Jamaican Americans.....

Options

Comments

• blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    i love jamaicans and jamaican culture. y'all have great food, great music, what's not to love?
    I'm bout to go get some oxtail right now LAWD them Jamaicans be hookin it up!!

^^^Jamaicans by default (see my other post)

they love the land of wood and water

:)
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see what you did there!!!
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't care what continent, coast, island or wherever you from. We all fam. That divisive ? has gotten us and continues to get us nowhere. Self hating, crab in a ? barrel ass people...smdh.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Options
    My auntie is Jamaican and WHOOO LAWD when she says she bout to cook my mouth starts watering!!!! ? I'm hungry
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Without the hatin, name calling, and anger (for real) I been genuinely curious as to why Jamaicans come here. I dont know but I heard you only need to make a few dollars a day to live there and its a tropical paradise (I realize it aint all good) But is it just for opportunities. And why dont people go back there when they get money here to make their money go much farther? Honest questions.

most come here because of the economic opportunities

most of us stay here because our family is here............

also there is a lot of political/societal problems that make it preferential to live in the US

police brutality and crime is adorable in America compared to overseas........that's why I laugh at these "? the police" types
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nex gin wrote: »
    I don't care what continent, coast, island or wherever you from. We all fam. That divisive ? has gotten us and continues to get us nowhere. Self hating, crab in a ? barrel ass people...smdh.

Word I can't stand all that ? . We were all bought over here during the African diaspora, so it don't matter if u jamaican, black american, hatian, cuban, domincan, brazilian, guyanese, trinidadian, bahaman, barbadian, etc.., we all originate from west africa. The only thing seperating us is the fact that we landed in different parts of the western hemisphere.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Options
    Guyanese>>>>

I'm just sayin tho :- ?
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smh@ an adult asking y someone would leave their small country and immigrate to a larger more prosperous country....fucku got to school at? and the reason y these countries stay poor is as someone already said here politicians stealing money.....also i heard some of them are gettin paid salaries like they are American politicians from large states....dat ? cray
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nex gin wrote: »

Word I can't stand all that ? . We were all bought over here during the African diaspora, so it don't matter if u jamaican, black american, hatian, cuban, domincan, brazilian, guyanese, trinidadian, bahaman, barbadian, etc.., we all originate from west africa. The only thing seperating us is the fact that we landed in different parts of the western hemisphere.

Dig that. We find a million reasons to dislike each other ( grade of hair, hairstyle, the way we dress, skin complexion, street you grew up on, color of your hat, city/state/zip you were born, who yo kinfolk, who makes the best koolaid, etc ), but can't come together & stick together for one common cause. IMO, that will always be reason #1 why we can't collectively get ahead.
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Without the hatin, name calling, and anger (for real) I been genuinely curious as to why Jamaicans come here. I dont know but I heard you only need to make a few dollars a day to live there and its a tropical paradise (I realize it aint all good) But is it just for opportunities. And why dont people go back there when they get money here to make their money go much farther? Honest questions.

most come here because of the economic opportunities

most of us stay here because our family is here............

also there is a lot of political/societal problems that make it preferential to live in the US

police brutality and crime is adorable in America compared to overseas........that's why I laugh at these "? the police" types

I actually understand That helps explain it. Thats a place I wanna visit. I guess the people who wanna stay do for the most part, but people come to America from there and every where for a lot of the same reasons.
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    when Jamaicans come to the U.S, they perform better than most Black Americans. Whether it's finacial, academics, employment w/e.

2nd, LmAO @ Black Americans where is y'all flag????

3rd you out here claiming America, where immigrants & dogs have more rights n opportunities than u. #Lauce

? , even the 1st recognized black president have no black american lineage in him. #Lauce

• Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also consider this for a second:

The United States is perceived by many as the central hub of Black progress in the entire world. And I don't think it would be a stretch to dub the USA as so. After all, the amount of Black success stories that are popular on a global scale seems to come from the USA in record form (compared to the rest of the world).

But more importantly are the socioeconomic progressive moves made by Blacks in America. The Civil Rights movement and ensuing Black Pride movements and Obama as president. Really, the fact that Blacks have achieved what they have in the midst of being the low numbered outsiders in the US is a testament in and of itself.

I say that to say this: when people of African descent emigrate to the States and aren't exactly latching themselves on to American blacks and taking both figurative/literal arms in the Black struggle/experience; its a bit jarring.

I personally think that we as Blacks Americans consider ourselves as the "definitive" Black people around the world. Thanks to living in America, our struggles and voices are known the world over. Our culture is highly imitated. "Our" Black people are some of the world's greatest icons.

So when it turns out that there are African people around the world who see things a bit differently, who have their own perceptions, and don't even consider themselves "Black" in the sense of relating to African Americans, once again...its a bit jarring. Which in IMO leads to AA's ostracizing foreign Blacks.

just my two cents
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's too late in the game to be on this crab in the barrel ? , y'all.
  • mr.jamrock
    mr.jamrock Members Posts: 435 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Came in to comment on my land but decided to let the ? keep talking. 876 land i love.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i know i dont have to come in here an ether this ? like i did that bold thread....

im done my e-thuggin for the year...so i'll fall back into my character an just make smart ass remarks every now and then ...so uh

yall just like us...except the country is broke. now go get me some of that blue mountain coffee...that ? is good.

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

The United States is perceived by many as the central hub of Black progress in the entire world. And I don't think it would be a stretch to dub the USA as so. After all, the amount of Black success stories that are popular on a global scale seems to come from the USA in record form (compared to the rest of the world).

But more importantly are the socioeconomic progressive moves made by Blacks in America. The Civil Rights movement and ensuing Black Pride movements and Obama as president. Really, the fact that Blacks have achieved what they have in the midst of being the low numbered outsiders in the US is a testament in and of itself.

I say that to say this: when people of African descent emigrate to the States and aren't exactly latching themselves on to American blacks and taking both figurative/literal arms in the Black struggle/experience; its a bit jarring.

I personally think that we as Blacks Americans consider ourselves as the "definitive" Black people around the world. Thanks to living in America, our struggles and voices are known the world over. Our culture is highly imitated. "Our" Black people are some of the world's greatest icons.

So when it turns out that there are African people around the world who see things a bit differently, who have their own perceptions, and don't even consider themselves "Black" in the sense of relating to African Americans, once again...its a bit jarring. Which in IMO leads to AA's ostracizing foreign Blacks.

just my two cents

And that's part of the American "the world should see things how we do mindset" that some can't get past when dealing with blacks from other countries. It shouldn't be jarring that a black person from a foreign country wouldn't identify completely with Black Americans, their entire scope of things is different. They grew up in a different culture with different norms, customs, and a way of living. I agree with @blak...alot of the issues with black americans and foreign blacks stems from a mixture of ignorance about blacks outside the states and arrogance about Black Americans being the definition of what it means to be black. There should be no way a person shouldn't hear how ignorant they sound saying someone is mixed with black and Jamaican. That's black mixed with black.
  • FucktheIC
    FucktheIC Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm here b/c my mom wanted to make a better life for me. I haven't gone back to help b/c I'm not in a position to yet. Once I am, I will do all I can. Jamaica's still poor b/c unlike America it's only been a free country for 50 years(today's the anniversary.

Stop catching feelings, ? .
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ "AA" believing that the USA is "their" country... You ? lost...which leads to dumb threads such as this.

Jamaicans>>>misguided black Americans that pledge alligence to the stars and stripes.

Digest that, contemplate and wake the ? up.
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

just my two cents

And that's part of the American "the world should see things how we do mindset" that some can't get past when dealing with blacks from other countries. It shouldn't be jarring that a black person from a foreign country wouldn't identify completely with Black Americans, their entire scope of things is different. They grew up in a different culture with different norms, customs, and a way of living. I agree with @blak...alot of the issues with black americans and foreign blacks stems from a mixture of ignorance about blacks outside the states and arrogance about Black Americans being the definition of what it means to be black. There should be no way a person shouldn't hear how ignorant they sound saying someone is mixed with black and Jamaican. That's black mixed with black.

so is French mixed with Irish... Scottish mixed with English... Cambodian mixed with Japanese.. Vietnamese mixed with Korean, etc etc etc.
    but are they ignorant ???
    no
    so shut the ? up then...but cosign the other stuff u were u spitting.
  • CockMcStuffins
    CockMcStuffins Members Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Dat_? _B1 wrote: »
    Lol @ "AA" believing that the USA is "their" country... You ? lost...which leads to dumb threads such as this.

Jamaicans>>>misguided black Americans that pledge alligence to the stars and stripes.

Digest that, contemplate and wake the ? up. [/quot
    You're from England so u pledge allegiance to a ? queen, plus sings ? save our queen

Ain't u the cat whose baby mama slept with the guy who stabbed and shot u while u were in the hospital recuperating?

And are u the same cat who let another cat be putting your son on timeout, making the lil ? get on his knees in a corner while he play COD on your old Xbox?
  • CockMcStuffins
    Options
    Sorry for the ? up quote
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    ? that old hoe. ? looks like my ? + ? after a hour in the pool.
  • CockMcStuffins
    Options
    FucktheIC wrote: »
    I'm here b/c my mom wanted to make a better life for me. I haven't gone back to help b/c I'm not in a position to yet. Once I am, I will do all I can. Jamaica's still poor b/c unlike America it's only been a free country for 50 years(today's the anniversary.

Stop catching feelings, ? .

Canada has only been independent for 30 and they are in way better shape than Jamaicans

Canadians>>>>>>>>>>>>jamaicans
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol at comparing Canada to Jamaica...yea I've finally heard it all