emcee over the song "Heartbreak" from his Purp &
Patron mixtape.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/m/index.php?s=news&id=20679

The mixtape game is under fire.

Comments

• mdot
    mdot Members Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lawsuits is the hottest thing lately in the rap game. I didn't even listen to California Republic. Purp and Patron and Candy Caronas and RED were enough material for me.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I listen to all Game's tapes but most of it is nonsense and not worth remembering Cali Republic is such a project.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah game's tapes are the type that you listen to one time and that's it really.
  • mdot
    Options
    I still listen to some of his mixtapes especially you know what it is volume 4. But that's just me I like most of his mixtapes except from the stuff I heard on republic.
  • jono
    Options
    YKWII4 is the Murda Game Chronicles right? Yeah that and YKWII3 are really the only ones I ? with heavy.
  • Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didn't know u can sue.somebody for a song used on a mixtape since itwasnt intended to make a profit
  • mdot
    Options
    Yeah it's the murder game chronicles. It's the best he's ever spit to me even if it is a mixtape and not an album.

Someone else will get sued in about a week.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    I didn't know u can sue.somebody for a song used on a mixtape since itwasnt intended to make a profit

• yeah i rap so don't
    yeah i rap so don't Members Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The producer owned the rights and it was an original beat. Game ignored contact with dude and used it without an agreement.
  • TrueGodHS
    TrueGodHS Members Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Regardless..... didnt know you could actually SUE for a mixtape beat.... even if it's original, it was put out for profit, and no one knows the actual arrangement that was made with the beat so..... could be BS
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Game using the track on his mixtape probably prevented anyone from buying it for a legit album track. The producer probably sent the track to a lot of artist in hopes someone would wanna buy it. Game is foul for that. Artist have to pay for promotion, too, whether they're giving out for free or not. And a lot of these mixtapes do end up being sold for profit in different outlets. I saw a copy of purp and patronon sale at Amoeba a week after I downloaded. And SMH at practically inventing the "double album" mixtape...
  • jono
    Options
    These types of situations open up pandora's box. Most artists do mixtape for free and promotional purposes, they don't make any money off of mixtapes.

It doesn't make sense there's too many wires crossing. Indeed you can sue if you used somebody's material for profit without permission or without sliding a couple dollars to someone to use it but who is going to pay for production on something they are giving away?!

That's why mixtapes are going to die. The whole mixtape game has gotten too big so of course now people are going to leech off it.

To be honest though, there's no telling what their arrangement was so I won't say this is frivolous but it the mixtape game in itself will change irreparably especially if these lawsuits have any standing.
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options
    If dude get bread then Lil Wayne can sue Jay for using the Milli beat. Yea this gonna kinda mess things up for the Mixtape game.
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options
    @yeahirapsodont

But on a mixtape its for Promotional Use Only meaning there's no profit being made so what exactly is he suing for? I don't know the contract but if Game didn't pay then the contract should be null and void right? So shouldnt he be able to still shop the beat?
  • damayor187
    damayor187 Members Posts: 387 ✭✭✭
    Options
    IF your copywritten material is used without your consent you can sue. It's the same as downloading movies. You are not downloading the movies for profit. You are downloading copywritten material which purchasing it gives you the lease to the movie to watch. You don't have to make a profit from using copywritten material and getting sued. If its copywritten you have to have permission to use the the material.
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A lot of rappers may be in trouble.
  • gunot_killa
    gunot_killa Members Posts: 1,330
    Options
    Gayme is a fuccing loser. how da fucc you get sued over a mixtape song????????? you'll never c spider loc getting sued over a mixed tape song. karma continues to bit gayme in da ass fo jumping my crip patna 40 glocc with guns drawn.
  • SlickestR
    SlickestR Members Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? ' Mac Miller.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gayme is a fuccing loser. how da fucc you get sued over a mixtape song????????? you'll never c spider loc getting sued over a mixed tape song. karma continues to bit gayme in da ass fo jumping my crip patna 40 glocc with guns drawn.
    because no one outside of his family listens to him. he could drop a mixtape of detox songs and only 5 people would hear it. He should get sued for being a ? rapper though, and thrown in the bushes with his boyfriend 40 glocc
  • gunot_killa
    gunot_killa Members Posts: 1,330
    Options
    because no one outside of his family listens to him. he could drop a mixtape of detox songs and only 5 people would hear it. He should get sued for being a ? rapper though, and thrown in the bushes with his boyfriend 40 glocc

40 glocc will throw u in da bushes punk.
  • Gen. Stasia
    Options
    @Damayor187

But Movies are different because nobody is downloading movies and editing themselves in the movie then passing them out. But I get what u sain with Copywrite material
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SlickestR
    SlickestR Members Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    this ? sounding worse than Nas, ? there ain't gon be an destruction of hip-hop.

if ? gets serious these ? are gonna

A) use all original and paid works for their mixtapes

B) are gonna have to step up their game when making an album.

c) have more albums than mixtapes
  • 209murdamike
    209murdamike Members Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    Options

40 glocc will throw u in da bushes punk.

on his way into them
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All these old head gone ? around and black ball they self right out of hip hop