The early 2000's

Options

Comments

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »
    Last time when the streets had relevance in hip hop.

Jeezy
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meant the old east coast
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That Jay Z line to 50 was vicious though. "I'm about a dollar what the ? is 50 cent"
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I I just remember hating Ja Rule and his pop lullabies being every (10 years later we have Drake doing the same ? ).

The Neptunes damn sure milked the ? out their formula, same thing for Timbaland. I think the superproducers played a big part in watering down hiphop, rappers started running to what work instead of developing their own sound.

• And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What should we call this era?
    I remember being in middle school when dipset took over...everybody had some bootlegs(I'm from bmore). I had a cd player(no mp3) with "I really mean it" on repeat walking to school. Just blaze was that dude. Jay and Nas beef made friends enemies lol. No one since I've been alive has been able to match the type of buzz 50 had. They played good ? on the radio and BET. Rap city was my ? . Probably the last great era of music then Crunk came then Snap.
  • tharealest561
    tharealest561 Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember in the early 2000's when Lil Wayne dropped that lukewarm 500 degreez and everybody was hating on him for tryna 1 up Juvey lol

Ja Rule had it on lock and in the span of 1 year was the laughing stock of the game
  • MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol@ all these rapper/hood movies

Baller Blockin
    State Property
    Obstacles
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Ja had ? on smash from for about 2 yrs.

Nelly came out with a nursery rhyme and went on to sell major units.

Jermaine relaunched So So Def off a lil kid (Lil Bow Wow).

Eminem went from "aww hell nah not another white rapper to This dude can spit".

Having a Roc chain meant u was on the Hottest label.

Killa joins the Roc and Dipset pops off.

Terror squad loses Pun and Cuban leaves.

Dmx Starts off strong then goes on a downward spiral.

Nas vs Jay... Ja vs 50... Dipset vs Nas....Dmx vs Ja....etc Era of Battling

50 comes and takes ? by storm.

Lil Jon gets ? crunk!!!!

Outkast leads the South to takeover.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Classic hood movies like paper soldiers, shottas, and state property.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shottas is horrible! Man I never understood the love for that movie. State Property was ight those I ? with that, SP 2 was funny, I like how they went from gangsta to comedy that ? was interesting.
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The last great era in rap, even though I hated almost everything in it.

First off, Em was the GOAT of that era... ? what y'all think.
    Street Wars series had the streets on fire during that period.
    The south was in its prime lyrically (Stankonia, Trap Muzik, Space Age 4 Eva, Speakerboxxx/Love Below, Watermelon, Chicken and Grits, Killer Mike's debut)
    Nas pulled a Tina Turner type comeback on ? .
    The west held it down in the underground (Deltron 3030, all of Madlib's stuff, etc)
    Talib Kweli... nuff said.
    And the best mixtape to come from that era: DJ Clue's Mixtape For Dummies Vol 2 (the one with both Beanie/Jada's disses)
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ja had ? on smash from for about 2 yrs.

Nelly came out with a nursery rhyme and went on to sell major units.

Jermaine relaunched So So Def off a lil kid (Lil Bow Wow).

Eminem went from "aww hell nah not another white rapper to This dude can spit".

Having a Roc chain meant u was on the Hottest label.

Killa joins the Roc and Dipset pops off.

Terror squad loses Pun and Cuban leaves.

Dmx Starts off strong then goes on a downward spiral.

Nas vs Jay... Ja vs 50... Dipset vs Nas....Dmx vs Ja....etc Era of Battling

50 comes and takes ? by storm.

Lil Jon gets ? crunk!!!!

Outkast leads the South to takeover.

I was about to GOAT till the bolded.

I can honestly say Outkast did not have a big effect on what would go on to come out the A later that decade. T.I./Jeezy are responsible for making the south relevant in the 2000's. Outkast transcended region, and Luda wasnt southern enough to make the south cool.
  • SlickestR
    SlickestR Members Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hood Hop and J-Kwon
  • SlickestR
    SlickestR Members Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Last time when the streets had relevance in hip hop. Last time when rappers had skills and weren't afraid of using them.

Lil Jon really upset the balance of everything

Lil Jon gave birth to ? like Waka Flocka.. OJ Juiceman and them ? .
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Outkast had no effect...ok
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Speakerboxxx/The Love Below set ? off before Jeezy came out and before T.i hit it big on a national level

lil jon set ? off for the south also before jeezy/ti

and i cant forget UGK
  • KBOOG2012
    KBOOG2012 Members Posts: 16
    Options
    I was a freshman/sophmore in college in 2001-2002 and looking back it was the best time period for me music wise. Hip hop was so well represented with a great balance on radio/tv of different artists from all over the country and not one form dominated another. All this great music co-existed together. Great commerical and street music was being made. NYC had so many dope freestyle/mixtape artists plus the ROC, Murder Inc, Lox, Shyne, G Dep, Bad Boy, Budden, etc...

Dont forget about R&B during this time as well. Glenn Lewis, Dwele, Dave Hollister, Ginuwine, Tank, Tyrese...etc.

Great time in my life and a great soundtrack for it. Damn. Nostalgia is a ? .
  • moedays
    moedays Members Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Early 2000's was the beginning of the whole style over substance era that dominates today. I was 27 in 2001, so I saw all of hip hops transitions. It became really watered down around then, imo.
  • juan travolta
    juan travolta Members Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rap city was the ? , use to watch that everyday after school.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Remembers that Grindin beat dropping and ? going crazy.

O use to buy 2 cds a week, now i don't even buy two a year. lol
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Last time when the streets had relevance in hip hop. Last time when rappers had skills and weren't afraid of using them.

Lil Jon really upset the balance of everything

The downfall was the lil jon imitators though. They copied what he was doing but only ended up making 1 hit song, and an album full of ? ones, which helped lead to the ringtone era. at least with lil jon's album you would get a couple hits at least (besides crunk rock). lil jon being a producer helped him as well, there was a time when it seemed like all you needed was a lil jon beat and you had a hit.
  • KBOOG2012
    KBOOG2012 Members Posts: 16
    Options
    OutKast/Ludacris/Mystikal were running the South. All crazy albums and they ran the charts. Three Six also got some mainstream recognition off When The Smoke Clears.

Timbaland/The Neptunes had the production game on lock.

Pastor Troy/T.I./Lil' Jon/Oomp Camp were holding down the A

Nas was beefing with Jay and host of other rappers. He also dropped Stillmatic, Lost Tapes, and ? 's Son. He was also featured on a lot of remixes and albums from A. Keys, J. Lo, Scarface, Jaheim, Jagged Edge, Brandy, Ja Rule, 8 Mile Soundtrack, and others.

Jay Z had the beef with Nas/Mobb Deep and rappers that he only gave half a bar to. He dropped Blueprint and The Black Album. BP2 was solid, but the fact that it was double LP meant much more filler than TBA and BP.

R&B Music was quality w/ Aaliyah's last album, a couple of MJB albums, A. Keys' debut and sophomore releases, Jill Scott's debut, Erykah Badu's second studio album, D'angelo's second album, Jaheim, R. Kelly's TP2.com, and Beyonce's debut.

Hip Hop was balanced. Each coast got shine and you could even hear something like Common's "The Light", dead.prez's "Hip Hop" or Reflection Eternal's "The Blast" on the radio

Ha. Yeah, exactly what I was trying to say. Good post.
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember everybody @ school had drumsticks with the different color tape wrapped around them becuz of Drumline.. lol .. I mean ? who couldn't play worth a ? .. lil future thugs of America had a pair of decorated Drumsticks.. and ? rocking camouflage becuz of the Double R