in the MGM Grand, cup half empty where hennessy used to be, blackjack got me down $50. A Queens Story sound good in these ipod headphones
  • Turfaholic
    Options
    I'm in the MGM Grand, cup half empty where hennessy used to be, blackjack got me down $50. A Queens Story sound good in these ipod headphones
  • BobOblah
    Options
  • ItsTheBAUCE
    ItsTheBAUCE Members Posts: 1
    Options
    Amazing album, thank ? Ns finally got Nas on some production that suits his talents. Album plays like a movie. Only track I didnt like too much was Ya'll wouldn't understand....which will likely grow on me. Nas really ? on everything that dropped this year. Legend still dropping heat in the new generation.
  • hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I MUST WIN wrote: »
    @MeekMill Nas new album is really on another level of rap! ? is crazyyyy!

these rappers even know they can't ? with nasir jones
    You internet weirdos.

• unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Roses and Stay go in the deep thought playlist.
  • HassanCHOP
    HassanCHOP Members Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    life is wood, cuz that ? flopped. lololol yolo!
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Listening to Nas' Life Is Good is like dropping a golden subway token into a mechanical turnstile, one that grants you instant entry into a New York City of days long gone.

A product of the gritty Queensbridge Houses, Nas navigates his borough in dizzyingly poetic detail, shouting out 'hood-famous hustlers and incense-burning Five-Percenters over a bed of rich horns and pounding knocks. "Colosseum downstairs, gold-teeth mouth," the baby-faced 39-year-old spits on "A Queens Story," giving a nod to the mall on Jamaica Avenue and 165th Street where a basement throbbed with jewelers and hair-extension purveyors.

If that sounds like golden-era nostalgia, then fair enough, but as ? 's Son told us when we sat down with him in L.A. for MTV's Hip-Hop Music Preview, "I got jazz in my soul." On Life Is Good, Nasty Nas tapped those blues for a reverie on his rise but also an honest dissection of his failed marriage and his shortcomings as a father, extending the narrative to his instant-classic album cover (sigh every time we see that green wedding dress). Still, the MC scored a #1 album this week, 20 years after recording his game-changing Illmatic debut.

Nas Comes Back Strong With 'Life Is Good'
    We'd say life is good, and Nasir explains why, in his own words.

The Title: Life Is Good
    "A couple of years ago, I just started to really appreciate the opportunities that I've had, the places that I've traveled and the people I met and just the life that ? gave me. So I felt like 'life is good' was a positive message that we should just say to each other during such challenging times. Just have to remember the important things, you know?"

The Album Cover
    "I feel like album covers used to be just as important as the music. And to me, I'm still that kind of dude, like, I still feel like if you can come up with something cool for your album cover that makes the whole package more beautiful. The album cover, of course, you see what's going on there: just love of life and appreciation of where I've come from and where I've been.

"On my first album, I said "life's a ? ," now I'm saying 'life is good.' That just shows you my journey has been peaks and valleys, ups and downs, obstacles, fun, all kinds of things that brought me to this place."

The Recording Process
    "This record was just me appreciating the people who listen to me for all these years and just understanding that it could've went a different route. I could be someone who don't love the music no more. For this record, my appreciation for the music is there."

The Cinematic Influence
    "The scene in 'Godfather II' was at the end when Michael Corleone was sitting on his property after all the executive decisions he had to make. He's sitting on his property just thinking.

The Tracks
    "Bye Baby": "That was a song that had to be done. It gets into my relationship that I had [with ex-wife Kelis] and why did things go wrong. You know, certain people just hit that point where they need to take a break or they need to move on separate ways. So 'Bye Bye' is a record that has that story line, from beginning to end. With life, you take [it] there's wins, there's losses, there's bad, there's joy, pain, all the emotions ... life is still good, no matter what, you have to keep your head up."

The Five-Word Description
    "Hip-hop, jazz, it's personal, love, it's a great sound put together by No I.D. and Salaam Remi and myself; it's all good.

"A lot of producers that I like, they sample a lot of jazz. They are inspired by jazz, so a lot of their music comes out that way. So a lot of the stuff I rapped on sounds like jazz. I was talking to Sting one time and he had heard Illmatic — someone played it for him — and he said, 'It's a jazz album!' I love that he said that because I got jazz in my soul."
  • Turfaholic
    Options
    I'm happy I didn't listen to anything from the album before the album dropped. I think Daughters changed my life.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I heard 'Reach Out' on radio here in the UK last nite
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    [quote=
    AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO THINK ROSS GOT HIM ON ACCIDENTAL MURDERS?[/quote]

U buggin...
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »

You don't belong over there dilla, you need to come to the states were you can feel the culture here that birthed HipHop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAimifh8uco&feature=youtube_gdata_player

They gotta play 'Reach Out' it's too juicy not to.

I have heard a lot of whispers that Nas got action at a Grammy and I can't think of anybody this year that could compete with him in that category unless 2-Chainz releases a lyrical masterpiece or French Montana makes another Illmatic.

We know the Grammys really don't mean ? but it's always nice to get a trophy and have your music recognized.

I guess Mary J can say she finally redeemed herself for BraveHeart Party.....that ? was not OK.
  • BobOblah
    edited July 2012
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    rip.dilla wrote: »

You don't belong over there dilla, you need to come to the states were you can feel the culture here that birthed HipHop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAimifh8uco&feature=youtube_gdata_player

They gotta play 'Reach Out' it's too juicy not to.

I have heard a lot of whispers that Nas got action at a Grammy and I can't think of anybody this year that could compete with him in that category unless 2-Chainz releases a lyrical masterpiece or French Montana makes another Illmatic.

We know the Grammys really don't mean ? but it's always nice to get a trophy and have your music recognized.

I guess Mary J can say she finally redeemed herself for BraveHeart Party.....that ? was not OK.

lol
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @'Rap Bruh, I don't need to come to the States to feel this ?

I'm well grounded. LOL

Yeah its looking like he just might get a Grammy nod next year

Its virtually the best HipHop record released this year
  • yeah i rap so don't
    yeah i rap so don't Members Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Nas album ? on every album from the last... 5 years maybe ten years (Since Stillmatic/Lost Tapes era) i mean he gave you vibes from the 90s to 2000s to now and it doesnt fall off one second from beginning to end. It's basically perfection if you want to call an album perfect. The Don is my favorite song but EVERY track bumps in your car with amazing bass and treble. I dunno bruh, it is what it is. 5mics without any argument. This thread should still be stickied, it might be talked about relevantly until October.
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    almost two weeks in and I can still play the album all the way through..

LIFE IS GOOD...
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Album of the summer
  • slugproof
    slugproof Members Posts: 260 ✭✭
    Options
    Loco-Motive...one of the illest tracks of the new millennium. The lyrics, the beat, the background train/subway noises...man...

"it's ghetto beef, sinister ? snicker through yellow teeth"

Nas aint no punchline rapper, but the images he brings forth with his lyrics are what makes him one of the GOATs
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas is the Miles Davis of hip hop.
  • Turfaholic
    Options
    Summer On Smash could've gave Nas a summer anthem if it was a single