The early 2000's

Options
5th Letter
5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
edited August 2012 in The Reason
Let's take it back to a time when jerseys were in style, baggy jeans and extra baggy and long white tees were in style. Velour sweatsuits, were hot.

Back when the neptunes, and timbaland were the two hottest producers. Ja rule was everywhere, pre racist tapes eminem, the south being on the cusp of blowing up but not being quite there yet. Let's take it back to when kanye was that oddball member of the roc, when nelly was selling records with his nursery raps. When 50 cent was just that dude that made how to rob and was killed by jigga with 1 line. Jay Z vs Nas, when Missy was the hottest female rapper, when lil wayne was just the wobbely, wobbely, wobbely rapper. Back when mixtapes was just comprised of a few freestyles over popular beats. Before Busta cut his dreads, when dipset was really a movement, when Jimmy was just that random dude in cam'ron videos. When the roc was an army and dame was in all the videos dancing. When Fat Joe really broke through despite being around since 93.

Let's discuss this era. The last era before things changed to it's current state. (2000-2003)

Comments

• soulbrother
    soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I graduated college in 2000...round this time I was still waiting for that Nas/AZ album...this bout when i stopped paying attention to HIP HOP and stayed commited to my old school tapes...
  • b@squ1@t redux
    b@squ1@t redux Members Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that jay-z line put 50 on the map more than anything else...

• El Payaso
    El Payaso Members Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DIPSET DIPSET DIPSET DIP OWWWWWWWWW!!
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    twas a great time. the music just had a great feeling.
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    Translation: The early 2000's: the last time New York had relevance

NY is still relevant today but that's not the point of this thread.
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GRODT was my ?
  • SlickestR
    SlickestR Members Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    i feel like the early 2000's is a somewhat underrated and overlooked. besides all the mini sub eras like the ringtone rap era, the pop and snap era, the dancing era, they had some good albums and artists to come out of the 2000's.

you had a lot of remixes, and i'm not just talking about Diddy being all over them ad-libs, but every major single out there at that time had a ? remix, and some of them damn remixes were better than the original itself.

Remember Welcome to Atlanta? At this moment all i recall playing in my head right now is Jermaine saying "Welcome to Atlanta...*Diddy cutting into say "This is the remix". Back when Nelly had the whole world shook up with the Tip Drill video, and women always stayed in them hip-hop videos shaking ass and looking hot n ? .

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Random musings:

Hated Ja...
    hated 50 a little less, loved the beef.

Nelly was cool, he stayed in his own lane and did his thing besides his ? was entirely too catchy to hate.

Ludacris blew up, doing humorous songs with colorful, lively videos. Reminiscent of a Southern Busta Rhymes. Surprised every one up here because then he became the king of features and held that crown until Lil Wayne crushed the buildings.

NY was having a civil war. Everybody was dissing everybody, ? was on the radios here in Detroit it got so bananas.

Outkast carried the South on their backs for awhile. Ms. Jackson was everywhere for no reason. It was playin at funerals and weddings, I'd never seen no ? like that before.

BET Uncut was keeping me up until 4am 5 days a week. It was worth it though.

I recorded Rap City freestyles on tapes everyday, I was still taping music videos then too.

Wyclef did a song with The Rock and I didn't understand why or what it was supposed to accomplish.

Battle of The Beats was crazy on the radio: Krayzie Bone's "We Starvin" feat. Gangsta Boo & E-40 was killing the competition every week. He won like 6-7 weeks straight, it was wild.

To be continued....
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    u can't mention the early millenium without mentioning the LOX and Jadakiss.........
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    C/S thread.

Early 2g's had some good ? .
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Continuing to random muse....

Ja started doing duets and hood ? was down with it because "the hos like it"

Nelly had ? wearing bandaids on their faces and their jerseys on backwards on some Kris Kross ? .

Michael Vick was ? to anyone who watched football.

Aftermath co-opted XXL magazine and was on every cover for like 2 years during the Benzino debacle.

Styles P threatened to slap Eminem over the racist tape...they ended up on "Welcome To D-Block" later on

Beans went nuts on Jadakiss, then Kiss went nuts on Beans. Best battle ever.

Jay killed Def Jam as we knew it by upsetting LL, X, Red & ? ...luckily for him he ended up signing Nas & Jeezy to replace LL & X who took off.

Everybody hated Kanye West. Jim Jones hated him and he hated Nas too...then he also hated Jay-Z and then he even hated Cam for awhile. Jimmy was an angry dude.

Hi-Tek & Talib Kweli's "The Blast" was on heavy rotation on TV (rap city).

Busta'? average was increasing, just about everything he did was major: "Make it Clap", "Pass The Courvoiser" (sp?), "As I Come Back", "Break Ya Neck" dude was everywhere

Snoop Dogg unveiled Doggyfizzle Televizzle. Which was ? hilarious but MTV was too cheap to pay for more episodes.

Pun said he lost 100 lbs and was tryna live...then Pun died

? was wearing spaghetti strapped wife beaters because 50 was doing it.

More to come....
  • SlickestR
    SlickestR Members Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    got shot 9 times. highlight of 50 Cent's career
  • b@squ1@t redux
    b@squ1@t redux Members Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so basically 50 owns this thread ok
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    Can't forget jay z and fab dropping albums on 9/11/01
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    The last genuine rappers came out of that time. No one with their own mind came out past 2003. After that it got pretty formulated and polished. It became all about being fly off dope money period after Jeezy finally blew.

Its steadily tanked year by year since then.

Lets face it, their may be alot of talent these days, but knowone is buying what these dudes saying anymore. Unless you Drake (who was already known) or J.Cole (lame as ? but the closest we got to genuine), you aint moving real units unless you already 10 years deep in the game.

The dudes who were hot in that window of time, 00'-03', really dropped the ball. They all started trend hopping and copying the dudes who looked up to them.

Look into Jay Z's for the best example of that, Wayne not to shabby either
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OutKast/Ludacris/Mystikal were running the South. All crazy albums and they ran the charts. Three Six also got some mainstream recognition off When The Smoke Clears.

Timbaland/The Neptunes had the production game on lock.

Pastor Troy/T.I./Lil' Jon/Oomp Camp were holding down the A

Nas was beefing with Jay and host of other rappers. He also dropped Stillmatic, Lost Tapes, and ? 's Son. He was also featured on a lot of remixes and albums from A. Keys, J. Lo, Scarface, Jaheim, Jagged Edge, Brandy, Ja Rule, 8 Mile Soundtrack, and others.

Jay Z had the beef with Nas/Mobb Deep and rappers that he only gave half a bar to. He dropped Blueprint and The Black Album. BP2 was solid, but the fact that it was double LP meant much more filler than TBA and BP.

R&B Music was quality w/ Aaliyah's last album, a couple of MJB albums, A. Keys' debut and sophomore releases, Jill Scott's debut, Erykah Badu's second studio album, D'angelo's second album, Jaheim, R. Kelly's TP2.com, and Beyonce's debut.

Hip Hop was balanced. Each coast got shine and you could even hear something like Common's "The Light", dead.prez's "Hip Hop" or Reflection Eternal's "The Blast" on the radio.
  • Cigarello Slim
    Cigarello Slim Members Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One of the main things I miss about the early 2000's was the fact that Reggae was still getting love on the radio/mainstream.
  • dandctt
    dandctt Members Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember...

BET still had Hits from the street, citas world, Rap City with Big Tigger, the REAL 106 and Park, the center, and all the good shows still.

still being able to watch videos all summer non-stop cuz they were still interesting.

Seeing the XXL with 50/Em/Dre, hearing 'in da club' and other 50 songs all the time on the radio and having a feeling something big was happening.

Copping chingys 'jackpot' from a homie at school on bootleg for $5 and thinkin it was pretty decent

Gettin 'The Black Album' from the same homie and knowing i heard a classic and listening to it everyday for the rest of 03

Hearing 'hot in herre' in summer 2002 for the first time on BET and RUNNING to the computer to download it off kazaa and after about 15-20 mins (my dad had the super fast internet!!) bumping it.

Having to have my undershirt slightly longer than my overshirt like how G-Unit was wearing it in the Stunt 101 video (I aint ashamed to admit it lol)

The clothes I wore had to be Sean John, Rocawear, Enyce, Nike, Fubu, Southpole, Jersey, or a white/black/red/blue tee.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Some missing points

-Up In Smoke and Hard Knock Life Tours

-Last time Dre was really out there like that. Put Xzibit out to the mainstream.

-Trick Daddy was the King Of Miami

-Intro to TI

- Outkast and Eminem took over the world with Speakerboxx/The Love Below/TES/8 Mile/50
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Honestly I felt no different about the rap music being released in 00-03 than I do about the rap music being released now. Hated most of what was being played on the radio but appreciated what was being made in the underground
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I forgot Wyclef did a sing with The Rock...smh
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Back when I watched 106 n park just to see the "Tipsy" video.. I loved that ? .. and Ja Rule ft JLo "Im Real"
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Last time when the streets had relevance in hip hop. Last time when rappers had skills and weren't afraid of using them.

Lil Jon really upset the balance of everything